The Season 11 Thread - Discussion, Speculation and News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Season 11 Thread - Discussion, Speculation and News

Season 11 news is now hitting so I'll opening the thread and bring over the USA Today article.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/e...ries/87265744/

Spoiler:
    Exclusive: 'Buffy' comic raises the Slayer stakes with a Season 11

Brian Truitt, USA TODAY

In case you were wondering if Buffy Summers still had a stake in pop culture, consider this: Joss Whedon’s about to begin a Season 11 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the actual TV series ended 13 years ago!

Through the magic of comic books, Buffy’s continued its saga past the seven years of the cult show in Dark Horse Comics projects with Whedon guiding the storytelling as an executive producer. Kicking off Nov. 23 and featuring the creative team of Season 10 — writer Christos Gage and artist Rebekah Isaacs — Buffy Season 11 kicks off with everybody’s favorite Slayer and her friends, the Scoobies, living in San Francisco.

Buffy is keeping San Francisco safe from supernatural threats in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" Season 11.

What else you need to know to catch up: Buffy and Spike are trying to give a real honest relationship a try, the world knows the existence of the supernatural (Sunnydale falling into a Hellmouth will do that sort of thing), Giles is trapped in the body of his 13-year-old self, and thanks to the magic of comic-book time, Buffy is still in her mid-20s. (Feel free to catch up with the collections of Season 8, 9 and 10.)

Gage gives us the exclusive scoop on what’s up for Season 11:

A supernatural disaster is afoot!

“Previous apocalypses have been of the world-ending variety, and they’ve tended to threaten toward the end of a season. This one kicks off Season 11, and it’s not quite world-ending — more world-changing. It’s the way the world changes that will provide new challenges for Buffy and the Scoobies, of a kind they’ve never faced before.”

Spike and Willow have juicy roles.

“Spike has been maturing quite a bit as he comes to terms with being in a normal, healthy relationship, and being one of the good guys. And now, just as he’s getting comfortable with it, that role is going to be sorely tested. Willow has become a leader of a Wiccan community, and it’s brought her a lot of fulfillment, but it will also bring new challenges as events of the story unfold. We really wanted to explore this facet of Willow that, while it’s been a key part of her character for years, hasn’t really been a major focus.”

There's a spicy blend of old and new.

“We’ll be introducing some new characters, including a Slayer named Morgan — is she ally, or enemy, or both? But old favorites like Harmony will still be popping up here and there. Andrew isn’t around much this time, but will show himself to be probably the smartest of the bunch. As Joss described one of his goals for this season: ‘Raise the … wait for it … stakes.’ We’re ramping up the intensity, and we want to really see how it affects these people we care about so much.”

“Absolutely, or he wouldn’t be doing it. He’s incredibly busy. He can do anything he wants to, creatively: TV, movies, comics. The only reason he has to be involved in this is his love for the characters and telling stories with them.”

We might need Buffy more than ever.

“Well, she’s awesome. She’s a character so many people identify with, of all ages, races, genders, sexual orientations and backgrounds. And Buffy is still very relevant. Joss mentioned some of the concerns and fears he has about the world, especially as a father, and wanted to reflect them in the story. We discussed the tumultuous times we live in, the way it feels like we as Americans, and as citizens of the world in general, are perhaps more divided than ever. And we realized that Buffy and her world are able to reflect ours as well now as they did at the turn of the century.”

SLAY, QUEEN!

ETA

A mod can move this to its own sub board when one is opened if you want to.

Updated

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...mics-season-11

Spoiler:
    "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" Will Travel to San Francisco for Dark Horse Comics' "Season 11"

Christos Gage and Rebekah Isaacs will continue the adventures of the cult classic character in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 11."

Meagan Damore, Assistant Editor

Writer Christos Gage and artist Rebekah Isaacs will continue the adventures of the cult classic character Buffy Summers in Dark Horse Comics' "Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 11," with show creator Joss Whedon acting as the series' executive producer. According to USA Today, Buffy and the Scoobies will be living in San Francisco when the series picks up.

When "Season 11" opens, Buffy and Spike will be attempting to live out a normal relationship. Giles will still be stuck as a 13-year-old, while Buffy remains a young adult in her mid-20s and the world continues to be aware of the presence of the supernatural following Sunnydale's epic clash with a Hellmouth.

"Spike has been maturing quite a bit as he comes to terms with being in a normal, healthy relationship, and being one of the good guys. And now, just as he's getting comfortable with it, that role is going to be sorely tested," Gage revealed. "Willow has become a leader of a Wiccan community, and it's brought her a lot of fulfillment, but it will also bring new challenges as events of the story unfold. We really wanted to explore this facet of Willow that, while it's been a key part of her character for years, hasn't really been a major focus."

"We'll be introducing some new characters, including a Slayer named Morgan -- is she ally, or enemy, or both? But old favorites like Harmony will still be popping up here and there," he continued. "Andrew isn't around much this time, but will show himself to be probably the smartest of the bunch. As Joss described one of his goals for this season: 'Raise the … wait for it … stakes.' We're ramping up the intensity, and we want to really see how it affects these people we care about so much."

As to "Season 11's" big threat, he added, "Previous apocalypses have been of the world-ending variety, and they've tended to threaten toward the end of a season. This one kicks off 'Season 11,' and it's not quite world-ending -- more world-changing. It's the way the world changes that will provide new challenges for Buffy and the Scoobies, of a kind they've never faced before."

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 11" goes on sale November 23.

Christos Gage was asked about Angel & Faith on twitter.

https://twitter.com/Christosgage/sta...37916155891712

Dragon King ‏@CW_Deathstroke · 2h2 hours ago

@Christosgage will Angel and Faith join the Season 11 book of Buffy or will they get their own series in London again ?

Christos Gage‏@Christosgage

@CW_Deathstroke stay tuned!

Updated

Buffy Season 11 press release.Season 11 to be only 12 issue long.

http://comicbuzz.com/2016/07/dark-ho...yer-season-11/

By Shabbir -

Dark Horse and Joss Whedon Announce Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 11

SAN DIEGO, Calif., July 19, 2016 — Dark Horse is excited to announce the next installment in Joss Whedon’s Buffy comics series, Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 11. The talented comics duo of Christos Gage (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10, Avengers Academy) and Rebekah Isaacs (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10, Angel & Faith) returns with more shenanigans from the Scoobies.

After overcoming the struggles of Season 10, Buffy and the Scoobies give themselves a well-deserved break from fighting evil. Unfortunately, the momentary peace comes to a screeching halt when a supernatural disaster wreaks havoc on the citizens of San Francisco, and the gang is forced to save the world from imminent doom, again.

Buffy Season 10 writer Christos Gage described his excitement for the next season of the beloved supernatural thriller: “Buffy fans have been wonderful to Rebekah and me throughout Season 10, so I couldn’t be more excited to keep our creative team together for Season 11! True to form, Joss is not content to just rest on his well-earned laurels, so Season 11 will shake things up with a story that’s shorter, bigger, more epic, and presents what may be the greatest challenge Buffy and the Scoobies have ever faced. We hope the readers will enjoy the ride!”

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 11 will have twelve issues total. The first issue goes on sale November 23, 2016. Karl Moline (Fray) will create a special Dark Horse 30th Anniversary variant cover for the first issue.

Buffy creator Joss Whedon is signing on Saturday, July 23, from 5 p.m. to 5:50 p.m.in the Dark Horse booth at San Diego Comic-Con. Christos Gage will sign from 1 p.m. to 1:50 p.m. on Thursday, July 21.
    Last edited by BAF; 19-07-16, 09:42 PM.

Wow, that is really short. I wonder if that increases the likelihood of minis and/or if by 'bigger, more epic' they mean to increase the pages and have bigger issues to get more pace into the story??

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
      Wow, that is really short. I wonder if that increases the likelihood of minis and/or if by 'bigger, more epic' they mean to increase the pages and have bigger issues to get more pace into the story??
      I don't think it means a bigger page count.I think it means a more large scale epic but tighter story.I'm speculating but a equivalent to a movie verses a tv season.Sort of what Angel:After The Fall was vs the Seasons 8-10 comics.

I'm sure we'll be getting a lot of info Thursday at SDCC.

Comment

I'm OK with a 12 issue season - less filler, 1 season/1 year TV-like format, tighter writing, hopefully less characters. Looking forward to it!

Comment

'Bigger more epic' for me would be having both casts in one book. And you'd think they would have announced A & F with the Buffy story if they were doing multiple books still, but Gage wasn't the only writer at the summit. Plus we still don't know why they had Bill Harris either. This should hopefully prevent a 'filler' problem which A & F suffered from in S10. Though if it is both casts we might get a page increase somewhat. The Avatar the Last Airbender comics also by DH release every 4 months but with 70 pages of story, so maybe S11 will be somewhere between that and what S10 was.

I'd like to see the Angel characters a bit more, even if its just Gunn & Connor and someone better tell Spike soon about Fred/Illyria.

A multi-team W & H arc? They wouldn't 'end' the world but they would change it and so far they are the only concrete hint we have for the future (not counting Peal and Amy who are small fries anyway).

Comment

12 issues isn't short for well-written comics. That's the length of Watchmen, V for Vendetta (when compiled as American comics), Camelot 3000 and Batman: The Long Halloween. It's longer than Dark Knight Returns, Daredevil: Born Again and many other arcs.

I wonder if the brevity is to wrap things up before a live-action continuation.

Oh, and one more thing...
            Spoiler:
            A slayer called Morgan? Sure, it could just be a Morgan le Fay type name, but when we just saw Lilah Morgan return? I have to wonder if that's a last name rather than a first.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckRobin View Post
              12 issues isn't short for well-written comics. That's the length of Watchmen, V for Vendetta (when compiled as American comics), Camelot 3000 and Batman: The Long Halloween. It's longer than Dark Knight Returns, Daredevil: Born Again and many other arcs.
              Agreed.All Star Superman is one of my favorites as well and that was 12 issues too.

I wonder if the brevity is to wrap things up before a live-action continuation.
              Christos Gage on twitter just made some comments about why the 12 issue length.

https://twitter.com/Christosgage/with_replies

Dragon King ‏@CW_Deathstroke · 3h3 hours ago

@Christosgage how come Buffy S11 is only 12 issues ? Thats only half as long as S9 & 10. Is this wrapping up the series?

@CW_Deathstroke creative decision. Wanted to tell one big epic story and 12 seemed right

Angelic Lestat ‏@angelic_lestat · 2h2 hours ago

@SlayAliveForum @Christosgage @USATODAY No new Angel&Faith then? Or yet to be announced?

@angelic_lestat @SlayAliveForum @USATODAY stay tuned

Updated

A few more Gage Tweets.

https://twitter.com/Christosgage/with_replies

Dragon King ‏@CW_Deathstroke · 12h12 hours ago

@Christosgage so this is more like an event series ? Like what DC did with Darkseid War ? any plans for a S12 after that?

@CW_Deathstroke Didn't read Darkseid War but probably. As for S12 it's WAY too early to even think about!

Dragon King ‏@CW_Deathstroke · 9h9 hours ago

@Christosgage you didn´t ? You should get on that, it´s amazing !! One of the biggest DC epics ever told. and jason faboks art is godly

@Christosgage Darkseid War was a 10 part huge event series which was exclusively told within the Justice League series (issues 41-50)

@Christosgage as for S12, let me rephrase my question - is Season 11´s format designed to end the entire series after 12 issues ?

@CW_Deathstroke Nope

Comment

I don't think epic means all that much. Joss originally got Angel back from IDW to tell some big epic story and look how that went.

12 issues is good. Frankly, 9 and 10 could have been 12 issues. Probably should've. Just focus on one arc, a "movie" style story.

Not too sure about Spike and the implication of "Will Spike go evil #2231553". Spike's been comfortably a good guy now for as long as he was a bad one.

Comment

Nobody is seeing the big news about this...apparently Willow is finally going to lead her own coven! I think this is a trial run for a Willow spinoff.

Comment

I strongly doubt it. I don't think the readership is big enough anymore to split it further.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
                      I strongly doubt it. I don't think the readership is big enough anymore to split it further.
                      Willow and Spike fans are the majority of people still reading. So yeah, I doubt they'll be split up. Could be that A&F will be S11b and pick up after #12 or somewhere midway through. They have the license paid for; it'd be surprising if they actually shelved them.

Comment

You know what, as long as Willow has something that's truly her own, like without Buffy, I'll be satisfied. I don't think that she needs her own series to be awesome - would never say no to a nice mini or a one-shot of course.

Willow and Spike fans are the majority of people still reading.
                        Well, yeah, that's, like, 99% of the fans. There are some people that don't like Spike and there are some women that don't like Willow but both of them? Died years ago - blood pressure, too much salt.

Comment

Originally posted by HardlyThere View Post
                          Not too sure about Spike and the implication of "Will Spike go evil #2231553". Spike's been comfortably a good guy now for as long as he was a bad one.
                          I keep hoping this isn't what they are hinting at because that really isn't Spike's story, it is Angel's. I don't hold with people saying Spike 'stole' Angel's story or what not just because he has fallen in love with Buffy and gotten his soul back, because their paths were/are very different. The unstable soul, the risk of becoming evil again etc is Angel's dilemma/drama. Because Spike's path led him there it just doesn't work the same and it shouldn't. His issues are with his inability to walk in the light, be man not monster etc etc. Practicalities of day to day living and being between dark/light no matter how much he tries are struggles for him. I could see things getting complicated if Dru turns up but the threat of losing his soul lacks drama with Spike for me. We'll see what we get!

Comment

Well, yeah, that's, like, 99% of the fans. There are some people that don't like Spike and there are some women that don't like Willow but both of them? Died years ago - blood pressure, too much salt.
                            More like 99% of fandom. Fandom =/= general audience. In terms of people still reading who are first and foremost fans of a character, those are the top spots followed by Xander. For instance the decent Buffy-centric Freaks and Geeks book, which I guess is canon, barely sold more than the horrible non-canon Spike: Into the Light. What I meant was, in terms of sales, dropping Spike and Willow would probably have the biggest impact on their numbers, hence affirmations to fans they'll be central figures next run. To split them off on their own would probably result badly, even worse than A/F.

I keep hoping this isn't what they are hinting at because that really isn't Spike's story, it is Angel's. I don't hold with people saying Spike 'stole' Angel's story or what not just because he has fallen in love with Buffy and gotten his soul back, because their paths were/are very different. The unstable soul, the risk of becoming evil again etc is Angel's dilemma/drama. Because Spike's path led him there it just doesn't work the same and it shouldn't. His issues are with his inability to walk in the light, be man not monster etc etc. Practicalities of day to day living and being between dark/light no matter how much he tries are struggles for him. I could see things getting complicated if Dru turns up but the threat of losing his soul lacks drama with Spike for me. We'll see what we get!
                            They've dropped so many Spike losing his soul hints I don't think it means a thing anymore. I'm sure there will be a "Will he do it?" :O climax somewhere like EoD/Chosen or Just Rewards, but there is no way they could have Spike go evil or even compromised like Angel and have it make sense. Which is not to say they won't try.

Also, I'm side-eyeing the whole Joss/Gage using their real world beliefs for storylines thing. That's how we ended up with robo-abortion and the lamentable people love vamps and hate slayers 'cause slayers are women allegory/silliness.

Comment

More like 99% of fandom. Fandom =/= general audience.
                              I don't know, I think that Spike and Willow are ludicrously popular among the casual audience. There was this buzzfeed poll and I know, buzzfeed, but it was as general audience as it gets and had tens of thousands of votes. You're not gonna get better data. Check it out I knew that Spike and Willow were popular, I mean, duh, but I didn't expect them to be this popular!

Also, I'm side-eyeing the whole Joss/Gage using their real world beliefs for storylines thing. That's how we ended up with robo-abortion and the lamentable people love vamps and hate slayers 'cause slayers are women allegory/silliness.
                              I usually just try to take those things at face value. I'm not into politics ( I always vote though - I ask my friends/family who's the least worst option and/or pick the most attractive people ) don't really follow the news either so that helps, I suppose.

people love vamps and hate slayers 'cause slayers are women allegory
                              Wasn't that just a jab at the whole "Twilight" craze?

Comment

Working...
                              X