No announcement yet.

What first drew you to BtVS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I moved all the solicitation and comments about voting in a poll to the previously created thread. It is not appropriate to take a discussion thread off topic like it was.

If promoting a poll must be done, it needs to be by visitor messages or pms to those you think interested.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

What drew me to Buffy was that it was something that I had never seen like it before. It was it's own world with it's own set of rules and mythology. I was 13 when I got into the show, obsessing and watching the DVDs over and over. I adored the characters, and watching the show I felt that I connected with some of them as outsiders in this world. As cliche as it sounds, I just really felt I could relate to the characters in ways that they were different. Plus on the nerdy side, I loved the sci-fi/supernatural elements and vampire folklore that was tied into the show, and it was the perfect set up to be one of my biggest television obsessions! Buffy is on the top 3 of my all-time favorite TV shows, and I will stan for this show until the day I die! It has never let me down in entertainment, and I don't think that I will ever get tired of it, or forget the way it made me feel upon original viewings of the episodes.

Comment

i got into buffy cause of the storylines and the kick ass action scenes with buffy and the vampires, plus i loved david boreanaz who played angel

Comment

A friend of mine make me interested in Buffy. A local channel started playing Buffy after Charmed, I avoided Buffy because the commercial they made to promote the show always got me scared (now I find so funny that I was scared of the vamp faces).

My friend told me that Buffy was really good, that I should give a try. I did and BOOM, favorite show ever!

Comment

It was getting rave reviews from everywhere; I knew that it had been completely shot and re-shot before it first aired, so that meant that it was more likely going to be great quality; and I found the concept interesting.

I watched it when it first aired (in the United States). I found BtVS S1 to be a great Season and better than anything else on TV. And I liked it better than Xena: Warrior Princess .

Comment

I honestly can't really recall. I remember that it had hit netflix a couple months prior and some folks on other forums I frequent had been posting about it. I think someone may have recommended it to me after I finished Veronica Mars. I was in desperate need of a fix, of course. I was bored one morning and didn't wanna sleep and I took "Welcome to the Hellmouth" being glitched to hell on Netflix as a challenge so I started downloading and watching.

Naturally, I enjoyed it, but on my rewatch... like, honestly, I can't even figure out what I really saw in it my first time through? I have nothing but utter adoration for the show now, but I took a long break about halfway through season 4 and for the longest time 1-3 is what I had to go from and those are the seasons I'm talking about specifically. I remember that the show in that time definitely had a vibe that I got from Veronica Mars as well, but other than that...

I just feel like I get so much out of it now that getting anything less is unfathomable and I really just can't figure it out or even recall my mindstate from then

Matter of fact, I avoided it for the longest time and was generally weary towards the show. All I knew about it was from whatever seeped through from pop culture and maybe the ads I saw for it growing up. It always seemed like just another one of those lame shows that would have nothing of interest for me. I had similar feelings towards Veronica Mars but after falling totally in love with that my mind opened just a little.
              Last edited by pfr_77; 12-10-12, 01:56 PM.

Comment

In my case it was more of a coincidence. I was watching TV when I was like 11 or 12 years old and flicked channels to find something interesting. So I stopped at Buffy, season 6 aired in Germany and Willow was going dark.. actually she just killed Warren and I thought "Wow that's cool" . xD So I sticked to the series and watched season 7 in german and someday I thought mhmm I'd like to know how everything started.. so I watched Buffy from the beginning and loved it more and more. I just adored the whole story with the slayers and vampires and the action scenes etc.. When my english was good enough I rewatched every episode in english because let's be honest, it's just so much better in original. Of course, after Buffy I also watched Angel and that's how my obsession for series started.

And not to forget.. sometime later I found out that there was also a movie about Buffy, so I watched that, too.. but the movie is so terrible. I'm so glad the series turned out much much better.
                Last edited by Faye; 12-10-12, 11:26 PM.

Comment

I was only seven at the time so for me it was pretty superficial reasons – monsters, fights, and a girl kicking ass. That's all it took to draw me in and I've been hooked ever since. And despite appreciating a lot more about the show now that I’m in my twenties, I still dig those basic things about it.

The vampire-centric episodes were always my favourites. I remember always being a little disappointed if the Master didn't make an appearance, so even as a kid I tended to prefer episodes that advanced the season's arc over MotW. I also recall that I found it very funny as a kid but looking back on it now I honestly don't know why. Even in S1, most of the jokes probably went right over my head

I was always a fan of the show but I do remember becoming very Pokemon/Dragonball Z obsessed when I was around 11-12, and then my interest in BtVS was completely rejuvenated once The Gift aired. From then onwards BtVS became my number 1 obsession again and I've never looked back. The show started to resonate with me a lot more when I entered my early teens and it stopped just being a cool monster show and became something I strongly identified with.
                  Last edited by vampmogs; 13-10-12, 09:12 AM.
                  "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                    I was only seven at the time so for me it was pretty superficial reasons – monsters, fights, and a girl kicking ass. That's all it took to draw me in and I've been hooked ever since. And despite appreciating a lot more about the show now that I’m in my twenties, I still dig those basic things about it.

The vampire-centric episodes were always my favourites. I remember always being a little disappointed if the Master didn't make an appearance, so even as a kid I tended to prefer episodes that advanced the season's arc over MotW. I also recall that I found it very funny as a kid but looking back on it now I honestly don't know why. Even in S1, most of the jokes probably went right over my head

I was always a fan of the show but I do remember becoming very Pokemon/Dragonball Z obsessed when I was around 11-12, and then my interest in BtVS was completely rejuvenated once The Gift aired. From then onwards BtVS became my number 1 obsession again and I've never looked back. The show started to resonate with me a lot more when I entered my early teens and it stopped just being a cool monster show and became something I strongly identified with.
                    Gosh we are very similar about the show when we were younger and how we appreciate it more now for it's complexity. I didn't get obsessed with pokemon etc but there was a stage during the start of season 6 where I kind of went off it. I used to tape every episode but I decided not to tape the early episodes of season 6 but then I got all obsessed with it again and regretted not doing so.

I did and still do however love the episodes that distract from the main arc, its often a nice breather I find. One where you just get to learn more about the characters and they aren't totally distracted by arc development. I love Older and Far away because you just get to see interaction between characters which would usually be absent from other arc driven episodes.
                    Bonehead, carrot top, shirty & dope
                    the nonsensical vocabulary of Buffy and Spike

Comment

Oh, I like the MotW episodes well enough, and even as a kid I still liked them too, but episodes which focus on the Big Bad and/or advance the main arc are usually my favourites. I agree with you that the occasional standalone can be a nice breather and they contain a lot of hidden gems. To be honest, I like the vast majority of episodes in BtVS and there are only a small handful I dislike

I can't agree with you about Older and Far Away though as that just happens to be one of the episodes I don't like. Go figure!

I always watched every episode but, yeah, I definitely became cartoon-crazy for a while there. Pretty much every single guy (and some girls) in my class did though, so it was inevitable that I'd go through the Pokemon faze. This was when Pokemon was at the height of its popularity and Pokemon Cards were all the craze

I don't know what it was about The Gift that rejuvenated my obsession with the show. I remember liking S5 well enough (and I think it’s marvellous now) but for some reason that episode just blew me away. I think what ignited my craziness for the show again was probably the anticipation of how Buffy would come back after dying (or if she even would – I wasn't part of online fandom and knew nothing about spoilers or behind the scenes info back then) so I spent the period between S5-S6 obsessing about the show. I think I picked up a few VHS box sets of the other seasons in that time too. I was in rewatch heaven!
                      Last edited by vampmogs; 13-10-12, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Oh I did actually enjoy pokemon, The craze hit here too but I was slightly older than you I guess, about 3 years. So I was about 12/13, didnt hit me as hard. I did buy the cards (the wrong ones like an idiot lol)

I actually remember balling my eyes out when Buffy died in season 5 and I kind of saw it as the end of the show. Maybe thats why I want feeling season 6 straight away. I do love season 6 now though it is one of my favourites.

Yes I wasnt part of the online fandom at the time either. Though I did end up spoiling myself rotten in season 6/7 with transcripts <_<. Living in the UK it aired later than the US so I could see about 4 episodes in advance all the time.
                        Bonehead, carrot top, shirty & dope
                        the nonsensical vocabulary of Buffy and Spike

Comment

Originally posted by BuffySpike View Post
                          Yes I wasnt part of the online fandom at the time either. Though I did end up spoiling myself rotten in season 6/7 with transcripts <_<. Living in the UK it aired later than the US so I could see about 4 episodes in advance all the time.
                          I did the same thing! I used to go onto Buffyworld (the site this forum originally spawned from) and read all the transcripts and watch all the promos for upcoming episodes. In Australia we were quite a few weeks behind too and I've always been very impatient and unable to resist spoilers I actually remember looking at the screen caps for Chosen before it actually aired here but it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the episode at all. I just distinctly remember seeing caps of the moment where Spike's amulet sends out the rays of sunlight.

Except for briefly venturing onto the Bronze Chat forums, I didn't start discussing the show online until 2005. I wish our old forum (aka Buffyworld.com) still existed as I'd love to go back and re-read all my old posts from when I was first signed up. They're all lost now

Anyway, we're probably going way off topic...
                          Last edited by vampmogs; 13-10-12, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X