Buffyverse Brothel Metaphor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffyverse Brothel Metaphor

What do you think are the ethics behind the Buffyverse 'brothel' Riley visits? Do you even see it as brothel?

Is it a sustainable way for vampires to exist?

Can Buffy allow it to happen? If she turns a blind eye, as Giles has apparently done, would that make her complicit in something that's not so ethical, and is that a bad thing? Is Giles at fault for not mentioning it before?

I can see why Giles doesn't mention it because there are a lot more active threats to try to deal with. Having said that, I don't think it is a safe practice and although the people are choosing to put themselves at risk it isn't just themselves that faces danger because of it. As with other negative/addictive behaviour the repercussions of it going wrong can fall to those closest to them too. Riley could even have been deliberately targeted and turned because of his connection to Buffy. He put Buffy, her friends and family at risk as well.

I don't think it's a way for vampires to survive. A vamp could intentionally pretend to be playing nice and then kill or do it for a time and then just decide they aren't going to play along any more. Even in the comics when they have the idea of vamps being known and operating in society, with Harmony's rules there for rubbing along together, they do still consistently show that vamps are still perceived as untrustworthy and unreliable and wariness is still needed.

So I'd say if you were looking to eliminate all threats it would be included in the list but I can see why it would be near the bottom.
    to be returned as soon as possible...

Comment

It's like BDSM, just a little bit more (or less, I guess - depends on who you ask) hardcore. So it's dangerous? Well, climbing is dangerous. Parachuting. Motocross. Alcohol consumption. What, are you going to slay mountains too, Buffy? Let people enjoy life.

Comment

It seems to me like it's most similar to taking drugs. The clients visiting the vampire brothels know it's risky but they still do it (and probably the risk is part of the thrill, similar to the examples a thing of evil gave). I don't really see how they endanger others with it though, as long as they don't actually get themselves bitten AND turned. (But the latter would definitely be against the vamps' interest as it would mean more competition on the suck market.) So you could argue that the suck addiction is actually less harmful for others than most other addictions, and the vamp brothels are not worse than for example liquor or tobacco stores.
        https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

TBH, I think her time would be best spent sorting out human smack dealers. Riley's getting his kicks - the vamps aren't killing and no one profits in the way dealers do. Yes - there's a risk attached but, as ATOE says, there's risks attached to many things.

vamps are still perceived as untrustworthy and unreliable and wariness is still needed.
          Yeah...but wariness is needed with any "illegal drug" or risky past-time...and in many cases, when something goes wrong, it's the family that pays (literally with drugs).
          sigpic

Comment

Could Buffy have been paid to perhaps be a bouncer at one of these suck-joints? She controls the door, controls who comes in, oversees the vamps and makes sure none of them get out of hand. Is this a viable job for a Slayer?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              Could Buffy have been paid to perhaps be a bouncer at one of these suck-joints? She controls the door, controls who comes in, oversees the vamps and makes sure none of them get out of hand. Is this a viable job for a Slayer?
              I nearly suggested that (better use of her skills than DMP?) but didn't because, despite what I said, it's probably a morally gray area. I can understand why Giles just ignores it (pretends it's not happening - does he take his glasses off?). Who's going to pay her? It's like Governments decriminalizing drugs or legalizing prostitution. They might think it's a good idea but their electorate probably don't. It's like Hamsterdam in The Wire.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                I nearly suggested that (better use of her skills than DMP?) but didn't because, despite what I said, it's probably a morally gray area. I can understand why Giles just ignores it (pretends it's not happening - does he take his glasses off?). Who's going to pay her? It's like Governments decriminalizing drugs or legalizing prostitution. They might think it's a good idea but their electorate probably don't. It's like Hamsterdam in The Wire.
                I agree it is very much like Hamsterdam. Though I'm sure some would think it's a good idea, I do think it is morally a grey area. Giles probably thinks they have enough on their plate with Dawn and Glory and don't need to complicate their lives worrying about vampires who are not deliberately setting out to kill people.

To make a livable wage, the 'Rileys' would have to be charged a small fee perhaps, which would go to Buffy. She'd guarantee their safety in return.

Comment

I don't think so. It seems antithetical to being a Slayer to facilitate vampires biting people, even if it's not deadly. I can't see that happening. Allowing it without interfering seems the most one could expect from a Slayer in this case -- but actively supporting? No.

I haven't seen The Wire. What's Hamsterdam? It sounds funny.

Comment

I haven't seen The Wire. What's Hamsterdam? It sounds funny.
                    I would highly recommend The Wire! It's a fantastic, though depressing, series.

Hamsterdam, in the show, is a part of Baltimore that the mayor and police agreed they would allow the drug trade to happen without stopping it. So all the druggies and sellers moved into these special zones. It's meant to reference the red light district of Amsterdam

Comment

Hamsterdam is Ep 4 S3 of The Wire (you haven't seen The Wire? It's what TV was invented for!).

"The title refers to the Dutch city of Amsterdam, which is famous for its liberal drug laws; Officers Thomas "Herc" Hauk and Anthony Colicchio use the city's name as an example to the drug dealers. This subplot was introduced to explore the potential positive effects of de facto "legalization" of the illegal drug trade, and incidentally prostitution, within the limited boundaries of a few uninhabited city blocks. The posited benefits were reduced street crime citywide and increased outreach of health and social services to at-risk populations. The name "Hamsterdam" comes from the drug dealers' mishearing Herc when he refers to Amsterdam, although some viewers have noted that the "Ham" reference may also be a pun based on the dealers' view of the police as "pigs." (from Wiki). As I recall, despite being a success, they're made to close it down because of the mayoral elections. Apparently, it's "since been used to characterize districts or regions that are ignored by law enforcement agencies".

LOL! Pricey's come up with a business plan for a vamp-brothel!
                      Last edited by TriBel; 15-07-19, 12:12 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

LOL! Pricey's come up with a business plan for a vamp-brothel!
                        I feel like I'm channeling Anya

Comment

Thanks for the Hamsterdam explanation, Priceless and Tribel! I had guessed the name was a play on Amsterdam. Associated worldwide with drugs and prostitution, nice...

Comment

Which brings us to the question of whether all vamps are evil. If a vampire lives in a suck-house and only bites willing victims is that a viable way of allowing thrill seekers and vamps to be integrated into society? It's definitely a brothel - customer, money, penetration, bliss. Like illegal brothels there are risks - dying of a sexually transmitted disease is a slower but more painful death.

Are vampire brothels regulated by their owners? Having customers damaged in any way would hurt business. In fact, that seems to be the main complaint of the vamps seems to be about how bringing Buffy to the brothels would affect business. I can't see her being a bouncer there. At best I see her turning her eyes away, much like Giles. However, Spike as a bouncer would work well. The other vampires could take care of humans who act out, and Spike could dust vamps who don't play by the rules.
                            Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

It looks most like a drug den, to me. The vampire specifically bites Riley's arm and leaves puncture/needle wounds.

It invokes the idea of exploiting addicts for sex, to me. It's quite well put together visually and conceptually. There is the mix of sex and drug-related imagery. There is the contrast between Riley's beefy body against the anorexic vamp. Riley is handsome, while the vampire's face is twisted and her teeth are a mess. There's ambiguity concerning who takes advantage and who is exploiting whom.

I think Giles was a costumer (of similar places in the past), especially since he mentions he knows those places from his "Ripper days." That has to be significant. The demon-possession spell had the same connotations to sex and drugs.

Another prostitution metaphor is of course D'Hoffryn and his "girls."

Comment

Working...
                              X