No announcement yet.

Buffy and Angel Youtube reactions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And yet another Liam epic where he reviews season 6. On the whole It's what I expected. He's was not all that keen in places and the fandom remarks about his reviews of it got him down. Did he like it overall though? Yes apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPHYUdMMMXM
    Last edited by Silver1; 13-07-20, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• I'm in the middle of it right now, and as always I find his voice very soothing and enjoy hearing his thoughts lol. He's always liked this season a lot, which he's made clear in all his episode reviews (just hasn't liked the toxic fandom experience). And as I suspected, he feels it may outrank S2 or S3 for him, which I lean towards as well (S6 falls in the top half of favorite seasons for me, and S2/3 falls in the bottom half). I agree with him, that when I look back on S6, there's maybe only 1-2 eps I feel are sub-par or not great, which is really a testament to how strong it is compared to other seasons.
      Last edited by SpikeRocks; 13-07-20, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• Liams started season 7 yesterday.....Lets see what he thinks of this. His face when Warren turns up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC2tCrqO4X8

Comment

• He's noticed the similarity to the First, though I don't think he necessarily already thinks it's the First.
          You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

• Buffy Virgin have done Once More With Feeling
            https://youtu.be/77s74JJeToM

Comment

• So how do you all find out about new reactors that are planning to start watching the show? SpikeRocks you listed a whole list of ones you follow, do you just find them all from recommendations on YouTube or some such?

I was wondering about giving watching a reactor a go for the first time, but what has always put me off watching them is feeling like I'd just be frustrated at not being able to talk to the person about their opinions. But I thought if there was one starting from scratch that a group of us were following, then being able to talk about the reaction with other people here might ease my twitchiness about not being able to respond to the person themselves. I've found watching the people here who watch the people who are watching the show entertaining for a couple of years now, perhaps it is finally time to give it a go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                So how do you all find out about new reactors that are planning to start watching the show? SpikeRocks you listed a whole list of ones you follow, do you just find them all from recommendations on YouTube or some such?

I was wondering about giving watching a reactor a go for the first time, but what has always put me off watching them is feeling like I'd just be frustrated at not being able to talk to the person about their opinions. But I thought if there was one starting from scratch that a group of us were following, then being able to talk about the reaction with other people here might ease my twitchiness about not being able to respond to the person themselves. I've found watching the people here who watch the people who are watching the show entertaining for a couple of years now, perhaps it is finally time to give it a go.
                Well if you get engrossed in one and catch up you'll eventually patreon them and then you can discuss it lol
                sigpic
                Banner by LRae12

Comment

• Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                  Well if you get engrossed in one and catch up you'll eventually patreon them and then you can discuss it lol
                  But watching it just for myself isn't something I'd be interested in because I'd want that interaction and discussion straight away. There's not much point in watching one everyone else saw two years ago or similar because they won't remember the episode reaction so well probably and there wouldn't be an active conversation about it. For me there isn't an appeal of just watching them for watching them's sake and you can't talk with the reactor about the show because you can't spoil it for them. I'm certainly not against supporting one if I'm following them though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoney View Post

But watching it just for myself isn't something I'd be interested in because I'd want that interaction and discussion straight away. There's not much point in watching one everyone else saw two years ago or similar because they won't remember the episode reaction so well probably and there wouldn't be an active conversation about it. For me there isn't an appeal of just watching them for watching them's sake and you can't talk with the reactor about the show because you can't spoil it for them. I'm certainly not against supporting one if I'm following them though.
                    See, I kinda feel like there aren't that many fresh takes to give or take on Buffy for me, but I do enjoy just seeing what "hits" and what doesn't with a new viewer as it happens watching the reaction. Did they cry when I did? Widen their eyes in amazement when I did? That's the experience for me, not an analytical one.
                    sigpic
                    Banner by LRae12

Comment

See, I kinda feel like there aren't that many fresh takes to give or take on Buffy for me, but I do enjoy just seeing what "hits" and what doesn't with a new viewer as it happens watching the reaction. Did they cry when I did? Widen their eyes in amazement when I did? That's the experience for me, not an analytical one.
                      I can understand that. I wouldn't expect that it would be a particularly involved conversation but rather about things such as that, odd aspects like how they responded to key moments, characters, ideas and how far removed or in tune it is with your own reaction. There just isn't an appeal for me to watch that just for that, without any shared response/interaction about it happening too. Even something brief that isn't with the person themselves. An interest level such as that which triggers you to read a thread about these things rather than just watching them and not doing that I suppose. I might be surprised and find I get a lot from the experience in and of itself of course. Or be really lucky and it be someone who I do find sees things I didn't and has an interesting take and response to the show and that it does make me consider things differently. Although I appreciate you might only come on these threads to hear if there is another reactor you haven't followed and might want to.

Comment

• ....Anyhoo......I see Liam Duke has now reacted to 'Beneath you' and I notice many comments left him were all about that last scene in the church and Spike, and yet as per he does register it and says a few appreciative remarks, but imo doesn't really 'get' what he's seeing and also still seems to be refusing to cut Spike's character any slack. Lets see If he EVER changes his view on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9OoGosn4vE&t=668s

Comment

• Stoney If you join one on Patreon, you can join their Discord, which is continual discussion (they'll have one channel where you can interact with the reactor, spoil-free, and another for fans that want to discuss all of buffy with spoilers). Passion of the Nerd's discord is fairly active. Right now Alley Box's Discord is super active.

Liam Duke's discord isn't that active, but I feel like you'd LOVE Liam Duke the absolute most, because he truly takes his time discussing and analyzing the episode he's just watched, and is very sharp. There's basically nothing he misses. So my suggestion would be to check out Liam Duke's Buffy reactions on Youtube, which are edited-down versions of his full reaction, but which include all of his after-thoughts for the episode. And if you're into it, then you can join his Patreon and view the unedited reactions.

At this point, Youtube just knows what I like to watch, so it automatically suggests Buffy reactors whenever a new one shows up. So that's kinda how I become aware of them, or from others on Discord channels for Buffy reactors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
                            ....Anyhoo......I see Liam Duke has now reacted to 'Beneath you' and I notice many comments left him were all about that last scene in the church and Spike, and yet as per he does register it and says a few appreciative remarks, but imo doesn't really 'get' what he's seeing and also still seems to be refusing to cut Spike's character any slack. Lets see If he EVER changes his view on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9OoGosn4vE&t=668s
                            Honestly, not cutting Spike much slack five episodes after an attempted rape is based AF as they say and it's immediate "but soul!" equivocation that's the product of years and years of prior knowledge and repeat viewing.
                            sigpic
                            Banner by LRae12

Comment

Honestly, not cutting Spike much slack five episodes after an attempted rape is based AF as they say and it's immediate "but soul!" equivocation that's the product of years and years of prior knowledge and repeat viewing.
                              Yeah we know...lol But hell, I have to say he's quick enough to cut Willow a lot of slack after what she did and is still capable of. But when It comes to Spike I already sense he gets the gag of what's going on there (Christ how can you not after that church scene) but he might end up fighting it for a bit. The discussions I'm currently having on there amongst the other commentators is encouraging as they seem to share some of my views on this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silver1 View Post

Yeah we know...lol But hell, I have to say he's quick enough to cut Willow a lot of slack after what she did and is still capable of. But when It comes to Spike I already sense he gets the gag of what's going on there (Christ how can you not after that church scene) but he might end up fighting it for a bit. The discussions I'm currently having on there amongst the other commentators is encouraging as they seem to share some of my views on this.
                                That's not too hard to comprehend and has also been well observed for many years - it's easier to set aside what Willow did because there's no real world analog for magically flaying someone, power sucking people to (apparent) death, and trying to burn the world to a cinder through the epitaph of demon. Attempted rape requires no allegorical component because it's a real thing that really happens and triggers a real emotional reaction and moral consequence. Indeed, it's the thing by which we're asked to gradually hand-wave it that has no real world analog, because while attempted rape happens in real life, the coming and going of souls does not, at least not that we can credit.

I don't think he's been at all slow with or unfair to Spike here; he was actually harder on Dawn and Xander being annoyed Buffy reverted right back to secrets and he was surprised Buffy just hadn't leapt straight to inferring his soul in "Lessons". He was tearing up in the church scene which I'm not sure you can ask much else from.
                                sigpic
                                Banner by LRae12

Comment

Working...
                                X