A Willow spinoff - pros and cons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dipstick View Post
    Buffy and Willow have similarities and areas to identify and mirror each other that Xander doesn't. Buffy and Willow are both women- and particularly in the early seasons, they've identified and commiserated on problems that uniquely affect women. The writers have always told story about the fact that Buffy and Willow have superpowers- and the ways that those powers lead to interpersonal conflicts and power struggles at varying points of their relationship.
    I think this signals one of the big problems with the comic book...there aren't many women writers on the Dark Horse editorial staff. I think this is why the comic book is suffering. They really do need to bring more women in there because only if that's done will we see an improvement in the interactions between the Scoobies and maybe Buffy and Willow in particular.

I mentioned a long time ago that Dark Horse should bring in Kathryn Immogen. She was brilliant as the editor to the Wolverine and Jubilee story which I still have on my iPad and iPhone. Bringing in Nicholas Brendan was nice for the writer's meeting and I'm sure he'll do a great job. I'm questioning whether the plot driven nature of the comic is ruining the interactions between the main characters. Too much plot drives home the choppy nature of the medium and this in my opinion ruins what is supposed to make the Buffy story different.

Comment

Xander and Willow are obviously not interchangeable dynamics for Buffy. I'd add that some of it is sex-based, and I guess orientation based incidentally -- I've always been in the school that candidly believes that there is always a sort of sublimated "sex, maybe?" tension in even the closest of friendships between a heterosexual man and a heterosexual woman. No, I don't think they can't be friends, I do think they manifestly can be friends; but it's a piece of furniture in that relationship one must step around and will bump into in the dark or when trying to carry in a new mattress, etc. I don't think even Xander dating Dawn necessarily changes that, especially since the most recent time it came up openly between Xander and Buffy (it has, what, only three or four times?) was after they started dating.

Point being, that is an objective and demonstrated difference in the ways that Xander and Buffy even can relate compared to how Willow and Buffy can. Now, if they ever go to the idea of Willow being attracted to Buffy beyond as that tweak of humor in 8.10, that math changes and the dynamics are more alike, but still even then not exactly alike.
      sigpic
      Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
        Xander and Willow are obviously not interchangeable dynamics for Buffy. I'd add that some of it is sex-based, and I guess orientation based incidentally -- I've always been in the school that candidly believes that there is always a sort of sublimated "sex, maybe?" tension in even the closest of friendships between a heterosexual man and a heterosexual woman. No, I don't think they can't be friends, I do think they manifestly can be friends; but it's a piece of furniture in that relationship one must step around and will bump into in the dark or when trying to carry in a new mattress, etc. I don't think even Xander dating Dawn necessarily changes that, especially since the most recent time it came up openly between Xander and Buffy (it has, what, only three or four times?) was after they started dating.

Point being, that is an objective and demonstrated difference in the ways that Xander and Buffy even can relate compared to how Willow and Buffy can. Now, if they ever go to the idea of Willow being attracted to Buffy beyond as that tweak of humor in 8.10, that math changes and the dynamics are more alike, but still even then not exactly alike.
        I've wondered why that comment by Dark Willow to the unconscious Buffy over her "excellent nose". I don't think they'll go there between Buffy and Willow...but it would definitely change things if they did. This would really raise the tension to the point one could cut it with a knife. But this actually brings home a problem regarding Willow. Are they supposed to give Willow a love interest now? Is this off the table or is the solution to keep them all celibate?

Regarding interactions between the Scoobies it's going to be interesting to see if the writers own up and start bringing the characters together...and this refers to Buffy, Xander and Willow. This raises the issue of what are they going to do about Giles and whether he gets brought back to the comic and how are they going to deal with Angel and Spike. But for the most part I think vampmogs is right, it's Buffy and Willow that matters at least to me in terms of what makes the series interesting.

If that goes, there really isn't much left to keep me tethered to the Buffy series. One has to wonder whether Scott Allie is looking at those falling sales numbers and asking himself how they can stem the tide. I think a good way to stem it would be to bring the Scoobies back together and keep them that way. The plots don't matter as much as character interaction. Let's hope they learn that lesson before it's too late.

Edit: getting back to Willow - what's going to happen if Giles comes back? Willow might be the first one to learn the truth about his return and it's going to be interesting to see whether this is going to be one of the main plot points of Season 10. How will Willow play this news? Does she tell Buffy or does she let her find out on her own? This is making me wonder whether Angel is hoping if Willow finds out this would give her the ammunition she needs in helping Buffy "forgive" him in exchange for them having another chance. Angel wanting Willow to play Cyrano de Borjac to woo Buffy back to his side.
        Last edited by DorothyFan1; 30-08-13, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X