Which is the Better Season 4 or 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is the Better Season 4 or 5?

I thought it'd be fun to have another seasonal head-to-head . . . So in your opinion, which is the better season and why.
    Season 4
    11.76%
    Season 5
    88.24%

S5 is better, IMO. Better big bad acting as an anti-Buffy. I find it more fun to watch. Act 2 is a little bit weaker than S4, but Act 3 is probably the best of the show. A distinct lack of OOC-driven eps which I do enjoy but S4 has way too many.

Also the general aesthetic is better to me. Everyone looks very pretty.

Comment

I'm one of the few that really enjoys S4. I think it's the funniest season. But I voted S5 because Glory over Adam.

I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

Season 4 is better. Like, OK, season 5 clearly has a better (the best!) villain, a stronger overall arc, it also has The Body, The Gift and Fool For Love. However, that means exactly **** all because season 4 has so many great episodes it's basically unfair - Fear Itself, Something Blue, Who Are You, Pangs, Doomed, New Moon Rising, Primeval AND Hush AND Restless! It kinda is the best season.
        Last edited by a thing of evil; 19-06-19, 10:54 PM.

Comment

You're make me want to change my vote A thing of evil

I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

I haven't voted yet because I am torn. I love them both, and I've always said 5 is better . . . but now . . . I just don't know

Comment

Bloody Hell! This is like Sophie's bloody choice! You'll be asking me to chose between my kids next! It's a draw! No extra time - no golden goals. Just good old fashioned 1 - 1! Look at all the exclamation marks you've made me use!

GoSpuffy ATOE was very persuasive wasn't he?

Priceless:

I haven't voted yet because I am torn. I love them both, and I've always said 5 is better . . . but now . . . I just don't know
              Oh FGS!
              Last edited by TriBel; 19-06-19, 11:14 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

TrriBel! What should we do? Show us the way

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  TrriBel! What should we do? Show us the way
                  Ban a thing of evil! I was ready to vote for 5 until I read his post - then doubt crept in! Can we unsee what he wrote?

I could vote for 4 and you could vote for 5 - we could cancel each other out.
                  Last edited by TriBel; 20-06-19, 12:14 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

I agree with a thing of evil that season 5 has a much better villain and a stronger arc than season 4. And although I agree that S4 episodes such as Hush and Restless were among the best of the show, on average I enjoyed the episodes of Season 5 better. I loved the bold move that was the introduction of Dawn, and things like Buffy standing up against the council, the Spike/Buffy interaction, the Magic Box as the new Scooby Central. It was a season full of humour as well as drama. So for me S5 still wins.
                    https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

I think S4 has some incredible individual episodes and I actually really like Adam and enjoy his inclusion. But it doesn't have the overall direction and build up that S5 does. From Dawn's introduction the exploration and sense of uncertainty about herself runs alongside Buffy's greater consideration of her slayer side really well. The consideration to family and roles is brilliant and builds so well to Dawn's intention to jump but Buffy's actual leap. Glory is a really good big bad, properly threatening and scary and the way they used both hers and Ben's self exploration against Dawn and Buffy is great. Aaaand FFL is my favourite character episode, it worked so superbly as a background for Spike and paved so much of what was to come. So it has to be 5 it was, for me, the second strongest season overall.

Comment

Season 5, because a) Glory>Adam and b) The whole "Faith actually thought the Mayor was a harmless wittuw snake and feels betrayed by Buffy" storyline drives me batty. (Faith in S3 knew what the Mayor was and why Buffy attempted to kill Faith. Heck, she was waiting on Buffy to try it in "Graduation Day, Part One.") With that said, I might feel more positively toward season 4 if Maggie, and the wonderful Lindsay Crouse, had stayed in the picture longer, because she gives Clare Kramer's Glory a run for her money in the villain department. Maggie's twisted dynamic with Riley and her psuedo-MIL status to Buffy are subplots that could've added up to so much more. Additionally, she was the rare female villain who didn't rely on sex appeal to go after her marks, didn't give orders through a male figurehead, and didn't seem more obsessed with fripperies than tactics. The season pretty much falls apart after her death, although post-arc masterpiece "Restless" and Ozillow wrap-up "Full Moon Rising" are exceptions to the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                          Ban a thing of evil! I was ready to vote for 5 until I read his post - then doubt crept in! Can we unsee what he wrote?

I could vote for 4 and you could vote for 5 - we could cancel each other out.
                          I've thought about it and it came down to the bad - Riley and the Initiative is worse than Glory and Buffy killing herself. And the good - The Body is better than Hush.

I love 2 & 3 and that was a tough choice, but actually this is worse, as both these seasons are so good when looked at episode by episode.

Comment

They both have pluses and negatives as Seasons but overall I'd have to choose S5.
                            That said the first half of S4 (beer bad aside) up to Hush is really good and some truly great episodes (Fear itself/Something Blue) from the show .
                            The stunt work peaked this season. I loved the College setting and College sets (well maybe not the Initiative set that looked so cheap) which felt fresh and dynamic.
                            But the second half of S4 fell off a cliff. Riley was a failure on all levels and the floppy disk monster was a 1 episode monster of the week that somehow became the season villain. Meanwhile a lot of the more darker and interesting stories seemed to be put on Angel series.

S5's issues had the shrinking of sets to basically Buffys house and the magic shop. No little bad so Glory just sitting around until Sweeps. Plus the actress and the guy who played Ben were terrible. Also the Hobbits and Knights who say Key just didn't work.

On the plus side it had Spike. No matter how much was or was not intended he and Buffy sizzles on the screen and the family dynamic with them and Dawn actually worked.

Comment

I think season 5 is the best season of all. No difficulties here

flow
                              ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

Working...
                              X