• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willow mini #2 [full spoilers]

Thanks for these zianna...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=40885

Covers spoilered for space...
    Spoiler:

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER: WILLOW—WONDERLAND #2 (of 5)
    Jeff Parker (W), Brian Ching (P), Jason Gorder (I), Michelle Madsen (C), David Mack (Cover), and Megan Lara (Variant cover)
    On sale Dec 5
    FC, 32 pages
    $2.99
    Miniseries

In a strange new dimension, many unexpected encounters guide Willow on the quest to return magic to her world. While she's increasingly better at keeping her darkest self at bay, her mystery companion—Marrak—encourages darkness, making Willow wary of his intentions while dependent on his knowledge of this magically abundant realm. Just how far down the path of volatile magic will she go to get what she wants? And whom might she find there?

• Coincides with events in Buffy Season 9.

The second cover is absolutely gorgeous ♥

I hope I'll like the way Jeff Parker writes Willow.

Comment

I like the idea of Willow getting a better control of her dark side rather than repressing it. Everything this season seems, in some way, to end up relating to balance and this seems a nice progression for her character to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
        I like the idea of Willow getting a better control of her dark side rather than repressing it. Everything this season seems, in some way, to end up relating to balance and this seems a nice progression for her character to me.
        Yes, but where are they going with this? And why do they constantly show Willow and the broken Scythe for? If she can't repair it because she doesn't have her powers what is the point?

Comment

It has the residual power to it, it is an innate connection, perhaps just symbolic but I doubt it. How was Willow's mission phrased by the first slayer in Buffy's dream?

Comment

It has the residual power to it, it is an innate connection, perhaps just symbolic but I doubt it. How was Willow's mission phrased by the first slayer in Buffy's dream?
            Some are saying this wasn't really Sineya but the fairie manipulating Buffy's dreamscape. So it may not mean anything. However, if the fairie was manipulating Buffy's dream...why isn't Willow aware of this? Or did Willow know what was going on? These are unanswered questions.

That fairie is part of the magical realm that still exists in the magicless Buffyverse. I'm wondering if Willow has been in contact with the fairies all this time. Notice the Willow cover on the second issue...clovers, green imagery. The reference to the rainbow is another one. These are all fairie hints. Willow may be working with the fairies. And correct me if I'm wrong on this...but fairies are considered a form of demons.

I think Willow may be willing to make a deal with the fairies in exchange to getting some of her powers back. This was an old theory of mine and this Willow cover with the green Elven imagery immediately makes me think they're going here.
            Last edited by DorothyFan1; 08-09-12, 10:58 AM.

Comment

I really like the second cover! It reminds me the clow cards of Cardcaptor Sakura.

Comment

The reviews and comments about what Willow saw were interesting enough to prompt me to get the digital copy. I am really interested in the Dawn storyline although the idea of her slowly fading doesn't work really well for me from Buffy's conversation with Xander in issue 1 as Buffy didn't seem personally bothered/upset by what they were discussing, just concerned for Xander. I wouldn't have thought that would play that way if they were discussing losing memories of Dawn, surely that would upset Buffy the most as the others haven't known her throughout her life (from the implanted memories obviously). The scene with Xander/Dawn/Buffy I think showed that this is what is happening though.

The start of the set up to Buffy/Dowling has been played, whether it is picked up on in BtVS or not we'll see but it is a very predictable development. Even more predictably to instantly throw in the (Angel)/Spike counter to it. I'm assuming Spike because of the season Spuffy set up, that Buffy would in some way be dwelling on her and Spike is realistic and likely for the return/reunion but it could have been an Angel reference of course (or both). I won't be surprised if Buffy starts dating Dowling, it would kind of make sense but it won't make him any more interesting.

I found the whole 'wonderous' Red stuff really irritating. I assumed it was going to be another dream it was so nauseating plus all her self involved praise earlier, we'll see where they are going with that. It is possibly going to play into the lure to stay but that would go against all the 'real' choices we are seeing so who knows.

Comment

The reviews and comments about what Willow saw were interesting enough to prompt me to get the digital copy. I am really interested in the Dawn storyline although the idea of her slowly fading doesn't work really well for me from Buffy's conversation with Xander in issue 1 as Buffy didn't seem personally bothered/upset by what they were discussing, just concerned for Xander. I wouldn't have thought that would play that way if they were discussing losing memories of Dawn, surely that would upset Buffy the most as the others haven't known her throughout her life (from the implanted memories obviously). The scene with Xander/Dawn/Buffy I think showed that this is what is happening though.

The start of the set up to Buffy/Dowling has been played, whether it is picked up on in BtVS or not we'll see but it is a very predictable development. Even more predictably to instantly throw in the (Angel)/Spike counter to it. I'm assuming Spike because of the season Spuffy set up, that Buffy would in some way be dwelling on her and Spike is realistic and likely for the return/reunion but it could have been an Angel reference of course (or both). I won't be surprised if Buffy starts dating Dowling, it would kind of make sense but it won't make him any more interesting.

I found the whole 'wonderous' Red stuff really irritating. I assumed it was going to be another dream it was so nauseating plus all her self involved praise earlier, we'll see where they are going with that. It is possibly going to play into the lure to stay but that would go against all the 'real' choices we are seeing so who knows.
                  The reference to "Willow the Red" may be a callback to the exploits of the real "Erik the Red"...a Norse Viking explorer who discovered North America circa the 10th century. I think it's possible this was thrown out there as a clue to what Willow may end up doing...finding her way back home.

I also think there's a deliberate similarity to two other characters who ended up in these dreamscapes...Alice and Dorothy. They were both in dreamworlds and eventually "woke up" back in their reality. So I can't escape the feeling the wording about dreams is important as well.

Comment

I find it incalculably more likely that "Willow the Red" is an otherwise insubstantial shoutout to Gandalf, seeing as "The Hobbit" is sort of on people's minds. I mean, the only point to that display was "wow, Willow has somewhat legendary status among these people".

I found myself skimming this. I enjoy Marrak's snark, and, y'know, it is hard not to relate to a character who instinctively wants to kill Aluwyn. Never gonna like that character, never going to like Willow liking her. Kennedy is worth three of her, Willow -- downgrade.

I think Willow is crying for a confluence of reasons. One, the ostensible failure of her quest (which is hard to believe will actually be the case), two, she is stranded and apart from her family (it is reminiscent of Buffy seeing her friends in 8.35), three, something is terribly wrong with Dawn. I wonder whose dream she saw the first time, I almost wonder if it is Xander's. Maybe I didn't catch how that works though.

I think 9.16 will make more sense, ignoring the release of previews, now, at least with regard to Dowling. Just having Buffy having that Wood-like discussion about him at least somewhat validates the huge veer in how they are portrayed relating between "Guarded" and the preview. Still makes it feel insincere, since if he was anything other than the irrelevant point of a triangle for Spuffy, they would actually show the interest forming than just sort of mentioning it.

Decent, but not great. Best in that it actually gave us some contours of a central plot for Season 9, although pretty telling that we needed to get it from a mini, isn't it?
                    sigpic
                    Banner by LRae12

Comment

Loved the issue. Especially the part where the Scythe is being repaired - and it now looks like the Scythe from original Fray series. Without its white edge. I know it is not consistent with S8 where both Scythes look the same - but I cannot but feel that the artist looked up the original Fray comic and tried to follow the art guidelines. Happy.

Spoiler:
                      “Personally, I kind of want to slay the dragon” ranks as probably the best next-to-last line in TV history. (Granted, I’m not exactly sure what the competition is.) -- A.V. Club

Comment

How could it be Xander's dream if it's Xander himself running with Dawn? No I think it's Willow's dream we're seeing. Not anyone else. Although it does beg the question why are their faces blurred in the beginning and the only one who's face is blotted out by the end is Dawn's?

First Xander and Dawn and then Buffy. Then Dawn at the end. It could just be the way you described it King...an artifact showing how Willow is trying to enter and losing her connection to that world in which their faces become sharper in focus and then blot out when the link gets lost. Much like Willow's suggestion about a Wi Fi hotspot.

If there really is something wrong with Dawn...why would Xander need to hide this from Buffy for? It's Dawn's life and she's Buffy's sister. I think whatever is happening is causing them to lose their memories of her existence...not that Dawn is actually dying. Although that's possible as well.

The interesting thing about this situation is Willow in the beginning has been warning Buffy repeatedly about the dangers of the Seed's destruction and it's consequences. Of course Buffy has no reason to listen to Willow now because Buffy feels, rightly perhaps, that she saved the world and nothing really bad has happened except for the appearances of zompires.

Whether or not we're supposed to take this Dawn panel to mean we're now seeing the real consequences to Buffy's action remains to be seen. But it does seem to tie into the way Willow described herself to Fray as the "madwoman"...meaning nobody believed what she was telling them. Similar to the way Buffy isn't taking Willow seriously now. Although by the time Buffy does come around to seeing it Willow's way...it'll be too late.

Comment

I have my copy of Willow # 2.

I liked last issue but I think this issue was better overall.The character voices still sound right and the story gets deeper and more interesting.

The stuff about dreams/nightmares and how they impact other dimensions was a new wrinkle to the mythology.

The Willow/Aluwym happens here and I LOLed at Marrak's reaction to the kiss.Also laughed at the Marrak The Okay title.

The one witch looks like Batman villain,Poison Ivy.The one who calls Willow,The Slayer's Hex Mistress.

Willow reaching the wellspring and the supercoven created by Aluwym and the Scythe being fixed and restored I noticed the change in color too that lines it up with the Scythe from Fray) pushes Willow's goal's forward but of course it wouldn't be that easy with magic sill gone in our dimension.

The scene of Willow looking in on Xander/Dawn and Buffy I think will tie into next week's Buffy # 16 or another issue in the next Buffy arc.Also the faceless Dawn is pretty ominous and could be hinting that the loss of magic and Dawn's magical origins are going to converge soon.There has been a lot of speculation about this element since the end of season 8 and the early issues of season 9 and this might give more weight to some of that speculation.

I liked the artwork again and I'm looking forward to next issue.

Comment

Originally posted by dorotea View Post
                            Loved the issue. Especially the part where the Scythe is being repaired - and it now looks like the Scythe from original Fray series. Without its white edge. I know it is not consistent with S8 where both Scythes look the same - but I cannot but feel that the artist looked up the original Fray comic and tried to follow the art guidelines. Happy.

Spoiler:
                            Well, I have never taken the inconsistency as all that meaningful. It probably came about from the prop department saying it would look stupid if they made the head entirely red. It looked better with the edge silver.

Originally posted by DorothyFan1 View Post
                            How could it be Xander's dream if it's Xander himself runningw Dawn? No I think it's Willow's dream we're seeing. Not anyone else. Although it does beg the question why are their faces blurred in the beginning and the only one who's face is blotted out by the end is Dawn's?

First Xander and Dawn and then Buffy. Then Dawn at the end. It could just be the way you described it King...an artifact showing how Willow is trying to enter and losing her connection to that world in which their faces become sharper in focus and then blot out when the link gets lost. Much like Willow's suggestion about a Wi Fi hotspot.

If there really is something wrong with Dawn...why would Xander need to hide this from Buffy for? It's Dawn's life and she's Buffy's sister. I think whatever is happening is causing them to lose their memories of her existence...not that Dawn is actually dying. Although that's possible as well.

The interesting thing about this situation is Willow in the beginning has been warning Buffy repeatedly about the dangers of the Seed's destruction and it's consequences. Of course Buffy has no reason to listen to Willow now because Buffy feels, rightly perhaps, that she saved the world and nothing really bad has happened except for the appearances of zompires.

Whether or not we're supposed to take this Dawn panel to mean we're now seeing the real consequences to Buffy's action remains to be seen. But it does seem to tie into the way Willow described herself to Fray as the "madwoman"...meaning nobody believed what she was telling them. Similar to the way Buffy isn't taking Willow seriously now. Although by the time Buffy does come around to seeing it Willow's way...it'll be too late.
                            I think if you are still thinking of this as a story where anything "end of magic" related is dependent on Buffy thinking or doing anything, the story has sailed right past you. What has happened this season since Willow left to make you think Buffy's perspective on it is even important, let alone essential? Pop out of narrative suspended animation on this Buffy thing.

As for whose dream, I though the idea of the birds was that they were manifestations of other people's dreams? Like I said, I skimmed. But at the end, there is no dream -- I think it is Willow seeing something actual, the way Buffy did in her trance. And the threat has to be material, not existential or abstract, to really justify itself.
                            sigpic
                            Banner by LRae12

Comment

This issue was a holiday stocking-stuffer for those who hold the theory that Dawn is disappearing/losing her magical memories. It was also a stocking-stuffer for those who hold the theory that Murrack is Rack with his angry refusal of Willow's offer to de-disfigure him. I'm pretty sure that I'm the second theory's bandwagon.

I wonder if this series will truly engage with the idea of why Willow won't stay in this dimension with Saga. Where Willow has powers, lots of witches to socialize with who admire her, where Saga showers Willow with flowery, drippy praise and kisses. Willow always intended on having both worlds and blending them. Opening up magic to the world so she can have Buffy/Xander/Dawn and humanity and Saga/magic. However, this issue ends on a revelation that Willow can't bring back magic, at least in the manner that she had hoped.

I don't think I'll feel comfortable judging or analyzing this series until #4 or something. Even by Issue 2, the writers are keeping too many cards close to the vest.

Comment

Working...
                              X