Spuffy in Season 9 (2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shipperx View Post

A quixotic attempt at unscrewing a pooch?
    As I said exactly. Listening on the wrong port at the wrong IP address. The robot plot was exclusively Joss, same as his interview with 'it will be rooted in the verse lore'. From which sentence it is a quick and logical step that the Buffy-bot version 2 is rooted in the verse's lore - i.e in the Buffy-bot version 1 origins. Which make the plot specifically designed by Joss to highlight Spuffy inS9. Add here all the promises 'worth waiting for' - ie moment at the pool and the 'you are my darkplace' and you got your Spuffy plot reasons and definitions in S9 laid on a plate with a blue edge. To provide Spike with an eye-opener and a new direction. ( Yes, I know I am that person, which does not, btw, make my constructions any less logical.)

They kinda went out of their way alienating a segment of fans last 'season' (starting with Allie's infamous SlayAlive brouhaha).
    Blame it on SA's innocence more than his badwill towards 'particular segment of the fandom'. He could not have expected his honesty to translate into alienation so irrevocably. He even made a few attempts to explain himself ( "cannot give you what Joss does not think is right for the characters" - and it did not work. )

I'm thinking they thought this was a bit of pandering acting as damage control. I HOPE they didn't think it was substantive because... it kind of wasn't.
    It was a bit of pandering true, but also all that JW planned for this season. Don't blame the Dark Horse, if you need to blame somebody. Be honest and blame Joss.
    Last edited by dorotea; 25-06-13, 01:10 AM.
    “Personally, I kind of want to slay the dragon” ranks as probably the best next-to-last line in TV history. (Granted, I’m not exactly sure what the competition is.) -- A.V. Club

Comment

• Originally posted by dorotea View Post
      As I said exactly. Listening on the wrong port at the wrong IP address. The robot plot was exclusively Joss, same as his interview with 'it will be rooted in the verse lore'. From which sentence it is a quick and logical step that the Buffy-bot version 2 is rooted in the verse's lore - i.e in the Buffy-bot version 1 origins. Which make the plot specifically designed by Joss to highlight Spuffy inS9. Add here all the promises 'worth waiting for' - ie moment at the pool and the 'you are my darkplace' and you got your Spuffy plot reasons and definitions in S9 laid on a plate with a blue edge. To provide Spike with an eye-opener and a new direction. ( Yes, I know I am that person, which does not, btw, make my constructions any less logical.)

Blame it on SA's innocence more than his badwill towards 'particular segment of the fandom'. He could not have expected his honesty to translate into alienation so irrevocably. He even made a few attempts to explain himself ( "cannot give you what Joss does not think is right for the characters" - and it did not work. )

It was a bit of pandering true, but also all that JW planned for this season. Don't blame the Dark Horse, if you need to blame somebody. Be honest and blame Joss.

I didn't know you were sitting in on the writers meetings and planning sessions. You don't find it at all strange that your Spuffy ending theory (planned by Joss of cause) sounds like Bangel fanfic and wish thinking.

The fact is your constant doom and gloom theories for Spike and Spuffy come from you and your bias rather than the text. What you fail to realize is that the writers don't have your shipper bias and overblown distaste for Spike and Spuffy.

And you trying to imply that joss had anything to do with your proposed end of Spuffy. Something which you cannot know and for which there is no evidence is exactly why we don't lend any credence to you preaching the end of Spuffy.

Cheer up you might get lucky and this could be the end of Spuffy. But then so might we, and twilight could be the end of Bangel.

Comment

• Originally posted by shipperx View Post
        I think we're supposed to pretend that we know nothing about what people post elsewhere (even though we obviously do know)...
        Really? I'd edit my comment, but judging by the latest comment in the thread, it seems a bit redundant.

Originally posted by shipperx
        I just think they're displaying being out of ideas almost unilaterally across the board with virtually every character.
        True.

They kinda went out of their way alienating a segment of fans last 'season' (starting with Allie's infamous SlayAlive brouhaha). I'm thinking they thought this was a bit of pandering acting as damage control. I HOPE they didn't think it was substantive because... it kind of wasn't.
        No, nothing will help with that. It's pretty clear that they're not keen on shippers in general, though. Allie may have a personal distaste for Spuffy, but I don't think he (or anyone else involved in the project, from Joss on down) has much time for 'shippers in general.

Which is okay. You can't write for particular interest groups. But if you're going to go out of your way to alienate those groups, you need to make sure you have a strong product to keep the general interest. And they haven't.

A&F at least has a cohesive plot and active protagonist. That has a way of making it appear as though things are happening and makes it easier to read. That said, analysing for five minutes makes its flaws obvious as well.
        Yes, it's so facile.

I did actually re-read Buffy season 9 at one point (during the Guarded arc, I think). I found it less awful than I'd thought the first time. Not good, but less awful. A&F, on the other hand, when I tried to re-read that (which, as you say appears better on the surface and has better art) I found so dull I couldn't even get through the first arc.

Comment

• I did actually re-read Buffy season 9 at one point (during the Guarded arc, I think). I found it less awful than I'd thought the first time. Not good, but less awful. A&F, on the other hand, when I tried to re-read that (which, as you say appears better on the surface and has better art) I found so dull I couldn't even get through the first arc
          It's interesting. I can watch Buffy over and over again. I watch snippets before I got to bed, and when I get dressed in the morning.

But I have tried to do Angel re-watches, and I just struggle to get through them. I enjoy the first two seasons, then it starts to feel like a chore until Season 5.

I never get tired of Buffy.

Even if Angel and Faith were the better comic than Buffy, I am still going to care more about Buffy I guess.

Comment

• Season 1 AtS doesn't do much for me. (Though I cheered when Wes arrived.)

I really liked Seasons 2 & 3 though.

Season 4 had... issues.

And Season 5 did too, but it had Spike... so there's that.

Originally Posted by shipperx
            I think we're supposed to pretend that we know nothing about what people post elsewhere (even though we obviously do know)...
            Originally posted by Morphia View Post
            Really? I'd edit my comment, but judging by the latest comment in the thread, it seems a bit redundant.
            Personally, I think it shows heroic restraint on your part not to re-post some of the OTT splooge that's been posted elsewhere simply to illustrate your point.

Go you!
            Last edited by shipperx; 25-06-13, 07:54 PM.
            Learning Experience: "...one of those things that says, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
            ~Douglas Adams

Comment

• Originally posted by Xane View Post
              Even if Angel and Faith were the better comic than Buffy, I am still going to care more about Buffy I guess.
              Me too. AtS is great and all, but BtVS is a better show by far. And I know that the A&F comic gets lots of praise, but it doesn't, IMO, stand up to a re-read. Really, it's not that much better than the Buffy comic.

Comment

• All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0g5vQsSiF8

This is especially for those who haven't seen BtVS S6 dailies. I still want the "Out of My Mind" (B 5.04) dailies. I'd like ALL the BtVS dailies, but especially all Buffy/Spike dailies.

Comment

Working...
                X