No announcement yet.

Xander saving the day in "Grave" (6.22)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xander saving the day in "Grave" (6.22)

* Xander was the only one able to be there anyway. But I’m also not okay with Xander being credited with saving the world as if Giles hadn’t had already done the heavy lifting. And whether or not someone else could talk Willow down is simply speculation. I consider that after Willow got the magic from Giles that Buffy also could have talked her down.

Responses are from: http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...t=18321&page=3 posts #46-54:

Dipstick

Giles's Big Idea is to force the already homicidal, insane uber-witch with more power *and* all of the world's pain for her to feel?
    It was something like Giles gave Willow ‘good’ magic and that that magic would somehow turn DarkWillow into good Willow.

The way that Giles intended on making his plan pay off was to have Xander get through to Willow but there's no indication that Giles told Xander this.
    When did Giles say his plan was to have Xander emotionally reach her? Xander was simply the one there and the one that ran after Willow

It seems silly that we've been watching Big Bads come up with carefully thought-out plans of bringing about the apocalypse because it's a big deal to destroy the world but apparently, Willow has this buried temple complete with naked boobs (because this is what lesbians do) that she can call on in a span of like an hour.
    Well, we never had seen such a powerful witch as Willow. And the Judge was gotten together. And Acathla didn’t exactly take long.

I guess my only point is that it's a stupid, sappy, forced solution but damnit, it's *Xander's* stupid, sappy, forced moment and thus, a plus for Xander in the win column.
    Well, in-Buffyverse, it’s a good moment for Xander. But that it’s a completely forced moment is my problem with it.

Too bad that the writers had to utterly grind Willow into the mud, make Giles's plan criminally stupid, and rob Buffy of a chance to bring Willow back emotionally like Willow did to her physically at the beginning of the season and give Buffy a chance to save the world with positivity and optimism as part of Buffy's journey to give Xander this moment.
    I don’t consider that Buffy had to be the one to do that. Part of the point of Dark Willow is that Willow became more powerful than Buffy.

KingofCretins

Everybody else had already tried. Buffy, Anya, Dawn, Giles. All four of them had made separate attempts to talk Willow down. She found flaws in all of them, mostly connected to their supernatural aspects and her attitude toward them. She is depicted as very contemptuous of all of them. The first time Xander even got a chance to really talk to her was on the bluff; had he had a chance before then probably things never get that far anyway.
    You seem to be ignoring – or simply forgot about – that Giles’ magic allowed Willow to be ‘good’. The others talked to her when she was purely Dark Willow full of Dark Magic. Xander got to talk to her when she was full of good magic. Had Xander had talked to purely Dark Willow, she likely would have pointed out his relationship with Anya and how he dumped Anya at the altar. Something.

Probably the most organic plot development in the last act of that season, IMO.
    Huh? How? Season 1: Buffy’s afraid of the Master. Buffy kills the Master. Season 2: Buffy’s relationship with Angel ends with him turning evil and her sending souled Angel to hell. There’s also stuff with Spike and Dru. Season 3: Buffy’s having problems with her popularity and problems with authority in general. It ends with her getting the Class Protector Award, the school fighting with her against the Mayor, and her killing the Mayor and destroying the school. Season 4: the group grows apart and Buffy gets involved with the Initiative. It ends with the group literally coming together and the Initiative being destroyed. Season 5: was about Family. Buffy was depressed. It ends with Buffy dying saving her sister in the process. Season 6: Was about Buffy coping with being in Heaven, Buffy’s relationship with Spike, Willow’s addiction to magic and power, and that’s about it. Xander/Anya, Dawn’s abandonment issues and kleptomania, etc. were all very secondary. So, the Season ends with Willow beating Buffy, Giles coming back and giving good magic to Willow, Willow trying to destroy the world so that no one feels emotional pain, and Xander talking Willow down. How is that at all organic? Season 7 was about Buffy’s relationship with Spike, the Slayer line, Willow being scared of doing magic, and Buffy being the Best Slayer ever. It ends with the Potentials becoming Slayers, Willow becoming a ‘goddess’, and Spike destroying Sunnydale and closing the Hellmouth. I’d say the “Grave” (6.22) thing – in terms of how the Big Bad is defeated is the least organic.

TimeTravellingBunny

at least he wasn't clinically depressed.
    How was Buffy clinically depressed in “Grave” (6.22)?

PointMan

To be fair, they kind of owed Xander fans that big moment since he hadn't had anything big in a good while.
    Meaning what? Xander got to do something in pretty much very Season Finale (don’t know about S5 because Anya could have been the one to suggest using the Buffybot).

I think Giles' magic influx plan backfired in part as I never took it that Willow was trying to destroy the world until she could connect to everyone's pain and wanted it all to end...
    WILLOW: It's incredible. (panting) I mean, I am so juiced ... Giles, it's like ... no ... mortal person has ... ever had ... this much power. Ever. It's like I, I'm connected to everything ... I can feel ... it feels like ... I ... I can feel...

She pauses and her smile begins to fade.

WILLOW: ...everyone. Oh. Oh my God. All the emotion. All the pain. No, it, it's too much. It's just too much.
    GILES: (weakly) Willow ... It doesn't have to be ... like that. You ... you can stop it.

Willow is bent over now with her hands on the floor as if in pain.

WILLOW: (panting) Yeah. I, I can. I have to stop this. (getting up) I'll make it go away.
    GILES: Willow...
    WILLOW: Oh, you poor bastards!

He did however give her the good magic that would allow her to connect with what humanity she had left, that was his plan...
    ANYA: You knew she'd going to take your powers all along.
    GILES: The gift I was given by the coven was the true essence of magic. Willow's magic came from a ... place of rage and power.
    ANYA: And vengeance. Don't forget vengeance.
    GILES: Oh. How could I? In any case, the magic she took from me tapped into ... the spark of humanity she had left. Helped her to feel again. Gave Xander the opportunity to ... reach her.

But there was no indication that he had told Xander or that he would expect that someone would need to talk her down from trying to destroy the world, if anything he seemed shocked that that was her response to his magic...
    GILES: Willow ... I can see her. She took the magic I had and ... now ... I know where she is. I can feel what ... Oh, God.
    ANYA: Giles ... you have to rest.
    GILES: Silly girl. I'm dying.
    ANYA: (alarmed) No you're not.
    GILES: It was ... It was the only way. I thought we ... there'd be a chance ... now ... I know where Willow is. She's going to finish it.
    ANYA: Finish what?
    GILES: The world.

They were lucky Xander meant as much to Willow as he did and that he was able to connect to her. Giles set her up to be reachable but it was Xander who saved the day. I don't think it would have worked for anyone else because it needed that connection past all the superpowers back to Willow herself, before everything, something fundamental about her, someone who knew that the Willow who stood on the bluff wanting to fix everything once cried because she realised she couldn't mend a broken crayon, she had to feel a connection to her own helplessness again and feel loved despite it. I always felt it was immensely powerful though bloomin' fortuitous a save!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
      TimeTravellingBunny

The same way she was clinically depressed throughout season 6.
      You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

How can you claim that Grave's ending is less "organic" than Spike getting a magic amulet from evil lawyers from another show that magically shoots out sunlight and kills every vampire (who are for some reason 100x weaker than they were in previous episodes)?

Comment

Giles said that Willow could not be reached by violence. He let Willow drain him in order to open a crack in her, for someone to reach her humanity. And Buffy in season 6 is in no shape to relay all those emotions.
          So, Xander, Willow´s best friend was the one to reach out to her.
          The ending is very inspired actually: the world is saved not by use of violence, but by expressing feelings of love towards others.

Comment

I've always liked the end of Season 6, Xander hadn't done anything this heroic or right since Prophesy Girl and he really needed a moment to really stand there & be counted.

I liked the fact it wasn't super powers or death that brought about the end of the big bad - it was love, friendship and understanding.
            sigpic

Thank you Captain Oats for my Banner & Avi

Comment

Stoney

I think Giles' magic influx plan backfired in part as I never took it that Willow was trying to destroy the world until she could connect to everyone's pain and wanted it all to end...
              That’s a good point. Ultimately, her increased magical powers are important in BtVS S7, AtS s4, and at times in BtVS S9. But at the time, Dark Willow was merely trying to kill Andrew and Jonathan and she was threatening and fighting the Scoobies because they were trying to prevent her from doing this.

They were lucky Xander meant as much to Willow as he did and that he was able to connect to her. Giles set her up to be reachable but it was Xander who saved the day.
              Yeah, it seems Giles only helped save Andrew, Jonathan, and Anya but unintentionally put the entire world in danger of being destroyed.

I don't think it would have worked for anyone else because it needed that connection past all the superpowers back to Willow herself, before everything, something fundamental about her, someone who knew that the Willow who stood on the bluff wanting to fix everything once cried because she realised she couldn't mend a broken crayon, she had to feel a connection to her own helplessness again and feel loved despite it. I always felt it was immensely powerful though bloomin' fortuitous a save!!!
              I consider that Xander was possibly more likely to do that than Buffy, but that Buffy could have also stopped Willow.

TimeTravellingBunny

My quote: How was Buffy clinically depressed in “Grave” (6.22)?

The same way she was clinically depressed throughout season 6.
              That’s simply incorrect. By “Gone” (6.11), Buffy wasn’t suicidal anymore. That’s all I’ll say on that topic in this thread.

Foyboy

How can you claim that Grave's ending is less "organic" than Spike getting a magic amulet from evil lawyers from another show that magically shoots out sunlight and kills every vampire (who are for some reason 100x weaker than they were in previous episodes)?
              Well, that was only part of the episode. The Season was about Buffy’s attachment to Spike, Spike being good and not evil, Willow needed to use her magic, and Buffy being the Best Slayer Ever because she was able to have those like Angel, Willow, Spike, and the other Scoobies love her. Angel, Willow, and Spike did those things that they did in “Chosen” (7.22) because they loved Buffy.

BtVS S6 wasn’t about Willow needing to feel the world’s pain and it wasn’t about the Willow-Xander relationship.

buffyholic

Giles said that Willow could not be reached by violence. He let Willow drain him in order to open a crack in her, for someone to reach her humanity. And Buffy in season 6 is in no shape to relay all those emotions.
              So, Xander, Willow´s best friend was the one to reach out to her.
              See the ending of “Grave” (6.22) again. Buffy was in shape to relay emotions. And Xander wasn’t exactly fully emotionally stable. He was still dealing with his relationship with Anya, Buffy having been with Spike, etc.

The ending is very inspired actually: the world is saved not by use of violence, but by expressing feelings of love towards others.
              That description also applies to “The Gift” (5.22).

Comment

I consider that Xander was possibly more likely to do that than Buffy, but that Buffy could have also stopped Willow.
                The thing is Buffy tried to get through to her in the magic box and she got absolutely nowhere. They showed Giles and Buffy having the chance to talk to Willow and it didn't even touch the edges. Now obviously when when Giles' spell made her vulnerable emotionally Xander connected with her and you could argue that Giles or Buffy would have stood an equal chance then but, I think, the fact that Xander took her back to a childhood memory was indicative of how it was necessary to connect with her at a moment of childish vulnerability and he was the only one who could do that. But I can see the argument that once she was emotionally vulnerable the other two could have had a chance I suppose.

Comment

* Xander was the only one able to be there anyway. But I’m also not okay with Xander being credited with saving the world as if Giles hadn’t had already done the heavy lifting. And whether or not someone else could talk Willow down is simply speculation. I consider that after Willow got the magic from Giles that Buffy also could have talked her down.

TimeTravellingBunny

You are right about Giles part in this story. But sometimes I wonder if you really even watched the show. Well, it really differs with what I have seen. And that is the first time I said that to anyone. I don't do that easy, because everyone has there own interpretation and perhaps it has been a while ago. It is not only your attitude towards Xander that is collored. I can understand that. Though obviously I disagree. But it was shown throughout the whole of S6 that Buffy is clinically depressed. It is the whole point of S6 to explore that angle. It is the same with your comment about how Angel could have been tortured with his soul. That is why they cursed him in the first place. The gypsies didn't put a soul on Angel to make him a better man, but to make him pay. Both huge things in the show and been made very clear. In this particular case it is very simple, Xander could talk Willow out of it because they were childhood friends. It is that simple.

Comment

MikeB, it's hard enough having a discussion without you when you aren't trying to actively rewrite the episode. Giles didn't give Willow a dose of magic that allowed her to "be good", the episode doesn't say that and reason doesn't support it. His very words were that it "helped her to feel again". Feelings, one might note, are not always or exclusively good, as evidenced not least of which by the fact that Willow's first decision after being able to "feel again" is to decide to destroy the world. Before Giles dosed her, their problems were decidedly much more local.

Huh? How? Season 1: Buffy’s afraid of the Master. Buffy kills the Master. Season 2: Buffy’s relationship with Angel ends with him turning evil and her sending souled Angel to hell. There’s also stuff with Spike and Dru. Season 3: Buffy’s having problems with her popularity and problems with authority in general. It ends with her getting the Class Protector Award, the school fighting with her against the Mayor, and her killing the Mayor and destroying the school. Season 4: the group grows apart and Buffy gets involved with the Initiative. It ends with the group literally coming together and the Initiative being destroyed. Season 5: was about Family. Buffy was depressed. It ends with Buffy dying saving her sister in the process. Season 6: Was about Buffy coping with being in Heaven, Buffy’s relationship with Spike, Willow’s addiction to magic and power, and that’s about it. Xander/Anya, Dawn’s abandonment issues and kleptomania, etc. were all very secondary. So, the Season ends with Willow beating Buffy, Giles coming back and giving good magic to Willow, Willow trying to destroy the world so that no one feels emotional pain, and Xander talking Willow down. How is that at all organic? Season 7 was about Buffy’s relationship with Spike, the Slayer line, Willow being scared of doing magic, and Buffy being the Best Slayer ever. It ends with the Potentials becoming Slayers, Willow becoming a ‘goddess’, and Spike destroying Sunnydale and closing the Hellmouth. I’d say the “Grave” (6.22) thing – in terms of how the Big Bad is defeated is the least organic.
                    Just what is it that you think "organic plot development" means?
                    sigpic
                    Banner by LRae12

Comment

I’ll also add that if Xander had approached Willow before Willow was full of Good magic, Willow may have successfully killed him. Dawn was very vulnerable to Willow, but Giles was filled with power, Anya was a vengeance demon, and Buffy’s the Slayer.

Koos

You are right about Giles part in this story. But sometimes I wonder if you really even watched the show.
                      Aren’t these two sentences contradictory?

Well, it really differs with what I have seen.
                      I’d like an apology for that bolded part. Not liking Xander as much as you do doesn’t meant that my “attitude towards Xander … is collored” and that Angel argument has you seeming to confuse me with another poster.

It is not only your attitude towards Xander that is collored.
                      What do you mean by “colored”?.

But it was shown throughout the whole of S6 that Buffy is clinically depressed.
                      I never implied that she was never clinically depressed. I said something like it’s incorrect that she was just as depressed in “Grave” (6.22) as she was in the beginning BtVS S6 episodes. Little to nothing suggests that she’s clinically depressed in “Grave”.

It is the same with your comment about how Angel could have been tortured with his soul. That is why they cursed him in the first place. The gypsies didn't put a soul on Angel to make him a better man, but to make him pay.
                      Here it seems you are confusing me with some other poster. I’m the one on this Board who always points out that Angel was cursed to punish him for all eternity and I also always point out that cursed Angel and souled Spike aren’t comparable because Spike’s soul was never meant to make him suffer.

In this particular case it is very simple, Xander could talk Willow out of it because they were childhood friends. It is that simple.
                      Huh? I never said that it was unrealistic that Xander could have talked Willow out of it. I said that Buffy possibly could have done that as well but that the episode made a situation in which only Xander could be the one to save the day because he’s the only one around to do it. This is why I always say that his saving the day is forced.

KingofCretins

MikeB, it's hard enough having a discussion without you when you aren't trying to actively rewrite the episode.
                      I’ve never tried to rewrite an episode and unless you can actually point out a single example of my doing this, I’d like an apology and a retraction from you.

Giles didn't give Willow a dose of magic that allowed her to "be good", the episode doesn't say that and reason doesn't support it. His very words were that it "helped her to feel again".
                      Here’s the whole scene: So, unless Giles was lying to Anya or somehow wrong, you are absolute incorrect and Giles DID give Willow a dose of magic that allowed her to "be good".

ANYA: Oh. You mean she's-
                      GILES: No, she's alive. It, uh ... the magic she took from me, it-it did what I hoped it would do.
                      ANYA: Oh. (getting it) You dosed her.
                      GILES: Yes.
                      ANYA: You knew she'd going to take your powers all along.
                      GILES: The gift I was given by the coven was the true essence of magic. Willow's magic came from a ... place of rage and power.
                      ANYA: And vengeance. Don't forget vengeance.
                      GILES: Oh. How could I? In any case, the magic she took from me tapped into ... the spark of humanity she had left. Helped her to feel again. Gave Xander the opportunity to ... reach her.
                      ANYA: Xander?
                      GILES: Yes. It was he who got to her in time. (smiling) He saved us all.
                      http://www.buffyworld.com/buffy/tran.../122_tran.html

I guess it’s debatable whether it was Good magic that Giles gave her but “The gift I was given by the coven was the true essence of magic. Willow's magic came from a ... place of rage and power.”

Comment

I’ll also add that if Xander had approached Willow before Willow was full of Good magic, Willow may have successfully killed him.
                        Willow could have successfully killed any of the scoobies if she had a mind to. That everyone survived was due in part to plot armor. Giles intervened at the perfect moment before Willow had a chance to finish Buffy off. Willow knocked Anya out instead of killing her for no reason apparently. Buffy intervened before Willow could kill Dawn. Willow had a mini-freak out after she drained Giles and ran off to end the world instead of finishing Giles off properly. If Willow had a mind to, she could have killed any of the scoobies when she was at the peak of her power. They all got a lucky save for some reason or another, so I don't see why you're so critical of Xander here.

Dawn was very vulnerable to Willow, but Giles was filled with power, Anya was a vengeance demon, and Buffy’s the Slayer.
                        Being a Slayer, Vengance demon or having borrowed magic powers didn't allow them to survive Willow's onslaught. Willow had Anya knocked out, vengance demon or not. She certainly had the opportunity to kill her but chose not to. Buffy was knocked out and could have been finished off if Giles hadn't stepped in. Giles was knocked out when Willlow ran off to the temple of Proserpexa. Fate and plot armor intervined. Buffy got lucky that Giles had such great timing. Anya and Giles survived because Willow was too lazy or preoccupied to kill them or didn't want to for whatever reason. It had nothing to do with Xander being a puny human instead of a Slayer/demon/watcher.

Huh? I never said that it was unrealistic that Xander could have talked Willow out of it. I said that Buffy possibly could have done that as well but that the episode made a situation in which only Xander could be the one to save the day because he’s the only one around to do it. This is why I always say that his saving the day is forced.
                        Mike, how would you define a "forced" situation? Do you think Spike wearing the amulet in Chosen to be forced? Do you think it was a forced situation that Olaf's hammer got upgraded to god status out of nowhere and suddenly became important? I can think of plenty of examples where the writing was more clumsy than Xander talking down Willow on kingman's bluff.

I’d like an apology for that bolded part. Not liking Xander as much as you do doesn’t meant that my “attitude towards Xander … is collored” and that Angel argument has you seeming to confuse me with another poster.
                        KingofCretins

I’ve never tried to rewrite an episode and unless you can actually point out a single example of my doing this, I’d like an apology and a retraction from you.
                        I don't know who you think you are demanding apologies and retractions from people in a thread. If you have a problem with something that's said, or you think you're being treated unfairly, report the post to a moderator and let them handle it. It's not your place to demand apologies from people.

Especially when both Koos and KingofCretins both have very valid points. It is often difficult to have a discussion with you because you do rewrite episodes and events to suit your favorite characters. I would say that most of this community has noticed this. I'm not trying to be nasty here, but this is why people sometimes get frustrated in discussions and I find it ridiculous that you would demand apologies from people when their (often more balanced and fair) interpretations of what happened in the show don't match your own.

Comment

MikeB, Buffy was better by the end of season six but she still had ways to go, and she still had stuff to figure out. It was like Willow was saying to her in "Two to Go":

Willow: Oh, please! This is your pitch? Buffy, you hate it here as much as I do. I'm just more honest about it.
                          Buffy: That's not true.
                          Willow: You're trying to sell me on the world. The one where you lie to your friends when you're not trying to kill them? And you screw a vampire just to feel? And insane asylums are the comfy alternative? This world? Buffy, it's me. I know you were happier when you were in the ground. The only time you were ever at peace in your whole life is when you were dead. Until Willow brought you back.

She was in no shape or form to relay feelings of love to Willow. Xander had to be the one. And it was perfect for him too, since he was feeling impotent and useless in the last couple of episodes.

Comment

Your theory that Spike cast a spell in Becoming to make Acathla swallow just the mansion where Angel was isn't rewriting?

I’d say the “Grave” (6.22) thing – in terms of how the Big Bad is defeated is the least organic.
                            So Angel bringing an amulet provided by the Big Bad of another TV show that has never been even mentioned on BTVS is for you an organic development but Xander managing to stop Willow by appealing to their life-long friendship is not?
                            Xander: "Willow, you are the best human ever! I adore you! Well, that's the cookies talking, but you rock!"

Comment

Koos

Aren’t these two sentences contradictory?
                              No, they aren't.

Which bold part?

What do you mean by “colored”?.
                              That you hate Xander.

I never implied that she was never clinically depressed. I said something like it’s incorrect that she was just as depressed in “Grave” (6.22) as she was in the beginning BtVS S6 episodes. Little to nothing suggests that she’s clinically depressed in “Grave”.
                              It's a whole season long. Not just one episode. From the moment she was brought back from the dead. It isn't something that just go away and it isn't gone by the time Grave aired.

Here it seems you are confusing me with some other poster. I’m the one on this Board who always points out that Angel was cursed to punish him for all eternity and I also always point out that cursed Angel and souled Spike aren’t comparable because Spike’s soul was never meant to make him suffer.
                              Your post at almost the bottom of page: (at the bottom of the second post of yours from below the page)
                              http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...t=18482&page=5

I wrote: And what about Buffy and Willow's take on this? They knowingly were willing to torture Angel by having him being cursed again in the frist place.

You wrote: Huh? How were they torturing Angel by re-cursing him?

Xander could talk Willow out of it because they are childhood friends. It was the point of the scene, the way it was set up. Buffy isn't a childhood friend of Willow, hence she couldn't talk her out of it.
                              Last edited by Koos; 03-08-12, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X