No announcement yet.

Buffy Season 9 News Thread (2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's not forget it's possible that there isn't really any "Othello" themed angle to this story at all

I'm not expecting Spike back until the last couple issues anyway, because I think what story there is for him (which nobody should be confused I'm expecting the nature of to be) will be in the denouement of the season, not in resolving this whole Severin/Simone/time travel/Deeper Well/betrayal thing.
    sigpic
    Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
      The Jeanty one for #21 is a team shot, I wouldn't say that Xander is looking in peril in that one beyond all three of them looking ready to fight. His watch is very visible in both that cover and the one for #22 which makes me think his agenda is still on the time travel fix (though that is probably reading into it too much perhaps).
      I'm referring the the cover we have a screencap of from the one convention. I'd like to get a better look at it but it seems to be that Xander is sitting up on the ground whereas the other two people, presumably Buffy and Willow, are in more of an action pose. It looks like he might be clutching his arm.
      Last edited by PointMan; 12-04-13, 04:13 AM.
      “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
        Let's not forget it's possible that there isn't really any "Othello" themed angle to this story at all
        I don't think Xander is a good match for Iago personally, he was angry about being passed for promotion and was one of the most villainous characters you ever will meet. I just thought his racist 'tupping' comment amusingly fitted to the inter-species S8 antics and what he is agreeing to try and stop.

I'm not expecting Spike back until the last couple issues anyway, because I think what story there is for him (which nobody should be confused I'm expecting the nature of to be) will be in the denouement of the season, not in resolving this whole Severin/Simone/time travel/Deeper Well/betrayal thing.
        He is on the cover in both versions for #22, one being just him and Buffy, the other with the gang, he will be back then, possibly end #21.

Originally posted by PointMan View Post
        I'm referring the the cover we have a screencap of from the one convention. I'd like to get a better look at it but it seems to be that Xander is sitting up on the ground whereas the other two people, presumably Buffy and Willow, are in more of an action pose. It looks like he might be clutching his arm.
        Ah, sorry, I have dismissed that as it was way too bleary to see anything for sure. Especially not his watch!!

Comment

Ah, sorry, I have dismissed that as it was way too bleary to see anything for sure. Especially not his watch!!
          Watch? Granted, its a bleary image as you said, but if you zoom in on it you can clearly see that the person on the left has an eyepatch, and there is only one person i know of that fits that description. The rest is an educated guess based on what can be deduced the image.
          “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by PointMan View Post
            Watch?
            I was referring to my light speculation from before about the covers of #22 and #23...
            His watch is very visible in both that cover and the one for #22 which makes me think his agenda is still on the time travel fix (though that is probably reading into it too much perhaps).

Granted, its a bleary image as you said, but if you zoom in on it you can clearly see that the person on the left has an eyepatch, and there is only one person i know of that fits that description. The rest is an educated guess based on what can be deduced the image.
            Yeah, I thought you could tell it was the three but it is hard to say he is in peril it is so bleary. But I suppose if Willow has got her magic on it is likely. That would be the third(?) cover of essentially the same thing though, the three together in some fighting stance. Was it definitely for an issue and not a TPB?

Comment

Yeah, I thought you could tell it was the three but it is hard to say he is in peril it is so bleary. But I suppose if Willow has got her magic on it is likely. That would be the third(?) cover of essentially the same thing though, the three together in some fighting stance. Was it definitely for an issue and not a TPB?
              Dunno, do they dual cover TPB's? Anyway, I read it as being injured because of how he's positioned, sitting up on the ground is a non action pose whereas the other two seem to be in action poses. Again, just my spec and I could turn out to be completely wrong.

Comment

Nah I think you are right about the TPBs, I don't think they do multiple covers. It is just surprising to keep doing the same format for the covers, perhaps it is just that they don't want to give much away now so we just get the different fight settings perhaps, with the watch of course.

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                  I hope not. Reminds me too much of an essay on LJ that came out during Season Eight's second year by a Buffy/Angel 'shipper about how Xander is "the Iago of the Buffyverse." It was, needless to say, not a love letter to the character.

Hopefully will get my copy this weekend.

Comment

I'm curious to know *how* Buffy figures out this betrayal. Assuming she'd never suspect Xander of swiping the book for Severin and Simone how exactly does she deduct it was him?!

Does Billy figure it out? Does Andrew inadvertently figure it out and blurts it to Buffy? Or if the solicits say about Willow "good Willow stuff is coming up" suggest it's her new powers of cognition that figures out the culprit? For example, if Willow is able to see events as they happen like they showed in her miniseries...it's possible she's also able to know who took the book.

Comment

Just to let you know I've moved the last few posts from the Buffy Season 9 News Thread into a new thread. We are trying some things to help speed the forum up for everyone.

Comment

Nikki, is this the new thread? It's only two pages of replies in it so is this it?

Comment

Originally posted by DorothyFan1 View Post
                          Nikki, is this the new thread? It's only two pages of replies in it so is this it?
                          Yes I just took the last 2 pages of posts so people can keep the discussion going. We need to try and keep threads to less than 1000 posts, it should make a difference to the speed.

If you want a particular post from the old thread in here to reply to PM me and I can move it.

Comment

I'm curious to know *how* Buffy figures out this betrayal. Assuming she'd never suspect Xander of swiping the book for Severin and Simone how exactly does she deduct it was him?!
                            The curious part for me is 'why' the VAMPYR book, not who or how. Giles left it to Buffy at the time when he anticipated the Twilight crisis already.
                            Meaning the book somehow containt information on Twilight, the prophecy about the special Slayer (and the Vampire). One would think that Willow would want to have a peek at the book now that she is back, then again Willow is as distracted by the Dawn crisis as Buffy. I still don't see the link between the time-loping and the Deeper Well, although one might assume that Severin is going to try and tap into the power of the Old Ones sleeping there. Alternatively Willow might want to try tapping the same power source to save Dawn ? To restore magic - utilizing the Old Ones as basically sleeping batteries? Chambliss has a habit of dealing with plot holes and lapses by forgetting about them ( peanuts allergy ? 'Dawny does not have to know' ?) So I am not much into trying to anticipate dynamics of the story beyind the basic premise : Xander swipes the book, then S&S will give Buffy the evil overlord bwa-ha-ha speech at some point - disclosing who deprived her of the precious heirloom that she did not bother to open for er, about a year?
                            “Personally, I kind of want to slay the dragon” ranks as probably the best next-to-last line in TV history. (Granted, I’m not exactly sure what the competition is.) -- A.V. Club

Comment

Dorotea, I've had another look at that scene between Buffy and Willow. Doesn't it look familiar? Go back to ToYL and see the final confrontation between Buffy and Dark Willow.

I. They're on the rooftop. (Same as in this issue, right?)
                              2. Dark Willow had very little magic. (Willow says her powers are "limited" in this issue.)
                              3. The time of day they meet on that rooftop is the same as we saw in the Frayverse. Can you guess what time of day it is? Twilight.

As for why that Vampyr book is so important...someone speculated it's because it reveals the big secret on how to create a vampire from scratch.

What it all means is this...ToYL is still ticking down to that conclusion we saw when Buffy speared Dark Willow. Willow is still headed to Dark Willow.

Comment

Dorotea, I've had another look at that scene between Buffy and Willow. Doesn't it look familiar? Go back to ToYL and see the final confrontation between Buffy and Dark Willow.

I. They're on the rooftop. (Same as in this issue, right?)
                                2. Dark Willow had very little magic. (Willow says her powers are "limited" in this issue.)
                                3. The time of day they meet on that rooftop is the same as we saw in the Frayverse. Can you guess what time of day it is? Twilight.
                                Yup, they are mercilessly teasing the TOYL connection without giving away any new hints. And it is all connected to Twilight. Which I always pointed out that it was - because the time-hole on the NY rooftop was caused by the Twilight 'ripples' through time and space.

As for why that Vampyr book is so important...someone speculated it's because it reveals the big secret on how to create a vampire from scratch.
                                We already know from canon how to create a vampire from scratch - mix the blood of an Old One aka True Demon with that of a human. My guess is that's what Simone is trying to do - maybe the purple thing that jumps on B/W/X on cover 23 is Simone as uber-zompire?

Then either the S&S simply lied to Xander - and the book has no new info on how to revert Twilight, or the book has both info on the 'mixing one's blood with Older One's' and the info on the particulars of Twilight the prophecy.

What it all means is this...ToYL is still ticking down to that conclusion we saw when Buffy speared Dark Willow. Willow is still headed to Dark Willow.
                                It might, or it might not. And I want to once again point out that FDW might not be truly 'Dark', and may not be truly dying.
                                “Personally, I kind of want to slay the dragon” ranks as probably the best next-to-last line in TV history. (Granted, I’m not exactly sure what the competition is.) -- A.V. Club

Comment

Working...
                                X