Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No HTML

HTML is turned off for security reasons.

Please do not use html in your posts or messages. If you are copy and pasting something from another website and you are having problems with it showing, then it may have html in it. This could be in the form of a website link or a viewable image or an emoji or a special chacter. I am not sure this is the reason we have errors posting.

Some html code can be simply swapped with our Bulletin Board code by changing the greater than/ less than signs with bracket signs. Other BB code needs to done using the buttons in the advanced post editor.
2 of 2 < >

Home Page

The home page address has changed to: http://buffyforums.net/forums/
Please update your bookmark. Otherwise, the home page does not show you are logged in and/or will not let you type into the log in box in the top right. The link at Buffyforums.net to the forums has not yet been updated. So you will experience the error when you enter the forum through that link.
See more
See less

Buffy S11:Giles # 1 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    S1: In comic form, talking like it's 1991, starring Teen!Giles.

    Comment


    • #17
      None of this bodes very well for Buffy S12

      Comment


      • #18
        And you're surprised at this?

        I one of those who think Whedon lost the plot when it comes to writing the Buffyverse.

        I've read this issue now, and all I can say is thats 5 minutes of my life I'm not gonna get back.
        Last edited by Silver1; 01-03-18, 11:27 AM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
          And you're surprised at this?

          I one of those who think Whedon lost the plot when it comes to writing the Buffyverse.

          I've read this issue now, and all I can say is thats 5 minutes of my life I'm not gonna get back.
          Well I like to think positively and hope that after S8 Whedon has learnt to restrain himself

          I haven't read it yet, so I can't comment, but I am worried by the negative reaction. Can it be saved in the remaining three issues, or is it downhill from here?

          Comment


          • #20
            I've also read the issue and I am as apathetic towards it as I expected to be. I neither loved nor hated it. I really had no interest in the premise of this story (teenage Giles, high school mystery, any of it really...) so I always knew that I was unlikely to enjoy this. I only read the issue because I was curious to read a comic by Whedon again but I think teenage!Giles is one of the lamest ideas he has come up with in the comics so I wasn't looking forward to it at all.

            I agree that the issue was hard to follow. I had to re-read several pages to understand what was happening and to be honest, I'm still not sure that I do. I didn't hate the dialogue as much as others did but it was definitely too try-hard and at times too convoluted. That said, it was refreshing to read a comic that wasn't as dumbed down as Gage's work.

            It's a pity that Whedon now has to try so hard to make characters "sound" like teenagers. I can't tell if it's because of his age or that his writing has simply gotten worse but he seems to have forgotten his own lesson back in BtVS S1 when he invented "Buffy speak" rather then try and mimic how teenagers were speaking at the time. He said how he didn't want to do that because it would sound too forced and because it would date the show, but it feels like he's doing the exact opposite now. This read like a really desperate caricature of teenagers rather than how teenagers actually speak or interact with each other.

            My biggest criticism of the issue is that Giles didn't sound remotely like himself. If you had given me the dialogue of his inner monologues and asked me to guess which character it was meant to have been I'd never have said Giles. This actually really surprised me because in S8 Whedon was pretty much the only writer that actually managed to capture Giles' voice without making him sound like a stereotypical rigid, posh old fuddy-duddy. And I get that Giles is supposed to be somewhat different but it felt like I was reading about a new character entirely.

            And I HATE how the comics have retconned Giles into being this badass sorcerer. I rolled my eyes when Giles used magic to fight off Roux when he never EVER did this in the show. He was a dabbler at best in the TV Show and he never used magic to fend off vampires.

            And I agree that how they have defanged vampires is really lame. I don't think it was quite as bad as I was expecting as they did make it clear that Roux would usually be an enemy, but still.

            I just don't have any interest to keep reading. There was nothing about the story that would ever make me want to buy this comic or make me excited to read the next issue.
            Last edited by vampmogs; 01-03-18, 12:29 PM.
            - "The earth is doomed" -

            Comment


            • #21
              So I've been looking at my own posts from the reveal thread because I'm a shameless braggart and, it seems that, I was right. And that's hardly ever a good thing.

              Oh well, he'll fail, it'll be painfully not hilarious and then I'll laugh!
              Well, I'm not laughing.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                Well I like to think positively and hope that after S8 Whedon has learnt to restrain himself

                I haven't read it yet, so I can't comment, but I am worried by the negative reaction. Can it be saved in the remaining three issues, or is it downhill from here?
                It's got nothing to do with restraint. It's a wandering book with poor characterization of the one character that's supposed to ground it. Of all the HS stories to retell, why Bad Eggs?

                Also vampires are still very not evil anymore.
                Last edited by HardlyThere; 01-03-18, 08:30 PM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  And no...I have nothing. I had a fair idea of where A11 was going after #2. This - I read it quickly so maybe I missed something - IDK, more importantly, I don't care.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                    And no...I have nothing. I had a fair idea of where A11 was going after #2. This - I read it quickly so maybe I missed something - IDK, more importantly, I don't care.
                    I know that if you TriBel can't come up with a reasoned and thoughtful explanation for what happens in this comic, that means it really isn't worth reading. That makes me sad

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                      I know that if you TriBel can't come up with a reasoned and thoughtful explanation for what happens in this comic, that means it really isn't worth reading. That makes me sad
                      There was just nothing for me to hang an idea on. I wondered whether to google the song lyrics (if it isn't Leonard or something from 70s through to the 90s I'm out of my depth) but I couldn't work up the enthusiasm. Sorry! By way of a comparison, I've just spent 30 mins checking on the Brandenburg Concerto because it's playing at the beginning of Storyteller. Oh...Spike's silly costume in Tabula Rasa? I've decided it references English detectives (Sherlock's hat, Poiret's bow-tie and Rand(y)all and Hopkirk (deceased) - I'm only half-joking! But this - absolutely nothing!
                      Last edited by TriBel; 02-03-18, 01:04 AM.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Wow. Finally read Giles #1 and all I can say is wow. It's trippy and poetic and I have no idea who this guy is but it isn't Rupert Giles.

                        Who or what are the Webb Bros? That name is on a giant sign and on the trophies in the trophy cabinet. What is AIX? What is Blue Girl? There are interesting things here, and I like the art, but the writing is trying to be something meta but it just isn't good enough.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                          Wow. Finally read Giles #1 and all I can say is wow. It's trippy and poetic and I have no idea who this guy is but it isn't Rupert Giles.

                          Who or what are the Webb Bros? That name is on a giant sign and on the trophies in the trophy cabinet. What is AIX? What is Blue Girl? There are interesting things here, and I like the art, but the writing is trying to be something meta but it just isn't good enough.
                          Blue will probably be Roux's sister and probably a slayer.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by HardlyThere View Post
                            Blue will probably be Roux's sister and probably a slayer.
                            It's a definite possibility Blue is a slayer. But why doesn't she fight back? I think Roux could be her ancestor rather than her sister, as haven't we already seen a panel of Roux in the historic past?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              It's a definite possibility Blue is a slayer. But why doesn't she fight back? I think Roux could be her ancestor rather than her sister, as haven't we already seen a panel of Roux in the historic past?
                              Because she'd end up in the camp, probably.

                              An ancestor, maybe. I just say sister because she says she has skin in the game and her name is Roux. And she knows French. Roux rhymes with Bleu. Roux=Red, Bleu=Blue.

                              I don't know about AIX. It could be some protection thing, keeping magic people from being seen, which could explain how the monster of the piece is able to stay hidden.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by HardlyThere View Post
                                Because she'd end up in the camp, probably.

                                An ancestor, maybe. I just say sister because she says she has skin in the game and her name is Roux. And she knows French. Roux rhymes with Bleu. Roux=Red, Bleu=Blue.

                                I don't know about AIX. It could be some protection thing, keeping magic people from being seen, which could explain how the monster of the piece is able to stay hidden.
                                Yes Roux is French for Red, which ties her to the Blue Girl. The Blue Girl is still at school, and the slayers were being used as guards for the safe zone, I think Buffy is the only slayer who went into the camps as an inmate. If Blue is a slayer she has no reason not to use her powers as she's too young to be a guard (I guess)

                                In the image we see Roux picking cotton and using an old style sewing machine, so she's been around for a long time. Google tells me Aix means water I've no idea how that helps lol.

                                Why is the monster looking for its mother and what is the ex-NASA scientist doing at this run down school? And what a coincidence that he's a friend of Giles. I've got so many questions

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X