No announcement yet.

Spuffy in Season 9 (2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll spoil it, there is no Spuffy in this issue.
    Sorry to ruin it for you guys

Banner by Moscow Watcher

Comment

Originally posted by zianna View Post
      Damn.
      Well, thanks. Still have time to change my expectations to another place. I'm sure I'll enjoy the issue anyway

Comment

Originally posted by zianna View Post
        Ha, well that was always an acknowledged possibility. It doesn't spoil anything, just delays it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rihannon View Post
          Damn.
          Well, thanks. Still have time to change my expectations to another place. I'm sure I'll enjoy the issue anyway
          Leyki's review makes me hopeful about this issue. It turns out that Spike doesn't cross paths with Buffy, but instead goes straight to Dawn. Yay for that! Only four panels, but still -- it's a great move to get Spike responding directly to Dawn. Come what may, it's a hint of liberation for my guy.

Will be happily waiting up to see for myself. Meanwhile, batten down the hatches on the Xander front. I'm hoping it all makes sense.
          sigpic
          "I don't want to be this good-looking and athletic. We all have crosses to bear." Banner Credit: Vampmogs

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
            Leyki's review makes me hopeful about this issue. It turns out that Spike doesn't cross paths with Buffy, but instead goes straight to Dawn. Yay for that! Only four panels, but still -- it's a great move to get Spike responding directly to Dawn. Come what may, it's a hint of liberation for my guy.
            Yay! indeed.
            And thanks. Sounds great, now I'm really looking forward.

Comment

I did want to say, yay! Spike/Dawn scene. Here's hoping for more of that.
              Learning Experience: "...one of those things that says, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
              ~Douglas Adams

Comment

In addition to being a complete puddle of goo about the "better than you think, luv" panel, I do like that they made a point of pivoting off Spike's loaded use of the word "she". It's certainly been a heavy-handed theme in the comics (including Lynch's) that Spike uses the word reverentially to refer to Buffy. This shift is almost certainly what the mini was intended to set up, and yay for that. (ETA: and kudos to Stoney for being right on the money about this). Spike will no longer think of Buffy first and any others at a very, very distant second. That really is a necessary step if there is to be any Spuffy down the road. And while I think the comics exaggerated this tendency in Spike -- I'd say season 7 also gave us a Spike who really had Buffy and only Buffy on his radar as Person of Interest. Here, Spike's not only focusing on Dawn -- he doesn't even slow down on the news that Buffy is off adventuring (and possibly in need of assistance). That's her project. His is to check on Dawn.

It's a win-win. Necessary if there's to be Spuffy down the road. Necessary if Spike is to be in a non-Spuffy Buffy story down the road.
                Last edited by Maggie; 09-05-13, 06:26 PM.
                sigpic
                "I don't want to be this good-looking and athletic. We all have crosses to bear." Banner Credit: Vampmogs

Comment

I loved the Spuffy stuff in the first ten issues of season 9 and remain hopeful for the future.

The only thing that deflated me was Spike's getting his own mini and worry about where he fits into 10.
                  sigpic

Comment

The Buffy news thread didn't seem the place for this, so anyway:

According to Andrew Chambliss, Spike is over 'pining for Buffy' and if he had gone to help her in England, he would have been asking himself why he always goes running when she calls.

Dark Horse really are hammering home the message that Buffy is a horrible user and Spike should 'man up' and tell her where to go, aren't they?

Not that it surprises me. I've known all along that they were trying to get people to stop 'shipping the couple. Can't do it any other way? Have Buffy treat Spike like c**p. That'll do it.

Boy, they really have thrown Buffy's character under a bus this season.

Comment

More like they realize they have to clear that malfunction in their interaction so that when they drop them on us as the status couple purely to please their fans, no man will be able to say it's just Buffy using him and him being her plaything.
                      sigpic
                      Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by Morphia View Post
                        The Buffy news thread didn't seem the place for this, so anyway:

According to Andrew Chambliss, Spike is over 'pining for Buffy' and if he had gone to help her in England, he would have been asking himself why he always goes running when she calls.

Dark Horse really are hammering home the message that Buffy is a horrible user and Spike should 'man up' and tell her where to go, aren't they?

Not that it surprises me. I've known all along that they were trying to get people to stop 'shipping the couple. Can't do it any other way? Have Buffy treat Spike like c**p. That'll do it.

Boy, they really have thrown Buffy's character under a bus this season.
                        I don't know that they intend it as Buffy criticism. At least not in relation to Spike. I don't think they like her very much and certainly rescuing Angel's reputation is higher on their priority list. But I think the company plank is that Spike is 'beneath her'. That he needs to 'get over it'. And that's all it ever was or will ever be. He 'isn't worthy'. After all he started as a bad guy. He needs to have been introduced as a 'good guy'* in title and class designation to meet specs (* apocalyptic walks on the dark side are irrelevant if 'hero' classification appeared in a character's intro.) What matters is dibs.
                        Last edited by shipperx; 21-06-13, 04:56 PM.
                        Learning Experience: "...one of those things that says, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
                        ~Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by shipperx View Post
                          I don't know that they intend it as Buffy criticism. At least not in relation to Spike. I don't think they like her very much and certainly rescuing Angel's reputation is higher on their priority list. But I think the company plank is that Spike is 'beneath her'. Period. That he needs to 'get over it'. And that's all it ever was or will ever be. He 'isn't worthy'. After all he started as a bad guy. He needs to have been introduced as a 'good guy'* in title and class designation to meet specs (* apocalyptic walks on the dark side are irrelevant if 'hero' classification appeared in a character's intro.) What matters is dibs.
                          Yep. That sounds about right.

It would irritate me less if I thought they had the least idea what to do with him if he's not around Buffy, but the mini series and A&F made it pretty plain they don't.

hrug:

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                            More like they realize they have to clear that malfunction in their interaction so that when they drop them on us as the status couple purely to please their fans, no man will be able to say it's just Buffy using him and him being her plaything.
                            I'm going to assume you're joking, because, after how the've been written during the series, I honestly can't believe that anyone could say this and mean it.

Comment

I'm going to assume you're joking, because, after how the've been written during the series, I honestly can't believe that anyone could say this and mean it.
                              And I've honestly been puzzled about the Spuffy persecution thing for... literally years now. Pretty much from the happy event of Spike's rock star return in Season 8, I've seen nothing but a foregone conclusion that they were going to repay the faith and patience by having Buffy and Spike be the default status couple of the franchise for at least a solid good while. They just still have enough self-respect to try to contrive working up to it a bit, they won't just hand it over like it's a straight up 'ship fic. But probably all of Season 10 and maybe a little bit beyond, it'll be Canon Spuffy rainbow cat.

Then it will be Angel's turn again, because Team Buffyverse's imagination when it comes to Buffy's love life is sort of like the music selection at Bob's Country Bunker --

"Uh, what kind of romantic options does the Buffy usually have around here?"
                              "Oh, she's got both kinds, she's got both Spike and Angel!"
                              sigpic
                              Banner by LRae12

Comment

Yep. That sounds about right.

It would irritate me less if I thought they had the least idea what to do with him if he's not around Buffy, but the mini series and A&F made it pretty plain they don't.

hrug:
                                To be fair, at this point, I don't think they have any idea of what to do with Buffy... or Xander... or Dawn...or Faith...or....well, anyone, basically.
                                ~Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
                                X