Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buffy S11:Giles # 4 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. I still don't understand why they ditched Angel & Faith; I suppose there aren't many fans of Faith who want to read about her - away from Buffy and an imaginary ship.
    I think they may have ditched Faith because they didn't feel there was anywhere to go with her. She was now 'good' and Angel already fulfilled that redemptive role, they didn't need Faith to show that struggle. I would have liked Angel & Faith to continue, but I can't see what new stories they could tell, that couldn't be told elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by betta View Post
      I don't think it was an attempt to encourage sales; I believe Gage wanted to tell something about Spike, and for that story it was needed a friend, an old friend of his, human, normal, so he used Dylan.
      Yes, I got how they used the character, the point of having someone appear from Spike's past (I think they even stated that they wanted someone who wasn't at all related to Angel, Buffy or Dru), but Gage might as well have invented his own character as he didn't even stick to the exact details of JM's story about their history. There's no denying that there was a benefit to DH of doing this instead, so if people felt like they wanted to know about this person themselves they could buy the other book that DH had produced. A book that they had falsely claimed fitted in canon which surely was to increase the sales. I'm sorry but it was very substandard and I feel very cynical about how they tried to link it to canon both falsely in the original promotion and then by pulling in the character despite not even matching the facts of the story she came from precisely. But I don't have an issue with the idea of a character appearing like that. Where I get grumbly is when any weight or importance is put onto the source material for her when it was so poor and wasn't/isn't canon, the latter they have said about it themselves. It was just so damn expensive and falsely promoted and abusing the loyalty of the fans really grates with me.

Last edited by Stoney; 28-05-18, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by betta View Post

No, it wasn't. Giles mini has lots for you to think about, and interesting new characters (albeit the disappointing ending, with not much pay off); Angel S11 is just empty of meaning - I still can't accept a Mighty Merciless Old One chitchatting, or a regular looking flower to be considered so weird and menacing that it induces a time travel.
        I'd say the entirety of S11 Angel is to remind us of and demonstrate Illyria's time travel abilities. It's stupid but at least there's a point. The Giles mini ultimately does nothing. The only thing to think about is in trying to rationalize the asspulls with existing canon. Pretty much all it does is prevent a break in month to month Buffy books.

And it wasn't funny, Joss.

Yes, it has decreased, but let's not forget that now people go digital...
        There's been nothing to suggest digital takes from physical copies. The opposite, actually. Physical sales go up while digital stagnate or decrease. The proof is ultimately in the pudding. If they were still selling, this wouldn't be the last season, the titles wouldn't be reduced to 4 issues and they wouldn't have shortened Angel S10.

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
          How much do you know about African-American writing? About African-American culture and its Arts Movements? If you know anything about it, you need to read Giles. Honestly, I'm stunned by it. The level of detail - the complexity - goes far beyond anything I saw in the TV series - and far beyond anything I'm prepared to articulate here. I haven't figured everything out (I don't think you're meant to) but I think it's awesome.
          I just picked up my Giles comics yesterday. Assuming i survive jury duty, i know what i will read next!

Comment

Originally posted by DeepBlueJoy View Post
            I just picked up my Giles comics yesterday. Assuming i survive jury duty, i know what i will read next!
            Ha...Good luck! It's driving me round the bend. It occurred to me the 'verse's definition of magic is very euro-centric. For instance - would Dracula be one of Roux's forefathers? I wonder to what extent we have to take African and African American ideas/myths into account?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
              Ha...Good luck! It's driving me round the bend. It occurred to me the 'verse's definition of magic is very euro-centric. For instance - would Dracula be one of Roux's forefathers? I wonder to what extent we have to take African and African American ideas/myths into account?
              As someone from an afro carribbean background. I am deeply aware of how important those cultural and religous touchstones remain throughout the African diaspora. Genetically we know Africa is the root of life on the planet, so magics should reflect this. The series was overly eurocentric, but the slayer origin was handled adequately even tho' some disliked the 1st slayer look and the shadow men were not hugs or kitties - but IMO, saving the world cannot be made nonpainful

Comment

Thought this was interesting.Erika Alexander who co-wrote the Giles miniseries with Joss is joining the cast of Black Lightning for season 2.

https://www.newsarama.com/42179-blac...er-report.html

I really loved the first season of the show.
                Last edited by BAF; 05-10-18, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X