Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Dawn is fading, why people are losing memories of her, why she’s losing memories:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Dawn is fading, why people are losing memories of her, why she’s losing memories:

Stoney

they aren't undoing magic. The seed didn't sustain magic. Warren went squish because he needed a constant skin spell, presumably there was an innate part of what created Dawn that required magic to keep the memories and her existence sustained.
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...0&postcount=59

* Remember that Dawn is actually ‘energy formed to look like a human’.

DAWN: "The key is not directly described in any known literature, but all research indicates an energy matrix vibrating at a dimensional frequency beyond normal human perception. Only those outside reality can see the key's true nature." (shakes head) Outside reality. What's that mean?

SPIKE: Mm. Second-sight blokes, mostly. (Puts out his cigarette in an item on the shelf) Or even just your run-of-the-mill lunatics.

……………………………………………………………….

SPIKE: (frowns at book) "The monks possessed the ability to transform energy, bend reality."
    http://www.buffyworld.com/buffy/tran.../091_tran.html

So, if the magic needed to be continual, this explains why Dawn is fading and why people are forgetting her.

Dawn is energy ‘transformed’ into a human girl, but she’s still actually that energy. She’s fading because she’s going out of the wavelengths that people can see.

As for the memories, the monks bent reality to give Dawn records (birth certificate, SS#, school records, medical records; people knowing her) but also reality was continually bent in order for people to have memories of Dawn instead of memories of nothing (likely only those like Glory or lunatics and such can see the green energy).

Dawn herself is losing memories because she only has those memories because she was transformed into a human and she perceives things as if she is a human. But she’s really the Key and the Key wouldn’t be perceiving anything because it wasn’t sentient before.

Two interesting questions:

Could Drusilla see Dawn?

For the stuff after “Buffy vs. Dracula” (5.01), are people remembering themselves interacting with nothing (as in talking to themselves, playing games or sports with empty space/air, etc.)

We were talking on SA about Dawn disappearing, and there would of course be gaps/reasons/sense to things that have happened go but as was pointed out there how clearly do you ever really remember anything? There would be nothing that sustains the notion of 'Dawn' so the vague recollections and memories would just seem blurry or incomplete. Think about how a memory actually feels when you are thinking of it, it isn't like watching something actually happen. The strangest ones would be where something of huge significance happened because of Dawn specifically, the most obvious one being Buffy jumping off the tower. But how easily would your brain just accept it as saving 'someone' on the tower to stop the world ending as the portal opened. You construct sense because it is what people do and with no knowledge or reason to know something was lost the sides fill in the gaps as much as is needed for acceptance. They could do a thing about them knowing something had gone but they wouldn't have to.

I still don't think they are going to get rid of her anyway, if I had to bet I would go with the reborn ideas.

I don't know what you mean about Dru. Could she see her now, when others can't? Nope. Would she have been able to see her in loony mode as green energy? Probably.

Comment

I'm seriously wondering if Joss hid clues to where he was taking the characters as far back as Season 5. I'm thinking of Amber Benson's scenes as Tara while she was brain sucked by Glory. I have to wonder if all those mumblings she spouted had any underlying sense of truth to them. I would be just like Joss to do this and nobody would know and we'd have to go back and see if that's the case here.

As for Dawn and why she's fading...if this theory is true then the only one who can save her is Buffy but what I think she'll have to do is really shocking. Here's my speculation on this...

Spoiler:
      The Scythe has all the power of the Slayer line and in order to save Dawn Buffy will have to release it's energy. To do this...Buffy may be forced to kill Willow in order to free up the magic to restore Dawn. Willow had enough magic to restore the Seed...but the new Seed is too young and weak to give enough energy to restore someone like Dawn. But Willow has this energy after she communed with the EoM. The energy is inside her and it can't be released unless it gets connected with the Scythe to unleash enough magic in order to accomplish what Buffy wants to save Dawn. So I think Willow will tell Buffy she'll have to kill her with the Scythe in order to release the energy to save Dawn.

Comment

Originally posted by DorothyFan1 View Post
        Spoiler:
        So I think Willow will tell Buffy she'll have to kill her with the Scythe in order to release the energy to save Dawn.
        And this absolutely would have to happen 200 years after present timeline ? Why are you purposefully forgetting about the time travel ?
        “Personally, I kind of want to slay the dragon” ranks as probably the best next-to-last line in TV history. (Granted, I’m not exactly sure what the competition is.) -- A.V. Club

Comment

Originally posted by dorotea View Post
          And this absolutely would have to happen 200 years after present timeline ? Why are you purposefully forgetting about the time travel ?
          I'm not. I'm pointing this out because it changes who appears in that Fray future. Think of the movie Looper and you have the reason why I'm offering this theory. So what happens to Willow in ToYL gets revised...only the scenario is changed to the present.

Comment

I'm seriously wondering if Joss hid clues to where he was taking the characters as far back as Season 5.
            Are you making a serious suggesting that Joss, while breaking a 2000-2001 TV season that he outlined during a 1998-1999 TV season, was planting clues for a storyline being published in 2013 as part of a comic continuation that he only started after a four year break from the TV series having its second series finale since that brain sucking scene (since "The Gift" was written as a series finale)? Gotta put speculation like this in some real world context to measure its plausibility.
            sigpic
            Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
              Are you making a serious suggesting that Joss, while breaking a 2000-2001 TV season that he outlined during a 1998-1999 TV season, was planting clues for a storyline being published in 2013 as part of a comic continuation that he only started after a four year break from the TV series having its second series finale since that brain sucking scene (since "The Gift" was written as a series finale)? Gotta put speculation like this in some real world context to measure its plausibility.
              Joss knew from the start that the character of Joyce was going to die. Does that help? Using a different case...Shakespeare hid ideas about his plays in the early poems he wrote.
              Last edited by DorothyFan1; 19-08-13, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Joss knew from the start that the character of Joyce was going to die. Does that help? Using a different case...Shakespeare hid ideas about his plays in the early poems he wrote.
                Not in supporting the notion that Joss had the plot details of "Time of Your Life" and follow-on plotlines written years after that, ready to go during the Clinton years? Before he even wrote "Fray"? No, does not help a bit.
                sigpic
                Banner by LRae12

Comment

Working...
                X