Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a cultural thing. The youth of America indulge themselves in wild out-of-control drinking that frequently involves cars and death and maiming. Ergo our laws. One could argue (as I did when I was underage) that it'd be better to have alcohol woven into one's life so that the forbidden fruit aspect didn't induce decadent behavior. But the party culture in America just seems pretty deeply ingrained and I don't think lowering the drinking age would give young Americans a more responsible attitude towards alcohol.
    sigpic
    "I don't want to be this good-looking and athletic. We all have crosses to bear." Banner Credit: Vampmogs

Comment

• General rule -- in the US if not the entire world -- Hot Chicks Don't Get Carded. If anything was unrealistic in "Buffy" about this, it was Anya getting carded in "Dopplegangland", but that's okay because it just made a funny joke.
      sigpic
      Banner by LRae12

Comment

• Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
        General rule -- in the US if not the entire world -- Hot Chicks Don't Get Carded. If anything was unrealistic in "Buffy" about this, it was Anya getting carded in "Dopplegangland", but that's okay because it just made a funny joke.
        Plus, the barman could've been in a bad mood. (And yes, much is justified by the funny)

In the UK, I think they're getting stricter. Not sure about Scotland though, so... I'm guessing if the locals don't notice hundreds of foreign girls with superpowers in the area, they're not going to care about underage drinking. Well, the locals are probably just sheep and a few pheasant.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfie Gilmore View Post
          Plus, the barman could've been in a bad mood. (And yes, much is justified by the funny)

In the UK, I think they're getting stricter. Not sure about Scotland though, so... I'm guessing if the locals don't notice hundreds of foreign girls with superpowers in the area, they're not going to care about underage drinking. Well, the locals are probably just sheep and a few pheasant.
          Well, they were technically drinking in their home (the Castle), so it's not really illegal, even if Dawn was underage... this is shameful because I live in the UK, but I'm pretty sure you can drink a certain amount at about 14+ in your home.
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
            General rule -- in the US if not the entire world -- Hot Chicks Don't Get Carded. If anything was unrealistic in "Buffy" about this, it was Anya getting carded in "Dopplegangland", but that's okay because it just made a funny joke.

Speaking as someone who once worked in a position where the police can and did STING several operations who practiced the above, I would say that general rule is false.

Poorly run establishments (and since this is Sunnydale, natch) do not card. Those that want to stay in business, DO card.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
              Well, they were technically drinking in their home (the Castle), so it's not really illegal, even if Dawn was underage... this is shameful because I live in the UK, but I'm pretty sure you can drink a certain amount at about 14+ in your home.
              True, true, they are at home, so...doesn't matter what the pub laws are.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

• Originally posted by stormwreath
                I think I'm right in saying that in the US it's completely illegal for someone to drink alcohol if they're under 21, no matter what the situation?
                Originally posted by vampmogs
                I never got US television when it comes to this. For instance, Buffy is only 18 during Beer Bad but she's drinking at the Unibar? Buffy is also drinking alcohol at the Bronze during s5 when Dawn makes the joke 'only losers drink alcohol' and everybody puts their cup down. So what gives? I see this on US television all the time where characters under 21 are drinking at college ect. If it was in their dorm room or something I could understand but if the legal age is 21 in the US then why does TV pretty much always fail to reflect this?
                yes, legal drinking age in the US is 21 in all states. but there are many places that ignore this, especially small towns, which sunnydale was.

in my hometown (hazard, kentucky), the students were having some kind of camp out on the lawn in front of the school. the principal got in trouble because the kids were drinking, and the mayor got angry at the police chief, saying "they're just kids having fun, they weren't causing any trouble."

so its really more of a local culture thing. there isn't much you can do if the town mayor is ignoring it and reprimanding the law enforcement for enforcing it. so i don't really think its that tv is failing to reflect the drinking age so much as they are showing how it is ignored alot. especially in college.
                Oz: Sometimes when I'm sitting in class... You know, I'm not thinking about class, 'cause that would never happen. I think about kissing you. And it's like everything stops. It's like, it's like freeze frame. Willow kissage.

Comment

• Okay. I want to go a little OT here and ask a question regarding transcripts: are they still being written? I've mentioned it to King of Cretins before and haven't gotten a reply. So far They're written to 8.22 (Swell) and I've read that far, but now i really want to know what's going to happen next. I've rooted around on google and i'm directed back here. Does anybody know, is King still writing them or is there another obscure site writing them too? Any chance someone could let me know? I'm dying to find out what happens! Thanks

Also, i'm aware riley plays a part in being an accomplice of twilight's, but WTH?? *Confused look* I can understand one motive- the whole guys should be the hero, not girls thing, but where is Sam? We apparently see Riley but people have yet to mention sam. Was it explained? Did she die or something? Just wondering. Help me out here?
                  Last edited by CliCliR; 22-09-09, 06:38 PM. Reason: Additional question
                  What if I wanted to break?
                  Avatar by the amazing Buffylover
                  [COLOR="Navy"] This is who I really am
                  Member of the Buffyforums Welcoming Committee

Comment

• Originally posted by CliCliR View Post
                    Also, i'm aware riley plays a part in being an accomplice of twilight's, but WTH?? *Confused look* I can understand one motive- the whole guys should be the hero, not girls thing, but where is Sam? We apparently see Riley but people have yet to mention sam. Was it explained? Did she die or something? Just wondering. Help me out here?
                    It hasn't been explained yet We know that Buffy met Riley in New York and then later in the arc it was revealed he was working for Twilight. In Issue #27 people have interpreted his behaviour very differently. Some think he's secretly against Twilight because he seemed to try and prevent them from finding the slayers and others think he was just being extra efficient and does want to kill them.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

• yeah i'm really hoping this whole thing with riley is like a spy thing for buffy or something. it just seems so out of character for him, imo. i'm really intrigued about what they talked about in nyc. joss is being very secretive about it, so i can't help but think this was all part of a plan between buffy and riley.

Originally posted by CliClir
                      I can understand one motive- the whole guys should be the hero, not girls thing, but where is Sam?
                      why do so many people think that riley has a thing against strong women? i never saw this at all, yet so many people think that. he not only dated buffy, he married a strong woman! if riley turned out to be truly working with twilight and not buffy, then i would think this has everything to do with magic, not slayers or strong women. quite possibly something happened to sam?
                      Oz: Sometimes when I'm sitting in class... You know, I'm not thinking about class, 'cause that would never happen. I think about kissing you. And it's like everything stops. It's like, it's like freeze frame. Willow kissage.

Comment

• Originally posted by oneslikeme View Post
                        why do so many people think that riley has a thing against strong women? i never saw this at all, yet so many people think that. he not only dated buffy, he married a strong woman! if riley turned out to be truly working with twilight and not buffy, then i would think this has everything to do with magic, not slayers or strong women. quite possibly something happened to sam?
                        Don't get me wrong, He's one of my favourite characters in the verse. Probably because so many people really seem to hate him. I can't understand why. Anyway.... I think the whole "double agent" theory would be more fitting to him. There's more reason for us to believe that than the idea He's turned evil. He and buffy were on good terms by the end of "as you were." Did noone else find that? I really hope nothing happened to sam though - Mr and Mrs Finn did go well together. But why does everyone hate riley?
                        What if I wanted to break?
                        Avatar by the amazing Buffylover
                        [COLOR="Navy"] This is who I really am
                        Member of the Buffyforums Welcoming Committee

Comment

• Originally posted by oneslikeme View Post
                          A LOT of people -- largely women but not exclusively -- hold on to the spurious notion that because Buffy is supposed to be operating from a feminist viewpoint, it is a betrayal of that feminist viewpoint if Buffy is involved with, or even just attracted to, somebody who isn't at least as supernaturally powerful as she is, because supernatural power is viewed by so many as a direct one-to-one metaphor for empowerment and/or enlightenment, and therefore any male who is presented as a possible romantic interest who isn't supernaturally powerful (or otherwise somehow linked to the supernatural), i.e., is a "normal," male, MUST be unempowered and/or unenlightened, especially if the writers ever point out that Buffy is stronger or more powerful than they are (the assumption that the male MUST have a problem with powerful women), or if the male is ever presented as questioning, challenging, or disagreeing with Buffy (he's not questioning a particular decision, action, or stand on something that Buffy makes, says, or does, he's actually challenging her right to have any power at all).

Also, Riley was introduced at a point when a large part of the audience was convinced that the entire point of the show wasn't Buffy but the relationship between Buffy and Angel. People don't like to have their relationship preferrences challenged -- they want to assume that the relationships are safe and reliable and inviolate. And as time went on, a growing part of the audience began demanding that the point of the show was actually Buffy's relationship with Spike, or with vampires in general, and began convincing themselves that her relationships with other characters, romantic, platonic, or familial, were increasingly less and less important. I think Riley has become a symbol to many people that Buffy the Vampire Slayer is not, and never has been exclusively about her relationship with Vampire XYZ, when they so very desperately want it to be. (In other words, Buffy really ain't Twilight or The Vampire Diaries or any other book series, TV show, or movie where a romantic or sexual relationship between a human female and a sexy/attractive vampire is the all-consuming selling point of the story.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Skippcomet View Post
                            Also, Riley was introduced at a point when a large part of the audience was convinced that the entire point of the show wasn't Buffy but the relationship between Buffy and Angel. People don't like to have their relationship preferrences challenged -- they want to assume that the relationships are safe and reliable and inviolate. And as time went on, a growing part of the audience began demanding that the point of the show was actually Buffy's relationship with Spike, or with vampires in general, and began convincing themselves that her relationships with other characters, romantic, platonic, or familial, were increasingly less and less important.
                            If Bangels and Spuffies agree on something is their mutual hate for Riley. But it seems that it was also caused by the total lack of chemistry between Sarah and Mark Blucas and make you wonder if it would been the same reaction if Riley was played by Christian Kane.
                            "Gunn dies, Illyria Survives, Spike shanshus, Angel looses an arm and Xander looses an arm too, which is odd because he wasn't even there."
                            Joss Whedon at the High Stakes convention - 2004

Comment

• I thought SMG and Marc Blucas had chemistry *shrugs*

It’s a very subjective thing but I thought they were fine together on screen. It didn’t clash for me at all. In fact, the only two actors in the Buffyverse who I didn’t think had chemistry was Alyson Hannigan and Amber Benson. I know that must be an unpopular opinion given how many people love Willow/Tara but I never felt a spark between the two actors whatsoever. IMHO SMG and Eliza Dushku had far more chemistry together than they ever did.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

• I thought Blucas had better chemistry with pretty much everyone else on the show than he has with SMG. Partly because he was far too much taller than her. When they kissed, the camera always seemed to be straining to fit them both in the frame.

Comment

Working...
                                X