Faith, Joyce and Hurt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faith, Joyce and Hurt

Did Faith hurt Joyce more than Angel and Spike combined?

I believe she did, and as a shadow of Buffy, can this be read as Buffy feeling that she hurt her mother more than anyone else ever has? Is Faith a personification of Buffy's guilt where Joyce is concerned? How do you read the Faith-Joyce relationship?

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Did Faith hurt Joyce more than Angel and Spike combined?

I believe she did, and as a shadow of Buffy, can this be read as Buffy feeling that she hurt her mother more than anyone else ever has? Is Faith a personification of Buffy's guilt where Joyce is concerned? How do you read the Faith-Joyce relationship?
    I dunno about Faith (that requires me remembering stuff like plot) but did Buffy think she'd hurt Joyce more than anyone else? Yes - I think so (hence the S12 line "It's always you" to baby Joyce).
    From Intervention: "And now my mom is gone ... and I loved her more than anything ... and ... I don't know if she knew" (said in the context of Buffy wanting to delay returning to her duties). There's also some displacement here because Buffy also fears Joyce didn't love her (because slaying meant she wasn't a "normal daughter"). Hence the involuntary "memory" (which could also be a false memory) in The Body:
    "JOYCE: (quietly to Buffy) You are a demon child. BUFFY: I live to torment you, is that so wrong? JOYCE: A daughter's duty, I suppose." It doesn't help that because of her slayer strength she actually "hurts" Joyce while giving CPR. "You might have cracked a rib. It's not important". (I think it is important to Buffy - hence her concern for Spike's ribs in Potential - when she's training them to be slayers). There's also the possibility she blames herself for her parents' divorce (because of slaying).

You could also take the Electra theory on board (the female child transfers her love for the mother on to the father) and so, inevitably the mother is "hurt". In this case, she "rejects" Joyce for Giles (and slaying). The next stage is transferring her love for her father on to her husband (the editing at the end of First Date suggests she replaces Giles with Spike). Electra's been discredited but female philosophers have developed it. There's a problem - the female child has to reject that which she is (a woman) and also that of which she was once part (the mother). It's more complicated than this - I'm oversimplifying - but I think it's something the text is battling with up to the end. It's another reason I'm so angry with S12.

I'm fairly confident in the above but I can't recall the Faith/Joyce relationship well enough to draw parallels. It's interesting that Faith has two female watchers (doesn't she?). When she returns to SD in S7 it's as "the cuckoo in the nest" and she displaces Buffy, not as Slayer, but from her mother's house.
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X