Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No HTML

HTML is turned off for security reasons.

Please do not use html in your posts or messages. If you are copy and pasting something from another website and you are having problems with it showing, then it may have html in it. This could be in the form of a website link or a viewable image or an emoji or a special chacter. I am not sure this is the reason we have errors posting.

Some html code can be simply swapped with our Bulletin Board code by changing the greater than/ less than signs with bracket signs. Other BB code needs to done using the buttons in the advanced post editor.
2 of 2 < >

Home Page

The home page address has changed to: http://buffyforums.net/forums/
Please update your bookmark. Otherwise, the home page does not show you are logged in and/or will not let you type into the log in box in the top right. The link at Buffyforums.net to the forums has not yet been updated. So you will experience the error when you enter the forum through that link.
See more
See less

Better Or Lucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Or Lucky

Anya tells Buffy she isn't better than everyone else, she's just luckier. Do you think being the Chosen One is a stroke of luck? Does being chosen make you better; morally, physically or any other way? Is Anya right?

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* Spike tells Buffy in "Touched" (B 7.20) that she was Chosen because of the person she is. We don't know how the Slayer is Chosen. But Buffy somehow becomes the Best Slayer Ever and is even superior to Melaka Fray.

Buffy's so successful as leader because her subordinates love her and are relatively very loyal to her. The problems with Giles happens simply because Giles doesn't love Buffy enough and wants some sort of influence in her Slayer life.

* Season 8 implies that SuperBuffy is actually Buffy's full Potential. And Willow in Season 9 gets the Seedling because of Willow's connection to Buffy.

In terms of luck, Buffy's lucky in the sense that her looks attracted Angel, Xander, Spike, Riley Dracula, Wood, and Dowling. But her looks also make her 'better' than others.

* "Empty Places" (B 7.19) showed the downside of Buffy's 'consensus-wanting' leadership style.

Comment

In terms of luck, Buffy's lucky in the sense that her looks attracted Angel, Xander, Spike, Riley Dracula, Wood, and Dowling. But her looks also make her 'better' than others.
      Do you think it was only her looks that attracted these people to her? I think her looks made people underestimate her, which could work in her favour, but also worked against her. Although her age was a factor also.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        Anya tells Buffy she isn't better than everyone else, she's just luckier. Do you think being the Chosen One is a stroke of luck? Does being chosen make you better; morally, physically or any other way? Is Anya right?
        The way the storyline ends sort of answers that question. I'd say all Anya's comment is about is a voice of Buffy's inner turmoil. Whether or not she is worth her power is Buffy's core arc of S6 and S7.

I would not say there is anything lucky about being the slayer. Yeah, you get the physical super powers, but you also get a short, bloody life.

Comment

All caught up.

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

RESPONSES TO THE THREAD:

* My quote: “In terms of luck, Buffy's lucky in the sense that her looks attracted Angel, Xander, Spike, Riley Dracula, Wood, and Dowling. But her looks also make her 'better' than others.”

I wrote “In terms of luck”. It wasn’t only her looks that attracted those men to Buffy, but Xander and Riley seemingly simply initially found Buffy ‘hot’.

Buffy is Drusilla 2.0 to Angel.

Spike’s attraction to Buffy is because of what her body could provide for him. He knows she’s dating Angel. He watches her dance. He watches her slay. It isn’t until sometime later that Spike actually falls for BUFFY.

* Buffy in “Conversations With Dead People” (B 7.07) is having a therapy session regarding her relationship with Spike. At the time, she still doesn’t know how he got his soul back. She actually doesn’t even know whether he actually wants to ‘be with’ her.

Buffy naturally likes the power she has as the Slayer. See: “Helpless” (B 3.12) and “Tabula Rasa” (B 6.08).

Comment

Anya's right.

ANYA'S ALWAYS RIGHT!!! but that's beside the point, I guess...

All that slayer power was just handed to Buffy. Buffy didn't earn it. Buffy didn't work for it. It's pure luck - India dies when Lothos visits LA, Buffy's a potential so she's activated. All facts. Since Scoobies are not a ****ing monarchy Buffy should not be the leader because of her birthright. Being a slayer doesn't make Buffy better *anything* - better person, leader, etc. I mean, Faith's a slayer as well, right and she's mostly garbage.
            Last edited by a thing of evil; 10-01-20, 10:09 PM.

Comment

I do wonder if the Slayer is Chosen because she is 'better', that even if she wasn't a slayer, would she be a good person who was better than average. She's achieve more, be more altruistic or be a leader in some other way, as long as life dealt them a good hand where family and upbringing were concerned.

Comment

I would not say there is anything lucky about being the slayer. Yeah, you get the physical super powers, but you also get a short, bloody life.
                You choose a short, bloody life. The only thing that's keeping Buffy in Sunnydale is her altruism.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  I do wonder if the Slayer is Chosen because she is 'better', that even if she wasn't a slayer, would she be a good person who was better than average. She's achieve more, be more altruistic or be a leader in some other way, as long as life dealt them a good hand where family and upbringing were concerned.
                  What makes a good person? Are any of the gang better than some other character we never see who never saved anyone but never hurt anyone? Kinda pointless to speculate. If you asked her, she'd probably say no. But it's noted throughout the show through actions that she does what she does not because she has slayer powers. Same as the rest of them.

This was your 5000th post.

Comment

Either Anya's characterisation is wildly inconsistent or what she said to Buffy in Empty Places was purely out of vindictive spite because this is what Anya had to say about being a Slayer in Potential;

"If she gets to be the Slayer, then her life is short and brutal"

"It's like being swallowed by something larger"

"This isn't about womanly power. Dawn just might have bought herself an early death"

"Rushing's only gonna get her killed"

Anya was the one arguing why Dawn being a Potential was a negative thing because the Slayer's life is short and brutal. So it makes no sense for her at all to call Buffy "lucky" in Empty Places when she'd been arguing the exact opposite just a few episodes earlier. She was just being nasty as she clearly had hated Buffy for some time (she wanted to abandon her all together in Get It Done).
                    - "The earth is doomed" -

Comment

This was your 5000th post.
                      Oh wow, get me!

Comment

what she said to Buffy in Empty Places was purely out of vindictive spite because this is what Anya had to say about being a Slayer in Potential;
                        That was always my take on it. She's scared and mad that Xander got hurt. Anya was always one to skew things to fit her own emotional state or what she thinks is right at the moment. They even comment on her tendency to do that in First Date. "My feelings are changeable but intense."

Comment

Let's see - being chosen is part of what blew up Buffy's parent's marriage. It got her kicked out of school, and lost her all her friends, and then she came to Sunnydale. There her vampire lover turn evil and killed her favorite teacher as well as kidnapped and tortured her mentor. She got kicked out of her home, expelled from school, and ended up having to send the man she loved to hell. Her slayer abilities were stolen from her by someone she trusted and she was locked in a house with a psychotic vampire trying to kill her and her mother. She had friends killed, and a sister slayer turn on her and try to destroy her. She had her human boyfriend go nuts with jealousy, because she couldn't love him enough in the right way. Her friends all turned on her more than once, and the person she trusted more than anyone took her out to stall her so he could arrange the murder someone she cared about.

There's so much more to list but you get the gist of it. It's clear, being called as a slayer is luck.

I just definitely wouldn't call it good luck. Buffy has paid the price repeatedly. If there is any gift beyond luck it is the inner strength not to kill Anya for running to Buffy for protection repeatedly, then turning on her out of jealousy and spite.

Yeah, Buffy is a better leader because everyone has turned to her to lead them. Buffy is a better fighter, and everyone has turned to her for protection. Buffy is a better planner, and everyone has relied on her to rescue them. Whatever gifts she has developed came in large part because she always made the moral choice which did not include leaving town.

I should add that there are few things in the series that piss me off like Anya's ugly diatribe.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by MikeB View Post

Your idea that all the men on the show were mainly interested in Buffy sexually is just odd.

Xander had a crush on Buffy, but he became a scooby because he needed to help rescue Jesse and later Willow. Angel wasn't attracted by Buffy's beauty but by seeing her cry as her parent's marriage blew apart. He saw helping her as a way to help himself, to get out of the gutter and make a difference. It was helping the slayer that mattered regardless of Whistler's comment.

Spike wanted another notch in his belt, and if she hadn't been the slayer and able to put up a good fight she would have been a meal soon forgotten. Dracula wanted to master the slayer. Wood also was interested in getting to know the slayer. Riley is probably the only one who had no idea what he was getting into and he wanted long drives and picnics in the park.

There is nothing I see that even hints at the idea that if Buffy had a large nose or a fat arse none of these men would have even bothered to get to know her.
                          Last edited by bespangled; 10-01-20, 11:40 PM.
                          Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

Originally posted by HardlyThere View Post
                            That was always my take on it. She's scared and mad that Xander got hurt. Anya was always one to skew things to fit her own emotional state or what she thinks is right at the moment. They even comment on her tendency to do that in First Date. "My feelings are changeable but intense."
                            I don't even think it's just about Xander. Anya straight up tells Buffy in Get it Done that she's not her friend, despite accepting Buffy's olive branch in Him ("I don't want my friends alone out there right now"). Anya loathed Buffy throughout S7 to the point she argued that they should abandon her in the portal because she's "so superior" and "should find her own way back." Granted, I can understand why Buffy's speech in that episode would've pissed people off (her comments about Chloe were out line) but Anya was seriously arguing to leave Buffy lost in another world.

I think Anya holds a lot of resentment over Selfless. In that episode she seemed pretty pragmatic about what had to happen ("Buffy has a job to do. And so do I") but she perceived Buffy's treatment towards Spike as hypocrisy ("shouldn't we stab him in the chest? Isn't that what we do in these situations?"/ "Spike gets a get out of jail free card that doesn't apply to the rest of us. I mean, he could slaughter a thousand frat boys and... forgiveness makes us human. Blah, blah, blah"). This in turn seemed to fester into resentment towards Buffy which led to Anya publicly attacking her at any opportunity.

I find it really aggravating because not only did Buffy save Anya's life in Him but she made a pointed effort of referring to Anya as a "friend" as a way of welcoming her back into the fold (and under her protection). For Anya to throw that back in Buffy's face in Get it Done ("I'm not! (your friend)") was really spiteful and venomous.
                            - "The earth is doomed" -

Comment

What really offends me is that not one of Buffy's friends objects to Anya's jealous, vindictive rant. Whatever reasons they have for wanting her to leave, allowing Anya to turn it into a personal attack without objection is another way of turning on her. Does this mean they agree with Anya - they believe Buffy thinks she is better than everyone?
                              Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

Working...
                              X