Spike Re-Read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spike Re-Read

Having finished S8 I thought I'd read the Spike series, which I have in two hardbacks 'Alone Together Now' and 'Stranger Things'. Not sure if they are canon or not? Please feel free to join me in the re-read or comment as we go along

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Having finished S8 I thought I'd read the Spike series, which I have in two hardbacks 'Alone Together Now' and 'Stranger Things'. Not sure if they are canon or not? Please feel free to join me in the re-read or comment as we go along
    I've got the paperback "The Complete Series - Spike". It's #1-8 - starts with "Alone Together Now" and finishes on the dirigible. Is that the same one?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
      I've got the paperback "The Complete Series - Spike". It's #1-8 - starts with "Alone Together Now" and finishes on the dirigible. Is that the same one?
      Yes, it is, and at the Amazon site (and others) they should make it more clear, because in my eagerness to buy the Spike-related comics years ago, I bought the 3 volumes (Spike: The Complete Series, Spike: Alone Together Now and Spike: Stranger Things) - it was the beginning of my addiction and I didn't know much about the books.
      My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

sigpic

Comment

I've read after the fall and into the light. Is it those ones? I can see A dark place, alone together now and old times online for free. I dont see stranger things. There is also one called shadow puppets.

I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

Originally posted by betta View Post
          Yes, it is, and at the Amazon site (and others) they should make it more clear, because in my eagerness to buy the Spike-related comics years ago, I bought the 3 volumes (Spike: The Complete Series, Spike: Alone Together Now and Spike: Stranger Things) - it was the beginning of my addiction and I didn't know much about the books.
          Thanks Betta! I've just looked at Amazon and realised there's a Volume 2 of Angel - After the Fall. Since Spike's on the first page I felt honour bound to buy that.

Priceless, as my av would say "This is your fault!" (pointing finger). (and I'm still reading that damned essay on de Palma's Carrie!).

@ GoSpuffy - No - I think Shadow Puppets, A Dark Place and Old Times are from a different collection (They're in the Spike Omnibus). Depending on which site your looking at the ones Priceless is referring to are sometimes called Spike 2010 TPB.
          Last edited by TriBel; 05-02-18, 11:43 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks TriBel. They are on the free site listed as Spike 2010 TPB 1 & 2. I'd love to join in on the discussion

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
              I've read after the fall and into the light. Is it those ones? I can see A dark place, alone together now and old times online for free. I dont see stranger things. There is also one called shadow puppets.
              Publisher: IDW
              • Spike: After the Fall
              • Spike: Asylum
              • Spike: Shadow Puppets
              • Spike: The Complete Series (or Spike: Alone Together Now-Volume 1 and Spike: Stranger Things-Volume 2)

Spike: Asylum and Spike: Shadow Puppets are included in the Spike Omnibus collection:

• Old Times
              • Old Wounds
              • Lost and Found
              • Spike vs. Dracula
              • Asylum
              • Shadow Puppets

Publisher: Dark Horse

• Spike: A Dark Place

- - - Updated - - -

Dark Horse books on sale (40% OFF) only today.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks betta. I can't keep track of all the comics, and what order they're in and where they fit with Buffy's story. I also have Spike: A Dark Place, so I'll probably read that too.

Comment

Okay, I finally want to give the Comics try. But I don`t want to start with season8. For one, it is very much disliked and also, it is just a bit too much. I want to start with something shorter, preferrably with Spike in it.

But I am getting all confused. Are the titles @betta posted single issues ? Are they all the single issues of Spike comics ? Is the Omnibus a collection ? And the Complete Series ? Is there a collection of all Spike comics in one ? What is the difference between hardbacks and comics ? And most of all - where do I get them ? Ebay ? Amazon ? Somewhere else ? I want to read them in english, so there will be no use, going to a local Comics dealer here in Germany. i know, that at least the Buffy Comics have been published here in Germany and in german, but i don`t want them. oh, and I want the real thing, not just a digital download.

Can someone help me please ? Which comic is the best comic to start reading the comics ?

flow
                  ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

flow I really wish I could help you, but I'm no expert. I think the first comics were Angel After the Fall, but they aren't considered canon. I would advise you to buy your first comics from Ebay, because you don't want to spend a fortune on them especially if you don't know if you'll like them.

- - - Updated - - -

Spike Chapter 1 - Alone Together Now

I love this opening monologue. It's Spike's story in his own words and it's fun. They made movies and wrote books about his exploits. Lynch's script is great, 'The man already causing you slight drowsiness is Angel'

So Spike recruits a rag tag team and goes to Vegas to investigate strange goings on. Betta George suggests they may need Angel's help, but Spike is obviously fed up of being in Angel's shadow and is using this mission as a chance to prove himself.

Dru appears and she doesn't seem as crazy as she often does. She says Spike still has her heart, while her friend says Spike has his soul.

Nice start to the story. The art work is very stylish, but it's a change to what I'm used to in the Buffy and Angel comics and it'll take me a while before I get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
                      Okay, I finally want to give the Comics try. But I don`t want to start with season8. For one, it is very much disliked and also, it is just a bit too much. I want to start with something shorter, preferrably with Spike in it.
                      Cool!

But I am getting all confused.
                      I was too in the beginning, I even bought the same stories twice...

Are the titles @betta posted single issues ? Are they all the single issues of Spike comics?
                      No, they are collections (trade paperbacks, TPB) of the single issues released monthly, years before. The Volume 2 for BtVS S11, for instance, is being released this month (the season finished in october).

It took me some time to realize that the "comics" were monthly issues (and that happened only when #7 of S10 was released), because I had bought all my "books" from Amazon (as TPBs)...

Is the Omnibus a collection?
                      Yes. There are 7 volumes for BtVS (old comics, from when the show still aired, nothing to do with the comics we are reading now), for Angel there are 3 Omnibus, and for Spike, there is one. The publisher was IDW (now Dark Horse owns the comics).

Is there a collection of all Spike comics in one?
                      The Omnibus - which doesn't include Spike: The Complete Series.

What is the difference between hardbacks and comics ?
                      For me, comics are "magazines" released monthly, and hardbacks are "books" that collect seasons (6 volumes for Season 10, for instance).

And most of all - where do I get them ? Ebay ? Amazon ? Somewhere else ? I want to read them in english, so there will be no use, going to a local Comics dealer here in Germany. i know, that at least the Buffy Comics have been published here in Germany and in german, but i don`t want them. oh, and I want the real thing, not just a digital download.
                      I'm from Brazil, and I buy the hardbacks at Amazon (they delivery fast).

But you need to make sure if you like them, the media, the stories etc before start ordering volumes (BtVS seasons). When I discovered the comics (in 2014), I bought only Season 8-Volume 8 (the last one, Last Gleaming), because it had Spike; I had read about the season on Wikipedia, and I was confused about the whole thing. After reading it, I immediatelly ordered the other 7 volumes - and then the S9 5 volumes, and then the 5 volumes of Angel & Faith S9...

For Spike stories, I think Spike: The Complete Series is interesting; some of the elements of this book appears in BtVS S9. Then, Spike: Omnibus.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                      I can't keep track of all the comics, and what order they're in and where they fit with Buffy's story. I also have Spike: A Dark Place, so I'll probably read that too.
                      Don't worry, I've made a list!

It includes both publishers (IDW and Dark Horse): Angel: After the Fall, BtVS and Angel & Faith seasons. Some stories were published in Angel: Omnibus, others in Spike: Omnibus.
                      • Wesley: Spotlight (Angel S5 - ghost Spike - Los Angeles)
                      • Spike vs. Dracula (Angel S5 - ghost Spike - Los Angeles)
                      • Spike: Old Wounds Angel S5 (Black Dhalia - Los Angeles)
                      • Lost and Found (Angel S5 - Gem of Amarra again - Los Angeles)
                      • Old Times (Angel S5 - Halfrek – Los Angeles)
                      • Asylum (Angel S5 - Los Angeles)
                      • Auld Lang Syne (Angel S5 - Los Angeles)
                      • Shadow Puppets (Angel S5 - 4 months after Asylum - Japan)
                      • Spike: After Fall (Hell Los Angeles)
                      • After the Fall 1 (Hell Los Angeles)
                      • After the Fall 3 (Hell Los Angeles)
                      • After the Fall 4 (Hell Los Angeles)
                      • Old Friends (Los Angeles)
                      • Last Angel in Hell 6 (San Diego)
                      • Immortality for Dummies 1 (sex with vampire Felicia - Los Angeles)
                      • Spike: The Devil You Know (Los Angeles)
                      • The Crown Prince Syndrome 2 (damaged soul - Los Angeles)
                      • Spike: The Complete Series (bug spaceship - Las Vegas)
                      • Last Gleaming BtVS S8 #8 (Spike meets Buffy - Tibet/Sunnydale)
                      • Magical Mistery Tour (62 days in space/San Francisco)
                      • Freefall BtVS S9 #1 (condo party - San Francisco)
                      • On Your Own BtVS S9 #2 (pregnancy/robot Buffy - San Francisco)
                      • In Space No One Can Hear You Slay (with Buffy on the ship; beautiful sunset)
                      • A Dark Place (pining for Buffy – Spike loses the ship – Moon/Sunnydale/Easter Island)
                      • Death and Consequences Angel & Faith S9 #4 (Spike helps Faith and has sex with Harmony - London)
                      • What You Want, Not What You Need Angel &Faith S9 #5 (Spike leaves because of Dawn - London)
                      • The Core BtVS S9 #5 (Spike stays with Dawn - San Francisco)

sigpic

Comment

Spike Chapter 1 - Alone Together Now

"Las Vegas. Started evil. Stayed that way". I LOVE the clipped dialogue - laugh out loud. The first person narration, self-depreciating and sardonic but with a hint of yearning is very Philip Marlowe. I SO want him to use any of the following:

But down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid. OR Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off. OR The streets were dark with something more than night.

In fact, the front cover brings to mind Hammett's Sam Spade "“He looked, rather pleasantly, like a blonde Satan” with Will as the femme fatale.

Cockroaches! What is it with Whedon and bugs? The Scale of Evolution is to die for. Really like the Twilight "twinkly" references? Is the DVD From Dusk to Dawn?

It's all very Gothic. And Beck! And Betta George! What's the "no aerial sex" a reference to? George doesn't understand it and neither do I. Is it something from After the Fall or prempting Twilight? Aah...it's digs at Twilight

In general, I like the artwork - the Vegas streets remind me of Christopher Doyle's cinematography in Chungking Express. In fact, the whole thing is very cinematic.

Dru appears and she doesn't seem as crazy as she often does. She says Spike still has her heart, while her friend says Spike has his soul.
                        I agree - she does look saner.

All good so far!
                        sigpic

Comment

Is this comic considered canon? I get so confused which are and which aren't. I hope it is because yet again there is the statement that Spike fought for his soul. I'm really starting to wonder why people can believe anything else when its been stated over and over. But I digress, I like the opening narrative, a nice short bring you up to date with the story from Spike's point of view. Making fun of Twighlight with Twinkle was hilarious. But now I'm wondering if Twighlights name comes from that series. Why did I never connect those two in my mind before? Was Joss making fun of twighlight with Angel?

Favorite line: "find an amulet and get back to me. "

There is a line "no aerial sex" does that means this comes after BtVS S8?

This was super funny and enjoyable to read. The artist drew the characters really pretty, especially Spike, Dru and Beck. Beck really looks like Faith to me.

The kiss between Spike and Dru was nice. I didn't expect to like the reunion but how could anyone not like "at this moment I am home".

I liked Groo as comic relief. I'm not sure when he and Spike became friends. I only know him from dating Cordy on Angel.

All in all I liked the look and feel of the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                            And Betta George! What's the "no aerial sex" a reference to? George doesn't understand it and neither do I. Is it something from After the Fall or prempting Twilight? Aah...it's digs at Twilight
                            Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
                            There is a line "no aerial sex" does that means this comes after BtVS S8?
                            I real life, S8 had already happened I think, but in The Complete Series Angel is still sane, and the line is just an error...

- - - Updated - - -

Chapter 1 - Alone Together Now

We see right from the beginning that Wolfham & Hart has its influence in town.

I just LOOOVE Betta George! He's so literal... and his fish face... was he trying to make a surprised face?

Who remembers Grease?

And Beck is such a cool character. When Spike is picking her up at Mosaic, the lady in charge is worried that she is just 22 years old and Spike is... much older:

Spike: I'm on a mission, love. There are no romantic intentions here.

Lady: Problem with that last statement is you are you and I'm not stupid.

Later, we'll see that is good that Spike is Spike, and not the other Champion who confused his mission with romantic intentions concerning a girl much younger than 22.

The pile of elvises... elvisii... elvees?

Sane Dru?

- - - Updated - - -

Chapter 2 - What Happens in Vegas, Slays in Vegas

Spike & Team go to a show where Slayers are vilified - very BtVS-S8 like; I think it's too soon for the "Slayer Army" x Humanity, and Harmony's outing of the vampires, but the time line between Angel S5, Angel: After the Fall and BtVS S8 are very murky.

So, it's Wolfram & Hart that is plotting something evil; the firm had disappeared after LA came back from Hell, and now has moved to Vegas. They wanted Angel, but... Spike will do.

Spike had a friend (from Spike: After the Fall): Jeremy Johns! But he's possessed...

Beck is starting worrying about Spike a little too much...

The majestic black panther of the White Room now is now sprawled on the floor... as a rug.

John... why does he hate Spike?

And the fourth member (who is neither Angel nor Illyria) of the team arrives: Groo - and Cordelia, the dragon (from Angel: After the Fall)!

And Betta George doesn't need to be in a bowl, dude!
                            Last edited by betta; 07-02-18, 02:27 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Stranger things part one: I really like the little details in the comics, like the demons throwing kittens at the strippers on stage, very funny.

Loved the reunion between Willow and Spike in part one. I found the story funny and the interactions between the characters enjoyable.

Comment

Working...
                              X