No announcement yet.

Did Buffy use Spike for sex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the original question I would say, Buffy did use Spike for sex but not JUST for that (see all the good arguments others have already made). So the answer "yes" is strictly speaking true, but it's like answering "yes" to the question "Do you have two children?" when in fact you have three.

For the "I love you" in Chosen, I agree with what vampmogs said as quoted by Silver1 above. Personally I believe Buffy did love Spike, but she wasn't fully ready to come out with it yet, hence her vulnerability. Under normal circumstances she would not have told him yet; she needed more time. But she had to tell him in that moment, because he was dying and if she didn't do it right then and there, she would never have the chance. So it was kind of forced out of her prematurely.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

vampmogs
      I find SMG's acting in this scene very ambiguous
      You hit a nerve there and I am going to start a new thread.

flow
      ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
        I do admit to finding it slightly aggravating that after a whole season of Spike telling Buffy that she loves him, telling Buffy what she is, how she thinks, and how she feels, that when Buffy finally speaks for herself Spike once again tells her how she feels instead ("No you don't"). It's a minor quibble and I feel a lot of sympathy for Spike in this particular moment so it's not something I really hold against him but, man, it gets annoying having people constantly speak for her. I've always imagined that Buffy would have been emotionally scarred from that incident after finally finding the words and opening up to someone again only to have them rebuff her in that way.
        So much yes to this! For me, it's not such a minor quibble, though. Even with the best of intentions, they manage to hurt each other. He's hurt because he doesn't think she's being honest with him in his last moments. She's hurt because he is denying her truth — which took a lot of bravery for her to voice — and, in essence, mansplaining her feelings to her. Sheesh. They're so messed up. *loves it*

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
        I'm always a bit surprised when people claim that Buffy would be callous or cold-hearted to lie to Spike in his dying moments. IMO, lying to a dying man and telling him what he wants to hear in his final moments, in an attempt to make him happy, is extremely compassionate and loving? I'm not saying I think that's what she did but if she had, it would have been an act of kindness.
        I don't think it would be callous or cold-hearted for Buffy to lie in a case like this — were it a lie. I just don't think that lying to Spike is likely to comfort him, and she knows that very well. We, the viewers, also know it because he's all set to argue with her about it! So, lying wouldn't be particularly compassionate or loving in this particular instance, unlike with Wes and Illyria. Spike's just ornery that way.
        Last edited by Rebcake; 06-06-18, 12:17 AM.
        Weird love is better than no love — Buffy Summers

Comment

DD, Rebcake, and everyone else who has argued in this thread that Buffy's declaration of love was sincere, and everyone who has said this and whom I have not mentioned, I apologise for not specifically name checking you. You are in my heart!!
          My feelings on this subject are, to quote Anya, changeable but intense. I never believed she just used Spike just for sex. (Do two justs cancel eachother out like a double negative??). But over years I have had trouble believing her ILY in Chosen. I think I have definitively convinced myself she did mean it, in as much as she has never cared about sparing his feelings or being kind to him. Why should she change now? Even if it is an act of compassion- as vampmogs says, it's a wonderful thing to do and demonstrates her love in another way. So she does love him and she believes it. And she's being honest about it. Probably why she looks shocked.
          By George, my twisted logic has worked for me. I can now lay my weary head down, a happy Spuffy camper.
          You know what I am. You've always known. You come to me all the same.

"There's a lot of comedy to be gotten from the world's doom spiral right now." Tracey Ullman, June 2018

Comment

Originally posted by debbicles View Post
            DD, Rebcake, and everyone else who has argued in this thread that Buffy's declaration of love was sincere, and everyone who has said this and whom I have not mentioned, I apologise for not specifically name checking you. You are in my heart!!
            My feelings on this subject are, to quote Anya, changeable but intense. I never believed she just used Spike just for sex. (Do two justs cancel eachother out like a double negative??). But over years I have had trouble believing her ILY in Chosen. I think I have definitively convinced myself she did mean it, in as much as she has never cared about sparing his feelings or being kind to him. Why should she change now? Even if it is an act of compassion- as vampmogs says, it's a wonderful thing to do and demonstrates her love in another way. So she does love him and she believes it. And she's being honest about it. Probably why she looks shocked.
            By George, my twisted logic has worked for me. I can now lay my weary head down, a happy Spuffy camper.
            Absolutely agree with this. I have never thought that Spike was just used for sex. By the way, speaking of sex , I remembered sexshop delicia online. I guess, this sex shop has even this kind of products. Great source of various products, besides. I've recently ordered some aroma candles in different interesting shapes( they were on discounts) and awesome lingerie. Hope it will be a nice sharing for you, guys!
            Last edited by Kylie81; 17-05-20, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X