Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BtVS's status given "Breaking Bad" and "Games of Thrones" are considered better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BtVS's status given "Breaking Bad" and "Games of Thrones" are considered better?

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* Disclaimer: I'm one who considers those who wear Apple watches--if they aren't elderly and using it for the medical alerts and such--and who wear Apple pods or Apple Pro pods not as bright.

Wear a Garmin running watch or a 'luxury watch' if you don't actually care about wearing something very useful. I used to wear Bose Soundsport (only because of running and new phones stopped having the headphone jack) and now wear Jaybird Tarah Pro.

* When it aired, BtVS was put in the same league as The West Wing and The Sopranos and was considered better than both. BtVS was generally watched by intelligent people--geeks and nerds and otherwise. And it is beloved by the media and critics because it's such excellent writing.

Nowadays, BtVS isn't even in the IMDb Top 250: https://www.imdb.com/chart/toptv?ref_=tt_awd .

* The main premise of Breaking Bad makes around no sense. A Nobel Prize in Chemistry winner is a mere high school chemistry teacher? And Game of Thrones soon made little sense because Dany was made too powerful too quickly for the series to last more Seasons. It then had to hamper her by making her seemingly forget she had 90 ships, making her literally imprison her dragons, making her make very stupid decisions, etc. And the ending is somehow worse and makes less sense than the ending of Battlestar Galactica - Reimagined .

Band of Brothers is good television but somewhat ahistorical and not re-watchable. The Wire is great but not re-watchable. I've always found it curious that one would consider The Wire better than The West Wing S1-S4. I consider The Wire love possibly the beginning of 'being woke'.

Breaking Bad never had the global appeal of Buffy. Genre and target audience are one reason but mostly it's just too American. The premise doesn't make sense and the setting is alien. It's the same with The Wire. Cult status in the US, virtually obscure globally.

Comment

Originally posted by a thing of evil View Post
      Breaking Bad never had the global appeal of Buffy. Genre and target audience are one reason but mostly it's just too American. The premise doesn't make sense and the setting is alien. It's the same with The Wire. Cult status in the US, virtually obscure globally.

Not true. Breaking Bad is hugely popular in the UK and Aaron Paul got a huge reception on TopGear
      The Wire is also popular though Omar is arguably the most popular.

I would argue that both Chernobyl and Gomorrah are better shows than Buffy albiet different genres.

Comment

Having just had a quick look at that top 250 list, I'm really surprised that Buffy didn't make it. No disrespect to any other shows, but some on that list are really not great. I wonder how these things are decided, because Buffy is still incredibly popular.

I personally love The Wire, but I have only seen it once and have no desire to re-watch. I also love The West Wing and have seen a lot of those episodes twice. I watched The Sopranos when it was airing, but never really connected to it, though there is one episode (this from memory so I might be wrong about the details) where Tony's girlfriend set fire to herself on the cooker top when her dressing gown caught fire. That's stayed with me.

Breaking Bad is very good, Better Call Saul is better. Game of Thrones will be thought of in the same way Lost is nowadays. Is Lost still popular? Both started out so well and ended terribly.

Comment

I'm sorry Breaking Bad makes plenty of sense. BB is I think my favourite adult drama of all time, rivalled only by Chernobyl which was a stunning and in many ways unique piece of work imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            Having just had a quick look at that top 250 list, I'm really surprised that Buffy didn't make it. No disrespect to any other shows, but some on that list are really not great. I wonder how these things are decided, because Buffy is still incredibly popular.

I personally love The Wire, but I have only seen it once and have no desire to re-watch. I also love The West Wing and have seen a lot of those episodes twice. I watched The Sopranos when it was airing, but never really connected to it, though there is one episode (this from memory so I might be wrong about the details) where Tony's girlfriend set fire to herself on the cooker top when her dressing gown caught fire. That's stayed with me.

Breaking Bad is very good, Better Call Saul is better. Game of Thrones will be thought of in the same way Lost is nowadays. Is Lost still popular? Both started out so well and ended terribly.
            David Fury went and worked on Lost after Buffy and Angel and openly said they were just making it up as they (Lost) went along and had no idea how to end it.

Game of Thrones issue was GRR Martin had a 3 book series that he dragged out and now he has no idea how to end it. The show then went past the books and they (the TV show) were stuck.

Is DS9 on that list just out of interest ?

Comment

Sorry - Mike B. I don't understand the relevance of your criticism of Apple watch wearers.

In addition, isn't the star rating based on an average? A seven season series probably contains more turkeys than a three season series.

When it aired, BtVS was put in the same league as The West Wing and The Sopranos and was considered better than both. BtVS was generally watched by intelligent people--geeks and nerds and otherwise. And it is beloved by the media and critics because it's such excellent writing.
              The academics I know who work in film and television studies wouldn't rate Buffy higher than the Sopranos or WW. My ex-husband watched both Buffy and Angel and - take it from me - he's stupid. I'd sacrifice my BtVS box set before I sacrificed The Sopranos or The Wire. I've done far more full re-watches of them than BtVS.

I consider The Wire love possibly the beginning of 'being woke'.
              I was "woke" 30 years before the term became popular. The Wire is just stunning TV.
              sigpic

Comment

Is DS9 on that list just out of interest ?
                Doubtful, it scores 7.9 on IMDb, and their Top 250 list goes down to shows that score 8.4. Buffy scored 8.2.

Comment

The Witcher is on and there's only been 9 episodes.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                    The Witcher is on and there's only been 9 episodes.
                    Just goes to show what nonsense it is. Though if everyone could go onto IMDb and vote up Buffy I'd be very happy

Comment

Just goes to show what nonsense it is. Though if everyone could go onto IMDb and vote up Buffy I'd be very happy
                      I think it says more about the way lists are constructed than the worth, value, etc of the programme.

I'm on my 12 rewatch of Lucifer but I wouldn't claim it was "better" than The Wire (4 rewatchs) - or BtVS.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...e-21st-century

Buffy makes it on to this one.
                      Last edited by TriBel; 27-12-19, 07:02 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                        Sorry - Mike B. I don't understand the relevance of your criticism of Apple watch wearers.

In addition, isn't the star rating based on an average? A seven season series probably contains more turkeys than a three season series.

The academics I know who work in film and television studies wouldn't rate Buffy higher than the Sopranos or WW. My ex-husband watched both Buffy and Angel and - take it from me - he's stupid. I'd sacrifice my BtVS box set before I sacrificed The Sopranos or The Wire. I've done far more full re-watches of them than BtVS.

I was "woke" 30 years before the term became popular. The Wire is just stunning TV.
                        Personally I think Buffy S7 is boring TV. Nonsensical plots by a writing crew who had clearly given up, with a lead actress who just looked bored through most of it. People used to joke that you could tell the difference between good Buffy and First Buffy by her folded Arms

The Wire is Stunning except for the 5th season. The fake serial killer nonsense is ridiculous and how they killed off Omar was just bad.

What do others think of the Shield ?

- - - Updated - - -

I tried to watch it on Netflix and have up it's boring.

Other great shows include Rome though it's only 2 seasons
                        Last edited by BtVS fan; 27-12-19, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Buffy makes it onto a lot of lists. I wonder if there will come a day when it doesn't, when it really has passed its sell by date?

Are there great shows in the 70's and 80's that used to make it onto lists, but then over the years tipped into unfashionable then old fashioned? I think Hill Street Blues still makes lists, but what about Moonlighting? Was it ever good or was there just so little else on?

Comment

• Hunga Munga
                            Hunga Munga commented
                            Editing a comment
                            At it's best , Moonlighting could be amazing for it's time . It could be clever , playful and groundbreaking . Moonlighting , Hill Street Blues , 30something , Northern Exposure . These were the shows that I remember changing the way I regarded US television .

@Priceless - Hill Street Blues is canonical - although didn't Homicide, Life on the Streets break the ground for it? I, Claudius from 1976 and The Twilight Zone spring to mind.

@BtVS fan. The Shield - I liked. I've got it on DVD somewhere. Agree about S5 of The Wire.
                          sigpic

Comment

Breaking Bad was great, but it was watch-once television. Once seen, I'm not extremely pressed to keep rewatching it like I would The Sopranos or BTVS. Better Call Saul will end the same way, I suspect, since it's more or less become Breaking Bad rather than how BCS began. Claiming BrBa had limited appeal is silly. While it's true it was an underground show from S1-S3, it absolutely exploded when the normies latched on to it after S4.

It's all subjective. I personally would not put stuff like Chernobyl (miniseries should have their own category anyway) or GoT anywhere near prime HBO. GoT is Edgelord TV, I don't care what anyone says. If you had swearing and rape on 90s syndicated TV like Xena, that's the level of writing it had. It just looked really good visually.

IMDb lists always favor the new anyway.

As far as Buffy goes, I think fans have a distorted view. Industry people loved it, but it was never big genpop wise, not in the US anyway. It was never nominated for a major award. One time it was, I distinctly remember an awards show recapper chortling when the name was read. The other time it stood zero chance. It was, and I believe currently is, seen as a 90s cult teen soap opera. How are you going to claim a show is one of the greats when when most of the fanbase can't stop bitching about 50%+ of it?

Comment

Working...
                            X