Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No HTML

HTML is turned off for security reasons.

Please do not use html in your posts or messages. If you are copy and pasting something from another website and you are having problems with it showing, then it may have html in it. This could be in the form of a website link or a viewable image or an emoji or a special chacter. I am not sure this is the reason we have errors posting.

Some html code can be simply swapped with our Bulletin Board code by changing the greater than/ less than signs with bracket signs. Other BB code needs to done using the buttons in the advanced post editor.
2 of 2 < >

Home Page

The home page address has changed to: http://buffyforums.net/forums/
Please update your bookmark. Otherwise, the home page does not show you are logged in and/or will not let you type into the log in box in the top right. The link at Buffyforums.net to the forums has not yet been updated. So you will experience the error when you enter the forum through that link.
See more
See less

Feline Imagry in Buffy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feline Imagry in Buffy

What meaning can be found behind the reaccuring feline presence in buffy? What do cats (and pumas) represent in the world of buffy the vampire slayer? How many times are cats shown on the show (kitty fantastico only counts as one because she represents one cat)?

Miss Kitty Fantastico
    Kitten poker cats
    The dead cat in Dead Man's Party
    Mountain lion in Intervention
    Vampy cats in S8
    Twikitty in S8

Off the top of my head I can't think of any others. If I was searching for a meaning the numerous 'lives' of a cat could be found to strike a chord. Particularly the animal Pet Sematary-esque use of the cat in DMP kind of emphasises this.

Comment

I really don't think cats represent anything significant. I don't think cats were over-represented, I don't think they showed up more often than on other shows. Cats exist and sometimes people in the Buffyverse had cats.

Off the top of my head: Catherine Madison had a cat, Willow and Tara had a cat, Cordelia dressed up in a cat costume for Halloween, there was a zombie cat resurected by a mask. In the comics:
      Spoiler:
      the sentient universe villian Twilight took the form of a winged lion, Dracula could transform into a panther and Amy took the form of a cat to spy on the scoobies
      Any examples I've missed from BtVS? Most of these examples play into the steriotype of witches enjoying the company of cats, I don't think it goes any deeper than that really.

And I feel like an idiot for only now remembering the kitten poker. I think that was done just for comedic effect because the idea of demons gambling for kittens instead of money is kinda silly and funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Vampire in Rug View Post
        I really don't think cats represent anything significant. I don't think cats were over-represented, I don't think they showed up more often than on other shows. Cats exist and sometimes people in the Buffyverse had cats.

Off the top of my head: Catherine Madison had a cat, Willow and Tara had a cat, Cordelia dressed up in a cat costume for Halloween, there was a zombie cat resurected by a mask. In the comics:
        Spoiler:
        the sentient universe villian Twilight took the form of a winged lion, Dracula could transform into a panther and Amy took the form of a cat to spy on the scoobies
        Any examples I've missed from BtVS? Most of these examples play into the steriotype of witches enjoying the company of cats, I don't think it goes any deeper than that really.

And I feel like an idiot for only now remembering the kitten poker. I think that was done just for comedic effect because the idea of demons gambling for kittens instead of money is kinda silly and funny.
        I hadn't remembered Catherine's pet or Cordelia's costume, but I also listed the mountain lion in Intervention and the S8 Vampy Cats. I agree, the multiple lives was an attempt to find where possible meaning could be, but I don't actually think it is an intended symbolism used in the show. It isn't 'played' enough or clearly for that to be intended I don't think.

Comment

Joss likes cats:
          Cat or dog?
          Cat! Dog: need need, poop, chew, need, lick, need. Cat: whatev. Meow, yo. Here's a mouse.

Comment

They represent femininity and a strong tie to the magical world which is also very feminine.

There was the cat leading Buffy to her Spirit guide thats another strong cat influence.
            Last edited by BuffySpike; 14-08-12, 11:58 PM.
            Bonehead, carrot top, shirty & dope
            the nonsensical vocabulary of Buffy and Spike

Comment

Working...
            X