Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think that Faith ever had to prostitute herself for money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think that Faith ever had to prostitute herself for money?

I was watching season 3 btvs and i saw a scene where the hotel manager asks Faith for her room payment and she flirts with him presumably because she had no money. I would assume that Faith is about 17 years old with no job, no parents and little to no money with no help from any of the scoobies (Giles and Wesley included). So do you think that Faith ever got desperate enough that she would allow someone to pay her for sex or kissing so she could have somewhere to sleep?

I'd like to know everyone's opinions
    BTW I mean no offence to Faith when I associate her with a prostitute, I think it's really tragic if that's what she really had to resort to, but I wouldn't blame her for it!

Chrissiebop5:

I was watching season 3 btvs and i saw a scene where the hotel manager asks Faith for her room payment and she flirts with him presumably because she had no money. I would assume that Faith is about 17 years old with no job, no parents and little to no money with no help from any of the scoobies (Giles and Wesley included). So do you think that Faith ever got desperate enough that she would allow someone to pay her for sex or kissing so she could have somewhere to sleep?

BTW I mean no offence to Faith when I associate her with a prostitute, I think it's really tragic if that's what she really had to resort to, but I wouldn't blame her for it!
    Welcome to Buffy Forum, Chrissiebop5!

That's a great question - I think that Faith is sadly used to being treated as an object by guys - her talk with Spike in Season Seven leaves no doubt that she's seen it all. And she's pretty cynical about sex. But I'm not sure that she'd go for prostitution - she'd more likely use a guy to sleep at his place and use his things, if you know what I mean.

I assume the scene you're talking about is from Faith, Hope and Trick:

MANAGER: Room's eighteen dollars a day, that's every day.
    FAITH: I know. I'll get it to you tomorrow, I swear.
    MANAGER: It's not like I own the place.
    FAITH: Bet you will some day.
    MANAGER: Not if I listen to broads like you.
    She's learned from a young age to use her potent sexuality to get what she wants - but she's strong enough (and morally ambiguous enough) to simply take what she wants. So I think she's flirting with the hotel manager and flattering him because she has total contempt for him - playing with others is a game to Faith. It protects her from pondering her own depressing situation - and her loneliness. And obviously, there's a lot of underlying emotional problems there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissiebop5 View Post

Well, that's an uncomfortable thought... Hmmm...

I don't think that Faith would be, like, an actual prostitute, but I definitely think that she used her sexuality to survive before she got her slayer powers.

American Aurora:

She's learned from a young age to use her potent sexuality to get what she wants - but she's strong enough (and morally ambiguous enough) to simply take what she wants. So I think she's flirting with the hotel manager and flattering him because she has total contempt for him - playing with others is a game to Faith. It protects her from pondering her own depressing situation - and her loneliness. And obviously, there's a lot of underlying emotional problems there as well.
      I don't think Faith is into mind-games... She'd manipulate people if she needed to to survive, and maybe she'd do it for revenge too, but I don't think she'd do it for fun.
      Last edited by Guy; 25-08-16, 01:48 PM.
      Come on, I'm not a dog. I'm talking through the dog. He was nearby. I am a power without name, from a realm far above your petty-- Hey! Balls!
      HAHNANUMMANUMMA-SLURP-MMNN... Ho! Wait! Wait! Whoah! I can't help it! I'm housed in this animal. It's complicated!

Comment

No i could see her proposing that idea to a guy then robbing him of what ever he had in him wallet, car keys etc. That seems more her style.

Comment

Originally posted by Izzy77
          I think that Faith is sadly used to being treated as an object by guys - her talk with Spike in Season Seven leaves no doubt that she's seen it all.
          And she see guys as sex objects herself. There are are absolutely no signs that she doesn't content with such arrangement. Some woman like casual sex, you know. Why it's always assumed that woman have no agency over her life? She likes sex, she doesn't need relations. It happens. There are nothing sad about it at all.

Comment

No canon evidence, but she had no visible sign of support and sexual experience and a "dead mother". The math is suggestive.

The fact she sexualizes everything is pretty suggestive of a CHILD who was sexualized (and likely abused) early. She views men with contempt, rage even. That is not normal tough girl behaviour. It is abuse survivor behaviour. She has been sexually used, likely by someone else's choice (sold or just abused) and then possibly from necessity.

What else would she do, assuming the council never paid her either? She was willing to sleep with the mayor (and totally expected it) until *he* turned her down. She kinda loved him for that!

This suggests she had done it before. And was grateful not to do it again.

No one lives in a motel that vile by choice. I imagine she did whatever was necessary and that is part of why she is cynical and jealous of the others.

I would be angry and probably have shaky loyalty if a bunch of rich bastards wanted to use me to save the world but did not care how i survived.

I explore the idea in one of my stories b/c i think both Faith and Buffy (and slayers in general) were grossly abused.

Faith had no one. It is a wonder she stayed as good as she did and a testament to her strength of character That she continued to do good.

Even if she wasn't forced into whoring herself out, she should never have been abandoned to that miserable motel while watchers flew by private jet, and had their own building in expensive modern London.

Even Giles treated this as normal. That sickens me.
            Last edited by DeepBlueJoy; 17-04-20, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Faith doesn't need to prostitute herself to get by, her philosophy is 'take, want, have' and she's physically strong enough to survive without resort to prostitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                Faith doesn't need to prostitute herself to get by, her philosophy is 'take, want, have' and she's physically strong enough to survive without resort to prostitution.
                Faith had been the Slayer less than 6 months when we first meet her in Faith, Hope & Trick so her physical strength was only recent. And as DeepBlueJoy says, even as a Slayer she was fully prepared to enter into a "Sugar Daddy" arrangement with The Mayor (Dopplegangland). Strength can really only get you so far unless you want to turn into a full-blown criminal who has to physically hurt people to get by and in Faith, Hope & Trick she flirts with the motel manager to get an extension on her rent as opposed to threatening him.

I agree with DeepBlueJoy that Faith has all the signs of someone who has been sexually abused. I agree that the biggest indicator is her view on men which goes far beyond your standard Willow-y "men can be such jerks sometimes" and instead is severe mistrust and contempt.
                "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

I'm with vampmogs here. I think that's part of the reason Faith relishes slayerhood so much, as it gives her (at least partially) the power to take what she wants by force, and the possibilty to not have to result to degrading exchanges to get it. I don't think she always resorts to violence, as it only takes you so far (hence the sugar daddy comment with the Mayor), but I think she does it whenever she can precisely because she couldn't before.
                  So basically yes, she probably has had to give sexual favors to survive and/or get what she wanted in the past, and it obviously deeply traumatized her, hence her lashing out at men in particular. That said, I don't think she prostituted herself strictly speaking.
                  What a challenge, honesty
                  What a struggle to learn to speak
                  Who would've thought that pretending was easier

Comment

I agree Cheese Slices. I don't imagine Faith working as an actual prostitute so much as her sleeping with guys so she had a place to crash, food, occasionally money etc. I think some of these guys would've been a lot older too.

I also believe that it's highly probable that Faith has also been violently sexually assaulted/raped. I think it's kind of implied in Consequences when she sneers at Xander about thinking "he could make something happen if she didn't want him to." It very much came across to me as her relishing in her newfound power, as you say, and I got the impression in the past she didn't have the same strength in similar situations.
                    "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* We haven't seen a scene in the TV Buffyverse or the canonical comics (I reason post-Season 9 cannot be canon) that says or even greatly suggests Faith Lehane ever prostituted herself for money.

We don't even know if she ever slept with guys for money.

We don't know if she was ever sexually abused.

* She was probably simply flirting with the Mayor when she called him "sugar daddy". She knew the Mayor saw her as a daughter. And flirting with the Mayor and flirting with the motel manager or whatever doesn't mean she must have prostituted herself in the past.

* And being "promiscuous" doesn't mean that there must be sexual abuse in the past. Faith isn't fully trusting of men. So what. The arguably 'best' men in the Buffyverse did things like leave someone at the altar, cheat with vampire whores, betray their charge, etc.

* It's a common understanding that Angel raped Drusilla Keeble before siring her. But that's not canon and it's not even effectively canon.

* Essentially, all we can reason from Faith's sex life is that she probably lost her virginity at an earlier age than Buffy, Willow, and Cordelia did.

Comment

I'd agree that Faith has probably slept with men to get what they wanted, be that money or a bed for the night, but I don't think for one moment she would have sex with anyone she didn't want to have sex with, and the extras were just an added bonus.

Comment

* We haven't seen a scene in the TV Buffyverse or the canonical comics (I reason post-Season 9 cannot be canon) that says or even greatly suggests Faith Lehane ever prostituted herself for money.

We don't even know if she ever slept with guys for money.

We don't know if she was ever sexually abused.
                          Did Faith prostitute herself? Can a child do that - prostitute themselves? Doesn't that put the onus on the victim?

Underage girls can't be prostitutes - they are sexual abuse victims. If you find grown men who are wiling to trade basic support for sex with underage girls that is child sexual abuse. Faith was 17 when she showed up in Sunnydale - and she went to prison a few years later. So the sexual abuse began before she arrived in Sunnydale - and before she was called.

Stuff like this -
                          This one guy I ran with, he liked me to dress up like a school girl and take this friggin' bull-whip, (gestures like she's using a whip) and I'd be like—

Every guy's got some whack fantasy. Scratch the surface of any granola-type dude—naughty nurses and horny cheerleaders. (shrugs) I figure, if you can't beat 'em—

These experiences happened when she was 16 or younger.

We know she had no parental guidance, no adults how loved her without strings. She had only one thing to trade for survival. She sold her body to survive on the streets - she just didn't do it for cash necessarily. At least twice she beats the crap out of someone while screaming "You can't touch me again" which indicates plenty of rage toward men who used her - quite probably before she had slayer powers and had to "pay" for protection with her body.

As for treating men as disposable, I very strongly suspect there was never a single man who used her who cared at all about her. She learned sex was devoid of emotional connection early on. Why on earth would she trust a man just because he used her to scratch an itch?

Faith grew up without a lot of luxuries. She didn't have an adult in her life to help her develop a moral compass. She learned the rule of the streets - eat or get eaten. What is right or what is wrong pales against what do I need to do to survive this. There's this idea that she should have been able to throw this off and become a suburban teenager without any trouble, which is the epitome of entitlement. Faith didn't run wild like Buffy did in "Bad Girls". Faith just ran.

* It's a common understanding that Angel raped Drusilla Keeble before siring her. But that's not canon and it's not even effectively canon.
                          So when Angel says "
                          First I made her insane. (looks at her) Killed everybody she loved. Visited every mental torture on her I could devise" it never ocurred to him to rape her or any of her sisters? Really?

Last edited by bespangeled; 21-05-20, 01:28 AM.
                          Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

Working...
                          X