No announcement yet.

Fray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is not bad, but I found it to be cliche and bland. The whole comic is just a vehicle to establish Fray's very unoriginal backstory.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow from Buffy View Post
      It is not bad, but I found it to be cliche and bland. The whole comic is just a vehicle to establish Fray's very unoriginal backstory.
      I quite enjoyed it.
      Spoiler:
      I didn't see the twist, with Urkonn killing Loo, and thought that worked really well
      It was a little cliche, but I didn't find it bland. I also thought the art was petty interesting. And that all the characters were amalgamations of present-verse Buffy.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        I quite enjoyed it.
        Spoiler:
        I didn't see the twist, with Urkonn killing Loo, and thought that worked really well
        It was a little cliche, but I didn't find it bland. I also thought the art was petty interesting. And that all the characters were amalgamations of present-verse Buffy.
        The art was great, but I didn't feel we got under the skin of any of these colourful characters.

Comment

The art was great, but I didn't feel we got under the skin of any of these colourful characters.
          I thought all the family stuff told us a lot about them. Though in 8 issues I guess you can't get too deep. What bugged me was that the language in Fray was different to the language used in the Fray episodes of Season 8. Having read the S8 Fray first, I was quite surprised how 'normal' they all sounded in the Fray comic

Comment

I thought all the family stuff told us a lot about them. Though in 8 issues I guess you can't get too deep. What bugged me was that the language in Fray was different to the language used in the Fray episodes of Season 8. Having read the S8 Fray first, I was quite surprised how 'normal' they all sounded in the Fray comic
            Maybe the language was made more complicated, because we are experiencing everything from Buffy's perspective.

Comment

Maybe the language was made more complicated, because we are experiencing everything from Buffy's perspective.
              Very good point, that had not even occurred to me. From now on, that is my canon
              Last edited by Priceless; 26-03-18, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Very good point, that had not even occurred to me. From not on, that is my canon
                I'm honestly not sure. Is it happening in "real time" or is it recall (as Spike was in FfL) or retelling? If it's recall, I'd agree. If it's real time then it's direct unmediated speech - not reported speech and while there's a subjective element of POV in looking - hearing is more objective. In addition, I think Fray itself plays with phonetics (Harth isn't a word - Hearth is but they both sound the same) so there's a difference between written and spoken language.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                  I'm honestly not sure. Is it happening in "real time" or is it recall (as Spike was in FfL) or retelling? If it's recall, I'd agree. If it's real time then it's direct unmediated speech - not reported speech and while there's a subjective element of POV in looking - hearing is more objective. In addition, I think Fray itself plays with phonetics (Harth isn't a word - Hearth is but they both sound the same) so there's a difference between written and spoken language.
                  Many writers allow the main subjects perspective to inform the narration even if they are using the third person limited. In Fray, we are supposed to feel relatively at ease in this strange world. In S8, we follow Buffy to a bizarre and alien new place.

It may also be that Joss simply had more time to develop the lingo

Comment

Working...
                  X