Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buffy S11:Giles # 1 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffy S11:Giles # 1 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

The issue comes out tomorrow so I'm opening the issue thread.

I've got mine on order, but it always takes a few days to get to me, so I'll be trying to avoid spoilers. I really hope it's a good story

Comment

I'll buy the digital, but not until I've finished Smashed or I'll get even more distracted than usual, than I am right now in fact. *sigh*

Comment

I did a quick read - as I thought, the high school scenario is not of my liking: classes, bullies, going to the principal office, crushing on the pretty girl (yes, Giles thought Roux was hot right off the bat). I need to read it again to see how I feel about the story/writing.

One of the songs (Cucurrucucu Paloma) are by Brazilian singer Caetano Veloso (but he sings it in Spanish, not in Portuguese).
        My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

sigpic

Comment

It seems like Dark Horse doesn’t want my money again. I guess I’ll just have to wait until it’s uploaded elsewhere.

Comment

Just bought it for the ipad. Which means 6/7 different people linked to my account can read it. Which, in turn, means I can kid myself I'm bringing down Global Capitalism. I'll get the TPB in September (if it's any good). Sigh - which means I'm supporting capitalism by buying the same thing twice. Why is revolution so hard?
            sigpic

Comment

I didn’t like it at all. Normally Joss is good with dialogue. Why can’t the characters just talk like normal people?

Also the mixtape is so gimmicky. I shouldn’t need music to enjoy a comic. A good writer/director in any medium should be able to take advantage of what the medium offers. Sound is not one of the advantages of a comic book. It would be like being halfway through a novel and then the author tells you to go watch a movie before you read the rest of the book. Or you’re at the cinema when the usher walks in, hands you a controller and tells you that the rest of the movie is now a video game. Maybe the songs will enhance the experience of the comic, I don’t know, but I’m not a fan. I should be able to enjoy the comic without music, which I didn’t. Also, reading a single page doesn’t take the same time it would take to listen to a track, so I’m not sure how that’s meant to work?

I only kinda rushed through it, maybe the book deserves a more thorough read. What was up with the scene of everyone jumping around on that yellow rope trampoline thing? Why was Roux’s name written on the roof? I really hope Roux looking after the girl in the blue hoodie isn’t a racial thing.

Also, does anyone kill vampires anymore? Is that still a thing?
              Last edited by Vampire in Rug; 28-02-18, 05:52 PM.

Comment

An okay start. A bit jumpy in places as was said. The peaches and tightrope thing. So some weird tentacle demon has been feeding on people and Roux led some people to it but doesn't like doing so. She's looking out for Girl Blue for some reason. Demon has disappeared or brainwashed most of the staff and is effecting the students. Part of the school was a bomb-shelter that's protecting the one girl whose gone a bit loopy from seeing everything that nobody else can like the time slow down in the cafeteria.

Comment

I think this issue was mostly confusing. I'll give it another read or two and hopefully have some more thoughts but first impressions? Not positive. It's messy, it's confusing and there's way, way too much text on non-action pages. Also, it's, like, devoid of fun. No funny lines whatsoever. And it barely even works as a part of season 11. There's magic crackdown, safe zone, mass surveillance, police state etc but a demon whatever and a vampire are running around high school unnoticed? Not entirely happy with Giles' characterization either. I'm disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                    Just bought it for the ipad. Which means 6/7 different people linked to my account can read it. Which, in turn, means I can kid myself I'm bringing down Global Capitalism. I'll get the TPB in September (if it's any good). Sigh - which means I'm supporting capitalism by buying the same thing twice. Why is revolution so hard?
                    When you buy something from the Buffy-verse, you are supporting the Buffy-verse and that can only be a good thing. I say BUY MORE BUFFY!

Comment

Following Dioynsus's hive-mind club scenes in WicDiv trade paperback were suitably trippy. So this isn't so bad though messy I admit.

Comment

This is the most bizarre thing I've read in my entire life. Seriously, how did the franchise fall so low? The writing tries so desperately to be cool and slick, but everything is artificial and stiff in the worst way. All the jokes fall flat. Look up? Got wood? Flava Flav? 99 problems?

The comics have let me down in the past, but I have never read anything so devoid of talent or joy. That must have been the weirdest depiction of bullying since Michael Jackson's music video for Bad.

Comment

Say what you will about Angel season 11, but at least Angel and Fred spoke like normal human beings -albeit human beings who were clearly trying to push a plot forward. I can’t tell you how much I hated the “clever” dialogue here. It’s like a whole issue of Restless. That episode worked because it was a dream and certain stuff was intentionally weird. I don’t care about any of the side characters either. Obviously the blue hoodie girl will become more important later. I’m gonna go slightly into spoilers, but from what we know of Giles character, wouldn’t the vampire reveal instantly kill his attraction?

Comment

Originally posted by Vampire in Rug View Post
                            I’m gonna go slightly into spoilers, but from what we know of Giles character, wouldn’t the vampire reveal instantly kill his attraction?
                            You would think so. Apparently, vampirism is just a character quirk now.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow from Buffy View Post
                              This is the most bizarre thing I've read in my entire life. Seriously, how did the franchise fall so low? The writing tries so desperately to be cool and slick, but everything is artificial and stiff in the worst way. All the jokes fall flat. Look up? Got wood? Flava Flav? 99 problems?

The comics have let me down in the past, but I have never read anything so devoid of talent or joy. That must have been the weirdest depiction of bullying since Michael Jackson's music video for Bad.
                              For the most part I took those as Giles trying to play the role of a teen though otherwise I'd agree if they're meant to be taken as normal.

Comment

Working...
                              X