No announcement yet.

Favourite Podcasts part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listening to Pop Cultures Chosen. Stasia is so happy at her OTP appearing in the last episode. I can understand why she feels like that, as she hasn't seen what we've seen regarding either vampire. It's disappointing that she doesn't pick up on all the Spuffy moments.

They get a little over excited by the D&D game I like when Stasia says Buffy jumping onto the bus with the scythe was very dangerous . . . as if seven seasons of fighting vamps wasn't.

Looking forward to hearing their season and series wrap-ups. Does anyone know what they'll be doing next?

Comment

I think we find out what comes next on Wed. night. I know they'll have a patreon - I just want it to be a B-verse patreon.

Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

I've just checked their Patreon and they don't have a one off payment option. I'd happily give them some cash because I really enjoyed their Buffy podcast. I don't want to become a monthly subscription.

Comment

Slayerfest 98 have been talking to Stacey Abrams:

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/ian.../slayerfest-98

flow

................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

Oh I really like Stacey Abrams. But I can't stand slayerfest 98! Is it a good listen? If you recommend it, I may try and listen later on.

Comment

I thought it was the best listen they have ever had! Not a big fan of them either. Oh, and she's a Spuffy shipper!
              Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

• Priceless
                Priceless commented
                Editing a comment
                Yay a Spuffy shipper, I will definitely listen

PCRC is doing a B-verse based patreon. I will be joining as soon as the site is up. They're gonna do regular watch throughs, and then talk about them - review, discuss. We can get into the discussion. It sounds great. They spent the season 7 wrap up discussing Spike and Buffy - it was pretty interesting. I can't wait for the series wrap up.

Comment

Originally posted by bespangeled View Post
                PCRC is doing a B-verse based patreon. I will be joining as soon as the site is up. They're gonna do regular watch throughs, and then talk about them - review, discuss. We can get into the discussion. It sounds great. They spent the season 7 wrap up discussing Spike and Buffy - it was pretty interesting. I can't wait for the series wrap up.
                So they're watching the whole show again, all of it? Oh that's fantastic! They are going to get such a different perspective. I'd definitely join that.

Edit: The Season 7 wrap up when they ask if Spike was redeemed, I wish they'd asked if they think Faith was redeemed, but I do take on the point that she show doesn't say Spike is redeemed at the end. and we are not required to forgive him.

I like how they come around to liking Xander at the end. Season 7 really is the best season for him, he is the adult and has so much to offer. Also liked that they were pro-Kennedy and saw that this was Willow's adult relationship that wasn't based on first loves (Oz) or magic (Tara).

All the stuff about kicking Buffy out of the group was a bit boring. Buffy didn't care, she had bigger things on her mind and she really doesn't want people grovelling around her. Stasia and her mum may live in Pettyville, but Buffy certainly doesn't

They aren't watching every episode of BtVS as I originally thought, but only selected episodes that we can vote on. Wish they'd watch the whole show, but seven seasons is a big ask when they've already done it once
                Last edited by Priceless; 12-03-20, 12:42 PM.

Comment

They aren't doing Angel S5 then ?

Comment

Originally posted by BtVS fan View Post

They aren't doing Angel S5 then ?
                    I've just listened to their S7 wrap up and they don't mention AtS. They aren't watching all of BtVS, just selected episodes which you can vote on.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                      Edit: The Season 7 wrap up when they ask if Spike was redeemed, I wish they'd asked if they think Faith was redeemed, but I do take on the point that she show doesn't say Spike is redeemed at the end. and we are not required to forgive him.
                      Of course I don't think you have to forgive him, but I think the show does draw him to have been on a different path and positions his sacrifice somewhat as an act of redemption (fire being very symbolically purifying etc). When he meets with Faith in the graveyard in Dirty Girls they are both talking about how they have reformed and are on the same side. I don't think whether he is good now is supposed to be up for interpretation. If it is whether he has made up for what he did in the past, then that gets complicated. Personally I don't think it can be looked at in terms of balancing scales, but because of the mythology Spike and Angel are more separated from the person they were when they committed the crimes they did than say Willow, Faith or Anya were from theirs. Not entirely of course, they still feel connected to their pasts and are still a demon, it's complicated for sure. But I don't think the story leads to questioning intent at the end personally.

They aren't watching every episode of BtVS as I originally thought, but only selected episodes that we can vote on. Wish they'd watch the whole show, but seven seasons is a big ask when they've already done it once
                      It is a shame they aren't watching it properly through because they haven't seen it all before and missing any of it can change their perspectives. I would have been genuinely really interested in following it if they'd gone through it fully after watching it as they did, to hear if/when it changed their points of view.

Comment

This is their round up of Season 7 Stoney, if you find the time you should give it a listen. They are actually really kind to Spike and they appreciate his journey

https://popculturerolecall.libsyn.co...-up-pettyville

Comment

• Stoney
                          Stoney commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you. I might try to convince myself to put it on in the background as I start banner planning. Perhaps you could combine the two as well.

Originally posted by Priceless View Post

So they're watching the whole show again, all of it? Oh that's fantastic! They are going to get such a different perspective. I'd definitely join that.

I like how they come around to liking Xander at the end. Season 7 really is the best season for him, he is the adult and has so much to offer. Also liked that they were pro-Kennedy and saw that this was Willow's adult relationship that wasn't based on first loves (Oz) or magic (Tara).

All the stuff about kicking Buffy out of the group was a bit boring. Buffy didn't care, she had bigger things on her mind and she really doesn't want people grovelling around her. Stasia and her mum may live in Pettyville, but Buffy certainly doesn't

No one is redeemed according to Colin. Here's his Fb reply to my question
                        Collin here. I think my personal problem with the idea of redemption is that is assumes a universal moral truth and some higher system of accountability. That's why it works so well in a religious context. Which, if that's the case, maybe it can work for the show given that it has some kind of pantheon, with gods, demons, etc. It just doesn't make sense to me, personally.

So, can any character be redeemed for their actions? I would say no. Their actions are their actions and the universe won't cancel a negative with a positive. Like some moral math problem. I DO believe in forgiveness. The difference is that forgiveness is an individual truth, not a universal one. I can choose to forgive spike, or angel, or willow based on what I feel is important. Others can choose to forgive or not forgive based on their own criteria. The character in question can even choose to forgive themselves. I just don't think that anyone is ever redeemed in the broad sense of the word. If that makes sense.

I joined on the $1.00 a month tier. I love the fact that all tiers will get the same stuff.
                        Last edited by bespangeled; 13-03-20, 01:19 AM.

Comment

• Priceless
                          Priceless commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I joined the $1 tier too. I wish they were watching ever episode, but I'll take what I can get. Can't wait to hear their reactions to see whole episodes!

Originally posted by Stoney View Post

Of course I don't think you have to forgive him, but I think the show does draw him to have been on a different path and positions his sacrifice somewhat as an act of redemption (fire being very symbolically purifying etc). When he meets with Faith in the graveyard in Dirty Girls they are both talking about how they have reformed and are on the same side. I don't think whether he is good now is supposed to be up for interpretation. If it is whether he has made up for what he did in the past, then that gets complicated. Personally I don't think it can be looked at in terms of balancing scales, but because of the mythology Spike and Angel are more separated from the person they were when they committed the crimes they did than say Willow, Faith or Anya were from theirs. Not entirely of course, they still feel connected to their pasts and are still a demon, it's complicated for sure. But I don't think the story leads to questioning intent at the end personally.

It is a shame they aren't watching it properly through because they haven't seen it all before and missing any of it can change their perspectives. I would have been genuinely really interested in following it if they'd gone through it fully after watching it as they did, to hear if/when it changed their points of view.
                        That's closer to what Colin said. I asked if Willow could be redeemed for the torture murder of Warren, and he said that none of the characters can be redeemed. Like Spike he doesn't believe in redemption. It's gonna be interesting having the conversations about each episode. I suspect they will lead to watching other specific episodes. Since they already know the basic storyline through the episodes I'm okay with doing it this way.

Comment

That's closer to what Colin said. I asked if Willow could be redeemed for the torture murder of Warren, and he said that none of the characters can be redeemed. Like Spike he doesn't believe in redemption. It's gonna be interesting having the conversations about each episode. I suspect they will lead to watching other specific episodes. Since they already know the basic storyline through the episodes I'm okay with doing it this way.
                          But as they didn't have someone for everyone they must have missed significant moments for different characters that odd episodes might not catch. They really should watch the whole show for character understanding. It would have been really very interesting to see how full/complete awareness did or didn't alter their perceptions. I just would have followed a full rewatch because of the way they watched it the first time, but not watching it properly again is just frustrating to me. Anyway, I'm not going to gripe about the premise again further, I still think it is very flawed, but I will try to listen to the S7 summary.

Comment

Working...
                          X