Jump Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jump Forward

Do you think the show would have been improved if it had jumped ahead a few years from Seasons 4 to 5, or at anytime in its run? How would the show have been changed if it had gone in that direction?

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Do you think the show would have been improved if it had jumped ahead a few years from Seasons 4 to 5, or at anytime in its run? How would the show have been changed if it had gone in that direction?
    No...but then I'm quite resistant to the idea that the show could have been improved on . 4-5 is a transition period and I quite like that. I like tracked (or traceable) change. I don't like leaps in time (for instance S11 to S12) without exposition of some sort.
    Last edited by TriBel; 31-01-20, 11:58 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Improved is subjective. Like, 90% of the time when I hear the improvements people want, they sound dumb to me. I don't see any reason to have a jump in the show.

Comment

• Skippcomet
        Skippcomet commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, most of the time when someone suggests ways to have "improved" on the show, what they're suggesting is really "changes that are tailor-made to appeal to me and my particular favorites and/or ways to get rid of everything and everybody that I don't like." And it's not just limited to this show, either.

I know there were periods of time we missed when we joined them after the summer, but seeing where they were just before and where they were after such a short period often just served to underline the results of specific events we had viewed them just experience, rather than leave you feeling unsure of what has passed. If there had been a bigger gap the story would have become more about what we'd missed and had occurred offscreen inbetween. Or it would have instead have you feeling you were out of the 'know' and significant events would only become understood as any effects slowly emerged. It would have disrupted the feeling I think of deeply knowing these characters, having watched them live through their key transitions/experiences.

S11-12 did skip over some things that should have been 'viewed' because they were significant shifts, but it wasn't a huge time period so a great deal could still be pieced together with what came before and what followed. But where following events didn't really touch on the change in any meaningful way, with Giles reaging, the connection to the character was more 'lost' because we didn't gain details/insight afterwards. Larger gaps would have had more of that and I don't think would have resulted in viewers feeling as connected to the show/characters. So I really don't think it would have improved the show personally because I think it would have changed the feel of it for the investment and connection that it seems to draw from fans. Of course if that is how they had gone, we wouldn't know any differently.

It has been so long now they could do a catch up to where they are currently and have that big leap. It would be intriguing to see what they would suggest Buffy was doing in her 40s. But it could really leave with a sense of disconnection and disappointment that is unsatisfying. I quite like that they have left it where anything/everything is still possible.

Comment

It's difficult with Restless to time jump, because the end of S4 foreshadows so much. Maybe if they had jumped from S3, so perhaps they are finishing college, not starting college, in S4. But honestly I agree with you all, I much prefer it the way it was, though those missing 2/3 years would have been fantastic for fanfic writers

Comment

I love season 4 for how it follows the characters after high school. They have not yet settled into their new lives but that's what season 4 is about. had they jumped a couple of years we would have seen Willow in her later college years. But Buffy and Xander didn't even go to college. So, we would have jumped from Graduation Day to see Buffy as a counselor and Xander as a successful constructor? Also - what about Willow? Would she have met Tara later or would we have met her in an established relationship with tara after we just left her having had sex with Oz in season 3?
          People are still in a phase of transition in college and even afterward. You look for a job, find one, get used to working. Then you might start thinking about having a family, your life gets turned upside down with the first baby and so on. we saw a lot of that in the comics. To have the characters really settled in and grown-up the show would have had to jump ten or more years into the future. And I don't think it would have made anything better.

Has anyone watched Desperate Housewives? They did a time jump between two of their seasons. They had to do it so the character could have new skeletons in the closet without the viewers watching them putting them in there. But there is no need for doing something like that with BtVS.

flow

................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            Nah. I don't think a time jump was necessary at any point. If anything, I think they skipped over time a little too much in the last couple season openers. I've always thought it would have been interesting to have seen some of the immediate aftermaths of "The Gift" and "Grave" in the S6 and S7 openers instead of repeating the usual 'three-months-later' formula. Of course, their hands were probably tied in the case of the 6 opener as UPN probably wouldn't have wanted to air a new show with a dead protagonist so they had to bring Buffy back ASAP.

Comment

Because of this thread, I noticed yesterday that Lucifer hardly jumps even when it should do (at the end of a season). There's 2 days between S1/2; probably the same between 2/3 and about a month between 3/4. I reckon it's still 2017 on Lucifer! I feel as irritated by the knowledge that nothing was omitted as I do about the fact everything was omitted in BtVS S12. Ive become "unstuck in time" now... I don't know if I can suspend disbelief anymore. Did we ever have a full explanation of Spike's 19 days lost between BtVS and Angel?
              sigpic

Comment

Did we ever have a full explanation of Spike's 19 days lost between BtVS and Angel?
                Didn't Spike say he had no memory of those 19 days? I've read so much fanfic I'm not sure what's 'real' and what is fiction

Comment

• TriBel
                  TriBel commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No memory's a bloody cop-out! Though interesting because, more often than not, in BtVS memory is repressed not forgotten. Interesting also because Buffy recalls Heaven. There's probably the beginnings of a thread here. .

TriBel
                I reckon it's still 2017 on Lucifer!
                Maybe sometimes a month or two have passed unnoticed between episodes? We never see a Christmas for example or Thanksgiving. It could be because it happens off-screen. When did we first find out Linda is pregnant? I think it is only in season 4. And a few episodes later she already has Charlie.

flow
                ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

• TriBel
                  TriBel commented
                  Editing a comment
                  True...there's the comment in Pops (S1) about the Xmas tree so they obviously have Christmas. Linda's pregnancy seems to develop at speed - and I'm never sure how long Maze disappears for). Between seasons they make a point of mentioning the time that's slipped by. I don't think these things stand up to too much scrutiny irrespective of programme/genre. )

I think buffy the next generation should use the time jump. :-) The new slayers would be younger and the senuor leaders would be whatever age they actually are. Spike and any other surviving vampire should be human now, having shanshued.

I had issues with season 7 (and the killing of Tara) of the original series, but neither would be fixed by a time jump.

The time jump worked well in One Tree Hill because it allowed the characters to be the ages they were and to skip some boring stuff (like most of a prison sentence).

If Buffy had gone past 7 seasons, a time jump might have helped us age up people like Xander, but as it was, i think it would not have added anything.

Comment

• Skippcomet
                  Skippcomet commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Except Xander, Willow, and Buffy are all supposed to be the same age. You can't age just one.

I actually don't mind time jumps. I often find it really interesting to skip ahead and find the characters in entirely new situations. I also always liked how there was a 3 month gap between seasons because it provided a "fresh start" each year which is preferable to me then one long continuous sequence of events. It stresses me out to watch a series when the entire show spans over just a couple of weeks/months.

That said, I can't think of any point in the series where it would have benefited from another time jump. I for one am really glad we didn't skip over the college years as there's several important rites of passages during that time that I'm glad we were witness too.
                - "The earth is doomed" -

Comment

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* I consider viewers should be happy that we got 22 episode Seasons, 144 episodes overall, and that it would have continued had Sarah Michelle Gellar decided to do Season 8 or had Eliza Dushku decided to do Faith the Vampire Slayer .

The 'NetFlix' model of 8-10 episodes a Season is not always a good thing. For example: Sex Education . We've gotten 16 episodes over 2 years and less than a year has passed within the series.

* A year long time jump would be bad for storytelling in TV BtVS. As-is, Season 8
                  Spoiler:
                  has a time jump seemingly largely to show that Buffy was celibate for over 1.5 years after "Chosen" (B 7.22). And the timeline of Season 8 and Season 9 is still not 'set'. Did Dawn skip some grades even though she didn't even finish 10th grade?

In the TV Buffyverse, "Older and Faraway" (B 6.14) happens on January 19, 2002 A.D. Yet "Seeing Red" (B 6.19) happens on May 7, 2002. So, "As You Were" (B 6.15) happens likely less than 2 weeks before that.

Over 3 months pass from "OaF" to "As You Were" and that only happens because of how unhappy James Marsters was regarding how Buffy/Spike was being done. SMG and James didn't like doing the 'pathos' sex scenes of the Balcony Scene and the Dumpster Sex scene (the one in the actual episode).

Was it a good thing that we didn't see how Buffy/Spike progressed from "Dead Things" to "As You Were"? Was the lives of the other characters completely nonessential and unimportant during that time? There was no good storytelling reason for that time-jump.

* The only flash-forward that would make any sense wouldn't be good for the discussion of the Buffyverse: a flash-forward to see whom Buffy ends up with.

* It could be argued that some time jumping could have happened during BtVS S4 so that we wouldn't have to see Buffy/Riley stuff. But so much of Buffy/Spike in BtVS S6 is because of how Buffy/Riley happened. And we'd maybe need to see flashbacks of Willow/Tara stuff.

Comment

Working...
                  X