No announcement yet.

Buffy and Angel Youtube reactions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you do reaction videos you should probably not read any comments or tweets or Facebook posts at all. People will absolutely spoil later events because they are silly like that but they will also have an influence on your opinion. One of the best things about reaction videos is to see the reactor's genuine reaction. In this case, a young woman obviously had no issues with the Bangel age gap. I really enjoy seeing something like that (I am not watching her, I am talking generally) because as someone who hasn’t got issues with the age gap as well, I feel vindicated. But if she gets harassed about it and changes her mind under pressure, her reaction isn’t authentic anymore.

Maybe you're being bored with Liam is because he is watching season 6 now which is, as I recall, not your favourite season

Liam has posted his reaction to Gone, Doublemeat Palace, and Dead Things on youtube recently. I have watched them but only for his actual reaction to the episode, not his comments on them. The commenting he does after the actual episode takes up at least half of the time of his videos and I sadly don't have that much time to watch it all. I get the feeling he is appalled at the events unfolding but not at season 6 itself. He actually likes Doublemeat Palace which is very unique (I think) and made me appreciate the episode more than I did before.

flow
    Last edited by flow; 03-05-20, 07:58 AM.
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

• Originally posted by vampmogs View Post

I like her as well. As you say, she is very OTT and it can make me cringe every once in a while but she's pretty charming and her reactions are entertaining. I've signed up to her Patreon and have watched her full reaction to Angel.

Apparently some commenters shamed her for being supportive of Bangel in the earlier episodes (on account of Angel's age) which is a shame as now she feels like she has to be morally against it despite having no issue with it before. It really impacted her reaction in the first half of Angel but once he was revealed as a vampire I think she mostly decided his age was no longer a deal breaker and she admits to being really into it but feels like she has to "apologise" for this. So it'll be interesting to see how that progresses.

I'm hoping she comes to appreciate Xander more. She's very anti-Xander at the moment but I have my fingers crossed she'll start to see his good traits as the story progresses. I loved her reaction to Principle Flutie's death in The Pack.

I am still following Van on Patreon and she's just watched AtS S4 Calvary and is really enjoying the Angelus episodes. I'll be sad when she's finished BtVS/AtS as she's a joy to watch.

My favourite reactor at the moment is still FailWhale. I also follow him on Patreon and I think he's really endearing and has some very funny lines occasionally. He has one particularly great line about Giles in Halloween which legitimately made me laugh out loud. He's still up to S1 on Youtube, though. I've actually had private conversations with him and he seems like a really nice dude.

I'm a little bored with Liam Duke's reactions at the moment. He's a lovely guy and I'm not really sure what it is but they're just not gripping me right now.
      That is such a shame about her (I am so sorry I do not actually know her name) being shamed for liking Bangel. Fans can be such idiots sometimes. Imagine if she liked Spuffy I'm also not a fan of reactors reading their commentators. You should make your own mind up and if the watchers don't like it they can find someone they agree with more. I'm not surprised she doesn't like Xander. It takes a lot of analysis and subtext to find Xander appealing and these quick reactioneers aren't there for that.

I haven't watched Liam Duke for ages, I find him a bit too verbose. But I did dip in for his reaction to Dead Things and by the end he loved the episode which I was pleased to see. I didn't stick around for his analysis. I don't watch reactors for their in depth analysis, but for their instant reactions, which are more real and honest. Liam is a nice guy, but he talks too much.

I saw one of Fail Whale's videos but then forgot about him. I'll try to watch a few more after your recommendation.

Comment

• Originally posted by flow View Post
        If you do reaction videos you should probably not read any comments or tweets or Facebook posts at all. People will absolutely spoil later events because they are silly like that but they will also have an influence on your opinion. One of the best things about reaction videos is to see the reactor's genuine reaction. In this case, a young woman obviously had no issues with the Bangel age gap. I really enjoy seeing something like that (I am not watching her, I am talking generally) because as someone who hasn’t got issues with the age gap as well, I feel vindicated. But if she gets harassed about it and changes her mind under pressure, her reaction isn’t authentic anymore.
        Yes agreed. I get their desire to interact with their viewers and I see some merit in some two-way conversations and analysis occurring but it's a real shame if reactors are pressured or bullied into thinking a certain way. In this case, it was even more bothersome because apparently she was lectured for the age gap and people kept mentioning that Angel was 26 which was a spoiler as Angel's human age isn't even revealed until AtS. They're literally shaming her for having an opinion... about something she isn't even supposed to know yet *sigh*

Maybe you're being bored with Liam is because he is watching season 6 now which is, as I recall, not your favourite season
        S6 isn't my favourite season but I certainly don't hate it. There's a lot about S6 I genuinely do love/enjoy and some episodes in that season that I really look forward to viewing reactions for. That said, I have definitely noticed that around Flooded-Tabula Rasa I do find it a chore to watch people react (my interest has waned with every reactor I have followed so far) and it's really soured me on that string of episodes. OMWF is great but weirdly enough I am thoroughly bored by people reacting to it to the point I have skipped through nearly every reaction of the episode I have watched. I usually get more interested again as we approach the midway point of S6.

So it definitely could be that to some extent but I also find Liam's reactions a tad repetitive at this point. With that said, I just watched his reaction to Dead Things and it was my favourite reaction of his in a long while. Not only is it my favourite episode of the season but it was great seeing him be so emotionally invested in what happened.

Liam has posted his reaction to Gone, Doublemeat Palace, and Dead Things on youtube recently. I have watched them but only for his actual reaction to the episode, not his comments on them. The commenting he does after the actual episode takes up at least half of the time of his videos and I sadly don't have that much time to watch it all. I get the feeling he is appalled at the events unfolding but not at season 6 itself. He actually likes Doublemeat Palace which is very unique (I think) and made me appreciate the episode more than I did before.
        Ha, I am another who likes Doublemeat Palace! Wanna hear something even more strange - I like it a lot more than Tabula Rasa! Which definitely puts me in the minority when it comes to this season LOL. But I genuinely find the direction in that episode to be really pretty great and it's nice to have an episode that feels so self-contained/MotW etc. I think it's a little reminiscent of the show's earlier MotW episodes (including the very fun scene of Buffy and Willow fighting the monster - "Ewww") which I really enjoy. I'm not saying it's an amazing episode or anything but there's way worse IMO.

Originally posted by Priceless View Post

That is such a shame about her (I am so sorry I do not actually know her name) being shamed for liking Bangel. Fans can be such idiots sometimes. Imagine if she liked Spuffy I'm also not a fan of reactors reading their commentators. You should make your own mind up and if the watchers don't like it they can find someone they agree with more. I'm not surprised she doesn't like Xander. It takes a lot of analysis and subtext to find Xander appealing and these quick reactioneers aren't there for that.
        Apparently Liam was also shamed for still liking Willow after mind-wiping Tara.

I haven't watched Liam Duke for ages, I find him a bit too verbose. But I did dip in for his reaction to Dead Things and by the end he loved the episode which I was pleased to see. I didn't stick around for his analysis. I don't watch reactors for their in depth analysis, but for their instant reactions, which are more real and honest. Liam is a nice guy, but he talks too much.
        Agreed! I have to admit that I never stick around for his thoughts after an episode. As you say, nice guy, but he rambles a lot. Maybe I'm missing out but like you I am only really interested in the reaction itself.

I saw one of Fail Whale's videos but then forgot about him. I'll try to watch a few more after your recommendation.
        Yeah I'd recommend giving him a shot. He really grew on me and he has a nice sense of humour. He offers thoughts after the episodes too but they're far briefer than Liams and he does actually say some interesting things about the structure/writing of an episode which makes me think he's pretty invested in TV shows which is nice.
        "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

• And wasn't Angel supposed to be much younger in the early BtVS seasons? I don't think it was ever the crew's intention to have a 26 year old Angel and a 16 year old Buffy dating. But when he got his own show and DB was 30, they had change his age.

Well, I hope the girl can shake it off and enjoy it.

Comment

• BtVS fan
            BtVS fan commented
            Editing a comment
            People call Angel 26 but I remember in a S2 episode (can't remember which) he says he was 27.

• Nina
            Nina commented
            Editing a comment
            I forgot about that, but that's also an option. We know his year of birth and the year he died, but no months. But I guess if Angel mentioned his age as 27 somewhere, we can conclude he was born in the first half of 1727 since it was obviously spring/summer when he was sired.

• I'm honestly not sure. In Angel Buffy tells Joyce that Angel is a first year student at community college which would place him between 18-19 and Joyce buys it. In those earlier episodes they call him a "mysterious older guy" but that could literally just mean older as in 'not in high school' the same way Cordy considered the fraternity guys older men in Reptile Boy. They tease him being older throughout those episodes but it's obviously intended to be a play on the fact that he's a vampire so a lot older. I agree that it's unlikely they settled on an age so early on and probably envisioned him being a tad closer to Buffy's age as a human.

Based on my observations, as soon as she learnt that Angel was a vampire and was actually 240 she found it harder to take the age gap seriously. She brought up the fact that franchises like Twilight had done it and "nobody had a problem" and seemed far less focused on his human age. I think having him be, literally, centuries older than Buffy, made the entire thing more fantastical for her and she didn't seem as bothered. At the end she says she's really enjoys their scenes together and the writing and that she's a sucker for forbidden/doomed romances and apologises for liking it, basically. So I think she's going to continue enjoying it.

I think we're pretty similar to be honest. I just can't be all that outraged by the age gap when we're talking about a vampire. I understand people who have issues with it and I respect that but it's simply too 'out of this world' for me to be put off by it.
          "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

• Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
            I'm honestly not sure. In Angel Buffy tells Joyce that Angel is a first year student at community college which would place him between 18-19 and Joyce buys it. In those earlier episodes they call him a "mysterious older guy" but that could literally just mean older as in 'not in high school' the same way Cordy considered the fraternity guys older men in Reptile Boy. They tease him being older throughout those episodes but it's obviously intended to be a play on the fact that he's a vampire so a lot older. I agree that it's unlikely they settled on an age so early on and probably envisioned him being a tad closer to Buffy's age as a human.

I've also read that he was described in the original script of WttH as somebody who isn't a boy anymore, but not yet a man either (or something like that). Which also indicates him being in his late teens. No idea if this is correct though, I've never seen the actual script.

I think we're pretty similar to be honest. I just can't be all that outraged by the age gap when we're talking about a vampire. I understand people who have issues with it and I respect that but it's simply too 'out of this world' for me to be put off by it.
            Yeah, I've the same. (Although I had no clue how old (human age) he was when I watched BtVS s1-3 for the first time, so that might have helped as well.)

Comment

• Interesting how several of you only like Liam Duke's reactions but not his thoughts afterwards! For me the reactions are the least interesting part. Maybe it's because I never have time to actually watch the videos (I only listen to the audio while I'm cooking or doing chores) so it's difficult for me to follow what exactly he is reacting to. So that makes it difficult to really appreciate them, and to me the analyses are more or less the real reactions -- at least I can follow those by only listening. I do agree they're not very deep and quite repetitive though. But that only makes it easier for me to follow them while multitasking

In short, I guess the conclusion is that (reaction) videos are really wasted on me, give me a podcast any day!
              https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

• flow
                flow commented
                Editing a comment
                you have just explained to me why I don't listen to a reactor's analysis. It's the same reason why I don't listen to podcasts. The concept of someone talking to me for a looooong time feels just weird to me ;-)
                Last edited by flow; 06-05-20, 03:26 PM.

• I don't mind his thoughts on what he's seen. I always stick around for them. I often find myself disagreeing with him, but hey thats par for the course. lol I still get a tad irritated at his 'wholesome' attitude and I suspect he finds the ever increasing depictions of sexual acts in season 6 to be 'uncomfortable' for him. He comes across (to me at least) as a wee bit of a prude to me.

Comment

• Priceless
                Priceless commented
                Editing a comment
                I do feel for him a bit, he's a young man filming himself watching sex scenes, I imagine it's a bit embarrassing.
                Last edited by Priceless; 06-05-20, 06:36 AM.

• I haven't watched Alley Box yet - I was thinking I'd wait till she gets to S2, but I just clicked on Priceless' link and she seems really enthusiastic (if a little OTT but I don't care), I MAY start following her in later seasons. That really sucks that she was so quickly shamed about shipping Bangel - I hate reactor's being shamed about ships they spontaneously like, or having to apologise for opinions they spontaneously hold. Policing a reactor is pretty much the most un-fun thing, it kills natural reactions. Hopefully she'll hold her own and ship it without catering to anyone. I don't think I've watched failwhale yet.

I love Van, really looking fwd to her continuing Buffy S7. She's too far ahead on Angel for me to watch, but I've always loved her Buffy reactions. I think Liam had been enjoying S6 but somewhere after his reaction to Wrecked, when he was shamed for still liking Willow (and apparently not 'condemning' her enough - a lot of his subscribers seemed to want him to hate her or something), he's gotten defensive and it's not as enjoyable as it was just a few episodes back to me (I'm talking about post-Gone onwards). Or it could just be me - I haven't had time to watch DMP, Gone or Dead Things too closely. After Wrecked I feel like he's really feeling "watched"/ judged. I usually listen to the afterthoughts rather than watch every reaction - it's easy to do work while letting the audio of his afterthoughts play etc, like Double Dutchess says! He loved Dead Things though - which was great. I hope he can just be himself and state his opinions unapologetically. I think he finds the Spuffy make out sessions a little too much. He currently hates Warren and said he wants him to "die horribly."

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Q97MgwWQU

Geeked Out Nation on Willow and Tara: Do I get a romantic vibe here?

flow

Comment

• Another new reactor for you... not sure Buffy will ever go out of fashion

I can't decide whether I like them or not, what do you think?

Comment

• Comment

• Chipperish have done Into the Woods and Lani and Noelle disagree strongly over this episode

https://chipperish.com/2020/05/14/11...e-woods-s5-10/

Comment

• Skippcomet
                        Skippcomet commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Lani hates it.

• Liam utterly adored As You Were:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSKdHXTN48

He also said something like wanting to see Spike and Buffy in a healthier relationship. Well, wait until season 7!

flow

Comment

• Priceless
                        Priceless commented
                        Editing a comment
                        He liked Riley's return? Oh dear

• debbicles
                        debbicles commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I’m with Pricey there. But I suppose someone has to like that episode.

• Double Dutchess
                        Double Dutchess commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ha ha, yes that was pretty surprising. He was already expecting it to be an unpopular opinion :-)

• She says that since starting to react to Buffy she has virtually doubled her subscribers! We also comment far more than Supernatural fans, and even though more people watch er Supernatural videos, the Buffy vids get far more comments.

Comment

Working...
                      X