Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No HTML

HTML is turned off for security reasons.

Please do not use html in your posts or messages. If you are copy and pasting something from another website and you are having problems with it showing, then it may have html in it. This could be in the form of a website link or a viewable image or an emoji or a special chacter. I am not sure this is the reason we have errors posting.

Some html code can be simply swapped with our Bulletin Board code by changing the greater than/ less than signs with bracket signs. Other BB code needs to done using the buttons in the advanced post editor.
2 of 2 < >

Home Page

The home page address has changed to: http://buffyforums.net/forums/
Please update your bookmark. Otherwise, the home page does not show you are logged in and/or will not let you type into the log in box in the top right. The link at Buffyforums.net to the forums has not yet been updated. So you will experience the error when you enter the forum through that link.
See more
See less

Buffy 9.25 "The Core, Part V" SPOILER Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffy 9.25 "The Core, Part V" SPOILER Discussion Thread

Figured I'd start this thread because reviews are pouring in and it's sort of clogging up the news thread. Issue releases tomorrow!
    sigpic
    Banner by LRae12

Here are the previous reviews out already.

http://www.massmovement.co.uk/wordpress/?p=27537

http://www.comicbooktherapy.com/adva...on-9-25-159105

http://www.redshirtcrew.com/2013/09/...ason-nine.html

Comment

Does Illyria survive this time?

Comment

I wonder if there will be another Joss letter in this issue?

Comment

I have no clue if there will be one

Comment

Morphia was probably offline when I asked her to pm me her thoughts.

If somone received a pm from her, would you forwarding it to me?

Thanks.
            sigpic

Comment

Okay so....

Illyria is dead, she dies with Severine in the core. Simone is also dead due to a foolish attempt to attack Buffy with the Scythe. Dawn is back because they used Buffy's blood to redo the key spell, or something like that. Xander suspects that she knows what he did even though there is no way she could. Um, magic is back and so are vampires. There might even be a new breed that can turn themselves into bats and isn't affected by sunlight. I'm not sure on that one though.

Honestly the whole issue was pretty meh. Everything happened by the numbers, no surprises and no heavy price was paid. It didn't feel very Buffy to me, more like a story that just happened to have Buffy characters in it.

Oh I forgot, the Vampyr book is apparently now blank so that's ominous I guess.
              Last edited by PointMan; 11-09-13, 09:23 AM.
              “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by PointMan View Post
                Okay so....

Illyria is dead, she dies with Severine in the core. Simone is also dead due to a foolish attempt to attack Buffy with the Scythe. Dawn is back because they used Buffy's blood to redo the key spell, or something like that. Xander suspects that she knows what he did even though there is no way she could. Um, magic is back and so are vampires. There might even be a new breed that can turn themselves into bats. I'm not sure on that one though.

Honestly the whole issue was pretty meh. Everything happened by the numbers, no surprises and no heavy price was paid. It didn't feel very Buffy to me, more like a story that just happened to have Buffy characters in it.
                Wow that sounds really boring. I was expecting some major character death. The Core Four appear to be untouchable, even if they die they come back.

Comment

With that new breed of vampires, the blank Vampyr book (and who knows what else they'll come up changing the mythology) this is not going to the Fray-verse. So it looks like a reboot

I also liked the it's got to be blood call back to S5
                  Last edited by ubi4soft; 11-09-13, 09:22 AM.
                  "Gunn dies, Illyria Survives, Spike shanshus, Angel looses an arm and Xander looses an arm too, which is odd because he wasn't even there."
                  Joss Whedon at the High Stakes convention - 2004

Comment

I agree with Pointman. While the issue itself, when you say what happened in it wasn't so bad (apart from the bat thing, which I found ridiculous), all the big moments lack impact somehow.

Also, Simone has to be the stupidest villain in the history of Buffyverse stupid villains (of whom there are several). She makes Glory look like a genius. Why spend so much time getting yourself turned into something Buffy can kill without compunction? Which she does.

I don't agree with that one reviewer that Xander got especially shafted by the story. IMO, the only character who had a coherent story all season (because she had a goal, a mission, and stuck to it) was Willow. Spike's story was basically making him get over Buffy, and that's it. He had no real impact on the plot (such as it was). On the other hand, even if he was surplus to requirements yet again, I much prefer what he was doing at the end of this season (helping Dawn) to what he was doing at the end of season 8. Also, at least the bug ship's gone for good.

Xander's story - as many have said- should have been the one with the most dramatic impact, and on paper it still is. But again, everything falls down in the execution.

As for Buffy herself, who the hell knows what her story was about this season? I don't.

Illyria looks to be dead, but I'm not convinced. The character is one of Joss's favourites. The only reason I can think of for him to kill her for good would be because he doesn't want anyone else writing her. Also, there was no explanation for why she was acting as she did (more Fred-like) so I'm assuming she'll be back.

The vampires turning into bats thing was silly. The first time I read it, I couldn't believe it and thought there must be pages missing. Actually got confused and thought the trailer pages for that werewolf story by Victor Gischler were part of the story at first.

It does seem that all the season has done has been to exchange one lame kind of vampire for another.

On the plus side, no mention of Billy.

Comment

The blank book is the only interesting thing that happens. Good God, this has been a dreadful season.

And tellingly, no letter from Joss.
                      sigpic
                      "I don't want to be this good-looking and athletic. We all have crosses to bear." Banner Credit: Vampmogs

Comment

Something I find funny for some reason is that Buffy is bleeding from the shoulder and yet Willow cuts her hand to get the blood they need for the spell. Maybe that's just me though.
                        “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

Comment

I would like to know, once everyone has read the issue, what they think Buffy's story has been about this season.

Something to do with freefall, I think someone at Dark Horse said.

I'm beginning to think that's code for 'we don't know and we don't care.'

ETA: I do hope, if the PTBs have learned anything from fan reaction this season, it's that people don't like the cast being atomised. There were enough letters printed complaining about it.

If they're going to insist on sticking some of them in separate books (Gischler's inclusion in the writers' summit suggests they're going to get him to write a Spike book, which I'm not happy about. Not a fan of the mini series. And maybe Nick Brendon's presence means they're thinking of a Xander oriented book), I hope they at least have the sense to have all these things happening at once and in proximity, so characters can cross over all the time.
                          Last edited by Morphia; 11-09-13, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PointMan View Post
                            Something I find funny for some reason is that Buffy is bleeding from the shoulder and yet Willow cuts her hand to get the blood they need for the spell. Maybe that's just me though.
                            Sounds to me like Willow's a sadist

Comment

It would have been a bit brutal to make her lean whilst she dug a knife into an existing deep wound to open it up more to flow.

I am quite excited about the vampire thing. Maloker was crumbled with the blast of magic that kabooied out of the deeper well so they can no doubt argue that something fundamental flowed into the magic in the world which rewrites the mythology of vampires to incorporate aspects of the original old one. Therefore the vampyr book is no longer valid, rewrite. The reason I like this is that with Giles back we could have more of a return to basics for the Scooby gang (reflects where Angel is supposedly at in his title too). Equally, if this is the right kind of interpretation then Illyria's power is out there is some way too. Possibly. Maybe.

There could be repercussions from Buffy being in the deeper well as magic surged if they chose to go there too.

There is the potential that Spike may be around in the same title as the scooby gang as a more integrated member next season. It works with his belonging and losing the wanderlust and something I personally would like to see. Having a vamp on the team for the changes in the new mythology makes sense. They could still team him with Faith I suppose but I wouldn't bet that way at this point and I can't see him taking his own title fitting in with the arc he had this season. I think the chances of him heading back to London seem unlikely too. They haven't slammed the door on Spuffy (of course they never definitively do with anything) as Buffy resting her hand on his chest whilst thanking him shows affection. Doesn't tell us anything we don't know really and I still suspect S10 will be them dating others and being friends if they are in the same title.

I agree Xander's arc was disappointing but they need to carry forward with it, it wasn't tied up so there is that. I'm not sure what that is but it is at least nudging at further character exploration being on the cards and with the inclusion of Nick I would say a glimmer of hope for S10 for Xander.

Plus, plus, plus.... Buffy's stupid hair got axed, well scythed, and noone can argue that wasn't a good thing. I thought Jeanty's Buffy was unrecognisable to even his version of her for good chunks of this but otherwise was pretty much his set art.

EDIT: Fingers are sewn crossed for new writer and artist in S10. Although fun to see Jeanty stuck to what he had said to a fan and drew in the Ghost of the Robot logo on the new vampire girl's t-shirt [James Marsters band for any who don't know].
                              Last edited by Stoney; 11-09-13, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X