Buffy HD.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffy HD.

I would love to show you guys this Tumblr I found.

I have personally never seen Buffy in HD before, so my next rewatch is going to be new and exciting.

I know there are some people who got a negative reaction towards the HD version, but anyway I would love to showcase this Tumblr who does nearly all the Buffy episode in HD for free.

I hope you guys enjoy!

The Tumblr is {here} is still working progress I believe.

Thank you very much, buffylover.

For watching I'll happily stick to my DVDs, but for vidding this is an amazing resource. In particular S2 is a real pain for vidding, it's so dark and grainy so I am VERY happy to be able to lay my hands on the HD versions. Many thanks again!!
    https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

I highly recommend HD Buffy. There are some issues with it, sure, but the cast looks absolutely gorgeous in 1080p. It's a huge upgrade, especially if you want to make gifs/fan art.

Comment

I'm another fan of the HD. There's issues I have with it (I particularly hate how they mess with the lighting in the bedroom scenes during Angel) but the pros far outweigh the cons IMO. The cast do indeed look amazing and it's so fun noticing a lot of details (like the slogans on people's shirts or on posters on the walls etc) that were just a blur in SD. There's also some episodes that I used to think look really ugly lighting-wise (both Inca Mummy Girl and The Dark Ages had this weird yellowish tint) that have been improved drastically in the HD version.

This Tumblr is amazing! I've been looking for a place to download HD versions of the episodes for ages The original episodes are getting damn near unwatchable on new TV's now.
        "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

Originally posted by Double Dutchess View Post
          Thank you very much, buffylover.
          You are more than welcome! and thank you and SpuffyGlitz for giving me rep there was no need. I was happy to share with this with others and also big thank you to the TUMBLR! for taking their time to upload these.

Originally posted by a thing of evil View Post
          I highly recommend HD Buffy. There are some issues with it, sure, but the cast looks absolutely gorgeous in 1080p. It's a huge upgrade, especially if you want to make gifs/fan art.
          I have never seen Buffy in HD before, so when I saw this on TUMBLR I instantly knew there would be perfect for creating gifs/fanart. And also to watch.

I would love this to be on a sticky thread on this side of the section I just don't want people to miss out... Sosa?

Comment

The aspect ratios--meaning much of the content is cut off--is what makes the "Buffy HD" Pivot thing unwatchable. Essentially, the only benefit and only reason to get the "Buffy HD" is to see various scenes in HD--meaning the various women in various outfits and/or state of undress and the various men in states of undress.

I generally watch all non-HD (meaning less than 1080p) content on my Macbook Pro and it's good enough. Its upscaled and watchable. On a big 4K TV, even 1080p content isn't the best.

With good headphones and a good 15-inch laptop screen, the experience is good enough.

Comment

For your information, Buffy in HD is available on streaming platforms...well, at least some of them? The whole thing's been quite a mess. HD Buffy was first broadcasted on Pivot TV channel. Naturally, rips quickly hit the internet but that version was just 720p and had some issues that were at least partially fixed since. Then some Spanish channel aired it in 1080i, "i" as in interlaced garbage. Then it was released in 1080p on Netflix and the like but it's not on Netflix anymore? The version from the tumblr blog is proper 1080p, episodes are 1 -1.2 Gb each so the quality is very decent but I've seen versions where the episodes were 2 Gb each, supposedly from Amazon or something?

Hopefully a definite version will be released on Blu-ray one day.
              Last edited by a thing of evil; 12-05-18, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Maybe now all the episodes are 'up' on that Tumblr link in the Original Post.

Again, the canon version of BtVS is what is on the full screen United States version DVDs. These HD ones are mainly only good for seeing certain scenes in higher definition, whatever those 'certain scenes' means for you.

In addition, it's unlikely the HD episodes are actually true 1080p. In my opinion, even Netflix stuff isn't in true 1080p and true 4K. And I remember Amazon.com has 'high quality' being something around 6.84GB per hour, when a not-even 2-hour BluRay movie can be around 36GB or more without special features.

This is all to say that I want a BluRay version of BtVS and AtS.

Comment

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* I'm not sure what happened, but the https://hdbuffy.tumblr.com/dls look better than they used to. I'm not sure if they were re-uploaded, if Catalina (MacBook Pro software update) somehow makes them look better, etc.

The darks are properly dark and look better than the DVD darks. The picture quality is much better than I remember the BTVS in HD was. In some shots, James Marsters and Juliet Landau look older than they do in less high-quality shots. Unfortunately, SMG's acting doesn't seem as good in higher-quality picture.

But the runtimes on the widescreens still seem considerably shorter in that the canon is still solidly the US-version DVDs.

Anyway, I'm now used to high-quality 1080p, and 4K. I cannot understand why DVDs are still a thing (and they actually sell better than Blu-Rays).

EDIT: There are Angel links on the this page: https://hdbuffy.tumblr.com/dls2 . It says only AtS S5 is in 1080p. I haven't seen any of the Angel links yet.
                  Last edited by MikeB; 21-11-19, 06:08 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* Sarah Michelle Gellar's acting is noticeably better sometime in "Checkpoint" (B 5.12) or after and then again noticeably better in "Intervention" (B 5.18) and after.

* Michelle Trachtenberg's acting gets significantly to considerably better in the Season.

* The widescreens clearly have 'information' that is not-canon. You see SMG in sweatpants when the character is actually wearing a skirt. You sometimes see actors off screen who are doing 'off-camera' acting. Rarely you see equipment--cameras, etc. But none of it is bad enough that a reasonable person would know that stuff is not canon.

* The widescreens have 'information' in them that the full screen versions doesn't have that is probably still actually canon and was clearly shot for the 'widescreen version'. You sometimes see characters on-screen that are actually there (given the actors are doing on-screen acting) that the full screen doesn't show.

* The only problem with the widescreen is the episodes are considerably shorter--even a few minutes mean those few minutes aren't in the episode. The episodes sometimes don't flow as well as the US-version DVDs.

If the episodes were the same length, the 'canon' would be the widescreens minus the non-canon stuff like clothing and film equipment.

EDIT: The BTVS in HD really showcases the difference between Method Acting and non-Method Acting. James Marsters and Juliet Landau 'become' the characters and are mesmerizing and very compelling because of it. Anthony Stewart-Head is a cross between the level of James's and Juliet's acting and the other cast's acting.

Eliza Dushku 'becomes' Faith Lehane. She's arguably a better Faith than Sarah Michelle is a better Buffy--meaning she's better at playing Faith than Buffy is at playing Buffy.

Much of SMG's greatness as Buffy is her on-screen chemistry with David Boreanaz and James Marsters, and arguably Michelle Trachtenberg. Eliza Dushku is largely responsible for the chemistry between Buffy and Faith because Eliza purposefully pushed that chemistry. Eliza purposefully did the lesbian undertones/context between Buffy and Faith and SMG simply went along.

Alexis Denisof doesn't have as 'much to work off' as the other actors, but he shows in BtVS S3 his potential. And Angel clearly shows his acting chops that are arguably better than Anthony-Stewart Head's.

I never understood the complaints regarding Clare Kramer's acting as Glory. But the BTVS in HD arguably shows she's better at playing Glory than Harry Groener was at playing The Mayor.
                    Last edited by MikeB; 22-11-19, 10:29 PM. Reason: added stuff.

Comment

The only problem with the widescreen is the episodes are considerably shorter
                      That doesn't sound right. I have both versions and the run times are about the same - they're not identical but the differences are completely minuscule, like -/+ 5 seconds, and can be explained by logos that are displayed after the credits. The actual episode footage is identical, length-wise. There's one exception - Once More, With Feeling but that has always been an issue, TV version is couple of minutes shorter than the DVD release.

Comment

Originally posted by a thing of evil View Post
                        That doesn't sound right. I have both versions and the run times are about the same - they're not identical but the differences are completely minuscule, like -/+ 5 seconds, and can be explained by logos that are displayed after the credits. The actual episode footage is identical, length-wise. There's one exception - Once More, With Feeling but that has always been an issue, TV version is couple of minutes shorter than the DVD release.
                        "Once More With Feeling" (B 6.07) is considerably longer than the BTVS in HD version. The TV version is the same length as the DVD version (the DVD version is also in Wide Screen, as the TV version was).

Do you have the US-version DVDs? They are minutes longer each than the widescreen versions. The US-version DVDs don't have the "Previously on" stuff and "Empty Places" (B 7.19) doesn't show the explosion of "Dirty Girls" (B 7.18) that Faith and Co. suffered.

Comment

* James Marsters in some interview or con' or whatever said something like he had to get his body ribbed 'at another level' because the lights 'wash out' abs and such. At the time, I considered he was exaggerating.

High-definition video and better darks make a considerable difference. He's 'cut' in "Out of My Mind" (B 5.04) and his shirtless scenes in BtVS S6.

On the DVDs and other lower-quality videos, he looks 'bulky' in BtVS S7. But in the Buffy in HD https://hdbuffy.tumblr.com/dls stuff he's toned in BtVS S7. In "Storyteller" (B 7.16) it's possible the 'soft lighting' results in his not looking as toned as he maybe is.

Especially for BtVS S6, that would have taken dedication to be that 'cut'. He bulked up in BtVS S7 and seems to have mostly stayed bulked up after BtVS S6.

* I didn't notice much of a difference for Marc Blucas. He never got 'cut', albeit I consider Buffy/Riley not sexy and even off-putting.

* David Boreanaz in the Buffy in HD looks slightly more toned in the shirtless "Surprise" (B 2.13) scene. He doesn't as much seem to have 'a belly'.

David arguably at-most has a 'flat stomach' in "Band Candy" (B 3.06) and "Revelations" (B 3.07) and his arms seem smaller than James's were in BtVS S7 and maybe even in BtVS S6 given the lack of fat on James.

* Nicholas Brendan doesn't look as 'fat' in the Buffy in HD stuff in BtVS S7 as he does in the DVDs and lower-quality video stuff.

Comment

https://www.reddit.com/r/buffy/comme..._full_episode/ https://mega.nz/#!HUUGTIaa!oo4UM1fob...-7DYesjbUwegMc

The above is a 48 minute version of "Once More With Feeling" (B 6.07). I think it might be the UK version, given the maker says it's from a PAL source. The quality is relatively excellent given the source.

Comment

Working...
                            X