This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stoney View Post
    Did they not discuss their scenes yet post Grave? I thought they shared what each other had been through/seen, which is what stops it being just a one person perspective and not knowing about Giles is just because he/Anya aren't represented rather than 'because Buffy didn't know'. I mean how long do they leave it between seasons as obviously Buffy will have just met up with the others and found out a lot of the answers of what has happened pretty much straight away, save for the Spike stuff.

I really am interested to hear how she responds to Buffy's response to Spike as I get the impression there's a good chance it will be at odds to her own.
    But Buffy doesn't know about Giles does she? Serious question, I've not seen the ep in a while. From Buffy's perspective she only knows she and Dawn are safe. She doesn't know anything else I don't think. At the end of episode Buffy crawls out of the grave and knows nothing.

Stasia does know that Xander talked Willow down and Willow did not end the world, because Colin and Mike told her, but none of them, even then, know anything about Spike, Giles, Anya, Jonathan or Andrew.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by BtVS fan View Post
    Out of curiosity but did she do the Buffy scenes on Angel Crossovers ?
    From what I remember they had a guest come in, as Angel, and talk through the crossover as Angel. I can't remember if they did that for every crossover though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      But Buffy doesn't know about Giles does she? Serious question, I've not seen the ep in a while. From Buffy's perspective she only knows she and Dawn are safe. She doesn't know anything else I don't think. At the end of episode Buffy crawls out of the grave and knows nothing.

Stasia does know that Xander talked Willow down and Willow did not end the world, because Colin and Mike told her, but none of them, even then, know anything about Spike, Giles, Anya, Jonathan or Andrew.
      I haven't seen it in a long time either but am looking forward to getting there finally in the rewatch.

I agree right at the end Buffy doesn't know about Giles. But the character finds out such things off screen before S7 begins. S7 doesn't explore what happened at the end of S6 for the other characters with Buffy gradually learning what happened to Giles and so Stasia being in the dark isn't really meaningfully reflective of Buffy's own experience because Buffy would find out pretty fast about most of it. Spike is the only mystery. Presumably Anya/Giles/Willow/Xander/Dawn all regrouped shortly after the end of Grave and Buffy's lack of knowledge of what had passed was quickly fixed. And my point was also that because Stasia finds out about whatever happened to the others that are being represented in the podcast because of the discussions about the episodes, she isn't only getting Buffy's point of view and being restricted to that aspect of the show at all anyway. She always has some of the other character information as well. Or at least other people's perspective/description of them. And they discuss their experiences between them in a way that the show characters never share/talk to each other too. If they had had someone playing Giles or Anya Stasia wouldn't have been left in the dark at all about them either. So it isn't about being in the same position as Buffy and only knowing what she knows because they break that all the time from what I understand.
      Last edited by Stoney; 21-08-19, 03:59 AM.

Comment

• At the end of this episode they are all pretty much left in the dark about what happened to Giles, Anya, Spike etc. I don't it they'll be told at the season wrap up next week. But for right now, all they know is what they've seen and heard about Grave and that left Stasia feeling that the finale was lacking because everything wasn't tied up, as it is in every other season finale.

I really think you should listen to an episode or two, just to get the flavour of it. All I can say is that I enjoy it for what it is and it keep me entertained for an hour . . . except Colin, who is just an idiot.

Comment

• Of course that just works with the season purpose of facing their own life struggles and having been parted and the group dynamics changed. They don't come back together in quite the same way again as a group, and finding Buffy's reemergence from the ground with Dawn unfulfilling can't have helped her pov. But nothing can escape that a major part of this episode is just a blank for them, they are missing a whole chunk and the tension and rhythm to the episode is shot watching only bits and bobs. Is there any other season finale where a significant part of the finale scenes is on someone else that they would have missed large parts at the very end of the ep? If they'd had a Spike character watching too then they would have found out about so much more that they don't know and could have a very different impression of the episode/season. It is why they aren't really watching just one character's experience and why the premise really doesn't work. And that's before you get into how this isn't how the show was written to be consumed etc.

It just really doesn't appeal I'm afraid and although I keep intending to give one a try I just never put the time aside for it above anything else I could be doing. Nothing has ever been said about the episodes/opinions that has made me want to listen to it in any detail or had me at all convinced it isn't just a weaker understanding they are operating within, formed from an incomplete and potentially odd view of the show gained from part information and chunks of second hand description. It's just strange and as I keep saying, it doesn't even meet the premise of just focussing on the character they 'are' because they discuss the other scenes, just not all the scenes. I'm always left thinking they'd be better off just watching the show properly.

That you all enjoy it is still more interesting than the idea of it in itself to me. I'm interested to hear if Stasia can see where Buffy is coming from in S7 because it seems to clash with her attitude towards the relationship with Spike from what has been said. But I'm mostly interested in that to see how those of you watching respond to the podcast if a reactor is in strong disagreement or struggling to understand the character they are supposed to be gaining a greater understanding of. I've always said the interest in it is more interesting to me than the podcast itself and I can recommend watching the people who watch the people who watch the show.

Comment

• It doesn't matter to me how the show was written to be consumed, for me that comes under 'death of the author' and anyone can watch it anyway they want. There are people on this forum who watched S6 before any other season, who watched certain episodes before others, who read Buffy fanfic before actually watching the show, watched Angel before Buffy etc. etc. etc. It makes no difference to me that people are consuming any of the Buffyverse in whatever way they want, I'm just happy they are

From this podcast I've come to a deep understanding of Buffy as a character. As you know, I'm not intellectual so things like this help me a lot in expanding my understanding and it's why I listen to a lot of podcasts. I really enjoy hearing other people's takes on the show, even if they are very different to my own. It's also quite entertaining, and I enjoy their predictions and how lost some episodes leave them.

But I think we should agree to disagree about this Stoney because you won't listen to it, and I can't keep interpreting it for you. I really would encourage you to listen and make your own mind up. The people who do listen come up with different interpretations, so you can't rely on us to be giving you a full picture

Comment

• I'm sorry Pricey I get the feeling my fascination that you find this interesting is irritating to you and I can understand why in a 'listen to it or go away' sense. I think I'd probably feel the same. I completely take your point about people choosing how they watch the show etc and I know that I'm really a purist about always watching chronologically, so really my resistance to hearing the opinions of people that haven't watched it all is not very surprising. I do find hearing other people's perspective interesting and have learned a great deal doing so over the years. And I can see interest even in hearing how someone considers characters when they aren't in full possession of the facts, but I do think it limits their interpretations and perspective overall. I'm sorry I have caused you frustration and left you feeling like I'm asking you to interpret it rather than just engaging myself. It really wasn't deliberate as it is your perspective on the podcast that interests me rather than it itself and I've made you feel irritated, for which I apologise. I'll not pretend to not lurk but I'll leave you in peace to enjoy and share with those also watching.
              Last edited by Stoney; 21-08-19, 11:44 PM.

Comment

• I've been listening to the season 6 wrap-up of Pop Culture Role Call and I have the distinct impression that Stoney and Silver1 have been writing angry letters to producer James

I'm only halfway through listening, so I won't say more right now, except that in my opinion the discussion so far was good and insightful. And just one last comment on Stoney's statement two posts up that "the premise really doesn't work". This is clearly and unarguably untrue. Ihe premise does work. It works for me, it works for all the people who enjoy listening to the podcast and it works for the people who are doing the podcast.
                Last edited by Double Dutchess; 22-08-19, 06:35 PM. Reason: typo
                https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

• I honestly have not contacted anyone involved so whatever is the reference to James has nothing to do with me (and I've never felt angry about it anyway). Regarding the premise comment, I meant that if the idea is that they are only supposed to know and see their own character's scenes, if the intention is to see things solely as the character will have done and only be informed by the character's knowledge, then discussing what they have all individually seen after an episode each time just breaks that idea and the second hand information of what other things have passed in the episode for anyone represented will then play a part in how they interpret whatever they see next for themselves. In a way the character was never seen to hear about or experience. But regardless of whether that is true or not against the original intention, as you say people are enjoying it anyway and I honestly am just looking to keep out of discussing it now to leave it for those enjoying it to discuss.
                  Last edited by Stoney; 22-08-19, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                    I honestly have not contacted anyone involved so whatever is the reference to James has nothing to do with me (and I've never felt angry about it anyway).
                    Yeah, I was just joking there.
                    https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Dutchess View Post
                      I've been listening to the season 6 wrap-up of Pop Culture Role Call and I have the distinct impression that Stoney and Silver1 have been writing angry letters to producer James

I'm only halfway through listening, so I won't say more right now, except that in my opinion the discussion so far was good and insightful. And just one last comment on Stoney's statement two posts up that "the premise really doesn't work". This is clearly and unarguably untrue. Ihe premise does work. It works for me, it works for all the people who enjoy listening to the podcast and it works for the people who are doing the podcast.
                      Spoiler:
                      I'm just listening to it now. Really interesting wrap up. Oh yeah they get those emails from frustrated fans. But that's the premise of the show and I like how James says that even being able to re-watch it is a kind of a cheat, because from a character perspective of course it is. We can't rewind real life

Stasia said 'OMWF was so good it nearly made up for losing Angel' so I think we know where she stands on that front In fact Stasia mentions several times that she wants Angel back. She's going to be so disappointed.

They think the Spuffy relationship is toxic and that's the intent of the show, but they really do not want Spike back or care about him. Stasia thinks Spike is doing some penance/ self flagellation and I don't think this will be enough for them to forgive him.

They are really happy to hear Giles is alive. I'm sad that they didn't like Dawn and wish she'd been written out. They would have liked Willow to kill Dawn in the car crash. I wonder is S7 will change that.

They aren't going to do a regular rewatch once they've finished, which I'm a bit disappointed about. They may do a rewatch or each season and talk about it and making it a Patreon. I have to say I would probably pay to hear them talk about seeing everything, although there is a feeling they're shaking down the fans

This was actually hard to listen to because both Stasia and Colin have turned against Buffy and are questioning her killing of vampires when she doesn't know if they are truly evil or could be tamed in some way. That really hurt my heart because Buffy is my hero and trying to do what's right and they aren't taking into account everything she's been taught by Giles, Angel and the Watchers Council

Comment

• This was actually hard to listen to because both Stasia and Colin have turned against Buffy and are questioning her killing of vampires when she doesn't know if they are truly evil or could be tamed in some way.
                        Dear god, really?? Sorry but what a crap idea. This whole thing still boggles my mind.

Comment

• I didn't perceive or interpret the wrap up episode of S6 in quite the same way as Priceless's overview, but then I'm wary of commenting on it tbh because I'm afraid I'd inadvertently offend someone or other in this thread.
                          Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 24-08-19, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post
                            I didn't perceive or interpret the wrap up episode of S6 in quite the same way as Priceless's overview, but then I'm wary of commenting on it tbh because I'm afraid I'd inadvertently offend someone or other in this thread.
                            Don't worry about that SpuffyGlitz, I'm sure you couldn't offend anyone

Comment

• Do you guys actually listen to each one thru all the seasons, or just kinda skip around?

Comment

• Originally posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
                                Do you guys actually listen to each one thru all the seasons, or just kinda skip around?
                                I started listening late so I started in Season 5 but went back and listened to a lot of the old episodes. Now I listen to every one.

Comment

Working...
                                X