Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First season half poll Angel S2 v Buffy s5 episode head to head which is better ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First season half poll Angel S2 v Buffy s5 episode head to head which is better ?

Ok so the title says it all. In direct head to head which do people think is the better episode in the first half of both seasons ?
    Myself

E1 Buffy V Drac , not without problems but it's still more entertaining than Jousting in LA. The Faith scene was great for Judgment but that's it.

E2 Are You Know Or Have You Ever Been - Seriously can anyone really say Real Me is better than this

E3 Replacement This is a tough because neither episode is that great but I'll go with the Replacement for the Riley scenes which are both Marc Blucas and the Riley characters finest hour on the show.

E4 Untouched even with some issues (dont bone my boss victim shaming) it's still far superior to the awful Out of My Mind which is painful to watch.

E5 Dear Boy, the Drusilla flashbacks and Angelus asking Darla why she killed the street walker and Darla back are so much more fun and interesting than that idiot expostion monk and Clare Kramers "acting" !!

E6 Guise Will be Guise has issues but still more fun than the ABC plot story that doesn't have B that Family is

E7 Fool For Love, Don't get me wrong Darla is a terrific episode but FFL edges it. I find Spike a more interesting character than the others and this is the first episode to actually explore that since he became a regular from back in S4 . The editing between the Subway fight to present day with Buffy was brilliant. The chemistry between Buffy and Spike is off the charts and that Door step is such a perfect ending. I'm a B/S shipper.

E8 Shroud of Rahmon as bad as it is I'll take this over sweater sniffing Spike and that fake snake ride any day of the week

E9 The Trial Julie Julie Benz performance and that incredible ending beats stock writing 101 for me

E10 Reunion The ending comparison is incredible. One has an out of character speech and cheesy helicopter chase. The other has a brilliant but dark twist thats further twisted even more when he fires his crew. One of the greatest episodes of Angel against one of the worst Buffy episodes. No contest

E11 Redefinition That wasn't Angel but it wasn't Angelus either, who was that ?? Compared to the Troll episode. Again no contest.

So yeah for me the first half of Angel S2 kicked Buffys arse all over the map winning 8-3 how was it for everyone else ?

E1 - Buffy v Drac - some great moments even if the overall effect is lacking

E2 - This is a tough one for me, because I love Dawn and I love how she's fully accepted immediately and no one questions her existence. Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been is very good, and I love all the film references and it's sense of time and place, but the ending is poor. So, because I think most people will got with AYNOHYEB, I'll got for Real Me

E3 - The Replacement is the best Xander-centric episode

E4 - Out of My Mind is a great episode and the ending is fantastic. I really dislike Untouched and some of its themes are poorly handled.

E5 - Dear Boy is fantastic, one of my favourite Angel episodes

E6 - I'm not a big fan of either of these episodes, but I'll go for Family because of Spike's punch and learning more about Tara

E7 - How the hell do you choose? Both of these episodes are wonderful. But as a Spike/Spuffy fan it has to be Fool For Love and flashback Spike, plus the ending is perfect.

E8 - Both of these episodes are poor, especially so following the previous episodes. For emotional impact I'll for for Shadow

E9 - Listening to Fear has some good moments, but The Trial has real emotional impact.

E10 - Dru & Darla are great and I'd take them over Riley's ultimatum any day, so it's Reunion

E11 - This is another tough choice because Triangle is a solid episode, but I think Redefinition is just a touch stronger, though I could do without Wesley/Virginia and the karaoke bar stuff.

Buffy 7 - 4 Angel

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      E1 - Buffy v Drac - some great moments even if the overall effect is lacking

E2 - This is a tough one for me, because I love Dawn and I love how she's fully accepted immediately and no one questions her existence. Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been is very good, and I love all the film references and it's sense of time and place, but the ending is poor. So, because I think most people will got with AYNOHYEB, I'll got for Real Me

E3 - The Replacement is the best Xander-centric episode

E4 - Out of My Mind is a great episode and the ending is fantastic. I really dislike Untouched and some of its themes are poorly handled.

E5 - Dear Boy is fantastic, one of my favourite Angel episodes

E6 - I'm not a big fan of either of these episodes, but I'll go for Family because of Spike's punch and learning more about Tara

E7 - How the hell do you choose? Both of these episodes are wonderful. But as a Spike/Spuffy fan it has to be Fool For Love and flashback Spike, plus the ending is perfect.

E8 - Both of these episodes are poor, especially so following the previous episodes. For emotional impact I'll for for Shadow

E9 - Listening to Fear has some good moments, but The Trial has real emotional impact.

E10 - Dru & Darla are great and I'd take them over Riley's ultimatum any day, so it's Reunion

E11 - This is another tough choice because Triangle is a solid episode, but I think Redefinition is just a touch stronger, though I could do without Wesley/Virginia and the karaoke bar stuff.

Buffy 7 - 4 Angel

Thank you Priceless
      I love reading different opinions than mine

May I ask regard the ending of AYKOHYEB, is it killing the demon you don't like ie to quick (Tim Minear defends himself on the dvd commentary by saying it took 50 years) or having Judy alive just so she can ask Angel's forgiveness then die. As both seem to be issues iv read people have had

Can I also ask what you don't like about Untouched ?

Comment

Originally posted by BtVS fan View Post
        Thank you Priceless
        I love reading different opinions than mine

May I ask regard the ending of AYKOHYEB, is it killing the demon you don't like ie to quick (Tim Minear defends himself on the dvd commentary by saying it took 50 years) or having Judy alive just so she can ask Angel's forgiveness then die. As both seem to be issues iv read people have had

Can I also ask what you don't like about Untouched ?
        I find Judy still being alive, looking for forgiveness which is bestowed by Angel, and then she dies, just a bit too on the nose for me. It make me cringe a bit. I understand why the writers did it, but I can't help how it makes me feel. It's very good up to that point, but the ending spoils it for me.

I really dislike the way Bethany is written in Untouched. I don't like the way the episode treats her or her trauma. I don't like how Cordy talks to her, or how she herself behaves with Angel. It's such a 90's trope, every show had a sexually abused girl in it, but by the end she was stronger and wiser - as if the abuse gave her the power and made her stronger.

Comment

E1 Judgment vs Buffy vs Dracula -Neither is great, but the Buffy ep is more fun and has a more interesting reveal, though I love Faith and her appearance was the best part of the episode

E2 Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been vs Real Me - duh! AYNOHYEB is a great episode.

E3 First Impressions vs The Replacement Easy. FI is a pretty poor episode and The Replacement is really good Xander-centric episode (better than The Zeppo, though I actually like Hell's Bells the best)

E4 Untouched vs Out of My Mind, if only for the last scene

E5 Dear Boy vs No Place Like Home - difficult, both of these are amazing episodes. I'd give Dear Boy a slight advantage.

E6 Guise Will be Guise vs Family

E7 Darla vs Fool for Love - How even to choose between these two! They are both amazing. I give Darla only a slight advantage, because that episode is perfect

E8 Shroud of Rahmon vs Shadow - easy. Angel season 2 has some of the best episodes of that show but also some of the poorest. Buffy season 5 is very consistent in quality - episodes like Shadow and Listening to Fear have really good character moments for Buffy re: Joyce and Dawn

E9 The Trial vs Listening to Fear Another one of my favorite Angel episodes, I love the Darla arc

E10 Reunion vs Into the Woods - is this even a contest?

E11 Redefinition vs Triangle - Triangle is my least favorite episode of season 5. I don't think the comedy worked as well as Espenson thought. Especially with dumb OOC moments.

Result: 6:5 in favor of Angel season 2a vs Buffy season 5a.

Basically, Angel won with all of its great arc episodes (and in some cases, by only a slight advantage over great Buffy eps like Fool for Love and No Place Like Home), but fails miserably with all the throwaway standalone episodes. AtS never had any season that was consistent in quality, while BtVS season 5 is its most consistently quality season.
          Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 14-08-19, 03:47 PM.
          You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Buffy > Angel. Every day. Every way.

I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
              Buffy > Angel. Every day. Every way.
              There is not even 1 Angel episode you prefer?

Comment

The only angel episodes I really like are the cross overs and S5.

I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
                  The only angel episodes I really like are the cross overs and S5.
                  Darla is a crossover episode as is Disharmony and No place like plrtzzglrb

Comment

All caught up

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* The only Angel season better than its counterpart is Angel S4 vs. BtVS S7 and even that's only true when originally watching on TV. When watching on DVD, streaming, etc., BtVS S7 is arguably better.

Much-to-most of AtS s1-s4 only makes sense once you learn Jasmine's responsible for so much of AtS s1-s4.

Angel/Darla post-1999 A.D. makes around zero sense if not for Jasmine. Angel's suddenly going to another dimension to save Cordy makes around zero sense if not for Jasmine. Remember that Angel didn't even want to face the Master. Remember that Angel dumped Buffy before Prom. Remember that Angel wasn't even dating Cordy in AtS s2.

In ways, the only great parts of AtS s2 are the parts that include Drusilla. "Reunion" (A 2.10) and "Redefinition" (A 2.11) are great and the flashbacks of "Dear Boy" (A 2.05) and "Darla" (A 2.07) are great.

* So, um, "Reunion" (A 2.10) is better than "As You Were" (B 5.10) and "Redefinition" (A 2.11) is better than "Triangle" (B 5.11). But that's only because of how delightful Drusilla is and how boring Riley Finn is and how the probably only great part of "Triangle" (B 5.11) is Spike's talk to Xander about Buffy; and Spike's interactions with Buffy.

EDIT: I'm surprised any Spike fan would choose "Darla" (A 2.07) over "Fool For Love" (B 5.07). The crossover only existed because James Marsters still hadn't done that second Angel episode that both Sarah Michelle Gellar and Eliza Dushku had already done in Angel season 1. Put the Spike parts in "Fool For Love" and "Darla" almost has nothing. She was a whore and didn't mind 'the Devil' having her. She's not made more interesting and certainly not made sympathetic.

The flashbacks of "Fool For Love" are great because it gave added info and layers to Spike, changes the dynamic between Buffy and Spike, and SPIKE TELLS BUFFY THOSE FLASHBACKS. "Fool For Love" remains important to the Buffyverse and Buffy/Spike forever after.

"Darla" simply leads to "The Trial", Connor, Cordelia/Connor, Jasmine, etc.
                    Last edited by MikeB; 14-08-19, 09:09 PM. Reason: added stuff

Comment

Working...
                    X