S10 Spuffy mind walk and it's consequences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S10 Spuffy mind walk and it's consequences

So here we go about one of my most favorite comic moments.
    What do you guys think will that mind-walk have other consequences? like did it somehow tempered with Spike's memories like here:

I would like to think that, aside from the obvious high points shown in the panels, Buffy discovered lots of other pertinent memories about Spike's involvement in matters where he has helped out but not taken credit. Didn't he help restore Giles over on Angel and Faith? Not a huge role but he helped in the process. I can't speak from reading it myself it's just what I've come to glean elsewhere.
    You know what I am. You've always known. You come to me all the same.

"There's a lot of comedy to be gotten from the world's doom spiral right now." Tracey Ullman, June 2018

Comment

Didn't Buffy only see the trail she followed? I didn't get the feeling she saw all of spike's memories. I'm really glad it happened. They had been moving into a closer relationship for about 10 years (haha), okay let's just say for a long time and this allowed Buffy to see some important things. Specifically how Spike views her, how he loves her so much she glows in his view point and also what he went through to get his soul. How much it meant to him, why he did it. She saw they had things in common when it came to relationships; fears, insecurities etc. The mind walk lets them put some of that behind them.

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

It's just wishful thinking on my part. I love it that Buffy feels his pain when he fights for and regains his soul. He's never shared that with her and he's come a long long way from the Spike who loved to brag.
        You know what I am. You've always known. You come to me all the same.

"There's a lot of comedy to be gotten from the world's doom spiral right now." Tracey Ullman, June 2018

Comment

Originally posted by debbicles View Post
          It's just wishful thinking on my part. I love it that Buffy feels his pain when he fights for and regains his soul. He's never shared that with her and he's come a long long way from the Spike who loved to brag.
          Exactly and seeing him getting his soul made her cry and she said something like i never knew it was so painful, that was for audience too about how much of a sacrifice it was for him and it was not easy to get his soul

Comment

I know I've shared these thoughts before but I'm going to copy them here because I'm a little more mixed in my response to the mindwalk. I wasn't completely comfortable with Buffy's 'I'll let you know what I think when I've had time to process' pov afterwards, or the part that left an imprint of Buffy's presence, if it was literal. With the former, mostly because it held an unequal footing between them. He's left hanging not knowing if she'll decide it was too unpleasant to experience the pleasure he'd taken in killing. At that moment it felt more Slayer and vampire to me, that he's under her jurisdiction, than a couple considering how they both found the situation difficult. Possibly it's that his fears of being seen like a monster, still being a monster within, just run deeper than Buffy realises, so she didn't really understand his worry about her response. It just seemed hard to be vague and not reassuring to me. But at the same time, she shouldn't say she's comfortable with it all if she isn't sure she is.

If this is then followed by the strength of his soul overriding his demonic nature being possible due to her presence disrupting his memories, it doesn't improve the former either. That would be her governing him too, and literally. Personally I think the images of her reactions ended up being symbolic, a reminder of his current self within his past, breaking the hold Archaeus had to his 'evil' deeds when the soul wasn't there within the memory. She's there as him almost, the connection to who he is now. Looked at in that sense I don't think her presence changes the memories but adds an additional layer, almost weakening the 'now' in his demon driven memories for his souled self to respond to the memory. So it's still 'him' breaking the control, his soul taking control again, not Buffy breaking the hold for him, if you see what I mean. It's a distinction that I think is quite important so I'm going with it unless we unequivocally learn otherwise.

For me, any notion Spike's inner control comes from Buffy in any more meaningful a way than how he feels about her/their relationship is just uncomfortable if it takes autonomy away. It would be the same if he lost his soul and they decided that she could substitute for his conscience. If there's no way to regain the soul (like the soul-glutton scenario), I can understand they might want to try to find a solution, but I don't think being together with him unsouled again could work. You'd have to address that unsouled he is the same person that committed some incredibly heinous acts and enjoyed them. But certainly I don't think it's a tenable or even vaguely positive situation for her to be responsible for his choices. Really it just hits so close to simply flagging again why he needed the soul in the first place, what an issue it can be if he has those moral/emotional limitations. For Buffy to act as his moral compass, is just doomed for eventual failure again because the strength isn't coming from him.

But I do think that they moved on together positively when she showed her belief in him. That they left the whole event walking hand in hand, with her acknowledging what he gives her too, it evened it all back out for me to a pretty positive end point thankfully. So I suppose really I'm saying that I hope there aren't bigger or more significant revelations from it.
            Last edited by Stoney; 16-02-18, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X