The Season 10 Thread 2 - Discussion, Speculation and News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My ingredients to saving Buffy:

1. Buffy kills Angel. (She should have done this in Season 8).
    2. Faith dies which helps reset the Slayer line back to normal.
    3. Giles decides to leave Buffy behind by having a normal childhood - gets his memory wiped.
    4. Willow and Amy reconcile, leading their own coven.
    5 Either Spike or Xander becomes Buffy's new Watcher.

Comment

He always seemed to enjoy being on the project, wish him the best.

With Sierra, Nick, Will and Victor all be relatively new to the comics, it does feel like one final shift before they end. I would assume if/when Avengers 2 becomes a success Marvel will want to keep him busy for years to come and he's also got the other personal projects he wants to do. Many of the original S8 writers are similarly preoccupied. They haven't said S10 is the end, but they may change that, or after S10 is done give it one final S11 for a year or two to wrap it up.

Comment

I am also curious about what this means going forward.Sierra Hahn is taking over as Buffyverse editor starting with Season 10.I'm assuming the major beats of season 10 are set(back at the original writers summit)but I'm curious about if this will change anything down the line in season 10 and what and what not will come after that.Also I wonder what is the actual last issue of Buffy that Scott is the editor on.Maybe part 2 of the interview will answer some of this.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=56147

NYCC: Allie Steps Away From Dark Horse Comics' "Buffy"

The longtime editor and occasional writer on Joss Whedon's "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" comics is leaving Sunnydale after 16 years with the Scoobies.

Kiel Phegley, Staff Writer

While the world of Joss Whedon's "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" continues in four color form at Dark Horse, the stories of the Scooby gang will keep on into 2015 without a familiar face: editor Scott Allie.

The now Editor-in-Chief of the publisher has been editing comics featuring the characters from the cult TV show for 16 years including early canonical expansions such as the comics adaptation of Whedon's original "Buffy" movie script, the future spinoff "Fray" and over the past several years the official "Season" continuation series.

But with his job responsibilities mounting and a new baby daughter at home, Allie announced to the Buffy Fest blog that he would be stepping away from the books he's edited and co-written for nearly two decades.

"It's really surprisingly hard to think about not being involved in creating these stories anymore. It's weird how much a part of my life these characters have been," he said thanking Whedon and many of the other creators including Jane Espenson and Cliff Richards. "I love working with all of them... but it's weird to walk away from a world that's defined your career."

The currently running "Season 10" series will be taken over by longtime Dark Horse Editor and former "Buffy" assistant Sierra Hahn. "In order to focus on my Editor-in-Chief responsibilities, I'm giving up some books. And Sierra had worked so closely with me and so closely with Joss that this was a thing that makes sense," Allie explained.

For more Dark Horse news coming out of New York Comic Con, stay tuned to CBR all weekend long.

ETA

Long-time Editor Steps Down From Dark Horse’s BUFFY Comics

http://www.newsarama.com/22360-long-...fy-comics.html

- - - Updated - - -

Part 2 of Buffyfests Scott Allie departure interview.

http://buffyfest.blogspot.com/2014/1...interview.html

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Part 2 of Buffyfest's Final Interview with Scott Allie on Retiring from 'Buffy'

As we reported earlier today, Scott Allie is stepping down from editing the Whedonverse titles at Dark Horse after having the role, well, forever. The simple fact is, there's never been a Buffy comic without Scott Allie and saying goodbye to him today has been particularly hard.

For those wondering how the transition will take place to the new Buffy editor Sierra Hahn, Scott had this to say:

"We work on the books pretty far out. I actually haven’t lifted a finger on a Whedon book since shortly after San Diego [Comic Con in July], but I’d edited scripts up to #11, I’d handled some covers, some collections, and of course the basic story line of all of Season 10 was worked out in Hollywood well over a year ago in a meeting that I mostly ran … So there’s not a month or even an issue where you can say, "He’s out!” and yet, on the other hand, I am indeed out, and Sierra’s steering the whole thing on her own."

Watch below to see the second part of our interview with Scott where he talks about what he's learned from working with Joss Whedon, how Buffy should end and his future with Abe Sapien.

Scott Allie, we cannot thank you enough for your work and dedication to the Whedonverse fandom. You will be sorely missed. I think we can speak for everyone when we say: We wish you the best of luck and happiness to you in everything you do. Your career accomplishments are kick-ass and you're an inspiration to many. Most of all, you've been a great friend to Buffyfest, and we'll never forget it.

Now can he rest Buffyverse? Can he rest?

Bullet Points.

1)The topic started on best or worst fan experience.Joked,that this is about Buffy/Spike isn't it?.But his prespective is from his joy with working with Joss and the writers and artist and knowing they did what they thought was best for the characters and story.One of his most powerful moments was the season 8 Buffy cover for issue 5.The Buffy wants you to be strong cover.Felt they tapped into the core of what Buffy is all about and put out something good into the world.He's really pleased they did the abortion story in season 9.He loved how Andrew Chamblis did that wehether fans liked it or not.

2)Talks about what made him want to become a writer in the first place.

3)Hpw would he like Buffy to progress?Well it's weird because they worked out season 10 and know everything in season 10 so first he hopes they execute everything in season 10.That they stay on target and deliver the story the way it was intended and finds the better ways to deliver said story.He's still Editor and Chief but Sierra Hahn doesn't need a lot of supervision.He'll be reading the comics and still brainstorming with her when needed but it will be a lot different from before.It's not like it will be a case where he reads a issue and goes"WOW,I didn't know that was going to happen."He does think about how he would like to see the Buffy series end a lot.He believes stories need endings.A story needs a finish or it's not a story.It is a things he,Joss and Sierra have talked about.over time but he feels it just doesn't need to happen yet and not for commercial reasons but for story reasons.Where Buffy's going is a little bit farther.Wherever Season 10 is going to leave us,it's not 30 issues from the end of Buffy.Like Season 11 should be the last.But it's scary because he loves this world so much that even having a conversation about it,like Joss how does she die is like or does she die?It's like he has asked that question but is it like a question he wants to probe deeply for an answer to.Does her story end with her death or does it end somewhere else?Does she get a happy ending and does she get to leave this behind?Scott doesn't know if Joss knows but it would be nice if at some point in the future Joss can come back and be more involved and be the guy who ends it.And does it in comics but who knows when.It doesn't have to happen next year.

4)Talks how working with Joss has influenced his more recent work.He';s learned so much.

5)Talks about his writing the Abe Sapien story right now.Got some advice from Amber Benson that he should write his own thing eventually but right now his focus is on Abe.Talks about why Buffy fans should check out Abe Sapien.
        Last edited by BAF; 10-10-14, 12:15 PM.

Comment

The question that needs answering is does this mean the "Buffyverse" ends when Buffy turns off the light? For example, do we know whether or not Marvel would be interested in purchasing the Buffy copyright from Dark Horse? Like bringing Buffy to the Avengers, for example?

Comment

Originally posted by DorothyFan1 View Post
            The question that needs answering is does this mean the "Buffyverse" ends when Buffy turns off the light? For example, do we know whether or not Marvel would be interested in purchasing the Buffy copyright from Dark Horse? Like bringing Buffy to the Avengers, for example?
            Very doubtful that would happen.Dark Horse doesn't own Buffy.20th Century Fox does.Dark Horse license the rights to publish Buffyverse comics from FOX.

The reason Dark Horse np longer will publish Star Wars comics and Marvel will is because Lucasfilm which owns Star Wars was bought by Disney.Disney also owns Marvel.So Disney ended/chose not to renew Dark Horse's license deal to publish Star Wars comics so their own comic company Marvel can publish it.

FOX has no reason to end their deal with Dark Horse to publish the Whedonverse and don't forget FOX license the rights to publish the Alien and Predotor franchises to Dark Horse too.FOX has a good relationship with Dark Horse.

Plus FOX would never take the Buffyverse license to Marvel since FOX and Marvel are on very bad terms over FOX having the rights the X-Men and The Fantastic Four franchise.There is a lot of bad blood there that's actually been getting much media attention lately.So even if FOX wanted to take the Buffyverse/Whedonvere to another comic company,the last place would be to Marvel.
            Last edited by BAF; 10-10-14, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Wait a minute...didn't I hear that Joss Whedon only owns the copyright to the Buffy, Giles and Angel characters? That Fox owns the rights to Willow, Spike, etc separately? This suggests even if Joss decides to end Buffy...he wouldn't be able to stop Fox for doing a spinoff with Spike and Willow, for example.

Comment

As far as I know FOX owns all of the Buffyverse characters.

Comment

Originally posted by DorothyFan1 View Post
                  My ingredients to saving Buffy:

1. Buffy kills Angel. (She should have done this in Season 8).
                  2. Faith dies which helps reset the Slayer line back to normal.
                  3. Giles decides to leave Buffy behind by having a normal childhood - gets his memory wiped.
                  4. Willow and Amy reconcile, leading their own coven.
                  5 Either Spike or Xander becomes Buffy's new Watcher.
                  Wait, what? How would that work?
                  You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Originally posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
                    Wait, what? How would that work?
                    I'm assuming DorothyFan is referring to the fact Faith was the last Slayer activated by the normal Slayer line and assumes her death would activate a new Slayer again since it is apparently still deactivated from the end of S8. I think this is unlikely if only because Faith is a titular character now and the odds of killing her off in a finale issue where she started the book trying to find her own direction in life are slim.

Comment

If Faith is a titular comic personality assumes the theory her character can exist separately from the Buffyverse if Dark Horse decides to stop publishing Buffy books. It's going to be interesting to see if Fox decides to shop around for another comic book publisher. So even if Joss says "No Mas" for Buffy...it doesn't necessarily follow that Fox has to follow Joss's wishes because *they* own the Buffy copyrights and not Joss Whedon, correct?

I'm still not clear on the Buffy copyright issue because I do recall the only reason the studio was willing to consider fronting a Buffy movie without Joss Whedon was because they had the rights to Buffy, Giles and Angel. If I remember correctly the Buffy movie wasn't going to showcase the Scoobies because the studio didn't have the copyrights to the rest of Buffy's gang. So this means if the Buffy comic ends...Fox could continue the remaining Buffy characters under a different comic book publisher.

Comment

Dark Horse January 2015 Buffyverse comics.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=56302

Spoiler:
                        Angel & Faith Season 10 #10

Victor Gischler (W), Will Conrad (P/Variant cover), Michelle Madsen (C), and Scott Fischer (Cover)

On sale Jan 7
                        FC, 32 pages
                        $3.50
                        Ongoing

While Faith fights the newest breed of vampires to save Riley, she's shocked when she discovers the identity of their illustrious leader . . . Then, in London, Angel calls in a favor to deal with Amy's trap!

"Angel & Faith Season 10 continues to twist an entertaining take."—Unleash the Fanboy

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #11

Christos Gage (W), Nicholas Brendon (W), Megan Levens (A), Dan Jackson (C), Steve Morris (Cover), Rebekah Isaacs (Variant cover), and Georges Jeanty and Tariq Hassan (Birthday variant cover)

On sale Jan 21
                        FC, 32 pages
                        $3.50
                        Ongoing

With the magical side of things momentarily under control, Buffy and crew have a chance to deal with their personal lives: things heat up between Xander and Dawn, young Giles is visited by an old flame, Andrew introduces some new friends, and the Slayer is totally set for round one of speed dating! Then the bad guy shows up.

• Secrets are revealed!
                        • Buffy celebrates her birthday this month with a special cover by Georges Jeanty!

Angel & Faith Season 9 Library Edition Volume 1 HC

Christos Gage (W), Rebekah Isaacs (A), Phil Noto (A), Chris Samnee (A), Dan Jackson (C), Jordie Bellaire (C), and Steve Morris (Cover)
                        On sale Mar 11

FC, 288 pages
                        $29.99
                        HC, 8" x 12 1/4"

The death of Buffy's mentor at Angel's (possessed) hand has the vampire looking to make amends by bringing the Watcher back to life. Faith, rebel Slayer, is helping, if only to keep Angel from going too far. But there's more keeping this duo's swords ready: demon twins, Angel's former guide Whistler, Faith's Slayer sisters, and vampire Drusilla! Collects Angel & Faith Season 9 Volumes 1–2.

• Expanded sketchbook and deluxe oversized format.

Comment

So, A & F is doing another 5 part arc then? Sounds like they are dragging out Faith and Riley actually talking about anything until the ending? Who could this leader be? All the demons that mean anything to Faith are dead, unless it's Drusilla and they've scrapped plans for that miniseries. A lot less likely possibility is maybe her father got sired I guess. Why would Nadira owe Angel a favor unless the cover is a misdirect, and the blurb actually means the Aunts?

I assume that is Olivia with Giles? That could be an interesting personal arc. Is Willow trying to have mystic sex with Aluwyn again? Who wants to bet Andrew's "new friends" are related to the bad guy? I think Harmony might still be in this issue if I remember what Christos said at SDCC correctly.
                          Last edited by DanSlayer; 15-10-14, 12:16 AM.

Comment

I might stop reading the solicits. They are (seeming) detailed enough that it spoils bits of the issues leading up to it in a way they didn't use to. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it has changed.

Comment

I assume that is Olivia with Giles?
                              That was my guess.

Comment

I really hope the leader of the tribal vampires isn't Wood. Poor bastard doesn't need his story to end like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X