Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buffy # 7 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffy # 7 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

First review and spoilerish for this week's Buffy # 7.Angel # 5 is also out this week.

http://wickedhorror.com/comics/comic...y-season-11-7/

Comic Review: Buffy Season 11 #7

ByNat Brehmer
    -
    May 22, 2017

In this issue, the season does the unthinkable by finally getting out of the Safe Zone—but in typical Buffy fashion, it doesn’t come without a huge cost. Be warned, there’s no way to discuss this issue without digging into spoiler territory. Having said that, here’s the main conflict of issue #7:

There’s a way out of the Safe Zone, and it’s just as terrible as you would expect from the kind of people who would make something like a supernatural internment camp to begin with. To get out of the Zone, you have to give up whatever supernatural energy you have inside of you. They spin this, of course, as “the thing that makes you a threat.”

For Buffy and Willow, that means completely changing their lifestyle, giving up the thing that makes them special. Buffy’s proven time and again in the comics that she does not want to give up her power the way that she did in the early years of the show. For Willow, it arguably means even more. In season nine, she did take a huge loss to her power and had to really fight to get it back.

Now she has a whole coven depending on her, she has people who look up to her and who she’s trying to protect. It’s almost shocking to see Willow telling people to give up their power so that they can be free. But Rebekah Isaacs completely conveys the clear pain that Willow is going through when she’s telling them that.

For Spike, though, something like this means death. With all of that supernatural energy removed, Spike’s just a corpse. There are several different kinds of demons that would not survive if they couldn’t be supernatural because their anatomy just wouldn’t work. The government insists that they’re “working on a solution” for that, but that’s all we get. I have no doubt that that will come into play later.

Another character who makes an unexpected appearance in this issue is Riley, along with his wife Sam. His conversation with Buffy is interesting because Riley is obviously siding with the government again. He’s doing what he’s told. He’s raising questions, but he believes he’s seeing the big picture and is trying to help. This is so frustrating, even if it’s completely in character for him. So that’s actually a nice touch, narratively.

There’s a great mix to the way the story is being handled in general, in that the plot is definitely starting to heat up, but things are still unfolding gradually. I’ll be interested to catch up with characters like Dawn, Xander and Giles again because we haven’t seen them in a few issues. They obviously haven’t gotten much focus when the action’s been contained to the inside.

After undergoing some major changes in this issue, I’m excited—and nervous—to see how things will go for Buffy and Willow on the outside.

WICKED RATING: 7/10

As usual, these are my first thoughts/reactions after a quick read through. No doubt there is plenty more that will start to occur to me on a reread and as it all seeps in a bit more!

I enjoyed the issue and really wanted to read on by the end. A month is definitely going to feel like a long wait this time. There was plenty going on and it did a fair enough job, for me, in building up some good old fashioned ominous tension. There are still plenty of general questions hanging over what the wider plan is from the Government. Are they really intending to eradicate the supernatural beings that they can't drain? Are they considering those that have avoided detection and detention too at all? Surely they can't believe that anyone involved in bringing the attack about has handed themselves over. Assuming draining the power is the benefit they are seeking from not just annihilating the camp, what are they really wanting to do with the power they are amassing? Is it simply that they need this stored, supernatural energy to power their mystery machine? Will that be able to detect/drain on a mass scale as Willow suggested? Etc.

The visit from Riley raised some more queries too. I mean, why did it matter to the Government to try and persuade Buffy to give up her power and leave? It seems like bringing Riley/Sam in was an extra effort that was totally unnecessary for them to make. I also noted that they didn't disagree with Buffy that she could be targeted by the supernatural and at risk on the outside and the risks that humans pose each other regardless was there in the reference to the second amendment. It isn't the case that the outside is suddenly seen as safe generally or, in truth, now supernatural free.

I'm not sure that Riley was giving all the information he knew to be honest. It could be possible that he knew they would be listened to and he needed Buffy to leave to be able to contact her with further information of course. The visit briefly raised the separation of the Government's actions on the worldwide stage. If the possibility of deporting Spike would truly be a consideration and Riley isn't just being strung along or foolish in thinking it would be considered. But it is hard to decipher if Riley is coming at this from the point of view of believing this response is the best way to handle the current situation the Government have created, or if he believes the response by the Government to the supernatural is the right thing for the greater good. It's possible that he would go along with plans the gang wouldn't, and he openly admits not everyone he is meeting is coming at it from the same stance he is. As much as I think you can trust that he truly believes in his advice and is trying to look out for Buffy, this doesn't mean his judgement will tie with what the others would think, and I still come back to why they felt getting Buffy to agree to be depowered was important enough to send people to persuade her. I'd be surprised if this is the last we see of Riley, but what role he would play is really very open at this point without knowing more about his perspective and the Government's plans.

As I've said before, the separation for Buffy/Spike is going to be tough just because they have been choosing to really intertwine their lives. It worked well that Buffy's reluctance was sustained and the conviction that she/Willow stand a better chance of breaking the camp even depowered on the outside made sense to push her to go. It was nice too though to see Willow's open concern for Spike when asking him to call before they left. If it wasn't for the future covers and the panels released by Jeanty I might have found Spike stopping Buffy telling him she loved him (presumably) with a 'tell me when we see each other again' ominous, but it wasn't on this front. Having said that, there is some foreboding generally there still as the distinction of him not being able to join her because of his nature was obviously played with them leaving without him, emphasised with him stood there in his hoodie (again the sunlight as an indicator for his 'monster' issues). As we know, this is always being used in his story so it could just be that, but it has been on a very heavy repeat this season, boosted with the constant references to his need for blood too through the current situation, and followed Buffy's earlier words about it needing to be something bigger than time apart that could break them up. So there is certainly potential for all of this to be foreshadowing a future event that we'll 'get' with hindsight. Or not, of course.

There were some nice lines in the script and I liked that they explored the mix of reactions in camp and a little of what the outside response is to this strategy through the press interview. The rights of asking this of the supernatural, of them being detained at all, and how it is generally being seen by those outside I'm hoping will be shown more next issue when Buffy and Willow are out and back with Dawn/Xander. I'm assuming Giles will have left to have created the possibility of the mini Joss was originally intending to write for him (although still no news on that that I'm aware of).

I have to say I'm somewhat dumbfounded that the other slayers were crowing so much at Buffy and aren't simply alarmed by the fact that she was made to relinquish her power in order to get to leave. Why is that not setting off warning bells for them? But Buffy was given her scythe back and we know it is connected to the slayer power, if only they can use it (and/or other mystical items). Couldn't Jordan feel that connection when holding it the same way that Buffy and Faith could? Perhaps the situation did set off alarms for her and she deliberately made sure Buffy got to keep the scythe, although that isn't where I'd place my bets at the moment to be honest. The fact that Dawn isn't lacking magic was raised too in the issue, so they aren't as depowered and empty-handed as they may seem.

Other little odd bits... I still haven't warmed to Calliope. I'm not really sure why. Also, and despite the line amusing me about his expression of not caring, I have to take issue with the werewolf having a chat with the new vamp during their fight in camp. Werewolves have always been portrayed as being basically aggression-driven animals. Even if there is the implication that they might be driven by the emotions of the human within the mix too somewhat (I'm thinking of Oz attacking Tara/Veruca), that is a huge leap away from being able to stop and have a chat. I'm just going to fanwank that the guy was a hitherto unknown variant, not actually a werewolf per se, but related, and he just refers to himself like that as shorthand. I know, it's a little on the weak side of the scale. I noted too that the new vamp had red eyes again. That's something the comics seem to keep going to as a variant now beyond just zompires. Oh, also I loved the art on the panel where Willow glares at Lake, brilliantly expressive.
    Last edited by Stoney; 24-05-17, 02:56 PM.

Comment

I'm assuming Giles will have left to have created the possibility of the mini Joss was originally intending to write for him (although still no news on that that I'm aware of).
      Maybe some news will come at Comic Con in July.A possible new factor on when/if we get the Giles miiseries is the fact Joss has now taking over directing Justice League in post production(as well as writing some new scenes) for Zack Snyder following the suicide of Snyder's daughter in March.The Snyders understandably needed to step away to focus on their family so Joss to finishing the film for them(it comes out in November)..

Very sad situation.With Joss finishing the Justice League movie and writing/directing Batgirl,I wonder if we'll still get the Giles mini.Again,maybe some news will come at Comkcic Con.
      Last edited by BAF; 24-05-17, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Another solid issue, packed with emotions. It’s time to make hard choices – to be inside the camp isn’t doing much good anymore; Buffy, Willow and Spike had already figured out what is the Government’s plans when the Secretary of the Supernatural Ophelia Reyes confirms it on TV: using a machine, the supernatural beings will be disempowered (only those who accept to be) and then be allowed to leave the camp.

For Willow and Buffy, is an option, but not for Spike – magic is what keeps a vampire walking and talking. Willow acknowledges that she – and Buffy – doesn’t really want to be a normal person, but she also doesn’t see any other option if they want to fight what is happening in America. Inside the camp, little they can do, so the Witch and the Slayer decide to take the deal, and be disempowered. Because surely, the machine that now is taking their powers is just a sample for the Big One, that that will wipe out all supernatural beings from America – or even the planet.

Guess who appears advocating for the Government? Riley (along with wife Sam). He seems pretty fine with Buffy being disempowered – maybe it’s a (unconscious) wish coming true? And Riley also offers to deport Spike to England… how nice of him: when all vampires become dust, it will happen away from Buffy’s eyes. Yeah, I know, how mean of me – but at this point of his life, Riley should know better, and not follow the party line so easily. Or, he is, again, an ally who can work from the inside and help Buffy and Co. I really don’t know.

Willow and Calliope seem to be in love with each other, but Will doesn’t want to start anything before Calliope breaks up with her girlfriend, and be sure that, outside the camp and away from Willow’s protection that makes her feel so safe, her feelings won’t change. I hope Calliope doesn’t have any hidden agenda – as I’ve been theorizing since the beginning – because it would be heartbreaking. She did accept to be disempowered and left the camp, so I’m giving her a vote of confidence.

Buffy and Spike… he is always supporting her, giving her strength to do what she knows she must do; Spike trusts that, even without powers, Buffy (as well as Willow) is smart and resourceful enough to figure out a solution. When she is about to leave the camp, he tells (again) he loves her; when she seems she will declare the same to him, he asks her to say it only when they meet again… As a hard core Spuffy, I’m sure she loves him, and the only thing that will prevent her to say that 3 little words is if… they don’t meet again.

Willow and Buffy leave the camp – and Jordan gives Buffy the Scythe - which is an object full of magic, the one that has made possible to awaken all the Slayers who are now so diligently working with the Government. Of course, one has to have power to use the Scythe like it was used before – or doesn’t?
        Last edited by betta; 24-05-17, 09:41 PM.
        My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

sigpic

Comment

* Buffy and Willow now give up their powers; Angel remains alive and continues on his adventure with Illyria; Spike remains in a concentration camp. No wonder the readership continues to dwindle.

* William Pratt (his surname has never been suggested to be anything else).

As a hard core Spuffy, I’m sure [Buffy] loves him
          What more proof does someone need?

Comment

What does Angel still being alive have to do with dwindling readership on the Buffy side? Both have lost about 1/3rd since S11 #1s. Angel is surprising it's only that because it's terrible on about every level. BTVS at least has decent art most of the time.

I figure it's a combination of natural fade and the story being, well, kinda boring. For only a 12 issue run, it lacks action. The political aspect is a turn-off and there is little danger to it. At most, something might happen in #12. The solicitations don't suggest it's going to pick up the pace, either.

Unpopular --> I think the HSY comics capture the different nuances of the show and 'verse moreso than S11.

Comment

The High School Years have been very enjoyable imo, the voices are captured really well. But they are designed to pad out an existing season with inconsequential but fun stories. They aren't going to disrupt canon and they seem to have been, so far, bite size introductions to some of the main themes of the season. A good way to draw people to watch the show many have suggested. They are well worth buying I think, but they don't deepen understanding of the characters from reading them or progress them in any way. That's fine, it isn't a criticism because it fits with what they are intended to do, it just limits how interesting they are and keeps them slotted into being a light/fun read.

I think this season is really interesting and the political side isn't a turn off for me. The metaphor bothers me in ways that we have discussed extensively already, but I am still enjoying S11. The meaning/significance tied around the scythe in this issue is looking interesting for how it might be used going forward, what the agenda is of whoever is steering this, what the gang are going to discover and how they are going to tackle it, all have some tension and intrigue at the moment for me. As I said, it isn't without issues, but I think it is a very enjoyable season so far.

I'm never really sure what to make of the figures as they are only of the hard copies as far as I'm aware and we are increasingly living in a digital world.

Comment

I don't mean canon disruption. It's the little comedic moments like Buffy flipping through the comic in the FCBD story. You can't translate the show 1:1 because no actors are there to sell it, so the comedic beats have to be transposed to a comic medium. The comics have been lacking that. As Joss said, do all the death and drama, then for god's sake, tell a joke. You don't get that, at least not effectively, so far in the post-series stuff.

The meaning/significance tied around the scythe in this issue is looking interesting for how it might be used going forward, what the agenda is of whoever is steering this, what the gang are going to discover and how they are going to tackle it, all have some tension and intrigue at the moment for me.
                It could be intriguing. Crossing the halfway point, we should be moving past could be intriguing and getting to the meat of it. The longer you wait, the higher the likelihood of the payoff not covering all the setup. It works for an episode like Fear Itself, but a whole season... It's looking more and more like we either won't find out who is behind it all or we do at the end and it's a massive cliffhanger. For something supposed to be raising the stakes, it really hasn't.

re: political turnoff. Your average reader loves fiction for a bit of an escape. Constant doom'n'glooming in a story heavily attempting to mirror RL scenarios doesn't go too well when it's all you see on the news. It's not a sole factor, but it does contribute.

Sales... We've been hearing about digital for years. The Diamond figures decline at a constant rate across the board. They're still a pretty good indicator, I think, especially given how reflected the interest (or lack thereof) shows itself in fandoms. Not that it matters. It seems DH has a package deal with Fox, so they'll keep making them. If you hold the license, there is no reason to not make comics.

Comment

I found this issue boring. I don't even feel like writing my usual impressions. I mean, I'll hammer it out eventually for posterity's sake but man, this is bad, this is really bad, I haven't felt like this since season nine. And it's not like the issue's terrible - it's decent, it's OK, pretty good actually but it's just so completely bland, you know? And this is me we're talking about here, me! I don't know, maybe I need to give it some more thought or something.

Comment

Originally posted by a thing of evil View Post
                    I found this issue boring. I don't even feel like writing my usual impressions. I mean, I'll hammer it out eventually for posterity's sake but man, this is bad, this is really bad, I haven't felt like this since season nine. And it's not like the issue's terrible - it's decent, it's OK, pretty good actually but it's just so completely bland, you know? And this is me we're talking about here, me! I don't know, maybe I need to give it some more thought or something.
                    Really? I love that it is dialogue heavy, and less fights - although there is the vamp x werewolf one.
                    My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

sigpic

Comment

@betta
                      Really? I love that it is dialogue heavy, and less fights - although there is the vamp x werewolf one.
                      It's not that - basically, there's just nothing particularly exciting or surprising in this issue. And I don't mind dialogue heavy issues - when the dialog is good. OK, Buffy and Spike have some fun sexy lines but that conversation between Buffy and Willow? It's trash. It's overwritten, there's no rhythm to it and for goodness' sake, Willow doesn't even talk like this. Willow doesn't make *speeches* at people. That's, like, exclusively Buffy's thing!

Man, the more I think about this issue, the more it pisses me off. Like that werewolf! Were-bunny, more like! And I know that werewolves traditionally look like crap in BtVS but come on, they were some proper beasts in season eight!

Comment

* I forgot to mention that Buffy's, Willow's, and Spike's being in the camp doesn't make any sense simply because Riley Finn and 'the Initiative' would have prevented such a thing.

* Willow could have simply teleported Buffy, Spike, and she out of the country if the United States is the only place affected by such policies.

* The fallout of BtVS S8 has tainted everything post-BtVS S8; there are some who happily enjoyed Season 9 by ignoring or dismissing what Angel did in BtVS S8, but they are a small minority. Things simply get increasingly worse after Season 9.
                        Last edited by MikeB; 26-05-17, 03:32 AM. Reason: spelling error: wrote "hey" instead of "they"

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
                          * I forgot to mention that Buffy's, Willow's, and Spike's being in the camp doesn't make any sense simply because Riley Finn and 'the Initiative' would have prevented such a thing.
                          So many things wrong with this statement...

The Initiative doesn't exist any more. Riley doesn't get to dictate government policy, seriously what gives you the idea that he has that much power? Willow surrendered herself to the camp so that she could protect the weaker Wiccans -even if Riley could have given her immunity she wouldn't have taken it because she would still feel responsible for her coven. Buffy never had to be there in the first place, Slayers are already immune. She surrendered herself in order to protect and be with Spike. Riley likely doesn't give a shit about Spike in and of himself, his offer for extra rations and deportation is likely a courtesy towards Buffy -if she wasn't with Spike then I doubt Riley would much care what happens to him.

* Willow could have simply teleported Buffy, Spike, and she out of the country if the United States is the only place affected by such policies.
                          Could she? Have we seen her teleport across continents since the new rules of magic were established? I'm not saying that she couldn't, but I wouldn't take it as a given that she could either.

And she would still want to protect her coven. That's why she stayed, that's why she surrendered. Even if she could teleport away, it's a moot point if her coven is still living in danger under the Safe Zone.

* The fallout of BtVS S8 has tainted everything post-BtVS S8; there are some who happily enjoyed Season 9 by ignoring or dismissing what Angel did in BtVS S8, but they are a small minority. Things simply get increasingly worse after Season 9.
                          Every season has people who dislike it. I love how you are the one who is always qualified to speak for the majority of people...

Comment

Originally posted by a thing of evil View Post
                            @betta

It's not that - basically, there's just nothing particularly exciting or surprising in this issue. And I don't mind dialogue heavy issues - when the dialog is good. OK, Buffy and Spike have some fun sexy lines but that conversation between Buffy and Willow? It's trash. It's overwritten, there's no rhythm to it and for goodness' sake, Willow doesn't even talk like this. Willow doesn't make *speeches* at people. That's, like, exclusively Buffy's thing!
                            That whole thing was pretty absurd. Helpless was a good episode. Gage should watch it.

Comment

Vampire In Rug

* Riley's the reason Buffy apparently got diplomatic immunity after BtVS S8. Riley's the reason Spike's chip was removed; obviously, Riley could prevent Spike's being in the camp.

* Willow cannot protect anyone without her magic. Hers being in the camp is beyond silly: remember what she did in Season 9?

* Buffy didn't need to be in the camp. Spike and she could have simply moved to another country. Willow could have simply teleported them all out.

* Riley would remember BtVS S8. Why wouldn't Riley care about Spike?

- It's still not believable that Riley didn't tell anyone in the United States Government that Angel is Twilight.

Every season has people who dislike it. I love how you are the one who is always qualified to speak for the majority of people...
                              That's beyond laughable. Season 11 apparently has a minuscule readership; it's fact the "majority of people" don't like it.

It's easily argued that maybe Willow shouldn't have magic: Dark Willow, Willow's reaction to the existence of the Seed, Season 9. What is plain is Angel was on-balance rewarded for his Season 8 actions. What is plain is the hero of Season 8 -- Spike -- has been the most lessened since Season 8: no bug ship, now living in a camp, etc. Buffy's by-far been the most punished for Season 8: no Slayer and Co., the indignity of working for Kennedy, Spike's being gone for most of Season 9, now living in a camp, now powerless.

It's simply irrational to be okay with this.

Btw, it seems the vast majority of Buffyverse fans ignore Season 8 and even more ignore post-Season 8 (including probably some former regulars of this Board).

Comment

Working...
                              X