What first drew you to BtVS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What first drew you to BtVS?

When the show first aired in the UK I wasn't exactly inspired by the title, something that I'm sure I'm not alone in. I'd never seen, or even heard of, the feature film. I'd been an avid viewer of the old Hollywood monster movies from a young age, so I suppose the fact that the show title had the word 'vampire' in it was enough to at least draw my attention. I guess that seeing a few trailers was enough to get me started and after 'Welcome to the Hellmouth' I was well and truly hooked and have been ever since. The character interactions were really believable, I think that everybody who looks back at their school years can remembers a 'Xander' or a 'Willow', or maybe can see something in one of the characters that reminds them slightly of themselves

I actively avoided BtVS for the entirety of the time it ran on the TV in the UK. I thought it sounded teenish and I thought that SMG seemed a ridiculous casting for someone who was supposed to be soooo kick ass (see I knew so little about the show I didn't realise she was human+). I saw possibly 5-10 mins once or twice over the entirety of the years it was running but that was enough to see a bit of Spike and know that I thought the scripting could be funny. It wasn't until Xmas 09 when I asked for the DVD collection simply because it fitted within my favourite genres (fantasy/sci fi) so I randomly decided to give it a go and was hooked. There were some nights I didn't go to bed because I was watching it all back to back. I watched them all in two months and was then delighted 4 months later(ish) to read that Spike came back in Angel so I got S5 of that too. Then about a year after that I found out about the comics (just as S8 was finishing) and then found this wonderful place here end of last year so now I get a daily fix!!

I didn't particularly relate to the characters but I became entirely invested emotionally in their stories and as Spike developed I watched and was hooked. I loved Spuffy too and that became the bonus, such a complicated and fascinating relationship but it is the bleached vamp I'm in it for still.

Comment

I was up at weird hours during the summer, so I watched about a week's worth of Angel on TNT from 6-8am. Then I ordered the DVD's, watched them all in 6 days. Figured I might as well watch Buffy also, so I watched them right after that (in 8 days).

Comment

Well, I started watching the show on TV (when it started airing in my country, a few years late - I think it was 2001) and initially, it was a mix of curiosity and reputation. I had seen the Buffy movie on TV a few years earlier and remembered it as a dumb-ish teen comedy, which didn't inspire me with confidence, but I was aware that the show is supposed to be better. I liked the pilot - I was mostly drawn by the witty humor and the fact it has such a silly name and premise but then turns out to be a pretty smart show, with a degree of self-irony. I liked season 1 because of the way that it metaphorically dealt with real life high school traumas and problems in episodes like Witch, The Pack or Out of Mind, Out of Sight (though I thought Teacher's Pet sucked). There were things I wasn't that crazy about, but overall I found it a pretty good and interesting show.

Although I should mention that I had also seen some episodes of Angel season 1 - which aired on another TV channel a year before, but they never showed anything further - and rather liked it, though not as much as I liked Buffy later; I liked the character of Angel in AtS season 1, so it was also interesting to see him and his romance with Buffy in BtVS (which I was spoiled on having seen the pilot for AtS). Then Spike arrived in S2, and I thought he was an awesome character from the start.

I wasn't properly hooked until season 2 - I thought the show was good, but I didn't expect it to be great, and to be such a serious, heartbreaking drama. The episodes that really left an impression were Lie to Me, then Innocence and particularly Passion.

So, one may say it was mostly the show itself and its quality that drew me in.
        You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Foyboy View Post
          I was up at weird hours during the summer, so I watched about a week's worth of Angel on TNT from 6-8am. Then I ordered the DVD's, watched them all in 6 days. Figured I might as well watch Buffy also, so I watched them right after that (in 8 days).
          I never really watched much of Angel when it was airing on TV but I plan to buy the DVD collection soon. I recently finished a Buffy marathon over about 6 days and after a few days break started again from season 1. I really must get around to buying BtVS on DVD too, my VHS collection is getting a bit on the worn side

Comment

I've been in it since the beginning.

I remember it vividly - we were walking down a hallway a school and one of my friends mentioned seeing an ad for a new show called 'Buffy, the Vampire Slayer' that was starting that night. She said it sounded lame, but I was intrigued, so I watched the first ep that night. I think I was 13.

I wasn't invested until 'Passion', though. Until then I was interested, but it wasn't something that I NEEDED to watch. Basically, I was watching every week because I thought Xander was hot, lol. Then 'Passion' happened and I was hooked. Made the jump to Angel with him and Cordelia and haven't looked back.
            Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

I always identified strongly with Buffy because like her I can be so strong at times and on the ball, then at other times I trip over, make an idiot out of myself and feel very weak and stupid lol

I actually got hooked with the first episode I watched which was a late episode of season 2. I cant actually remember which one it was but it was a VERY strong one. I think it might have been Passion. I remember not seeing Go Fish (must have missed it) at the time but I certainly saw the one where we find out Oz is a werewolf, and becoming part 1 and 2 and also the beginning of season 3. It was all around this time that I became hooked. Originally Killed by Death never actually aired over here for some reason. I remember seeing it years later and I was like...what the heck?

The exact moment I heard about it was from a male friend of mine who had a crush on Sarah Michelle Gellar lol. I was 11/12 at the time I first watched it.

EDIT - No wait it WAS Phases I first saw! I remember now. Then i saw BBB, then Passion, Killed by death never aired. Saw the rest apart from Go Fish which I missed.
              Last edited by BuffySpike; 28-07-12, 11:24 PM.
              Bonehead, carrot top, shirty & dope
              the nonsensical vocabulary of Buffy and Spike

Comment

I started watching the show in 2000, when it first started being aired in Italy. I was... 21? Which makes me very old now... ahem, moving on!

I decided to watch it out of curiosity. It wasn't well-known in my country at the time, or advertised in any way. I only knew about it because I had seen some merchandise (t-shirts, mugs etc) defining it a"cult show" on some catalogue selling all kinds of stuff by mail. I remember that the image used was the Buffy/Angel iconic one, the one used on the soundtrack.

The lame title made me think it would be a very silly and lame show, but the vampire/supernatural theme intrigued me. So when a few months later I saw on the tv guide that it was finally airing on our national tv, I sat down to watch Welcome to the Hellmouth (and I made my father sit and watch too... incidentally, we don't get along, and that must be one of the very few things we happened to watch together, go figure). I found the show pretty cheesy and I wasn't impressed, but evidently I enjoyed it enough to watch the second episode, and then the third, and so on.

I was still a little skeptic, I didn't think all that much about the show... Prophecy Girl is when I started to think it had potential, and What's My Line is when I started to love it. Around mid-season 2 I was definitely hooked, although not in an obsessive way. That came later, from season 4 onwards, when I was unwillingly captured by a slight case of total love for Spike (who grew on me without me realizing it. Didn't care one way or the other for him when he first showed up) and Spuffy. Those pesky bastards still have a hold on me, apparently. They refuse to let me go and move on from this show... I might have to seek help! LOL

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
                Icon by xiperita

Comment

It makes me laugh how Joss would never change the title because he felt it said everything about the show:

Buffy (funny) Vampire(scary) Slayer(action)
                  Bonehead, carrot top, shirty & dope
                  the nonsensical vocabulary of Buffy and Spike

Comment

What first drew you to BtVS?
                    Monsters. Lots of cool monsters. After a few years of worshipping the X-Files, I was primed for more praeternatural creepy-crawlies.

Oh. And Cordy.
                    "Strong is fighting! It's hard, and it's painful, and it's every day. It's what we have to do."

(BtVS, ep 3x10, "Amends", 40:56)

Comment

For me It was the humor. I loved how on the spin of a coin the writing could go from high comedy to serious drama without ruining either.

Oh and Spike of course. The minute he raised his blond head above the parapet I was hooked.

Comment

When I think back to 1992, when I was first drawn to seeing "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", twice, in the movie theaters, I was drawn by that most benevolent and generous of all forces in popular culture -- the Male Gaze I saw that there movie poster and it was love.
                        sigpic
                        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                          When I think back to 1992, when I was first drawn to seeing "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", twice, in the movie theaters, I was drawn by that most benevolent and generous of all forces in popular culture -- the Male Gaze I saw that there movie poster and it was love.
                          That's fair enough I've never managed to get more than 20 minutes into the film version without hitting the rewind button personally, regardless of the onscreen presence of Kristy Swanson. I guess I should persevere and force myself to watch the movie sometime

Comment

Originally posted by Giles View Post
                            That's fair enough I've never managed to get more than 20 minutes into the film version without hitting the rewind button personally, regardless of the onscreen presence of Kristy Swanson. I guess I should persevere and force myself to watch the movie sometime
                            Have you read the 1999 comic "The Origin"? It's what Joss recognizes as the "pretty much canon" version of Buffy's beginnings, as opposed the movie which is not. It was written based on Joss' original script and the flashbacks from "Becoming I" and attempts to reconcile the story with the show (there are some things that Joss changed from his original idea when he made the show). The only problem with the comic is that the artist drew green pointy-eared vampires, otherwise it's good and much closer to the spirit of the show than the movie.

I rewatched the movie last week, and I've also recently read Joss' original script for the movie. They changed quite a lot for the movie ("The Origin" is much closer to it) but for most of the movie, they kept the dialogue but it's directorial choices, acting, music, even hairstyling and costumes, that made all the difference. The script was written as a dark teenage horror/drama with some comedy, the movie takes none of the story seriously and makes it all into a cheesy teen comedy. The vampires were meant to be really scary, in the movie they're just ridiculous. They also made Buffy's and Merrick's relationship far less antagonistic, and removed everything that was the least bit edgy - everything that was a little bit darker, from the vampires being scary and the scenes of Lothos killing the Slayers, to the other students wanting to give Buffy to the vampires to save themselves; Merrick's suicide; every reference to teen sex; coach's speech that happens to include a casual reference to homosexuality; bad language (but that's to be expected); and even Pike and his friend Benny punk style looks. In the script, Pike is described as having spiked hair, a taste for long coats and black, and wearing Doc Martens, while his friend Benny has a shaved head, suspenders and also Doc Martens. In the movie, they are... Luke Perry and David Arquette looking like Luke Perry and David Arquette usually do, and no different than Buffy's boyfriend Jeffrey and the other jock guys.

Donald Sutherland looks bored throughout the movie (even in his death scene) probably waiting to finish shooting the dumb teen movie and collect his paycheck; Luke Perry is just being Luke Perry (i.e. same facial expression throughout); Kristy Swanson isn't bad until you compare her to Sarah Michelle Gellar, she has no spunk and charisma and badassery that SMG so easily instills into the character. The music is dreadful and very mainstream, the score sounds more like 80s than 90s and occasionally it sounds like elevator music (especially in above mentioned death scene), and they added so many eyeroll worthy cheesy moments. Instead of being genuinely dark and scary as he is in the script and the comic, Lothos plays a violin to hypnotize Buffy (?!), his henchmen is a complete joke/comedy character, and Buffy's fight with the vampires outside the gym, which could have been great (and is in the comic), and which is described like this in the script:

"Buffy is defending herself in an astounding blur of gymnastics
                            and martial arts. Leaping, throwing kicks, punches, and the
                            odd stake, she manages to scatter them enough to make a run
                            for it."

...in the movie, it looks like this: Kristy Swanson makes several somersaults for no reason at all and comes up against one of the vampires, and all the vampires stand in a circle and attack her one by one, like in those awful old Asian martial arts movies.

In short: yeah, THE MOVIE SUCKS BIG TIME. All the more when you see how much better it could have been.

It's also interesting to see that Joss recycled some of his original ideas for WTTH/The Harvest: the way Buffy kills Amilyn, Lothos' main henchman, in the script (but not in the movie nor in The Origin), is very similar to the trick she plays on Luke in The Harvest. As far as the things that did make it to the movie go: there are also similarities such as Pike/Xander having to kill his best friend who's become a vampire, some of the original arguments between Buffy and Giles are a bit like those between Buffy and Merrick, Gary the school counselor is a proto-Flutie, and Lothos is a bit like a mix between the Master and a non-ironic version of Dracula, with a bit of Luke's early rhetoric.
                            Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 29-07-12, 08:55 PM.
                            You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

I heartily recommend reading the script instead of torturing your eyeballs with that big-screen abomination.
                              "Strong is fighting! It's hard, and it's painful, and it's every day. It's what we have to do."

(BtVS, ep 3x10, "Amends", 40:56)

Comment

Working...
                              X