Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oz/Veruca storyline A doged bullet or missed opportunity ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oz/Veruca storyline A doged bullet or missed opportunity ?

Ok so we all know that with Seth Green leaving they sped up the Oz/Veruca storyline, so it starts and finishes over Wild At Heart when it was meant to be over a series of episodes but here's the question . Did the show unintentionally dodge a bullet.
    The Actress doing that weird head tilt all the time looked silly and she was given some less than stella dialogue which made it seem even sillier. Plus the actual story wasn't that interesting to me (others may feel different) . So did the show luck out with not dragging it out over the course of the season ?
    Missed Bullet
    25.00%
    Missed Opportunity
    75.00%

Nah, I personally think it's a real shame.

I've seen a few fans state that they thought Paige Moss was a poor actress but I found her to be really great in the role. I thought she depicted her euphoria at the wolf 'taking over' really well and her snideness towards Willow ("good shirt") was really well done. I didn't like her but I've known plenty of girls just like her and I thought she was really realistic in her portrayal.

I was also really loving Oz's character in Season 4 and I'm always incredibly disappointed whenever I rewatch the season and he leaves prematurely. They were really beginning to flesh out his character, have him interact more with other members of the Scoobies, and I thought what they were touching on with his werewolf-side was pretty interesting (I adore the shot of him in the bathtub in "Fear Itself" etc). It was shaping up to be such a great season for the character and I'm always surprised it's when Seth made the decision to leave the series because he was being given far more to do than in Season 2-3.

I would have really liked to see the arc span out over more episodes. It could've also tied in nicely with the Initiative storyline as in "New Moon Rising." With that said, even though I prefer Willow/Oz and loved Oz's character, I also really enjoyed the Willow/Tara storyline in Season 4 too and it was my favourite season for that relationship as well ("Who Are You" "New Moon Rising"). So as much as I would've loved for Oz to stick around I didn't want to necessarily lose that storyline either
    "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

Yes, a bullet was dodged. Not because of the actress that plays Veruca or anything, I just find love triangles incredibly dull, especially when you know how it's going to end up. It would have been nice to see Oz interact with the other characters* but I don't know if that would have happened.

*This is one of the reasons Seth gave for leaving, that all he did was agree with Willow but considering that his more or less what Tara and Kennedy did, I don't think much would have changed. I know the original quote says Buffy, not Willow, but I think either he misspoke or he was misquoted. Green even comments in the commentary for WaH that it was rare he and Sarah ever had a one on one scene.

Comment

Originally posted by HardlyThere View Post
        Yes, a bullet was dodged. Not because of the actress that plays Veruca or anything, I just find love triangles incredibly dull, especially when you know how it's going to end up. It would have been nice to see Oz interact with the other characters* but I don't know if that would have happened.

*This is one of the reasons Seth gave for leaving, that all he did was agree with Willow but considering that his more or less what Tara and Kennedy did, I don't think much would have changed. I know the original quote says Buffy, not Willow, but I think either he misspoke or he was misquoted. Green even comments in the commentary for WaH that it was rare he and Sarah ever had a one on one scene.
        I think youre right, it would make more sense with Willow.

He is also kind of right too. He shows up in New Moon Rising and is essentially just a plot device for Riley to leave the Initiative. Even in the Comics where the writers have nothing to hold them back in what the want to write, again he is just there.
        I know Joss said how Seth walked out on us at the time and they had big plans for him but honestly how big were they really ?

Thinking about it I also don't think the evil female seductress tempting sweet and pure Male Oz away looks good for a feminist show either.

Comment

Personally I think it was a missed opportunity. It happened so quickly, I would have liked more of a build up so we saw the Veruca/Oz relationship grow more organically from their bond as werewolves. I think there was a lot of potential for drama and the exploration of what it means to have this 'dark side' that you either accept or don't. We could have seen how it bought them together but also forced them apart. And can you imagine all the great AH acting we could have seen as she's torn apart by jealousy and anger . . . oh the tears

I liked Oz, but I found him pretty one note, and to be the apex in a love triangle would have given his character more depth and helped him grow, not just be the cool stoner guy he always appeared to be.

But I enjoyed what we actually got, so although I voted missed opportunity, I don't think we really missed out terribly.

Comment

All caught up.

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* The problem is the ‘mutual werewolf-attraction’ doesn’t really work when the interest is on both sides and Oz doesn’t cheat on Willow until several months after first noticing Veruca.

And if it ‘dragged out’, it’d simply be another commentary on the Buffy/Spike relationship. Wesley/Lilah was largely used to simply do an Angel Buffy/Spike commentary.

* The problem with Oz in BtVS S4 is he wasn’t as useful to the Scoobies or to Willow. And Tara could be more useful to the Scoobies and to Willow.

Comment

I'm totally on the fence because I can see how it could have worked and been really interesting but I also enjoyed what we got and I wouldn't want to change it. I really missed Oz, would have welcomed seeing more of his character/struggles explored, but the show and the characters moved on and were great without him too.

Comment

Working...
              X