After Show Reactions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Show Reactions

For those who don't know, there are a lot of people on youtube who post videos of themselves watching tv shows. They are called Reactioners. They are incredibly popular. One of the most popular is After Show Reactions, who has over 7 thousand followers. She is watching Buffy and Angel and has a few followers on the forum. Here is her first video, from only December last year, so she's only been doing it for 9 months and is already upto Season 6.

Here's a direct link to her channels front page.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvE...8zGp5f0JvfJcMQ

As you can see she covers a lot of other shows too including Angel.

Comment

ASR' reactions are great. She is doing Buffy and Angel in parallel since S4/S1.
      Another great Buffy reactor is van, but she's been releasing videos a bit more slowly lately. She is in late season 3. There's also TheMinarus (S3), Liam Duke (he is in S2, and has just seen WML2), Bbangerang, JustArvin (also S2) and Anything Petersen Reacts, who's still in S1
      But some of them have been releasing videos a bit more slowly. ASR is almost always on schedule, and at least releases 4 Buffyverse videos a week.

Buffy seems to be the most popular finished/past show for people to suggest for reactions (other than maybe Lost), and the popularity of these videos and the number of people who comment on them is a testament how strong the Buffy fandom still is, after all these years.
      You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

ASR (Shannon) is a cherry blossom, pace Malcolm Reynolds. My only occasional annoyance is when she pauses episodes to ask questions (I assume on her discord) and I'm like "... or just watch the episode and find out". She just got through Tabula Rasa on her patreon side, the musical reaction was fantastic because she had managed to never have heard there even was one, so seeing the credits and overture and launching into "Going Through the Motions" was this study in bewilderment and realization. And she basically imploded at the ending of course -- can't wait for "Smashed" on that count on one hand but can't wait for "Seeing Red" on that count on the other.

I really am glad to see these reactors out there that all were basically infants or just dirty thoughts when the show came out watching it and really appreciating it.
        sigpic
        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
          ASR (Shannon) is a cherry blossom, pace Malcolm Reynolds. My only occasional annoyance is when she pauses episodes to ask questions (I assume on her discord) and I'm like "... or just watch the episode and find out". She just got through Tabula Rasa on her patreon side, the musical reaction was fantastic because she had managed to never have heard there even was one, so seeing the credits and overture and launching into "Going Through the Motions" was this study in bewilderment and realization. And she basically imploded at the ending of course -- can't wait for "Smashed" on that count on one hand but can't wait for "Seeing Red" on that count on the other.

I really am glad to see these reactors out there that all were basically infants or just dirty thoughts when the show came out watching it and really appreciating it.
          What's wrong with pausing videos to ask questions? That's one of the things I appreciate about ASR, and also JuliDG (another great reactor, who, unfortunately, isn't doing Buffy), they always pause videos when they want to make any comment. There are some other reactors who just talk during the video and end up missing lines of dialogue or important information, because they talked right over it. And then they don't understand things, because they didn't pay enough attention when they should have. That especially happens with those that do group reactions. Some of those are pretty frustrating, and then people in the comments have to tell them "This is what actually happened, this is what was actually said, you would know if you were paying attention instead of talking over the episode".
          You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

What's wrong with pausing videos to ask questions?
            Maybe because she seems to do it so often, and that in reality she only has to carry on watching the thing to have her questions answered.

can't wait for "Smashed" on that count on one hand but can't wait for "Seeing Red" on that count on the other.
            I'm dreading both because I think given her past viewing she's not going to cope with it very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
              Maybe because she seems to do it so often, and that in reality she only has to carry on watching the thing to have her questions answered.

I'm dreading both because I think given her past viewing she's not going to cope with it very well.
              But we're watching the videos to see people's spontaneous reactions, right? So why would you prefer reactors to stay silent and not say anything? Seems to beat the purpose.

Comment

So why would you prefer reactors to stay silent and not say anything?
                Okay, point to my comment where I said that.

I don't know how many reactors you watch, but yes, most make comments but not quite way she does. And particularly not aimed at such obvious questions.

She just comes across to me (yes, obviously JUST me) as very immature for her age.
                Last edited by Silver1; 29-09-18, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Just want to add to what others have said about Liam Duke. I really enjoy his reactions too, though I haven't watched everyone. I might have posted this before, but I really enjoyed his Halloween reaction because he obviously enjoyed it so much

Comment

Yeah, I follow him and Van.

Comment

Originally posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
                      What's wrong with pausing videos to ask questions? That's one of the things I appreciate about ASR, and also JuliDG (another great reactor, who, unfortunately, isn't doing Buffy), they always pause videos when they want to make any comment. There are some other reactors who just talk during the video and end up missing lines of dialogue or important information, because they talked right over it. And then they don't understand things, because they didn't pay enough attention when they should have. That especially happens with those that do group reactions. Some of those are pretty frustrating, and then people in the comments have to tell them "This is what actually happened, this is what was actually said, you would know if you were paying attention instead of talking over the episode".
                      I guess it's because... we didn't get to, right? We had to just watch it play out. I kinda prefer my reaction watches to emulate the live viewing experience. It's already changed somewhat by the fact they can binge -- she took some crap for not immediately doing "The Body" on schedule, I thought it was stupid that people couldn't remember WE ALL had to wait a week in winter 2001, so why couldn't she?

Also, do you seriously see no margin between "literally stopping the program to ask questions to discord" and "watching in silence without reacting"?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I follow him and Van.
                      I watch all three of those and TheMinarus too. Nice variety of perspectives.

You are probably right, "Seeing Red" is going to be as hard for her as any episode yet has been I suspect. It's probably one the best structured episodes for shaking up an audience ever, since it gives you with plenty of time left what you think will be the big shock of the episode and then shows you you don't know what shock is.
                      sigpic
                      Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                        I guess it's because... we didn't get to, right? We had to just watch it play out.
                        And that's relevant because...?

I kinda prefer my reaction watches to emulate the live viewing experience.
                        So you want them to pretend they don't know people will be watching their videos?

Also, do you seriously see no margin between "literally stopping the program to ask questions to discord" and "watching in silence without reacting"?
                        Yes. I see the margin of "talking over the episode", as some reactors do - which is by far the worst option.

And I still don't understand why you have a problem with her stopping the episode. You've already seen the episode, you know what happens in it.

Comment

Thanks for these everyone. Buffy/Angel, Lost and Avatar/Korra. At this rate I could spend an entire work shift just watching YouTube reactions. With Avatar going live action on Netflix and Buffy possibly rebooting, these reactors can probably do some kind of old vs new reactions soon enough.

Comment

As in she's very anti Spike, anti Spike/Buffy or just doesn't deal well with emotionally heightened moments??

Comment

She is absolutely in love with Spike. That will be the problem. The higher you fly, the deeper you fall. She might get over the AR but the emotional impact the moment it happens will be huge.

flow
                              Last edited by flow; 30-09-18, 10:17 AM.
                              ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

Working...
                              X