This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pack

In my opinion this is the first real quality episode of the show, I absolutely adore this episode!

The whole bully/predator metaphor was so well done in this episode. Mean Xander, though not really 100% him was great. I loved the Xander/Willow friendship themes in this episode, Hyena!Xander really ripping into Willow was so harsh and heart melting .

Buffy was great in this episode, standing up to Xander, for Willow. The pack eats Herbert, the school pig mascot... some things you can only get away with in Buffy! The whole pack hyena supernatural element was a nice new interesting touch, not vampires, but not as cheesy as praying-mantis-biology-teachers either. The zookeeper wanting to be a hyena person was an unexpected twist. The Buffy/Xander near rape scene, very intense, though I wish the episode had gone deeper with that, it could have been a good complication for the Buffy/Xander relationship back in S1. However since these are the early days and the real meaty darkness doesn’t come till later it’s not surprising that it didn’t.

And Xander makes up for his meanness by saving Willow. This episode was great, it made me absolutely hate the hyena's in so many different ways, vulnerable Willow was heartbreaking to watch the volleyball scene especially. Yet this was a great way to firmly establish the Xander/Willow friendship which has to be the core reason I adore this episode so.

So far definitely the best season one episode yet.

8/10

Comment

Let's continue with ''Angel'' I think it is quite important episode for Buffy. Because she had the first kiss and then she found out that Angel's a vampire!! IMO, it's 7/10

Comment

Well, I'd have to give "Angel" a 7/10 also...I enjoyed the ep, learning the truth about Angel, and the drama that entailed. Plus, I've always been a suceker for the starcrossed-lovers theme, so this whole thing just makes me root for them more.
        It's blood...It's just like mine.
        It doesn't matter where you came from or how you got here.

You are my sister.

Comment

Angel was an nice ep, the Buffy&Angel kiss was important..that was the first enjoyed it..Learning the truth about Angel was cool! I'd give 7/10 also..
          sigpic

Comment

ANGEL kind of weirded me out, though I'll admit that it's ok (5/10) it had one fundamental flaw, Angels personality changed to damn easily. It barely took one minute alone with Darla before he was willing to slash Buffys throat out and then it took about one minute with Buffy for him to turn back. the only really great thing about this ep was seeing a vamp with guns, other than that it was a fairly average ep (Which for this series still means its good)
            Tap dancing hurts if you fall in the sink

Comment

I much prefer The Pack to Angel. Angel introduced a main character and all, but I find that The Pack is more fun to watch. I love that Pig!
              "Well... When I'm with a boy I like it's hard for me to say anything cool, or witty, or at all. I - I can usually make a few vowel sounds. And then I have to go away..."

Comment

7/10 for Angel, though I agree with potterfanatic on Angel quickly changing persona. The pack I will give 5/10. I like going back to watch Angel, not so much with The pack, but it had good songs and Xander being evil. Oh and SMG's outfit at the end I luv. She looks very pretty in it.
                http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/3504/fireban2hr6.png

Comment

See I prefer the Pack to angel (The Pack gets an 8/10) because what I love about it is the ending. When Xander turns god again within seconds he see's Willow in danger and rushes to her rescue, even though he's unarmed. And Xander saying straight out "Nobody hurts my willow" is so damn sweet that I cna't help but well up with tears
                  Tap dancing hurts if you fall in the sink

Comment

Originally posted by potterfanatic View Post
                    ANGEL kind of weirded me out, though I'll admit that it's ok (5/10) it had one fundamental flaw, Angels personality changed to damn easily. It barely took one minute alone with Darla before he was willing to slash Buffys throat out and then it took about one minute with Buffy for him to turn back. the only really great thing about this ep was seeing a vamp with guns, other than that it was a fairly average ep (Which for this series still means its good)
                    Now, see, I had always felt that Angel's personality change w/ Darla was just an act. He was just acting tough and maybe thinking he could go back to 'playing' the tough guy. As we learn (much later, mind you), Darlla has always had an amazing pull over Angel, and maybe part of him still longed for it, cuz what he saw in himself w/ Buffy scared the crap out of him and he didn't know how to deal with it. This would be the first relationship he'd ever had since his soul was returned and he didn't really know the limits of that. Heck, he'd gone vamp-face just kissing the girl. He loved her and he was probably deathly afraid of what he would do if they got closer, so he let Darla taunt him into 'playing the game'. However, once he was back in Buffy's presance, he couldn't maintain that facade cuz he loved her. And once he started talking about himself and his desires, the fact that he wanted to kiss Joyce, that blood-lust will never go away for him, he's a vamp. And once they'd started talking, he realized that the game-playing just wasn't for him...he desperately wanted Buffy to understand him, as much as she could as a human.

So, that's my take on his split-second personality changes....
                    It's blood...It's just like mine.
                    It doesn't matter where you came from or how you got here.

You are my sister.

Comment

There're some really good points there - Angel off-balance by his feelings for Buffy, torn by his whole past with Darla, tormented by the blood-lust denied by his soul. Plus I don't think the writers had quite settled into his character at that stage!

'Angel' gets a 7/10 for me too - but a huge bonus point for the vampire! reveal - I never saw that coming when I first watched it!

*happysigh* I really have to watch the whole lot from the beginning again, and what a great excuse to!
                      The world is doomed!

Comment

Angel is the first episode of Buffy that really got me into the show.
                        First of all, David shirtless.
                        Sarah/David chemistry.
                        Sweet kiss after funny moment then... hazzah! Angel is a vampire! But how can he be good!?
                        Buffy walks in to see Angel standing over her bleeding mother.. cut to: Angel flying out of the window. Awesome!!
                        LOL ok, so I don't think this episode measures up quite like later episodes, but it's a good intro to the show.. and is probably responsible for my bangel-ness.

8.5/10
                        sigpic

Comment

I did like the way Angel came out from where the window was, but did Buffy throw him out or did he jump out?. But he didn't fly through the window, more of a desperate measure to leave the building, with a touch of the plummeting thing at the end, and the landing skills of a dying duck.
                          Angel liked to sing 'Oh Mandy', using the Angelus method.

Look at it, play with it, then torture it.

Comment

Originally posted by Illyrian View Post
                            I did like the way Angel came out from where the window was, but did Buffy throw him out or did he jump out?. But he didn't fly through the window, more of a desperate measure to leave the building, with a touch of the plummeting thing at the end, and the landing skills of a dying duck.
                            I always took it as Buffy throwing him through the window, or striking him which sent him through the window. I don't think it was Angel jumping out the window, as you said he had the landing skills of a dying duck if that was the case, and we know Angel's more graceful than that.
                            "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

I liked Angel as an episode, just hated the ending with Darla and the guns; it seemed so out of no where.

Comment

Yeah, that's a good call, we so rarely see guns in the show, too, but I guess it was such early days that maybe the gun ethos hadn't been fleshed out yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X