Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buffy Issue #28 Covers and Solicitation (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffy Issue #28 Covers and Solicitation (SPOILERS)

Hey

We've just got the new covers for Buffy Issue #28 (part three of the Retreat Arc) as well as the solicitation. I’ll post both Chen’s and Jeanty’s covers here;

Here’s the solicitation for the issue;

Written by Jane Espenson, penciled by Georges Jeanty, inked by Andy Owens, colored by Michelle Madsen, covers by Jeanty and Jo Chen.

"Retreat," part 3. This month revisit Team Buffy and her army of Slayers at Oz's temple in the mountains of Tibet. Among the yaks, the Slayers and Wiccan troops attempt to suppress dangerous Magicks through meditation and hard labor. Buffy embraces this new lifestyle, but not everyone is convinced that leaving Magicks behind will solve any problems: among them, a resistant Willow, a doubtful Andrew, and a concerned Giles.

For Buffy, the world has not been so peaceful . . . so honest . . . so full of feeling . . . in a long time -- too bad it's not going to stay that way!

Chen's cover is wonderful and although I love Jeanty's arc, I'm not big on his cover at all this time. The solicitation sounds really interesting (but probably isn't doing the story justice as it never really does) and I think is probably a sign that we're getting into the thick of the whole magic dilemma. In Anywhere But Here the demon tells Buffy that the end of magic is what she's always tried to achieve and we got that panel of Willow looking upset/weary of this. It seems in this issue Buffy's found a way to escape all that life and magic and Willow isn't for it, or Giles apparently. Are we getting to the root of the Buffy/Willow tension all season? Hmm...

I also enjoy the idea of Buffy trying to escape the hardships of her life. The phrase "full of feeling" is particularly interesting. Does this mean Buffy's finally feeling connected?

Vamps
    Last edited by vampmogs; 05-06-09, 09:13 AM.
    "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Does anyone else find it odd that Xander and Dawn aren't mentioned anywhere? Not odd in a 'oh my god they are ignoring them yet again' but more odd in a 'It's just too fishy that their names aren't mentioned and neither of them appear on the cover' kind of way. Of course if that Brunette on the cover is Dawn then she doesn't factor into this, but she looks more Like Faith to me.

It tracks with what I think is going to happen, but I'm not sure yet just what it all means.

Anyone else care to provide speculation? Could it be that Xander and perhaps Dawn aren't too keen on the whole lay low approach and have stuck out on their own? Or perhaps Buffy banished them when she learned of certain indiscretions?

For the record I don't think D/X is going to happen but its as legitimate spec as anything else at this point.

My own personal spec, or at least one version of it, is that Xander and perhaps Dawn are in a unique position. Buffy, Willlow, the slayers and the wiccas all have to stay put and concentrate on supressing their magic so they can't be located. Xander and perhaps even Dawn(though her key status makes her a bit iffy) being non-magical can travel freely without the risk of detection. It's possible that they are Buffy and CO's eyes and ears while they are in hiding?

Or I could be completely off my rocker. As I said, its only one way I think things could go, not sure how likley I consider it.
    Last edited by PointMan; 05-06-09, 09:53 AM.
    “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Nice covers. Especially, of course, the one from Chen.

Originally posted by PointMan View Post
      Does anyone else find it odd that Xander and Dawn aren't mentioned anywhere? Not odd in a 'oh my god they are ignoring them yet again' but more odd in a 'It's just too fishy that their names aren't mentioned and neither of them appear on the cover' kind of way.
      It appears to be a Buffy/Willow issue (though covers doesn't necessarily say anything about the issue). It looks Buffy/Willow are meditating, probably to some kind of higher plane of existence. Or they are seeking for some level of pureness, enlightment, by both gardening and meditating. I think it's too early to say something about Xander's and Dawn's path to darkness.

Comment

You're not the only one to notice it for sure On the covers of Issue #27 we have Xander/Dawn by themselves sitting on the sub. On the cover for Issue #25 we have Buffy, Willow, Oz and Andrew on the cover, all who are mentioned (excluding Giles) in the solicitation for this issue. So that kind of indicates that either Dawn/Xander aren't in Tibet with the others (though it looks as if they are and that Willow teleported the sub to Tibet) or they're on another mission.. perhaps watching over the sub.

The alone time is interesting and could be absolutely nothing, but we should be expecting a hook-up very soon so... I'm thinking Dawn/Xander will happen.

I wonder what Faith will be doing in the middle of all this? If Giles is with Buffy and Willow I’d assume Faith tagged along with him?
        "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
          You're not the only one to notice it for sure On the covers of Issue #27 we have Xander/Dawn by themselves sitting on the sub. On the cover for Issue #25 we have Buffy, Willow, Oz and Andrew on the cover, all who are mentioned (excluding Giles) in the solicitation for this issue. So that kind of indicates that either Dawn/Xander aren't in Tibet with the others (though it looks as if they are and that Willow teleported the sub to Tibet) or they're on another mission.. perhaps watching over the sub.

The alone time is interesting and could be absolutely nothing, but we should be expecting a hook-up very soon so... I'm thinking Dawn/Xander will happen.

I wonder what Faith will be doing in the middle of all this? If Giles is with Buffy and Willow I’d assume Faith tagged along with him?

See I just don't think D/X is going to happen, because there is no real emotional payoff, especially with it being a one-night-stand. Neither Xander nor Dawn are emotionally screwed up enough that a hookup between them would be a one time thing. I still think we're going to see a B/X hookup, ostensibly as a one time thing.
          “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Giles is with them! Aw, like the old times, I'm so happy. That was an amazing cover by Chen, so lovely, and so nice to see Willow wearing pants again

This arc sounds so deep and interesting, I can't wait.
            Made by Trickyboxes
            Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Another truly beautiful and confident artwork from Chen. The least said about Jeanty's offering the better, sadly.

Comment

Yeah, this is probably my least favorite Jeanty cover of the entire series so far. But Chen knocked it out of the park again.
                "Occasionally, I'm callous and strange..." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Comment

Oddly enough, I really like Jeanty's cover this time. Sure, its not a work of art like Chen's, but I love the windswept feel of it, the expression on Buffy's face as she tills the earth with her own hands, the whole exotic atmosphere.

Comment

I like the concept and layout okay, it's just the execution that seems... off, somehow. Might be the facial expressions.
                    "Occasionally, I'm callous and strange..." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Comment

Originally posted by Rowan Hawthorn View Post
                      I like the concept and layout okay, it's just the execution that seems... off, somehow. Might be the facial expressions.
                      That and If you look at the size of Willows head you can see it's miles too big for her body. Jeanty always seems to love drawing his characters with these 'lollipop' heads.

Also as others have said Chen's covers aren't just painted well, and have superb likenesses, but they're always dynamic and have real emotion behind them. I know arts about personal taste, but I always find Jeanty's covers poorly rendered and quite childish looking in comparison.

Comment

The Chen cover is amazing, especially her Willow is fantastic this time.

Comment

Originally posted by sueworld View Post
                          That and If you look at the size of Willows head you can see it's miles too big for her body.
                          Yeah, and Buffy's legs are too short for hers. But I don't think that's what bothers me about it as much as this:

Originally posted by sueworld View Post
                          Also as others have said Chen's covers aren't just painted well, and have superb likenesses, but they're always dynamic and have real emotion behind them. I know arts about personal taste, but I always find Jeanty's covers poorly rendered and quite childish looking in comparison.
                          I think this is it. The characters are just... there. There's a sameness of expression that doesn't really show anything in the way of the characters' personalities. With Chen's covers, I always feel like the characters are actually alive and feeling something. I like Jeanty's interior work okay, but the covers do mostly have something missing for me.

Comment

I wonder if this is the start of Buffy maybe thinking a world without magick wouldn't be that bad. Could also be the start of a possible rift with Willow and Buffy over magicks and the uses of them.

Comment

Chen? YAY! Jeanty? EWWWW... Now I realize that might be a bit too harsh but to me every time Chen just brings the whole world of Buffy back to life with her art, as if it was still going on. But jeanty, although he's good, this cover just looks weird IMO. For some reason all the characters look either off or just there. And for another thing, although Jeanty's art matches Buffy relaxing and being all earthly meditative type from the description, It just doesn't feel like the show. I know what I'm about to say is an exaggeration, but the cover might has well have been Buffy sitting with a bunch of fat grandkids on her lap with tears in her eyes. It just doesn't feel right. Anywho, thats how I feel. But i LOVE chen's cover - as always.

Originally posted by dinamo View Post
                              I wonder if this is the start of Buffy maybe thinking a world without magick wouldn't be that bad. Could also be the start of a possible rift with Willow and Buffy over magicks and the uses of them.
                              It almost seems like that doesn't it? But then again, I think she should show a bit more respect to it seeing as it's allowed her to conquer tons of demons, and plus, bring her back too life, restore Angel's soul and so forth. Hopefully she should think about that b4 saying that magic shouldn't be around after it's helped her so much. If it were to eventually happen or Buffy to think a world with no magic was good, personally I feel that Willow and her's relationship would be over. In Willow's mind it has always partially been (probably always will be her Vs. Buffy). Just my thoughts though.

Comment

Working...
                              X