Favourite Podcasts part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Podcasts part 2

As I can't open the Favourite Podcasts thread, I thought I'd start a new one.

Listened to Pop Culture Role Call's Storyteller and it was really good. They bought someone in to be Andrew and she'd never seen the show before, which was fun. At one point they suggested Buffy had a fascist streak

The Fire and Water Podcast Network (which started as Podcasts about solely the DC Comics heroes Aquaman and Firestorm) recently did a special on Buffy, where the Firestorm half of the original podcasters reviewed Buffy with his 13-year old daughter. Interesting to get a young perspective on Buffy, from someone who wasn't alive when the show was first on.

http://fireandwaterpodcast.com/podcast/fwp-buffy/

(One of the commentators -- and a host on their music podcasts -- actually played one of the Initiative soldiers in season 4.)

Comment

• Stoney
      Stoney commented
      Editing a comment
      I know it is subjective, but at 13 I'd only be willing to show my daughter S1!!

• bespangeled
      bespangeled commented
      Editing a comment
      I showed my granddaughter all of Buffy when she was 9. It led to some great discussions on several subjects. She's 17 now. I have an 8 year old granddaughter who is far too sensitive to watch it. But my 4 year old granddaughter will enjoy it when she's older. It depends on the child - not just age but understanding of media. My eldest was already talking about how music increases tension in a tv show when she was three. She recognized fiction for what it was - a creation using many techniques.

Originally posted by PuckRobin View Post
    The Fire and Water Podcast Network (which started as Podcasts about solely the DC Comics heroes Aquaman and Firestorm) recently did a special on Buffy, where the Firestorm half of the original podcasters reviewed Buffy with his 13-year old daughter. Interesting to get a young perspective on Buffy, from someone who wasn't alive when the show was first on.

http://fireandwaterpodcast.com/podcast/fwp-buffy/

(One of the commentators -- and a host on their music podcasts -- actually played one of the Initiative soldiers in season 4.)
    I thought I would hate this, as The Precocious Princess sounded, frankly, just annoying. But I was WRONG, she's a sweetie. I like that they big-up Season 8, which is a great season and the comics get overlooked a lot of the time. Hope she goes back to watch AtS at some point.

Spoiler:
    I don't believe Princess guessed who Dawn was, without have prior knowledge of the show, but that's not acknowledged. Not surprised a 13 year old doesn't like Cordy. Surprised how much they both loved Xander and happy Princess loved Dawn so much. Surprised how much Princess hated Season 3, and Shag thought Faith's Boston accent was fake Shocked at how much she hated The Mayor. I'm not surprised a 13 year old girl didn't like AtS, but I understand her Bangel love.

Comment

Pop Culture Role Call hasn't got many episodes left Just listened to Lies My Parents Told Me. They had a Spike!

Spoiler:
      Stasia admits she has her own agenda when it comes to Spike, so they were all happy to hear his pov for a change. They have no clue who Fred is, when Willow rushes off to LA and I forgot they know nothing about AtS. They are so shocked that Spike turns his mum! The guy watching as Spike doesn't mention the sexual aspect of Spike's conversation with his vampmum, which is a bit annoying as that's important to Spike's characterisation, though it still had a big impact on the others.

I loved Stasia's reading of the Buffy/Giles scene 'you're stalling me . . . and the last bit of trust that exists between Buffy and Giles just dies here in this scene. It is actually really really sad'. I was really moved by that. They were not happy with Giles undermining Buffy's authority. They did think Spike taking the duster was weird, and they understood where Wood was coming from.

Very good episode with a great discussion. Nick as Spike was very good, and you can tell he loves the show and he spoils a little bit of Spike getting his soul back which was funny.

Comment

• bespangeled
        bespangeled commented
        Editing a comment
        I can't wait to see how they all react to Empty Places! Stasia loathes Faith - that scene outside the Bronze is gonna really piss her off. This might be a good time to bring back having a safe word.

• BtVS fan
        BtVS fan commented
        Editing a comment
        Did they not do In the Dark and Darla for Ats then?

• bespangeled
        bespangeled commented
        Editing a comment
        They didn't do In the Dark or Darla because none of the POV characters had seen it. The only ATS has been crossovers.

I showed my granddaughter all of Buffy when she was 9. It led to some great discussions on several subjects. She's 17 now. I have an 8 year old granddaughter who is far too sensitive to watch it. But my 4 year old granddaughter will enjoy it when she's older. It depends on the child - not just age but understanding of media. My eldest was already talking about how music increases tension in a tv show when she was three. She recognized fiction for what it was - a creation using many techniques.
      This is a separate topic really and one I have discussed before so I know people's feelings vary greatly. I do think when you're looking at introducing most things to children that there is some variation depending on the individual. But I also think that whilst there are topics in the show that would just go over the head of a younger viewer, there are some that it just isn't great to show when they aren't old enough to understand it fully. S6 isn't something I'd want a child under 15ish to watch, at the youngest. Obviously considering I spend the majority of my free time on here I think watching it opens up the potential for discussion, but I don't think that means that any age can really understand the complexities of the topics at hand. I also worry about reducing the impact of the show by showing it my kids when they're too young to understand it fully. But I know a lot of people disagree.

Comment

Saw Liam Duke for Spiral and I get the impression he hes kind if bored by it. Saying and doing random stuff while it's going on shows hes not that into it imo. Iv also noticed he repeats himself a lot when he talks at the end of each different episode.

Comment

Did they not do In the Dark and Darla for Ats then?
          As far as I know they've done no AtS except for the crossover episodes. They have no idea what Angel is doing or who any of the characters are on AtS because they haven't done a crossover in a long time, not since Willow tells Angel Buffy died, and then I think they only have the scene, Willow wasn't introduced to anyone.

Comment

• BtVS fan
            BtVS fan commented
            Editing a comment
            They've not done Orpheus then ?

Originally posted by Stoney View Post

This is a separate topic really and one I have discussed before so I know people's feelings vary greatly. I do think when you're looking at introducing most things to children that there is some variation depending on the individual. But I also think that whilst there are topics in the show that would just go over the head of a younger viewer, there are some that it just isn't great to show when they aren't old enough to understand it fully. S6 isn't something I'd want a child under 15ish to watch, at the youngest. Obviously considering I spend the majority of my free time on here I think watching it opens up the potential for discussion, but I don't think that means that any age can really understand the complexities of the topics at hand. I also worry about reducing the impact of the show by showing it my kids when they're too young to understand it fully. But I know a lot of people disagree.
          I agree. Children can seem incredibly advanced for their age, and still not understand what's going on. Expecting them to digest complex issues isn't fair, and we just don't know the impact tv/music/books have on kids in the long term.

Comment

BtVS fan They HAVE just done Orpheus. It was funny: Collin didn't recognise Wesley!
            https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

• Priceless
              Priceless commented
              Editing a comment
              I am way behind! So looking forward to this, was it good?

Not so far behind, they only did it last Wednesday. It was OK-ish, I suppose, but I didn't find it that interesting because although they did bring in a Faith, nobody really had much of a clue of what was going on.
            https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

They gave Stasia something to think about - finding out about Connor and telling her he matured quickly in a hell dimension. I assume I think that she and Mike were only allowed to hear what Willow said. I'm wondering if this will affect how she views his Angel's drive by at the end.
              Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Dutchess View Post
                Not so far behind, they only did it last Wednesday. It was OK-ish, I suppose, but I didn't find it that interesting because although they did bring in a Faith, nobody really had much of a clue of what was going on.
                To me it just doesn't work. Like how can you not watch Salvage and Release to know how Faith and Angelus are how they are ?

Hell how can they watch IWRY and not have there own day taken unlike Buffy

Comment

It's not a review podcast. There are all sorts of those around. It's a relive podcast giving a person only exactly what their character knows. Their perspective is amazingly fresh, unweighted by the rest of the show. Sometimes they pick up on thing that never occurred to me. And I like the crew that's doing it - they're fun, funny and they are truly fans.
                  Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

Originally posted by bespangled View Post
                    It's not a review podcast. There are all sorts of those around. It's a relive podcast giving a person only exactly what their character knows. Their perspective is amazingly fresh, unweighted by the rest of the show. Sometimes they pick up on thing that never occurred to me. And I like the crew that's doing it - they're fun, funny and they are truly fans.
                    Which is why I mentioned IWRY. Whoever is playing Buffy can watch that but then they can't have there memory wiped like Buffy so it doesn't work ‍♂️

Comment

Finally listened to PCRC Orpheus. I loved that they knew nothing of what's been happening to anyone on AtS, it's fun to listen to their shock. Stasia believes Connor was born before Angel met Buffy, and they all hate him by the end

Comment

Working...
                      X