Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buffy Issue #30 Covers and Solicitation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffy Issue #30 Covers and Solicitation.

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori...rkhorsenov.htm

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #30

Written by Jane Espenson, penciled by Georges Jeanty, inked by Andy Owens, colored by Michelle Madsen, covers by Jeanty and Adam Hughes.

"Retreat," part 5 of 5. The war between Twilight's minions and Buffy's army rages in the Tibetan mountains. Bereft of their magic, the girls‹Wiccans and Slayers‹face an epic battle in which they have no hope of victory. Buffy has already done the retreat thing once, plus also put herself and her army into hiding . . . What can she do now that there is no magic to help them escape from another losing battle?

40 pages, $2.99, in stores on Nov. 4.

Sounds interesting.

Jeanty's art is lacking, as usual. And if Joss expects us to buy a Xander/Dawn hook-up, I really wish he'd at least tell Jeanty to stop drawing her looking like a ten year old.
    The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. -- H. P. Lovecraft

Comment

Wow, love the Hughes cover. It's very expressive and pretty to see Buffy back with her first weapon.
      Not Axcalibur but with the stake, the symbol of her power as it used to be.
      I think this guy makes it ok for me to have no Chen for a bit.

The Jeanty cover is not as yummy, but it has more contents for speculation. The blue guy is Shiva I suppose? The destroyer and transformer. So we're in for some changes, i guess.

Comment

Not a huge fan of either cover, the first one is very interesting but something looks off, very off actually.

Jeanty caught Xander and Faith perfectly but the others not so much. Especially Dawn who looks indeed as a 10 years old. And is that Oz or Andrew?

Comment

I absolutely love the Hughes cover. Nina, what do you mean "off?" Storyline wise or art wise? Because I don't know how much closer to SMG you can get than that.

I love the snowfall and gold light that is glowing through Buffy and her stake. Really interested to see how this will all play out.

Who is Shiva and how does it come into play?

EDIT: And that is Oz for sure, can tell by his facial expression.
          Last edited by Nostalgia; 11-08-09, 10:46 PM.
          sigpic

-Sig by BlasterBoy-

Comment

The first thing I thought when I saw the first cover is that the artist was doing an homage to star wars, as I can picture Luke Skywalker in place of Buffy, holding a lightsaber instead of a stake. They gave her too much eyeshadow though.

If I remember my mythology Shiva is a god from hinduism who has many arms. He is a god who embodies many opposing ideas, being both a destroyer and a benefactor.

The being seems to be more of a mix between Shinva and Vishnu though because Shiva has the third eye and Vishnu is the one who is blue.

I'm not sure why they would be using his image though. Aren't the people of Tibet mainly Bhudist?
            Last edited by PointMan; 11-08-09, 10:06 PM.
            “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by PointMan View Post
              If I remember my mythology Shiva is a god from hinduism who has many arms. He is a god who embodies many opposing ideas, being both a destroyer and a benefactor.

The being seems to be more of a mix between Shinva and Vishnu though because Shiva has the third eye and Vishnu is the one who is blue.

I'm not sure why they would be using his image though. Aren't the people of Tibet mainly Bhudist?
              ah, yes, Vishnu was the blue one, but they were one at one point or another in the mythology, so maybe it's the comboversion (but I don't remember what it was called)

Hinduism doesn't have much history inTibet, so there's probably nothing to it and it's just supposed to be some asian looking demon.

Comment

The blue figure is Yama, the Buddhist judge of the dead and god of Hell. He's the deity responsible for sending sinners (ie, everybody who's not reached enlightenment) back into the Wheel of Life, and also decides whether to send them to Hell for a few billion years of punishment before allowing them to reincarnate back on Earth. He's not a nice guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgia View Post
                  I absolutely love the Hughes cover. Vampmogs, what do you mean "off?"
                  That was Nina, not me

I don't mind either cover, though I had forgot that Chen didn't draw this one and was confused because I didn't think it looked like her style

I liked what it symbolises with Buffy reaching out for her stake, that was very cool. I don't mind the scythe but I'll still always prefer the stake. I'm glad they chose to draw that instead because as Nixennacht states, it was the original symbol of the slayer.
                  "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

Originally posted by stormwreath View Post
                    The blue figure is Yama, the Buddhist judge of the dead and god of Hell. He's the deity responsible for sending sinners (ie, everybody who's not reached enlightenment) back into the Wheel of Life, and also decides whether to send them to Hell for a few billion years of punishment before allowing them to reincarnate back on Earth. He's not a nice guy.
                    Now that makes far more sense. Wonder if he's going to be just a destructive demon or if he's going to come in his buddhist function.

Comment

I did say Buffy was a stake not a sword person. Not so keen on her depiction in the Hughes cover, too dewey eyed and shiny lipped but the way her face is warmed by the stake is interesting. I think the blue, three-eyed, skull crowned entity in the Jeanty cover may be based on Mahakala, a protector deity and the wrathful aspect of a bohdisattva in Tibetan Buddhism. He seems to have been revealed by whatever event has fragmented the images of Buffy et al so whether he's there to protect them or protect Tibet from them might be a good question. Also what's in the blue jewelled bottle he's holding?

Comment

The covers are certainly inscrutable, which makes sense since this is coming off of the Twilight and/or betrayal reveal. The most disturbing symbolism? The shattering glass that reveals Yama -- the implication that the gang has been shattered. And *none* of them look safe, happy, or smug. Geographically, Xander and Dawn are isolated, as are Giles and Faith. While Oz, Willow, and Buffy are all isolated. Not sure if that's all that meaningful, but there it is.

I like the Buffy cover, and it's nice to see her with a stake -- but she's looking at it like it's a dead cat. It glows as though it's the key -- symbolic and/or literal power coursing over it. It reminds me a little of Excalibur, and a couple other more recent variants thereof. It does suggest that whatever has happened is forcing Buffy back to basics, either willingly or unwillingly.

The blurb makes me think, again, of Jesse in "The Harvest" -- it asks what Buffy and her people can do now that they've surrendered completely and Twilight still wants them dead? "I got an idea... you can die."
                        sigpic
                        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgia View Post
                          I absolutely love the Hughes cover. Nina, what do you mean "off?" Storyline wise or art wise? Because I don't know how much closer to SMG you can get than that.

I don't say it doesn't look SMG, maybe that's even the problem. The face looks so different from the hair, so much harder and photo-like while the other parts of Buffy are flowing into the snowy background and look like a complete different style. I guess it's his style but I'm not a huge fan of it.

Comment

I love the first cover. I dunno, just the way the stake glows and illuminates Buffy really just made me so much more excited for this issue. Buffy looks like she has been through hell and back in that cover and I love it. Anyone suppose that Twilight and/or betrayer is revealing themself in this "scene"?

Also, is it just me or does it seem like everyones eyes are on Giles in the second cover?
                            Love to write? Take the Fanfic Challenge!

Unapologetic Mockers: BACK WITH AN ALL NEW LAYOUT!

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
                              I don't say it doesn't look SMG, maybe that's even the problem. The face looks so different from the hair, so much harder and photo-like while the other parts of Buffy are flowing into the snowy background and look like a complete different style. I guess it's his style but I'm not a huge fan of it.
                              I agree with that... this looks like the artist took a photo of Sarah's face, pasted it into his drawing, then sketched the rest of the scene around it. Which might say good things about his technical ability, that he can draw a face that looks just like a photo (assuming he didn't literally do what I just said) but it doesn't work for me. Photorealistic art went out with the Pre-Raphaelites; these days we have actual photographs if we want them, so art needs to offer something more.

Not to mention that it's not the most flattering picture of Sarah/Buffy he could have found...

Comment

Working...
                              X