Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No HTML

HTML is turned off for security reasons.

Please do not use html in your posts or messages. If you are copy and pasting something from another website and you are having problems with it showing, then it may have html in it. This could be in the form of a website link or a viewable image or an emoji or a special chacter. I am not sure this is the reason we have errors posting.

Some html code can be simply swapped with our Bulletin Board code by changing the greater than/ less than signs with bracket signs. Other BB code needs to done using the buttons in the advanced post editor.
2 of 2 < >

Home Page

The home page address has changed to: http://buffyforums.net/forums/
Please update your bookmark. Otherwise, the home page does not show you are logged in and/or will not let you type into the log in box in the top right. The link at Buffyforums.net to the forums has not yet been updated. So you will experience the error when you enter the forum through that link.
See more
See less

What first drew you to BtVS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bones and Dragonball Evolution basically. I was really into Bones and Dragonball and found the actors who played in both played in Buffy.

There was this huge hype about the actor who played Piccolo for the Dragonball movie and I read that is was Spike from Buffy. I heard about Buffy but never got into it and it was already 2011, so I figured it was old as grit to invest my time in. Though everyone on the DB forums were really excited about the casting choice, I was only slightly interested. Of course, when I saw the movie, I recoginized that JM was the only good thing about it, even though I wasn't attached to Buffy and or Spike than I am now. I was impressed that within the crap that was the movie, the actor playing Piccolo did a great job. (Still didn't make me watch Buffy though.)

One day I was watching Bones and my husband goes, "I can never see Booth as anything else but Angel." That made me ask questions because I had no idea that Booth was being played by the same actor for Angel. And I was really into the Bones on netflix.

At that point I was like "Fu-- it, I'm watching Buffy." Thus is all started.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteHat View Post
      I heartily recommend reading the script instead of torturing your eyeballs with that big-screen abomination.
      Yeah, I linked to it above. There are some things that don't work in continuity with the TV show: the vampires don't dust, except for Lothos, and they can float (this is also true of the movie); the Watchers are supposed to be a small coven in an English village, rather than a powerful organization we see in the TV show; Buffy doesn't burn down the gym; Buffy is not a virgin, and (at least I would say) her family seems to be richer than it seems on the TV show, and Merrick doesn't first approach her in front of the school in the way we see in the flashback.

"The Origin" removes all that and adds the flashbacks from Becoming I to keep it in continuity with the show. (They had most trouble with the Jeffrey/Tyler thing, which they tried to solve by changing the dialogue from Becoming I; I'm not sure how well it works. Though one can fanwank it as Buffy's faulty memory, since "The Origin" is framed as her talking about past events to Willow and Xander.)
      You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennyoelf View Post
        Bones and Dragonball Evolution basically. I was really into Bones and Dragonball and found the actors who played in both played in Buffy.

There was this huge hype about the actor who played Piccolo for the Dragonball movie and I read that is was Spike from Buffy. I heard about Buffy but never got into it and it was already 2011, so I figured it was old as grit to invest my time in. Though everyone on the DB forums were really excited about the casting choice, I was only slightly interested. Of course, when I saw the movie, I recoginized that JM was the only good thing about it, even though I wasn't attached to Buffy and or Spike than I am now. I was impressed that within the crap that was the movie, the actor playing Piccolo did a great job. (Still didn't make me watch Buffy though.)

One day I was watching Bones and my husband goes, "I can never see Booth as anything else but Angel." That made me ask questions because I had no idea that Booth was being played by the same actor for Angel. And I was really into the Bones on netflix.

At that point I was like "Fu-- it, I'm watching Buffy." Thus is all started.
        Omg I'm amazed that you discovered the series that way. I mean seeing JM in Dragonball first, before Spike. Lord that must have been a revelation!
        Last edited by sueworld; 29-07-12, 10:15 PM.

Comment

I'll look out the Origin comic. I watched the film last night actually and yeah it is pretty crap, doesn't match verse rules and doesn't link properly (gym not burning down, Joyce's character as examples). As a pretty disassociated 'funny coz it's cheesy and shit' kind of thing I quite enjoyed it. Absolutely no comparison at all to the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
            I'll look out the Origin comic. I watched the film last night actually and yeah it is pretty crap, doesn't match verse rules and doesn't link properly (gym not burning down, Joyce's character as examples). As a pretty disassociated 'funny coz it's cheesy and shit' kind of thing I quite enjoyed it. Absolutely no comparison at all to the show.
            Well, the gym not burning down and Joyce's character can't be blamed on the director and producers etc. - that's from the original script. Joss changed his mind on some things. The family background we see is more like the one he gave Willow on the TV show - neglectful parents (Sheila kept getting Buffy's name wrong, like MovieBuffy's mom did with her boyfriend's name).

But it's the cheesiness is all due to the execution, Joss' script wasn't camp and cheesy, it reads like a serious feminist horror drama with some comedy. The movie just treats the story as a big joke, since the opening narration about the Slayers, delivered in a cheesy jokey voice - as if they thought 'who the heck could ever take this idea seriously'.

The ending with the dumb jokes is also not from Joss' original script.
            You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Originally posted by sueworld View Post
              Omg I'm amazed that you discovered the series that way. I mean seeing JM in Dragonball first, before Spike. Lord that must have been a revelation!
              Yeah, it's pretty funny looking back at it now. I mean, the movie didn't do justice for the actor and his portrayal of Piccolo was good too.

Still having fondness for Dragonball, I am very upset at what went down with the movie. I think JM coming back to play Piccolo Junior would have been fantastic.

That said, yeah, it was weird. I regret not getting into the show when I could have back in 1997/1998.

Comment

I don't think the films director did the script any favours by caving in to Donald Sutherland and allowing him to re-write some of his lines... I don't think JW was very impressed...

Comment

Originally posted by Lyri View Post
                  Basically, I was watching every week because I thought Xander was hot, lol.
                  THIS. Me in a nutshell. I was never interested in vampire shows, but my sister was in love with the show and watched it whenever it was on. I see a scene here and there, and comment on Nicholas Brendon's hotness. Xander's lie in Becoming was what made me interested, but I never became a fan until The Zeppo - which was the first episode I watched from beginning to end. I was so angry at the end because I wanted the Scoobies to know that Xander saved their lives - my brother left the room with a huff, he didn't like the ending either. He related to Xander a lot, but his favorite characters were Willow and Cordelia.

S4 was the first season I watched regularly - which to my luck was the start of Spander. I used to read Spander fanfic before watching the show, before even knowing what Spike looked like.
                  Made by Trickyboxes
                  Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

As I don't think Spander exists outside of a couple of silly jokes 'in show' you can start it in fanfic in whatever season you like if that is your want!

Comment

As I don't think Spander exists outside of a couple of silly jokes 'in show' you can start it in fanfic in whatever season you like if that is your want!
                      Spander is my canon to be honest. I read the fics before watching the show, so the show is kinda a fanfic about the Spander fanfic. God, my head hurts.

I remember being so disappointed when I saw Spike for the first time. Those fanfic writers described him as a sex god on legs so often I thought I was gonna see an angel. He appeared so average compared to the descriptions in the fics, and I thought - and still think - that Xander is better looking than him.

Aw, I miss those old days, when everything was new and exciting. Every Spander scene in S4 had filled me with joy! Those were the days.
                      Made by Trickyboxes
                      Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by Sosa lola View Post
                        Spander is my canon to be honest. I read the fics before watching the show, so the show is kinda a fanfic about the Spander fanfic. God, my head hurts.

I remember being so disappointed when I saw Spike for the first time. Those fanfic writers described him as a sex god on legs so often I thought I was gonna see an angel. He appeared so average compared to the descriptions in the fics, and I thought - and still think - that Xander is better looking than him.

Aw, I miss those old days, when everything was new and exciting. Every Spander scene in S4 had filled me with joy! Those were the days.
                        Crikey I would have been very disappointed then if I was you as Spander is only one or two jokes, in total, in all the seasons. Otherwise, well, it is just whether they are both in the same scene really, and then it is just as Spike and Xander. I love it that people have different tastes about attractiveness, I don't think Xander at his best is anything better than sweet but I gotta go with TTB's twak(!) though Sosa, Spike most certainly is a sex God.

Out of interest, is Xander sexier pre or post eyepatch?!
                        Last edited by Stoney; 01-08-12, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Speaking of Xanders eyepatch... Is it just me, or does the drawing of Xander in the site banner have the patch over the wrong eye?

Comment

My first experience was the film. It was ok but a bit of a joke. So when the series first began I wasn't interested. I was also touring heavily and missed much television. However so many people spoke highly of the show I began watching when I could some time late in the first season. The original video release is when I really got into the first series. I was a healthy male, there were cute girls and interesting stories...It wasn't a stretch.
                            “Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
                            Aristophanes

Comment

Originally posted by Giles View Post
                              Speaking of Xanders eyepatch... Is it just me, or does the drawing of Xander in the site banner have the patch over the wrong eye?
                              It does, actually, because it's been mirrored so that he's facing the other way. The original image is correct, though. It's the cover of Season 8, Issue #2.
                              sigpic
                              Banner by LRae12

Comment

When I watched it for the first time, it was episode " After Life " . I was very curious when I figured that Buffy was come back from dead. When in the end she told Spike, that she was in Heaven I was very intrigued. I wanted to see the next episode only, but then the show hooked me even more, when started all Spuffy scenes and when I see in the end in " Tabulla Rasa " Buffy and Spike kissing in Bronze , I just told myself " No Way " .So, honestly, I started to watch the show because of Buffy and Spike only. / Spike mostly / . But when 7 - th season ended , I was very disappointed and then I buy all the episodes on DVD , I started to watch since the begining. Now I love not Spike only. I love the entire show and till now I never fell in love in another show. I watch a lot, but no other show may touch me in the way like BTVS is.
                                sigpic
                                maked by plamivasi

Comment

Working...
                                X