Xander's Role in S9 (2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xander's Role in S9 (2)

Time to have a thread to talk about our favorite carpenter's role in S9 - first issue comes out next Wed, yay!

There has been a lot of talk in several threads about Xander's arc in S9, so tiger_fan and I thought it's better to create a thread solely for that topic. Let's start with a few questions:

1) What was your favorite Xander storyline in S8?
    2) Do you think there are dangling threads in S8 about Xander that should be addressed in S9?
    3) What do you think about Xander's relationship with Dawn?
    4) Who would you like to see Xander interact with in S9?
    5) What storyline do you wish for Xander in S9?
    6) SlayAlive will be having Scott Allie and Jeanty for a Q&A for the release of #1. What do you like to ask both of them about Xander?
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

I'm sorry for off-topic, but I saw the poster of "Hanzel and Gretel" and just couldn't resist to toy with my idea how Xander should look and act in season 9...

Comment

How funy!!
      Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thing is, Joss has pretty much made it clear that he's not remotely interested in the slightest in exploring any interaction whatosover between Xander and Faith, much less any kind of relationship at all.

I wonder why?

Comment

I do think a friendship between Xander and Faith will be very interesting. But I could see something in S3, not a friendship, but a twisted relationship with gender reversal in which Xander believes there's a connection between him and Faith and her just using him to get info for the Mayor.
          Made by Trickyboxes

Comment

Originally posted by Sosa lola View Post
            I do think a friendship between Xander and Faith will be very interesting. But I could see something in S3, not a friendship, but a twisted relationship with gender reversal in which Xander believes there's a connection between him and Faith and her just using him to get info for the Mayor.
            That would not have been a gender reversal, but another instance of the "femme fatale uses sex to manipulate men" trope.
            You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Originally posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
              That would not have been a gender reversal, but another instance of the "femme fatale uses sex to manipulate men" trope.
              James Bond is an unlikely femme fatale, but Sosa Lola just described 4/5ths of all relationships between him and the "Bond Girls".

It's a cute poster. I've always been a bit of a Xander/Faith mark, but I don't see what's so controversial that Joss might not have thought much of developing it very far. Doesn't mean I don't think it's lazy and annoying that Xander didn't make the list for Faith's Step 8, seeing as she tried to kill him for the crime of caring about her.
              sigpic
              Banner by LRae12

Comment

I figured Xander believing there's more to the sexual relationship - which is canon - is a gender reversal on its own. It's usually girls who think there's more to it than guys.
                Made by Trickyboxes

Comment

Originally posted by Sosa lola View Post
                  I figured Xander believing there's more to the sexual relationship - which is canon - is a gender reversal on its own. It's usually girls who think there's more to it than guys.
                  Exactly. This is what happened between them in canon, too, and it was a gender reversal of the stereotypical dynamic (Buffy/Parker being the non-reversed version) because Xander thought they had a "connection" and Faith just used him for sex - rather than using sex to get information or something else.
                  You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Exactly. This is what happened between them in canon, too, and it was a gender reversal of the stereotypical dynamic (Buffy/Parker being the non-reversed version) because Xander thought they had a "connection" and Faith just used him for sex - rather than using sex to get information or something else.
                    I'd have loved to have that storyline expanded on, mostly from the Xander side of it.
                    Made by Trickyboxes

Comment

Originally posted by Skippcomet View Post
                      Thing is, Joss has pretty much made it clear that he's not remotely interested in the slightest in exploring any interaction whatosover between Xander and Faith, much less any kind of relationship at all.

I wonder why?
                      Well they cleared up any issue they two might have had in S7 when she just shows up with Willow and no interaction at all is shown.

So there's no real issue between the two anymore.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sky View Post
                        I have so many problems with this article but what I disliked the most was "Xander getting a free pass for every mistake he makes."

That's not true and I already wrote five little drabbles about this:

Five Times Xander Didn't Get a Free Pass
                        Made by Trickyboxes

Comment

Hey Sosa Lola! Sorry if I offended you or any other member with posting that link. I didn't link it to make fun of Xander, and I don't agree with many things written there. My post was supposed to be a joke post (that's why I used emoticons, I even edited my post to add '''' so no people will take it seriously). I actually don't hate Xander. I consider him an ok guy, and enjoy some of his jokes very much. Like any other character he has both good and bad points. But that's what makes a character more interesting imo.

So everyone!
                          sigpic

Comment

Dragging this stuff over from the issue thread...

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                            I never said he was the lone voice of disaproval. But speaking for the group? Nope. Willow is quite clearly distressed by his tone ("Giles! Nobody is using the I statements!") and Giles shuts it down once it gets too hostile.
                            ... or when he sees they aren't getting anywhere anyway. He points out to quite vehement effect that he was not sticking up for her when he shuts her down harder and colder than Xander could have if he has spent the past two hours trying to come up with one and had a two foot tall pile of wadded up rejects.

Nobody had appointed Xander speaker for the group.
                            Nobody had to, just human group behavior. Someone wants to say all the hard and uncomfortable things and they don't have to anymore, they will usually sit idly by. Notice, nobody actually took him head on, nobody said to him "you are wrong to be interpreting all this the way you are" or words to that effect. Willow's protestations were to tone, not substance. Nobody voiced a word of dissent to the overall thrust of what Xander was getting at that I can find.
                            sigpic
                            Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                              ... or when he sees they aren't getting anywhere anyway.
                              "That's enough!" Giles is clearly unhappy with how heated things got.

Nobody had to, just human group behavior. Someone wants to say all the hard and uncomfortable things and they don't have to anymore, they will usually sit idly by. Notice, nobody actually took him head on, nobody said to him "you are wrong to be interpreting all this the way you are" or words to that effect. Willow's protestations were to tone, not substance. Nobody voiced a word of dissent to the overall thrust of what Xander was getting at that I can find.
                              Willow and Xander respond completely differently to the situation. Willow's too guilt-ridden about her own hurtful secrets to be pissed at Buffy. She relates to what Buffy is going through ("You were scared, you kept a secret, you know?") and accomponies Buffy to the cemetery. Xander's incredibly pissed off and goes shoot pool alone. That's the difference between them. Willow can't muster the moral outrage Xander can because she's been cheating on Oz with Xander behind the group's back. It doesn't even occur to Xander to relate his infidelity with Buffy's secret (I wonder if Cordy would still have had his back had she known what he was up to?) and he takes the moral high ground. I don't really know how you equate that with them being on the same page about this?

Not to mention that tone matters. Tone is the difference between making snide remarks that Buffy will give Angel another "happy" and telling Buffy you're concerned about her and want to help. It's the difference between getting hostile and trying to storm out of the library and making an effort to ensure that nobody is being attacked and ganged up on. Willow and Xander are polar opposites in this episode which is why they elicit two completely different reactions (from both Buffy and fans).
                              Last edited by vampmogs; 31-03-13, 02:36 PM.
                              "The earth is doomed!" - Banner by Nina

Comment

Working...
                              X