Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 Worst Episodes According to IMDB

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Doublemeat Palace has a special place in my heart. Yes, It's slow and weird, but that's the point. It shows the work routine of fast food workers, they become like robots, using the same phrases every day. Not to mention to deal with customers, who expect top food and service for a low price.

    Anyway, these top and worst lists mean nothing to me. Everyone has their top and worst episodes and opinions can change over time. I even don't have a clear list of my favorite season to my least favorite, but they're some I prefer more than the others, but I can't number them. I guess I'm really bad with lists.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by BtVS fan View Post
      Lol I can't believe I forgot about DMP
      An in episode in which the rich writers make fun of McDonald's workers
      Add in the juvenile Penis monster and the awful Joyless sex in the alley scene (urgh the implication that sex is bad/not meant to be enjoyed is just urgh) and it's a pretty terrible episode.
      I don't think it's a hit at fast food workers, but at how the actual work is what deadens people. There is a guy there who's going to grad school and people who see it as a career, they are suited to the work, unlike Buffy. Life Serial does the same thing with shop work, and how it's the work that's the issue, not the people doing it, especially when you've got Giles and Anya who both love the work. It's about finding what suits you, and getting things out of it that you want, whereas most of us are like Buffy, stuck in jobs we don't enjoy because we need the money.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        I'd mostly agree with this list, except for The Freshman, which I'd say was a great episode and along with Lessons, my favourite opening episode. Why don't you rate it Stoney?
        Ugh, I didn't mean The Freshman, doh, I meant Living Conditions. I've edited it.
        Last edited by Stoney; 20-10-19, 11:20 AM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Stoney View Post
          Ugh, I didn't mean The Freshman, doh, I meant Living Conditions. I've edited it.
          I thought it was an odd choice I always though The Freshman was pretty great

          Comment


          • #20
            Oh, wow, that list is so bad. Superstar? No. It's a really fun, smart episode. Gingerbread? No. It's one of the weakest in season 3, but it's still pretty good. Meanwhile, no Teacher's Pet, Some Assembly Required or Reptile Boy?!

            Here's mine:

            1. Teacher's Pet
            2. As You Were
            3. Some Assembly Required
            4. Reptile Boy
            5. Go Fish
            6. Him
            7. I Robot, You Jane
            8. The Initiative (probably the only controversial opinion, but I stick by it)
            9. End of Days (because of the ending)
            10. Where the Wild Things Are - I don't hate it, but it is are still weak. (Beer Bad is pretty weak, too, but not quite for top 10.)

            I would have put Doublemeat Palace there after my first watch, but I liked it better on rewatch.

            - - - Updated - - -

            Originally posted by Stoney View Post
            There's something of worth to find in all BtVS eps though and one of the things I've really enjoyed the most about the rewatch is gaining better appreciation for all of them as we go along. I mean these are 'worst' suggested eps and they are still rating on IMDB above 6 for all those in the OP but Beer Bad.

            I haven't put great thought into which eps would be the worst from my pov. Beer Bad, WTWTA, Go Fish and Bad Eggs from the original list here would probably feature, but not the others. Maybe Teacher's Pet, IRYJ, Some Assembly Required, Inca Mummy Girl, AYW, The Freshman (oops, my bad), Living Conditions. But I might be forgetting one I'd swap. As I said, there's something to appreciate in all BtVS eps and that's part of why I love the series as much as I do. Picking ten as 'worst' sounds harsher than I feel in negativity about them.
            I find Living Conditions to be one of the weaker episodes of season 4, too, though not that bad to be in top 10. I still find The Initiative to be the worst season 4 episode, worse than even Beer Bad or WTWTA, between the uncomfortable mixed metaphor sex/rape Spike/Willow scene, and the pathetic and misguided attempts to make the audience like Riley and show that he's into Buffy by: focusing on his POV, having his friends tell him he's into Buffy (Tell, Don't Show) and having him punch Parker but then having Forest say that he was only upset because he has a thing for Buffy, otherwise he's apparently perfectly fine with people saying gross and sexist things about women as long as those women aren't someone he's into (according to Forest, Riley has heard Forest say things about women worse than Parker's toilet seat joke?! Ouch)...This is a guy you want me to think is great and perfect for Buffy? Think again.

            I don't hate Riley as some people do, I'm just lukewarm to him most of the time, and at times I even kind of liked him, but these forced attempts to make the audience think he's awesome (The Initiative and As You Were) were awful messes.
            Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 20-10-19, 01:45 PM.
            You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

            Comment


            • #21
              I love Superstar too and didn't agree with their choices. I also considered Reptile Boy too, but opted for Living Conditions.

              I can see your point about Riley in The Initiative. I've started to actually quite like his path in the show, but the eps when they try to force likability of him on us it's irritating. The last time I saw The Initiative with the rewatch I thought the violence/aggression switch to humour in the Spike/Willow scene was too jarring. I still don't dislike the episode overall compared to the others I picked, but I do think that scene is definitely problematic in how they mixed it.
              Last edited by Stoney; 20-10-19, 07:01 PM.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                I love Superstar too and didn't agree with their choices. I also considered Reptile Boy too, but opted for Living Conditions.

                I can see your point about Riley in The Initiative. I've started to actually quite like his path in the show, but the eps when they try to force likability of him on us it's irritating. The last time I saw The Initiative with the rewatch I thought the violence/aggression switch to humour in the Spike/Willow scene was too jarring. I still don't dislike the episode overall compared to the others I picked, but I do think that scene is definitely problematic in how they mixed it.
                How Willow handles Spike in Lovers Walk is far superior imo. Her sympathy for him is clearly feigned and she is shown as smart by tricking him by sending him to Buffys house. While there is no switch up with the rape metaphor either, "I haven't had a woman in weeks unless you count that shop keeper" like in the Inative.

                I say this as a Spike fan but an episode that should be on the list is Out of My Mind. The writers don't even try to give a reason why Buffy does not confront him after he'd tried to get the chip out and bite her. Its never brought up again and completely forgotten or him getting back with Harmony. Another thing that's forgotten about
                Last edited by BtVS fan; 20-10-19, 08:06 PM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by BtVS fan View Post
                  How Willow handles Spike in Lovers Walk is far superior imo. Her sympathy for him is clearly feigned and she is shown as smart by tricking him by sending him to Buffys house. While there is no switch up with the rape metaphor either, "I haven't had a woman in weeks unless you count that shop keeper" like in the Inative.

                  I say this as a Spike fan but an episode that should be on the list is Out of My Mind. The writers don't even try to give a reason why Buffy does not confront him after he'd tried to get the chip out and bite her. Its never brought up again and completely forgotten or him getting back with Harmony. Another thing that's forgotten about
                  The reason Willow is more sympathetic in "The Initiative" is that she has recently been made to feel sexually insecure by Oz's attraction to Veruca. And she hits Spike with a lamp.

                  As for not staking spike after OoMM. In "No Place Like Home," Buffy is in too much of a hurry. She can't have a fight with Spike while she is figuring out what Dawn is and what is going on with her mum. In "Family," Spike saves the day, so it would be bad form to stake after he has done something good. In "Fool for Love," Buffy needs Spike's help. Etc, etc.

                  If Buffy had had some spare time right after OoMM, then Spike would undoubtedly have been dust.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Willow from Buffy View Post
                    The reason Willow is more sympathetic in "The Initiative" is that she has recently been made to feel sexually insecure by Oz's attraction to Veruca. And she hits Spike with a lamp.

                    As for not staking spike after OoMM. In "No Place Like Home," Buffy is in too much of a hurry. She can't have a fight with Spike while she is figuring out what Dawn is and what is going on with her mum. In "Family," Spike saves the day, so it would be bad form to stake after he has done something good. In "Fool for Love," Buffy needs Spike's help. Etc, etc.

                    If Buffy had had some spare time right after OoMM, then Spike would undoubtedly have been dust.
                    She only hits him after realising he wait a minute what am I doing, which she doesn't need in LW and as she tells Xander, she either helps him or he kills her or she helps him then he kills them anyway. It just didn't work. The whole scene was just a fake out by Joss due to a fake rumour Willow was being killed off nothing more. Petrie even confirms it on the commentary (I think)

                    Buffy had loads of spare time between OOMM and NPLH. She also knew he had teamed up with Harmony again.
                    That's why that dream sequence at the end should've been real rather than a dream, it actually made sense.
                    Hell Riley had already told Spike in BvD he didn't have a problem killing him now that he was helpless. I'm sure both Giles and Xander would've done it too.
                    Why they didn't was obvious writer fiat and because JM was on a contract.
                    Its the same reason why Buffy does nothing but stare when both Dru (a slayer killer) and Harmony both walk away in Crush or why Angel gives Harmony a Job reference in Ats S5 Writer fiat
                    Last edited by BtVS fan; 21-10-19, 07:09 AM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X