Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffy 9.25 preview pages SPOILER discussion

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=17883

Looks pretty interesting. My first thought was whether Buffy was talking to both Xander and Willow, or only Willow, about who she meant to help escape.
    sigpic
    Banner by LRae12

Here are the pages posted out.

EXCL. PREVIEW: "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9" #25

Dark Horse Comics provides CBR with an exclusive look at "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" #25, the final issue of Season 9. Andrew Chambliss and Georges Jeanty's closing chapter hits stores September 11.

Buffy can’t ever just be a vampire Slayer, can she? Always, the world seems to want more, and as the lives of her loved ones are threatened, Buffy shows why she is the Chosen One. Whatever is thrust upon her, she can handle it! Er . . . sometimes with a little help from her friends.

Comment

Now it looks like they won't defeat Simone in the final issue and she'll probably be one of the villains of Season 10 if not the Big Bad.

Comment

I'm thinking the same as Fandango. It does look like Simone is about to escape and they may want to play with a Slayerpire for a while yet. Plus Pearl escaped didn't she? So Simone would be a cliffhanger for the Buffy book.

Although I wonder if Maloker is cool with Simone or if he's after her too?
        Last edited by DanSlayer; 28-08-13, 09:29 PM.

Comment

I have vague memories of there being reports of guns being stolen in the city around the time Buffy was getting her physical body back, but I might be making that up. Simone was also testing slaypires for strength wasn't she? I'd have to look back for the Simone relevant bits in the season, but she may well have a larger plan where she wanted this turning/strength but is intending to lead/form an army of sorts and that will go forward into S10. She is also beggering off with the scythe there. But this could be right at the beginning, she may get clobbered at the top of the next page.

I think she was talking to Willow King but only in that it was Willow she was specifically responding too. I don't think there was anything intentional/significant in it in that moment.

EDIT: Having had a quick flick through #8-10 it was probably just Spike finding a stash of guns in Simone's van combined with Buffybodybot saying Simone had a back up plan in the city once she failed to steal Buffy's power, which presumably was Sev. If there was reference to stolen guns elsewhere I can't remember where so I am probably making it up.
          Last edited by Stoney; 28-08-13, 09:45 PM.

Comment

IMO, Buffy was talking to both Willow and Xander that she means to help both of them escape. That's solidified by Xander pointing out that Buffy has a big hole in her chest and Buffy lying that it's not that bad to Xander like Buffy doesn't want Xander's concerns about her injuries putting off his own safety. And Maloker lampshading the challenge that Buffy will die protecting her *friends*.

Willow examining and tending to Buffy's injuries made me very happy because Willow dealing with Scoobies' (especially Buffy's) injuries is such a trope for the series. It's so rare in S9 to see salient, meaningful character interactions/roles from the series quietly represented in the art without prompting from the plot/dialogue.

Comment

It's interesting to see nobody is noticing Willow's lie. As we saw in the last issue Willow was told the Seed's magic power would manifest...in a thousand years. Here we see Willow telling Buffy the Seed would power up in "a moment". Clearly she's lying. The question is why.

Comment

She is referring to getting the Sev jump start.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                  She is referring to getting the Sev jump start.
                  She's not mentioning what the Seedling told her. Willow is still lying although it's by omission. And Willow also knows Dawn is dead. Willow is *hoping* the "kaboom" will fix things but there's no guarantee of that. The important fact is Willow isn't telling Buffy the truth.

Comment

Willow may have simply read the rest of the issue and remembered that the seedling was giving an "if left to its own devices" estimate, but that the plan they were running with was to make Severin discharge into it and get it going roughly now-ish. Did you miss that?
                    sigpic
                    Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                      Willow may have simply read the rest of the issue and remembered that the seedling was giving an "if left to its own devices" estimate, but that the plan they were running with was to make Severin discharge into it and get it going roughly now-ish. Did you miss that?
                      Willow isn't telling Buffy what the Seedling told her...that left to its own devices it *would* take 1000 years. That's Dawn's death sentence because she doesn't have thousands of years. So why is Willow leaving this out...in the hopes that the "kaboom" would fix things? There's even the chance Severin may die *before* getting to ignite the Seedling and then it's really over for Dawn.

Comment

Willow thinks that Severin and Illyria can jump-start the Seed, therefore there won't be a need to wait for a thousand years. I don't see what's so difficult to understand about this. Maybe she's not explaining to Buffy in great detail about what the Seed told her *because they are in the middle of an apocalyptic battle*, maybe that's got something to do with it. Really, what do you expect Willow should say in this situation? "I gave birth to a new Seed which is going to take a thousand years to go live, but maybe Severin -who's on our side now by the way, can jump start it so it goes live immediately. And oh yeah, there's an imminent explosion incoming." That's quite a mouthful, seriously why not just say "it's gonna go live any second now"? Far as Willow knows, that's probably what's going to happen. She's not "lying". She just doesn't have time right now to give an in-depth explanation. Once again Dorothy, you're reading something in the text that's simply not there. She's not lying, it's not going to be a plot point.

I wonder if D'Hoffryn is going to left as the guardian of the Deeper Well? Interesting that Simone is escaping, rather than trying to finish Buffy off.

DanSlayer, I imagine that Maloker is cool with Simone. He did sire her after all. Also he's probably thankful that she resurrected him, plus she's kinda handing the scoobies over to him now.

I do wonder if Simone is going to be killed or if she'll be the big bad for season 10.

Spoilers for A&F:

Spoiler:
                        Interesting that both big bads -Whistler and Severin, seem to redeem themselves at the end in an act of self-sacrifice in order to contain a magical explosion. Also possible that Simone and Pearl could both survive to become the big bads of next season, both seeming to get an upgrade in terms of power.

Comment

Originally posted by DorothyFan1 View Post
                          Willow isn't telling Buffy what the Seedling told her...that left to its own devices it *would* take 1000 years. That's Dawn's death sentence because she doesn't have thousands of years. So why is Willow leaving this out...in the hopes that the "kaboom" would fix things? There's even the chance Severin may die *before* getting to ignite the Seedling and then it's really over for Dawn.
                          Rug said it well -- you're basically anxiously curious why Willow isn't bombarding Buffy with information that isn't pertinent. It's not like last season where the Seed's role in Twilight's attack was of some application, might have affected some decision making.

Here, there is absolutely nothing a rational person in Buffy's position could or would do differently if Willow had instead said "new Seed is going live in any second... unless this doesn't work in which it will take millenia, which I learned from the disembodied voice of the new Seed". I mean, I can't see why Buffy would even give (an act of intercourse) at just that moment.

The plan is that Severin doing his thing will work. Knowing the specifics of the failure condition to that plan couldn't be less useful information at that moment. It's not deceptive, it's Willow not being a fool in an emergency. Is that what you would be doing in Willow's place? Just go with the "if you were there" fantasy of it, would you have taken the time just then and there to tell Buffy -- bleeding from a severe, possibly catastrophic wound to her shoulder/chest, facing off with a newly vamped Slayer, an Old One raging around through the Deeper Well -- about the Seed's ETA that they aren't even relying on?

As far as Willow "knowing Dawn is dead"... what are you talking about? That's not how logic or time or probability work, DorothyFan, in real life or in fiction. Willow has a "sounds legit" level plan in hand on how Dawn can be saved, so that's all that matters, that's the only information that they need to worry about or act on.
                          sigpic
                          Banner by LRae12

Comment

In fact by the nature of Dawn's deterioration I would argue that as long as they have any level of knowledge of her then there is still hope as her existence hasn't ultimately become a void until it, well, has.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                              In fact by the nature of Dawn's deterioration I would argue that as long as they have any level of knowledge of her then there is still hope as her existence hasn't ultimately become a void until it, well, has.
                              True, and well spotted. She is having the ultimate existential crisis, and as long as any of them can conceive of her being than, by definition, she has to still be around.

But, Stoney, I think DorothyFan's position is that as soon as the Seedling gave its ETA, Dawn was as good as dead, and apparently Willow should put no hope in her own plan about using Severin to pop the clutch on the damn thing and just tell Buffy that it's over, it's all over.
                              sigpic
                              Banner by LRae12

Comment

Working...
                              X