Who Do You Wish You'd Seen More Of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Do You Wish You'd Seen More Of?

When I was watching the Gingerbread reactor video of Liam Duke he commented on the potential that Joyce would have as a main cast member. Personally I think that she works so well because she isn't in many episodes, it impacts more when she is and works better within the show's themes that she is a side character. Do you wish she'd been around more episodes or had any that were focused on her? Are there other characters that you wish we'd learned more about or would have liked to have seen more regularly?

Maybe not a specific character, but: The Counsil of Watchers. This is an organisation who watches over the world and we only see a little bit of them (and always in a negative way). Seeing them in action properly, would've enriched BtVS I think. Ats gave us a few extra glimpses (and they showed us what a well-trained watcher is capable of -Wesley-), but it's still so very little. We know they are out there and we know that the CoW is doing important work, but at the same time the writers remain strangely attached to the 'only she can defend the world against the forces of darkness' premise which leaves no space for the CoW/watchers.

It would give the character Giles more purpose as well. Because he might have a lot of screentime, but I do wish we had more story about and with Giles. After s2 there was not much.

Comment

It's a great point about the CoW. When Buffy makes the comment to Travers in Checkpoint that without the Slayer they have no purpose it really does underline the question of what these people are doing. It's a fair sized team that's only a sample of the whole organisation, we assume. Are they training all the time? Deciphering texts? Taking out minor threats? We do get a glimpse of the idea of them searching for and training potentials from both Kendra's background and S7, but how do they locate them. Is it normal to get their families to consent to them leaving? I can understand why they didn't go into the Council a great deal as Buffy being more independent and not being restricted by them kind of pushes them away. But, as you say, it could have given a fair amount of insight into Giles too.

Comment

• Nina
        Nina commented
        Editing a comment
        In Lineage we learn that Roger W-P led his own team of watchers who were most likely warriors and Wesley is also trained for battle. So I think they are very allround (training slayers/watchers, doing research & fighting).

Sunday and Kakistos for sure.

I would have liked Snyder to have survived Graduation Day ...maybe as a vampire or an unhinged demonic conspiracy theorist . Just thought he was a strong character, with an excellent performance from Shimmerman .

Comment

• Stoney
        Stoney commented
        Editing a comment
        I adored Snyder, he was a great character and as you say, excellently performed.

Rack. So, like, you're telling me that Sunnydale has its own dark wizard/drug dealer/sexual predator/pedophile and he's probably been in the town for longer than Buffy and she doesn't know that he even exists? What else doesn't Buffy know? And, like, the guy is incredibly cool (he makes Spike look like such a mall-goth dork in comparison) and also had a very dubiously consensual sex with Willow?! What, the subtext is pretty damn text-y, no? If people can subtext Buffy and Faith all day I can subtext Rack and Willow especially since it's like times ten in your face. And that beautifully wretched ghoul ends up being in three episodes total?! Wasted opportunity in my opinion.

Comment

Ethan Rayne. He is such a fun villain. The best thing about him is that although he does evil stuff all the time he is not really fully evil himself. There could have been dozens of stories for him. There could have been a redemption arc for him. There could have been Ethan and Giles friendship or even more than that. There could have been flashbacks that show us more of Giles' history that would have had Ethan in them. So many wasted opportunities.

The only other character I can think of right now is Mr. Trick. A likeable, smart vampire who wants more from his unlife than just the next happy meal. I wish he could have become a recurring character. His death was a bit anticlimactic. He should have escaped and then come back to Sunnydale from time to time to cause mayhem.

flow

Comment

Would've like to have seen the Faith show and Spike movie.
          For the Buffy show itself. I would've liked to have seen the writers actually examine the implications of some of the situations they raised instead of simply glossing over to the next one.

Comment

I would have liked more background on Hank Summers. Nightmares is one of my favourite episodes from S1, and a big reason for that is the very affecting scene from Buffy's dream. We get her nightmare vision of what she thinks her father feels towards her. Then when the episode ends the "real" Hank greets her and he comes off as not quite so horrible—at least on the surface. He's made out to be a contrast to her nightmare, in that episode.

In Normal Again we do see Buffy's 'hallucination' of him—but he's always remained a pretty opaque figure for me. As the series progressed, he became a non-entity and we never saw his reactions to either Joyce or Buffy's deaths. I've always been curious about him.

I also would have enjoyed more on Chantarelle. I always found her a very interesting character. Maybe if she appeared again in a future season or scene? Same goes for Kendra. (Although her death shapes events so climactically in Becoming 1 that I don't know....maybe I wouldn't want things done differently now in retrospect.) And I'll echo Nina, I would have loved more background on the Watchers' Council. Also agree with flow about Ethan Rayne. He was a fantastically shady character who was entertaining to watch and would have made a fun recurring figure through more seasons.

Comment

• Nina
              Nina commented
              Editing a comment
              Chantarelle is in three Ats episodes. She is a social worker in LA and calls herself Anne. Anne is doing really well those few times we see her.

I'd like to have seen more of Faith. She gets airtime in the comics of course but I would have really liked a Faith focused episode after she's had her jail time. I like what we glean through her appearances after but a bit more digging and maybe even with a flashback or two. But I can see why expanding on another character wouldn't have worked as readily for a one off episode without a wider involvement in a season. It would have been great it she'd been more heavily involved in S7.

Comment

Originally posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post
              I would have liked more background on Hank Summers. Nightmares is one of my favourite episodes from S1, and a big reason for that is the very affecting scene from Buffy's dream. We get her nightmare vision of what she thinks her father feels towards her. Then when the episode ends the "real" Hank greets her and he comes off as not quite so horrible—at least on the surface. He's made out to be a contrast to her nightmare, in that episode.

In Normal Again we do see Buffy's 'hallucination' of him—but he's always remained a pretty opaque figure for me. As the series progressed, he became a non-entity and we never saw his reactions to either Joyce or Buffy's deaths. I've always been curious about him.

I also would have enjoyed more on Chantarelle. I always found her a very interesting character. Maybe if she appeared again in a future season or scene? Same goes for Kendra. (Although her death shapes events so climactically in Becoming 1 that I don't know....maybe I wouldn't want things done differently now in retrospect.) And I'll echo Nina, I would have loved more background on the Watchers' Council. Also agree with flow about Ethan Rayne. He was a fantastically shady character who was entertaining to watch and would have made a fun recurring figure through more seasons.

Hank wasn't in the show because as Joss afmitted it was easier to keep him out as they wanted to make Buffy the mother figure to Dawn.

Chanteralle is in Angel. She's Anne, she's even in Not Fade Away the final episode

Comment

Faith in Restless..

Comment

• Stoney
                  Stoney commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ah that would have been great.

• MikeB
                  MikeB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No one had issues with Faith in "Restless" (B 4.22). Spike is in "Restless" because his presence lessens Xander's and Giles's relationships with Buffy.

ALL CAUGHT UP

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

What’s said in this post/comment is what I remember, my opinions, etc.

AtS = Angel .

* The problem with Faith is that Eliza Dushku was arguably the second or third biggest star during the TV run of the Buffyverse. She had a decent movie career and she's a lead actor.

She's mainly in AtS S4 and BtVS S7 so much because of Faith the Vampire Slayer. And likely because James Marsters didn't want the time commitment and responsibility of being the lead.

And that little comment by Spike in "This Year's Girl" (B 4.15) is kinda problematic after BtVS S4 given the ramp-up of Buffy/Spike. The show couldn't have Faith nor Drusilla in post-BtVS S4 much because it would hurt Buffy/Spike.

And Spike in "Dirty Girls" (B 7.18) essentially immediately flirts with Faith and probably would have had sex with her in "Dirty Girls" if Buffy didn't get home as quick as she did.

* Given my profile pic, my most obvious answer is: Drusilla. If even in flashbacks.

And Spike is never given an actual choice between Buffy and Drusilla because Spike never meets a 'Sane Dru'. Buffy chooses Spike over Angel in "Chosen" (B 7.22), in
                Spoiler:
                Season 8, and in Season 9.

* I understand Eliza Dushku's career decisions and why she focused on her movie career instead of being more involved in post-BtVS S3 and why she chose what became Tru Calling over FtVS, but, obviously, she should have been second lead of AtS or even gotten her own spin-off or been the lead of the spin-off.

It's possible though that had Eliza been a regular in BtVS S4, that James Marsters would have 'moved on' and the Buffyverse wouldn't have lasted as long as it did. James was turning down stuff in BtVS S3 in the hopes of becoming a regular in BtVS soon.

Comment

I'm going to have to say Clem! Maybe it's also true for him that he mostly works so well because he isn't in many episodes, but I love him and would have liked to see more of him.

I also agree with those who said Sunday, Ethan and Mr Trick, all very interesting villains.
                  https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Some of my choices are;

The Master: He featured in quite a few episodes of S1 but his scenes were honestly pretty repetitive and didn't tell us much about him. I loved his appearances in The Wish and Darla and I would have loved to see him in more flashbacks. Maybe even a scene with Spike and Dru?

Hank: I would have also liked to have seen more of Hank. With the exception of Normal Again we never see him as WSWB and I think it's a real shame. An episode addressing his neglect in one of the later seasons could have been really great.

Sunday: Overall I understood why they killed her because Buffy getting her groove back at the end of The Freshman wouldn't have been nearly as satisfying if she didn't stake the bitch. But I can easily imagine Sunday lasting a few more episodes as a captive of The Initiative and maybe even interacting with Spike. It could have been pretty impactful to have her show up in The Initiative instead of one of her minions instead.

The Mayor: I would have liked to see flashbacks to his past. Maybe to the founding of Sunnydale and the relationship with Edna May. I actually always envisioned him being a really great recurring character even after S3 if the show had chosen to explore Sunnydale's history more. He could've popped up every now and again in flashbacks etc which I thought would have been a lot of fun.

Faith: I do wish we'd seen some flashbacks of her past pre-Sunnydale. I'm particularly interested in meeting her alcoholic mother and her first Watcher.

Lilly/Chanterelle/Anne: We do see pop up in AtS which I loved but I was always really curious to have her meet Buffy again. It would have been lovely for Buffy to see how far she had come and how much she'd help inspire her. It could have particularly worked well in S6 when Buffy was going through such a rough time. Anne could have helped and inspired her instead.

Catherine Madison: Generally I'm not interested in bringing back MotWs but the actress was just so, so great in her brief scene in Witch that I would've loved if she could have appeared again in some capacity. She was stuck in that trophy so the possibility was always there.

Drusilla: We never see her in the present again after Crush. That's just not right. I can understand why she didn't really fit into the story of S6 and S7 was crowed enough but I think she would have made a great villain in AtS S5 for an episode with ensouled Spike and the Angel/Spike/Dru dynamic again.

And this one is probably cheating as we never actually saw her but...

The slayer pre-Buffy: I always thought that it was a missed opportunity we never meet or learn anything about the Slayer called before Buffy. All we know about her is that she was apparently not as pretty as Buffy (both Sid and The Master say this - it's a running joke in BtVS S1) and that's it. Much in the same way that Kendra made Buffy uneasy and face up to her own mortality (it gave Buffy "the creeps") I would have thought this Slayer could have done something similar. It seems odd Buffy wouldn't be very curious about her and I would ike to know more.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

• Stoney
                      Stoney commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great suggestions. I especially like your idea for The Mayor and seeing Faith's background.

Wish we'd seen more of Faith in BtVS and I would've liked to have seen Buffy in Angel S5

Comment

Working...
                    X