X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passion of the Nerd has done Dear Boy

https://youtu.be/RSpycaKsckQ

Comment

I'm also disappointed that the folks from Pop Culture Role Call aren't going to rewatch the whole show, but I guess it's understandable because it would be very time-consuming. In any case, I'm definitely going to join their Patreon, once I've figured out how that works!
      https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Originally posted by Double Dutchess View Post
        I'm also disappointed that the folks from Pop Culture Role Call aren't going to rewatch the whole show, but I guess it's understandable because it would be very time-consuming. In any case, I'm definitely going to join their Patreon, once I've figured out how that works!
        https://www.patreon.com/m/2556877/posts
        It's pretty simple but you need a paypal - I created one. I feel so tech savvy!
        Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

• bespangeled
          bespangeled commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually I'm thinking Stasia should do Angel. Mike knows enough to follow Cordy to Fred to Illyria. I would love to hear about his love of Darla through her eyes!

• Priceless
          Priceless commented
          Editing a comment
          Doubt Stasia will get the next lead as she's been Buffy, but you never know. Personally I don't like switching characters. Fred will know so much Cordy stuff that it would get complicated

• Double Dutchess
          Double Dutchess commented
          Editing a comment
          I like your suggestions, bespangeled. I think Mike as Cordy -> Fred could work, and Stasia would probably enjoy being Angel! It would give her a whole new perspective

Is It just me or Passion of the Nerds review getting longer, but less good somehow? Maybe that or i'm just not feeling it these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
          Is It just me or Passion of the Nerds review getting longer, but less good somehow? Maybe that or i'm just not feeling it these days.
          I enjoyed his review, but I do wish he'd get back to Buffy as I'm more interested in that show. To be honest I've found a lot of his previous reviews a bit waffly, he says a lot without saying anything. But the production values are so good I give him a pass

Comment

I just tried to listen to Still Pretty podcast for episodes This Year's Girl/Who Are You, but they're so preachy I couldn't listen to the end. I mean if they're looking for sexism in every scene, I'm sure they'll find it.
            I gave up on this podcast, and it's sad because I loved Lani's views on s7 when she still did those Youtube videos.

Comment

• redtent
              redtent commented
              Editing a comment
              Right? They find the misogyny in things I don't even think about twice. Instead of discussing the plot and themes of an episode, it's the man this, patriarchy this, and so on. I know that the show is dated in some aspects but come on.

• Priceless
              Priceless commented
              Editing a comment
              It's a tv show, there isn't one that doesn't have some sexism inherent in it. I wish they could comment and move on, but they get stuck in a rut and it makes them so difficult to listen to.

• bespangeled
              bespangeled commented
              Editing a comment
              It drives me nuts, and they have to know they are preaching to the choir. Lani sounds like none of us have ever even run into the concept of misogyny and therefore she must explain in great detail every flaw while repeating the same lecture she gave last week. And the week before, so on ad infinitum.

The Nevers Podcast
            has a new episode on these three ladies out. There will be another follow up.

Last edited by Willow from Buffy; 16-03-20, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Just finished Pop Culture Role Call series wrap up. It was really enjoyable. I especially liked that season 6 got so much love, as everyone seemed to enjoy it.

Stasia's biggest gripes where about Angel not keeping the ring of Amara. She was also very concerned about what happened to Angels curse. I think she's still hoping Angel and Buffy will get together.

I enjoyed Stasia calling out Faith and saying that one of her favourite Buffy lines was 'I am better than you' when speaking to Faith.

They were asked if they would have preferred season 5's ending to season 7's and they all said season 7 was a better ending and the character growth in season 6 and 7 was well worth not having season 5 as the finale. I have to say I completely agree with them.

​​​​​ Sorry to see this podcast moving on to Orphan Black, although I really like the show I doubt I'll listen. But I am a fully paid up member of their patreon so I'll be listening to all their Buffy reviews in the future.

Comment

• Double Dutchess
                Editing a comment
                I haven't finished listening to it and haven't gotten to the "Orphan Black" part yet, but that's disappointing news. I would have kept listening if they'd done any show I've seen, even one I wasn't very fond of, but I haven't seen this one so it won't be interesting to me.

• bespangeled
                bespangeled commented
                Editing a comment
                I hadn't heard about Orphan Black either - though I was the one who suggested it. That is one of very few shows I find it worthwhile to rewatch again. Amazing show! I resisted it because I thought it had to be dumb but I seriously love it! Dutchess - it you have the time, I highly recommend it, even if you don't listen to the podcast.

• Priceless
                Priceless commented
                Editing a comment
                Orphan Black was an okay show, Tatiana Maslany gave a brilliant performance, but I have no desire to re-watch it or listen to a podcast about it, though I think I might be in the minority and it'll get a bigger audience maybe then BtVS

Originally posted by Willow from Buffy View Post

The Nevers Podcast
              has a new episode on these three ladies out. There will be another follow up.

Did you listen to it? Is it worth listening to?

flow
              ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                Just finished Pop Culture Role Call series wrap up. It was really enjoyable. I especially liked that season 6 got so much love, as everyone seemed to enjoy it.

Stasia's biggest gripes where about Angel not keeping the ring of Amara. She was also very concerned about what happened to Angels curse. I think she's still hoping Angel and Buffy will get together.

I enjoyed Stasia calling out Faith and saying that one of her favourite Buffy lines was 'I am better than you' when speaking to Faith.

They were asked if they would have preferred season 5's ending to season 7's and they all said season 7 was a better ending and the character growth in season 6 and 7 was well worth not having season 5 as the finale. I have to say I completely agree with them.

​​​​​ Sorry to see this podcast moving on to Orphan Black, although I really like the show I doubt I'll listen. But I am a fully paid up member of their patreon so I'll be listening to all their Buffy reviews in the future.
                I really enjoyed the outpouring of love at the end of the series. Colin's final discussion about the Buffy fandom, and how incredible we are was enjoyable, and I loved the way he tied that to how the characters on the show relate. He spoke about how he didn't think it was a simple coincidence that we were drawn to the show because it teaches us so much about caring for each other, and it changes us.

Stasia is really a Bangel fan, and even though I am not, I like her pure enjoyment. She explained at one time that she is a sucker for the big dramatic romance with sweeping music and not so much for the gritty realistic story of growth. I love the fact that they were all asked which character they would most like to be if they had to switch and they all said Spike. There was a lot of Spike love there, and throughout the entire series.

I
                Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

• Double Dutchess
                  Editing a comment
                  Stasia doesn't like musicals for nothing

• BtVS fan
                  BtVS fan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Can't be that much of a fan if they aren't doing Angel S5

• Priceless
                  Priceless commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah the Spike love was great to hear. They've not been spoilt so they don't know that Spike is alive and on S5 AtS

Originally posted by flow View Post

Did you listen to it? Is it worth listening to?

flow
                Yes, I really like these guys.

Comment

So Chipperish have done Fool For Love
                  Lani loves it, Noelle not so much
                  https://chipperish.com/2020/04/23/11...or-love-s5-07/

Comment

• Priceless
                    Priceless commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well I don't like Noelle so much

• bespangeled
                    bespangeled commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I listen to about half of each podcast. Once that get into the whole "This is not all right!!!!" I move on. I am glad they are woke - I just get tired of the same lecture.

• Priceless
                    Priceless commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I just wish the woke weren't so boring. Being bored makes me more conservative

Pop Culture Role Call - I Remember You; interesting discussion, but I am glad Mike is there or it'd just be a total Angel lovefest

Comment

• bespangeled
                    bespangeled commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So very true! Do you comment on the discord chat? I posted the link to the Fanged Four history, which was a big hit. I am actually really enjoying Orphan Black. Stasia really is Allison, but I'm not sure she realizes it.

• Priceless
                    Priceless commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm not listening to the Orphan Black podcast, but I can certainly see Stasia as Allison

A guy called Michael Rosenbaum is doing a podcast called insideofyou and this week's guest is no other but James Marsters. Apparently he talks about acting, art, Smallville, his niece, and the cast and crew of BtVS. I haven't listened to it yet and can't say if it is worth listening too but I thought there are so many podcast fans here on this board that one or the other might want to give it a try.

flow
                  ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

• SpikeRocks
                    SpikeRocks commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've listened! It's also a video on YT. It's good!

Here are the Podcasts I love!

Tiny Fences: Adored this podcast....they did Buffy and Firefly verses, if I recall....I really missed them when it was over (when there was no more buffyverse)

Rewatchable/Hypable: Also really adored this series.....their Buffy and Angel rewatches (they watch with both superfans and newbies each ep) were a long while back, but are still available

Once More With Commentary: These ladies are very sharp, and also super critical in their rewatches of Buffy and Angel.....I think some may find them too critical, and therefore won't enjoy listening, but I actually really appreciate the different angles they come from when discussing the eps....helps me think differently on them as well

Pop Culture Role Call: The format for this podcast was really frustrating, but also super interesting, so I enjoyed their watch of BtVS......for the most part. Colin I adored, Mike was great, though Stasia I flat out couldn't stand. It's been a while since I listened to them, but I remember being really into it until sometime in S7........somewhere in S7, and definitely in the series finale and review, I grew really irate over the bangel stuff they just wouldn't let go of, and all the things they missed and totally misinterpreted due to their format. It was the end of the series, so I was just expecting better comprehension by then and I lost my patience for hearing their "narrative" of the episodes/show being so completely off. They were planning on a rewatch of I Will Remember You, and I was just like "Nope! I'm out of here!" no way in hell can I stomach that from them at this point. Which sucks, cause I was jazzed about them potentially doing it back when they were in Buffy S4.

Still Pretty: Always really enjoy hearing these ladies. They're superfans and geek out over all the characters/moments/dialog, but also focus on dissecting the story decisions and viewing the writing decisions from a 2020 woke lens, which I appreciate (I don't want to only listen to people fawning over the show and echoing my own feelings on it, I want to also be shown all the deep social/cultural flaws that have escaped me in watching it, now that we can all look back and analyse things properly and from our current perspective)

Buffering the Vampire Slayer/Angel on Top: These, especially Buffering, are an absolute joy....they create their own wholly unique listening experience and entertainment, with jingles and songs attached to each character and episode. Nothing really goes missed in their episode reviews, and they even sell tickets for live shows held at venues---they're that entertaining. This is probably my favorite

I'm sure there are more I've listened to, but I can't think of them right now

Comment

Working...
                  X