Time of Your Life Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time of Your Life Question

Not that anyone can really answer this BUT, will we get answers to some of the things brought up in that arc? I was just rereading it and there are a few things that I hope are revisited.

1. While Buffy's reading the Watcher's diaries she says, "A few sketchy references taht might be me, or my friends... Some encouraging, some dire... At least one that is too ridiculous to comprehend." I'm referring mainly to the "Too ridiculous to comprehend" was that just thrown in to make us wonder or will we get an answer to what she read?

2. What exactly did DFW show Fray to get her to turn against Buffy? Fray tells Erin that Buffy will end the world...

3. Last but not least, why did DFW bring Buffy to the future only to have Buffy kill her??

There has to be more to that whole arc, right? I feel like any information given pertaining to this arc could make the arc soo much better. Just like Wolves at the Gate made Dracula's appearance in Buffy vs. Dracula more enjoyable.

Any theories on 1, 2, or 3...? Or a Yay or Nay to the whole "We'll get answers to these questions."
    Just one rule... I don't want to date a twin... I've been traded before.

Originally posted by modifiedblind View Post
    1. While Buffy's reading the Watcher's diaries she says, "A few sketchy references taht might be me, or my friends... Some encouraging, some dire... At least one that is too ridiculous to comprehend." I'm referring mainly to the "Too ridiculous to comprehend" was that just thrown in to make us wonder or will we get an answer to what she read?
    Personally I don't think we'll ever find out what Buffy was referring to when she said that. I always thought it was meant to just be a fun little line that makes us wonder what she read but that won't be important to the main arc. Though IMO if it were to be something we'd find out about the best I could guess is that it'd be something like a Buffy/Xander or Xander/Dawn hook-up.

2. What exactly did DFW show Fray to get her to turn against Buffy? Fray tells Erin that Buffy will end the world...

3. Last but not least, why did DFW bring Buffy to the future only to have Buffy kill her??
    I definitely think we'll find the answers out to both of those questions My best theory is that Buffy is responsible for the destruction of the slayer line, that's the one thing I could see Fray getting so angry about. What else could have Willow shown her that would make her go after Buffy? From very early on in season eight I’ve had a suspicion that it won’t be Twilight who ends the slayers but Buffy and Time of Your Life just made me think it more. But yeah, we’ll find these two questions out by the end of the season. Time of Your Life definitely felt like it was working on something bigger and it’ll be great to go back and read once the season is finished.

Joss Whedon wrote this, there's no way he doesn't have plans for all those seeds he just planted!
    Last edited by vampmogs; 04-06-09, 03:32 AM.
    "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

...or Buffy/Dawn hook-up
      O RLY?

I'm hoping for the Buffy/Xander hook-up, more expecting and a little disappointed a Xander/Dawn hook-up, but that's exactly the kind of thing I think that will be revealed to be -- some romantic development that Buffy was like "huh?" at.
      sigpic
      Banner by LRae12

Comment

I'll be changing that right now... though it certainly would be something too ridiculous to comprehend.

Comment

I got the impression that the thing that FDW told Fray that convinced her to turn on Buffy is simply that Buffy would try to change things to undo mistakes she feels she made and as a result Frays future could cease to exist.

As far as the thing to ridiculous to comprehend, thats actually not a big deal if you think about it. If someone had shown season 2 Buffy records from the future which said she would become involved in an intimate relationship with Spike I think her reaction would be much the same. To me the comment simply was a reference to the fact that ridiculous things routinely happen in the Buffyverse and what may seem incredibly unbelievable one minute might be seen as unremarkable the next.
          “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

Comment

1. While Buffy's reading the Watcher's diaries she says, "A few sketchy references that might be me, or my friends... Some encouraging, some dire... At least one that is too ridiculous to comprehend." I'm referring mainly to the "Too ridiculous to comprehend" was that just thrown in to make us wonder or will we get an answer to what she read?
            It's probably something that is going to happen in the future that at that point in Buffy's life seemed ridiculous, but when it happens it will actually make sense, it could have technically happened, but Buffy would've probably commented on it, but I don't think it can be anything to do with the Twilight reveal or anything because I think that would be quite substantial in terms of the plot. Maybe there's something more to come, such as a hook-up that happens (Bander, Dander etc.) or a plot to come, like, Buffy gets pregnant or something. The impression I got is that it wasn't very detailed as to who the diaries were talking about, sort of like, somebody had written them and then somebody else had turned up and re-written them blotting out the main characters.

It was probably something like Buffy kissing Angel or Spike when they were vamped out or Buffy doing something that wouldn't be viewed favourably by another slayer, although, it's more likely that what FDW showed Fray was a lie, she does mention at some point that she had been playing Harth and Fray to get them to the point they were at.

I love this part in the book because it's so cryptic, but it's fairly obvious that in the future Willow does something to Buffy (such as a betrayal), that makes Willow think it's justified for needing to survive that long in order to bring Buffy there to kill her. Maybe at some point Willow had a vision of the future of the Slayers, without the magic and blamed herself for them dying out, so kept herself alive until the new Slayer was called so that Buffy could see what the future of the Slayers was like and kill her for what she did.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by modifiedblind View Post
              I can think of a couple of possible reasons:

1) Willow was working on some big magic that would save the world, but she no longer had enough power inside her to finish the spell. She worked out that if she was killed by the Scythe at a particular place and time, it would release enough energy to complete the magic... so she engineered things to make that happen.

Evidence: the huge magical release of energy that happens when Buffy kills her.

2) Future Willow needed to influence present-day Buffy into taking a particular course of action, in order to save the world. Simply telling her wouldn't work; she needed Buffy to feel an overwhelming personal and emotional commitment to action which would override her normal desires. Willow decided that the only thing that would have that strong an effect on her is if Buffy went back to her own time having just experienced the guilt and trauma of killing her best friend.

Maybe in the original timeline that future!Willow remembers, Buffy argued with her on the right strategy concerning Twilight, and they ended up on different sides in the battle. Now that Buffy feels so guilty about Willow's death, she'll be unwilling to push her away and will instead work out a compromise, and the timeline will be changed.

If !1) is correct, then it's possible that Time Of Your Life won't get raised again, because Willow's spell was about saving Fray's world, not Buffy's, and that story arc is over. But if it's (2), then I expect at some point near the season finale we'll be shown some key decision where Buffy remembers killing Willow, and that influences what she does next.

Comment

Originally posted by stormwreath View Post
                I can think of a couple of possible reasons:

1) Willow was working on some big magic that would save the world, but she no longer had enough power inside her to finish the spell. She worked out that if she was killed by the Scythe at a particular place and time, it would release enough energy to complete the magic... so she engineered things to make that happen.

Evidence: the huge magical release of energy that happens when Buffy kills her.

2) Future Willow needed to influence present-day Buffy into taking a particular course of action, in order to save the world. Simply telling her wouldn't work; she needed Buffy to feel an overwhelming personal and emotional commitment to action which would override her normal desires. Willow decided that the only thing that would have that strong an effect on her is if Buffy went back to her own time having just experienced the guilt and trauma of killing her best friend.
                I have always thougth the scythe and the energy release are connected. #2 might also be in play, but I'll be stunned if the scythe isn't part of what's going on. They spent the whole previous arc letting us know that it's very. important. So I don't think it can be just working on Buffy's emotional commitments.

If !1) is correct, then it's possible that Time Of Your Life won't get raised again, because Willow's spell was about saving Fray's world, not Buffy's, and that story arc is over. But if it's (2), then I expect at some point near the season finale we'll be shown some key decision where Buffy remembers killing Willow, and that influences what she does next.
                Not sure how (1) has to be about saving Fray's world. The energy release could do something backward in time (ripples). At a minimum it's what opened the portal in the first place, though I expect it does much more than just that. I also would be surprised if the major plot point of a whole arc is about Fray's world as opposed to Buffy's.
                sigpic
                "I don't want to be this good-looking and athletic. We all have crosses to bear." Banner Credit: Vampmogs

Comment

Originally posted by stormwreath View Post
                  You've hit the nail on the head there, at least from where I'm coming from. That's exactly why I believe Willow made Buffy kill her. To permanently effect Buffy in some way, either to prepare her (she may have to kill present Willow) or to deter her from doing something in the future. I've also thought that perhaps FutureWillow was trying to point out to Buffy how potentially ruthless she can be, in order to stop her from making a ruthless and calculated decision somewhere down the line. FutureWillow knew that if she stood between Buffy and her only way home that Buffy would kill her, and she made Buffy face up to that.

Comment

Working...
                  X