Positives and Negatives - S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 3 - School Hard

Positives: So many things - But I'll especially point out Spike's and Drusilla's introduction scenes. Most of Spike's scenes work beautifully in this episode. And of course, his murder of the Annoying One at the end of the episode.

Negatives: Spike runs away from Joyce just because she has an ax?! Really?

Also, a joke (in a Cordelia line) about women being irrational during their periods -
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Day 3 - School Hard

Positive - One of my favourites of the season, what a shock. So many things to choose from and I love the intro and dusting Collin. One of my favourite aspects of the intro is how much the similarities between Buffy and Spike are there from the start. Their rebellious attitudes to authority, both while not incapable of planning (and getting a look at Buffy before facing her was strategically a good choice) but both lean to action more and how they're protective of those they care about. It all adds into why they are compelling when facing each other from the get-go.

Negative - As TTB has already mentioned the unlikelihood of Spike running away from Joyce, I'm going to go for the obvious stunt double for Spike in the fight scene with Buffy. I think the stunt doubles were more obvious in the earlier seasons, but although Buffy's stunt double can generally be picked out during the show it's generally less jarring than when Spike's doubles are used. I assume it's because of the bad bleached wigs or them not being great physical matches maybe, I don't know, but it spoils the fight scenes a bit sometimes and this was one of those.

Comment

School Hard

Positive: So Spike has the best introduction in the history. Go ahead, try to improve that scene, find a way to make it more awesome. You can't, you just can't, OK? It's perfect. Destruction, cigarettes, metal - it has everything. Damn. I kinda miss that Spike, you know?

Negative: "The last Slayer I killed...she begged for her life." No, she did not, you absolute blowhard!

Comment

"When She Was Bad"

Positive: The layers that this episode adds to Buffy's character. WSWB explores the flaws in her character and she's a hundred times more interesting as a result. The episode also does a great job in setting up the character dynamics of Seasons 6 and 7. It's the duality and contrast in these characters that makes them so interesting to me. I love the fact that one can watch Buffy in "Prophecy Girl" and say: "Wow, what a hero!" and then watch this episode right after and say: "Wow, what a bitch!"

Also loved Cordelia telling her to get her shit together outside The Bronze. My favorite Cordelia moment EVER. Her lines were classic: "Embrace the pain, spank your inner moppet, whatever. But get over it, cause pretty soon you're not even gonna have the loser friends you've got now." I just love that this is how she sounds when she's trying to be nice to Buffy. Honestly, no one is better at telling the people around them to get it together than Cordelia Chase. I wish she could have been around to do the same in Seasons 6 and 7 when all of the characters needed moppet-spanking the most. Spike and Anya were great at this in Seasons 4 and 5, but the two of them became just as confused and unsure of themselves as the Scoobies to help anyone by S6-S7. And sadly, Dawn was too underutilized by the writers to serve this purpose.

Negative: The vampires are still boring and uncharismatic. But luckily that's about to change...

"Some Assembly Required"

Positive: The idea of the episode is actually really interesting. The concept of boys stealing dead girls' body parts to build the perfect woman is genuinely horrifying and a great commentary on how objectified women often are. The writers would execute this kind of stuff much better in Season 6 with Andrew, Warren, and Jonathan. The abrupt scene ending when Eric cuts off Cordelia's head while singing My Girl is also really cool.

Negative: Even though I feel like they paved the way for the Trio in Season 6, the scenes with Chris, Daryl and Eric feel like scenes from a completely different show. All of the witty dialogue, funny line deliveries, and neat character interactions just completely disappear when they're on-screen.

"School Hard"

Positive: Spike and Dru! Literally every scene with them is perfect. Drusilla is a really hard character for the audience to connect with and Juliet Landau makes up for that by making her as fascinating and mesmerizing as possible. Her insane babble never comes off as silly to me because no matter what Dru says, it always feels like there's an underlying logic behind it, even if it only makes sense to her. And I like how in this episode, Spike is something that he's never really allowed to be afterwards: scary. When Joyce hits him with the ax, it's like she knocks all the badass right out of him. I really wish Spike had been allowed to be as badass as he was here for a longer period of time.

Negative: Yeah, I agree that Spike gives up way too easily.

Comment

Some Assembly Required:
            Positives: Eric nailed it in my opinion. He was genuinely creepy and into it. Very solid one off villain. And Xander saves Cordelia, so yay for foreshadowing.

Negatives: We’re supposed to feel bad for a Chris and Daryl, or if we’re not at least they should have just accepted that they were doing an awful thing not felt all regretty about it.

School Hard
            Positives: Every line by Spike or Drusilla, Spike killing the annoying one, Joyce standing up for Buffy, Snyder’s weaselness, Giles looking out for Buffy and supporting her, and all of the glorious tension between Angel and Xander.

Negatives: Not a whole lot, but the Annoying One was in the episode so points get retracted there for sure.
            Hello cutie

Comment

Day 4 - Inca Mummy Girl

Positives: Xander is sweet and kind and funny and brave.

Negatvies: Xander is sexist, mean and vaguely racist.

This episode has a lot of problems and I think Xander is written to encapsulate them all
              Last edited by Priceless; 24-01-18, 01:26 PM.

Comment

"Some Assembly Required"

Positive: Giles/Jenny! Also, Xander and Willow ruining their date. Also Xander and Buffy walking in on Giles opracticing to ask Jenny out. "People want the dream. What they can't have. The more unattainable, the more attractive." This line is so true to so many people, including our main characters.

Xander saving Cordelia's life. Xander shutting Cordelia up in favor to talking with Willow, even though Cordelia was thanking him. Cordelia deserves it, though.

Negative: Chris, Daryl and Eric were boring.

"School Hard"

Positive: Spike and Drusilla. Spike's entrance is the best of all the cast. There's so much to love about this episode. The pairing of Willow/Cordelia, discovering that Buffy was on her period, badass Joyce, and of course the one and only SAX scene in the show. The yummy Spike/Xander/Angel sandwich. That scene launched so many Spander fics it's just crazy.

Negative: I didn't like that they changed Spike's sire. Also, Angel letting Spike bite Xander...

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                Day 4 - Inca Mummy Girl

Positives: Xander is sweet and kind and funny and brave.

Negatvies: Xander is sexist, mean and vaguely racist.

This episode has a lot of problems and I think Xander is written to encapsulate them
                You summed up why Xander is my favorite character.
                Made by Trickyboxes
                Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

You summed up why Xander is my favorite character.
                  Lol, it's probably why you can see Xander and Spike together, because they both have issues Whenever I say anything mean about Xander I always think 'I know Sosa lola will stick up for him', and that makes me feel better. I love that you love Xander

Comment

Inca Mummy Girl

Positive: It's a little thing but I love it dearly. Willow's at the dance, in her Eskimo costume, with her harpoon and there's this Eiffel tower made from cheese pieces. Willow touches it in her, big, fur gloves, most likely trying to grab a piece of cheese, and you can see the childlike terror on her face as the cheese tower topples over. It's so funny and it's so Willow! It's those little seemingly pointless scenes that make Buffy characters so awesome!

Negative: Stop overidentifying Buffy! You're not an Inca princess. You're not a life sucking mummy either. The situations are nothing alike. Just stop. Buffy does that a lot by the way and most of the time it's just as ridiculous.

Comment

It's comical how everyone is refusing to just give only one positive and one negative.

EDIT: except I've just seen that ATOE just did, so brownie points to you!!

Day 4 - Inca Mummy Girl

Positive - This is probably the weakest episode of the season for me, definitely bottom of the pile. But is has some good things of course, as all BtVS episodes do. There are a couple of starts here that I appreciate. The start of Oz/Willow I love and it's Jonathan's first episode and I really enjoy how he crops up through the series and we get a wider arc for him although he is just a background character for so long. (see I snuck in two by labelling them as one thing, ha!).

Negative - I'm going to keep it to the one and go for Devon air kissing Cordelia. You're supposed to be a cool lead singer, what the heck are you doing?!

Comment

Lol, it's probably why you can see Xander and Spike together, because they both have issues
                        When written well, Spander is incredibly complex and interesting due to the extremely flawed protagonists. Though honestly I like Spander together because it was my first fanfic ever.

Whenever I say anything mean about Xander I always think 'I know Sosa lola will stick up for him', and that makes me feel better. I love that you love Xander
                        It's our dance.
                        Made by Trickyboxes

Comment

Day 4 - Inca Mummy Girl

Positive - The Oz and Johnathan introductions, Willow in Eskimo costume, Xander and Ampata looking so lovely while dancing, oh and the Twinkie scene, a very important detail because Xander + Twinkie = so many Spander sex scenes in a lot of Spander fics - let's just say Xander's love for Twinkies is one of the pillars to ancient Spander fics, Xander sacrificing his life for Willow, Willow's sweet supportive hand on Xander's shoulder after Ampata's death, and last but not least this very beautiful scene:

Xander's heroism is finally acknowledged! So much love! Also, these little smiles of love and admiration on both sides:

Edit: Sorry forgot to mention that the gifs were made by starryeyesxx.

Negative I didn't like when Willow and Buffy thought it was amusing that Xander used to get beaten up everyday for five years. ‘Cause you know, Xander is a boy, therefore, he should be a strong, macho man!

Xander gets a lot of flak for being upset with Buffy because she saved him from Larry - but that’s the kind of pressure he faces everyday. He shouldn’t be saved by a girl. He shouldn’t be a virgin. He shouldn’t show weakness. He shouldn’t cry. He gets mocked and laughed at for all those reasons by boys and girls.
                          Made by Trickyboxes

Comment

Inca Mummy Girl

Positives: I rewatched this episode and I have a newfound appreciation for Ampata as a character. As far as one-off MotW characters go, she's actually fairly memorable. I do find her pretty sympathetic even if what she is doing is very wrong. I've always had a weird nostalgia for this episode because I remember taping it when I was a kid and in Australia BtVS then went on a break for several weeks (I think because of the Australian Open?) so me and my sister just watched this episode over and over and over again until a new episode aired.

The twinkie scene is cute

I love how the writers use Sven (?) to mock Cordy's own terrible grasp of the english language

Negatives: Xander's negativity towards Ampata, before even meeting him, is just annoying. He's hostile and aggressive to every new guy that enters Buffy and Willow's life and he was already being an ass about this guy before he had even met him. Had Ampata not been killed we would have no doubt been subjected to an episode of Xander being petty, rude, unwelcoming, aggressive and jealous to the poor guy. It's even more annoying because Buffy has now made it explicitly clear to Xander that she's not interested so his blatant jealousy and possessiveness is not only redundant but actually pretty embarrassing as well.

The actor who plays the body guard is terrible

I always find it weird how scared the gang are of the bodyguard and Giles suggests they leave quickly before he comes back. And how Buffy just kind of dives away from him. I guess they don't know it at this point, but he's just a regular human, it's kind of bizarre how scared of them are - especially Buffy.
                            Last edited by vampmogs; 25-01-18, 01:37 PM.
                            "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

Day 5 - Reptile Boy

Positives: I enjoy this episode. Cordelia, with her 'laugh at the appropriate intervals' is wonderful, the gang catching Giles pretend fighting in the library is funny, I love Buffy's hair and those frat guys are really creepy.

Negatives: Buffy and Angel fighting in the graveyard and Buffy delivers one of my most hated lines 'When I kiss you I want to die' . . . why are they fighting? Last we saw they were walking off hand in hand happy as anything, and now it's all high-drama. I hate Buffy talking about love and death in such a way, goaded by a man who has lived many lifetimes and should know better Also hate the scene where Willow tells Angel off for not taking Buffy on a date. It's stupid, Angel knows how to date, and he's meant to be in love with Buffy, he shouldn't need Willow shouting at him to make him realise what he wants.

Comment

Reptile Boy

Positive: Willow's rant. She starts shy and slow, gets more and more agitated and angry and then straight up tears into Giles and Angel. It's awesome! It's entertaining! Go Willow!

Negative: When you kiss me I wanna die. What does that mean? Who even talks like that? I mean, the entire scene is obnoxious but that line truly takes the cake.

Comment

Working...
                                X