Positives and Negatives - S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 11 - Ted

Positive: - There are some nice character points in the ep for Buffy which follow on neatly from that aspect of not being able to separate herself from her slaying, how 'who she is' blends across the different areas of her life. Her 'career' suggestion sits against her slaying life so often. Seen last in investigating what was stolen from the crypt and this time in investigating Ted when snooping around his office. Then there is the overlay of her emotions in her slaying activities. As we later see the passion that can be stirred by fighting (something Buffy initially denies to Faith but displays with both Riley and Spike), here Buffy uses the fight for emotional release and takes out her frustration/anger on the vamp before staking. Something else that she will also deny to Faith but also display in her relationship with Spike.

Negative: - There is not much I dislike about this episode to be honest. I'm going to go for Jenny being cruel in how she accuses Giles of "constantly poking around, making little puppy dog eyes at me". I'm not unsympathetic to how she is feeling post Eyghon, but that was unnecessarily nasty. It also doesn't help that we know she is hiding her original purpose from them and that might play a part in why she looks to reconcile (although I have no doubts that she genuinely has come to care).

--
    I agree Pricey, John Ritter really does knock it out of the park.

Comment

Ted

Positive: I like the closing conversation. Buffy tells Willow that she's supposed to use her powers for good, I just wanna learn stuff, says Willow. Such an interesting and overlooked tiny bit of characterization.

Negative: I think that by making such a big deal out of Buffy taking a human life the show craps on its own continuity. Buffy killed humans before, first time in "The Pack" and then again two episodes ago. The guy that got his throat slit by Buffy's ice skate? Guys, that was no demon. Giles even mentions that some of the order's assassins are human and nobody cares. You can't show Buffy killing a human in cold blood and giving absolutely no shit whatsoever and then have her mope about killing a human two episodes later. It doesn't make sense.

Comment

I think there's a difference between a human that is a life and death risk to others, that is trying to kill and her mum's boyfriend that hits her and she lets loose on. I think Buffy makes it clear she felt she was taking the opportunity to hit him because he gave her an excuse rather than because she felt like she had a legitimate reason. And she hadn't had any intention to kill. She wasn't seeing it as a kill or be killed situation either. From her point of view she lost control and it escalated and got out of hand rather than anything she felt warranted using the force she did.

Comment

Day 12 - Bad Eggs

Positives:I really like the Gorch brothers. Cordy/Xander bickering is fun. Xander hard boiling his egg is clever.

Negatives:Buffy's obsessive love for Angel. Joyce's constant lecturing and over reaction.

Comment

Day 12 - Bag Eggs

Positive - I know romantic Bangel fans aren't going to agree with me here, but I actually really like how the show is often questioning the older man/hidden aspects of a person alongside the teen angst/melodrama of Bangel. The Gorch brothers as a threat often hidden from view that recognise and 'know' Angel works to emphasise the demon within him that defeated Eyghon is still there, still a part of him. I think the writing deliberately questions the different levels of experience and not truly knowing someone necessarily well when romance/hormones are raging throughout the first two seasons. But I do think Angel has an innocence to him at this point in his story as he is genuinely desperate for acceptance to feel that some redemption might be possible for him, I don't think he is maliciously manipulating Buffy but is being influenced by his inner turmoil as she is being driven by hormones. They are both on a pretty rocky road of self development that makes them more equal in intent if not in actual life experiences. But it is right that it is a part of their story and it is of course, after having experienced that he can lose his soul, this aspect which coherently plays a part in influencing Angel's choice to leave.

Negative - The repeated points about responsibility and consequences is somewhat overdone in the episode and it means no one gets points for noticing the foreshadowing here, nuh-uh.

Question: Why were there so many pick axes and shovels in the school? Has anyone ever had an excavation club at school or some such that could justify it?

Comment

Question: Why were there so many pick axes and shovels in the school? Has anyone ever had an excavation club at school or some such that could justify it?
              Well they had a Horticulturist class so maybe they had an Archaeology class? Or Snyder made them do hard labour when they committed any infractions

Comment

Bad Eggs

Positive: Mind-controlled Willow is deliciously creepy.

Negative: This episode is an incohesive mess. You have themes of parenting/responsibility, alien-y mind-controlling abomination, redneck vampire brothers and then the whole Buffy/Angel routine on the top of it. How does all of this even fit together? It's a bunch of random, half-baked ideas and that's just not good storytelling.
                Last edited by a thing of evil; 01-02-18, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Ted

Positive: One of the few episodes where we see Xander in short sleeves. Loved how despite how much they liked Ted, Xander and Willow were on Buffy's side the second they heard about her killing him.

Negative: I really wish Ted was human.
                  Made by Trickyboxes
                  Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Day 13 - Surprise

Positive - Oz's just cool-headed, "Actually, it explains a lot" to finding out about the vampires/supernatural in Sunnydale is just so perfectly him.

Negative - Willow's hat is terrible (although she's still kind of adorable in it).

Comment

Day 13 - Surprise

Positives: Always enjoy a slayer dream sequence so they were well done, especially Dru and Buffy wearing the same white virginal dress. Willow is great, Willow and Oz are doubly great. Spike all burnt and in a wheelchair. I like the claddagh ring, it's a very thoughtful and loving gift.

Negatives: The misdirect with Jenny, as thought she's springing a trap, when really she is doing exactly what she says she's doing, taking Buffy to her party. It's just an odd choice. Buffy kissing Angels ring, this whole goodbye is just too much

Comment

Surprise

Positive: Drusilla dancing to Transylvanian Concubine is one of the coolest, sexiest and most sensual scenes in the entire series.

Negative: Enyos is awfully one-dimensional.

Comment

Day 12 - Bag Eggs

Positive - Finally, seeing a mall in Sunnydale! There should have been lots of Buffy and Willow scenes at the mall. I love that Buffy recognized the cowboy boyfriend as vampire due to his lack of reflection. While Buffy and Willow's sluggish state is no fault of their own, Xander's excitement to help Giles is endearing. The Buffy/Xander team up! So awesome! They're so amusing together as the non-research types who solve the mystery. They're so adorable together. My favorite moment was Xander telling Buffy to be careful followed by him tripping through the hole and into the tunnel.

Negative - I hate the retcon about Joyce even more watching the scene Buffy tells her about "saving the world from vampires." See, without the retcon, Joyce's headshake and "I swear, sometimes I don't know what goes on in your head" is to be expected and normal, but with the retcon about the asylum in mind, Joyce comes off really bad.

Buffy's non-stop jabs about Giles getting a life and being a loser get on my nerves.

Day 13 - Surprise:

Positive - Buffy’s encouraging Willow to seize the day when it comes to Oz, and all the Oz/Willow scenes were amazing, I love how gleeful she was about going to the party with Oz while poor Xander was shot down by Cordelia. Xander telling Giles to express himself with less vocabulary.

Negative - The death of Dalton. I liked him.
                          Made by Trickyboxes

Comment

Day 14 - Innocence

Positive - This ep has one of my favourite individual moments that's so perfect in a series focused on progression and change. Plus, I just love Buffy's attitude/stance/determination, just everything, as she faces off with The Judge and in response to being told no weapon forged can kill him, delivers the line "That was then, this is now", before blowing him to smithereens. It's just perfect.

Negative - There's not much to dislike really, I do find Dru's gleeful understanding of what Angel wants to do in torturing Buffy "You want to hurt her. Just like you hurt me." somewhat contradictory to the scene in WML pt2 when she was torturing him and angry about how he'd attacked her/her family (but I can accept that she is broken and probably has very mixed responses in her dynamic with Angel souled/unsouled). Oh, and really this is a negative over this/the previous episode, but the sheer idiocy of calling forth The Judge if he is going to burn up all their food supply.

Comment

Originally posted by Sosa lola View Post
                              Day 12 - Bag Eggs

Negative - I hate the retcon about Joyce even more watching the scene Buffy tells her about "saving the world from vampires." See, without the retcon, Joyce's headshake and "I swear, sometimes I don't know what goes on in your head" is to be expected and normal, but with the retcon about the asylum in mind, Joyce comes off really elf with less vocabulary
                              Personally, I’ve always believed that Buffy’s time in the Asylum did not really occur and that it was a monk inserted memory. I believe there’s a non-canon comic where we learn that the whole thing happened because Dawn went snooping in Buffy’s diary and then bought it to Joyce and Hank. Obviously Canon May contradict this at some point (or already has? I haven’t read seasons 10-11), but until then I choose to adopt it as head canon as it explains scenes like this, The Witch or Becoming where Joyce really should have mentioned the Asylum if it occurred in the original timeline.
                              Livejournal

Avatar made by Shameless666 of Livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by Bittersweettwit View Post
                                Personally, I’ve always believed that Buffy’s time in the Asylum did not really occur and that it was a monk inserted memory. I believe there’s a non-canon comic where we learn that the whole thing happened because Dawn went snooping in Buffy’s diary and then bought it to Joyce and Hank. Obviously Canon May contradict this at some point (or already has? I haven’t read seasons 10-11), but until then I choose to adopt it as head canon as it explains scenes like this, The Witch or Becoming where Joyce really should have mentioned the Asylum if it occurred in the original timeline.
                                I also choose to believe it never happened. Either it was because of Dawn inserted memories or because of the poison in Normal Again that made Buffy believe it was what happened since she was hallucinating some false memories and believing they were true.
                                Made by Trickyboxes

Comment

Working...
                                X